Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Great post from Mollser in the daily thread

Don't give RTE TV views, don't use their horrible Player and don't give their website clicks

I'm surprised anyone still pays attention to RTE. I stopped about 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm surprised anyone still pays attention to RTE. I stopped about 6 months ago.

You'd be surprised

Just see the daily thread when there's Covid related programming

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭alentejo

I know several people who have just given up watching the news and current affairs. Its just too much!

I

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Was watching rte news first time in a while. It really is a shameless Nphet mouth piece. Trying to create some kind of imaginary narrative that there is mass criticism of the Tanaiste- you would hardly get it on Pravda. I’m so glad I never pay that corrupt TV licence and never will and happily RTEs finances continue to get worse.
    I feel sorry for the aul biddies that follow this obsolete station as gospel

Course R Glynns wife is in rte- so go figure

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

RTE are fantastic. Most watched and respected news source in the country. Long may they reign

RTE are fantastic. Most watched and respected news source in the country. Long may they reign

They’re in rude health -
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/rte-expects-loss-of-32m-as-coronavirus-hits-ad-revenues-39471184.html

You're not even trying anymore

large.595a49e5c89fb_DontFeedtheTrolls.gif.cb3d7ea7b471cf83997cccc0bd27c79a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

The way people have been talking about the Leo Varadker interview with Claire Byrne has been blown way out of proportion. I watched it live and what he said was very reasonable. Lets recap some of the 'vitriol' spewing from the Tanaiste. "was not thought through...should not have happened.. landed on us a surprise"
    I mean, that all sounds reasonable enough to me. Some journalists going on as if he drove a bus over Tony. Seriously? A lot of the rhetoric in the media is about how NPHET are effectively the Government. But when the Tanaiste blows that out of the water, the narrative turns to how disrespectul they are to NPHET? A lot in the media, RTE included, are gaslighters. Claire Byrne was shocking last night, immediately jumping in with how shes losing confidence in the CMO. If Leo was kind to Tony Holohan, she'd attack Leo for letting Tony off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The way people have been talking about the Leo Varadker interview with Claire Byrne has been blown way out of proportion. I watched it live and what he said was very reasonable. Lets recap some of the 'vitriol' spewing from the Tanaiste. "was not thought through...should not have happened.. landed on us a surprise"
    I mean, that all sounds reasonable enough to me. Some journalists going on as if he drove a bus over Tony. Seriously? A lot of the rhetoric in the media is about how NPHET are effectively the Government. But when the Tanaiste blows that out of the water, the narrative turns to how disrespectul they are to NPHET? A lot in the media, RTE included, are gaslighters.

But we're continously told by opposition supporters and water protestor that RTE and the government are in cahoots.

Or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But we're continously told by opposition supporters and water protestor that RTE and the government are in cahoots.

Or something

When you read some threads on Boards you have those who think that rte are the mouthpiece or propaganda wing of the government, yet there are others who think they are really anti-gov.

I suppose it depends what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Turned over to tv3 and they're pushing the same made up bs of leo bad mouthing Tony.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Ya cause they are all devastated we aren't in lockdown so they can ramp up the fear, generate all those lovely clicks while people are at home. After fawning over Tony and hes been disrespected if there was a lockdown they'd be running pieces about the devastating job losses etc

They are as bad as the Daily Mail who were partly responsible for whipping up the UK population into hysteria for weeks demanding a Spanish/italian style lockdown. However they were lockdowned with a single week and then the articles changed to a tone of did the government overreact going into lockdown, then even had the sheer audacity to start trying to whip up people about the "Draconian" lockdown and free the people to save the economy or they were all doomed from job losses

It's not news or proper journalism from any of them anymore they'll spin news in whatever way will generate the clicks or even downright invent a narrative until enough people buy into it

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Just want to disagree with the OP. The biggest news here in Germany is Corona. It's in all the papers everyday. This is the biggest news story in Germany since world war 2. It is bigger than the reunification and collapse of the Soviet Union and East Germany according to Merkel. We are witnessing something remarkable for better or worse and it's the media's duty to bring it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Turned over to tv3 and they're pushing the same made up bs of leo bad mouthing Tony.

You’d have to wonder why, big pharmaceutical companies with big pockets maybe? To buy advertising...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Love reading about all the covid deniers on boards

And glad i will probably never meet any of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

There really is a weird echo chamber of eejits here who claim Covid-19 causes no harm whatsoever, and Tony Holohan has actually killed more people than the disease.

It's kind of like thejournal.ie comments section a few years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I mean, that all sounds reasonable enough to me. Some journalists going on as if he drove a bus over Tony. Seriously? A lot of the rhetoric in the media is about how NPHET are effectively the Government. But when the Tanaiste blows that out of the water, the narrative turns to how disrespectul they are to NPHET? A lot in the media, RTE included, are gaslighters. Claire Byrne was shocking last night, immediately jumping in with how shes losing confidence in the CMO. If Leo was kind to Tony Holohan, she'd attack Leo for letting Tony off the hook.
    Anyone who though Leo's Claire Byrne interview contained any vitriol doesn't know what vitrol is.

Tony became a weird kind of messiah/guru figure to a lot of frightened people during the dark days of the initial lockdown.

• Advertisement

Great post from Mollser in the daily thread

Don't give RTE TV views, don't use their horrible Player and don't give their website clicks

RTE's recent "We have the Monopoly on Truth" campaign is particularly creepy.

Tony became a weird kind of messiah/guru figure to a lot of frightened people during the dark days of the initial lockdown.

It was/is utter nonsense. As if he or any of the cast of the Nphet muppet can ever control an endemic respiratory virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

This is the usual media feeding frenzy, where they all go nuts about inconsequential personal bull***t that most people on the street couldn't care less about. Plenty of airtime to fill and paper never refused ink. On the Claire Byrne show you could see the glee on the face of the journo that was on directly after Leo's interview, I imagine he was thinking "Yes! We can get weeks out of this."

There are some punters here on boards who seem to equate Tony or Leo with their favourite football team or something. Getting a bit "American Politics" for my liking. MY GUY RIGHT YOUR GUY WRONG, GO TEAM NPHET/GOVT. Its a bit pathetic, Holahan, Varadkar etc all just doing their jobs as best they can.

RTE's recent "We have the Monopoly on Truth" campaign is particularly creepy.

They said what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Nail on the head
    “That could be a Level 6,” McConkey says. “I know nobody’s talked about a Level 6, and are probably even shocked to hear Sam talk about Level 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/sam-mcconkey-s-spinal-tap-moment-takes-the-restrictions-debate-to-level-10-1.4375670

This is amazing

Wait for the Fireman bit

https://twitter.com/killersundymann/status/1288440419580366848

But on a more serious note:

What the fúck can we do about RTE? They just can't be let continue like this

They're a huge part in crumbling the mental health of people all over the country who just don't know of an alternative/don't want to try one

Reading the comments on here and on Twitter about Prime Time tonight just cements the fact that our national broadcaster need to stop this

At this stage, they are - genuinely - going to cause suicides in this country.

Anyone who was at an 8 or 9 tonight thinking about ending it and who watched this debacle would now be at a 10 out of 10 with no going back

Again:

At 6pm most days this Subforum has many, many hundreds of readers. Surely, collectively, we can do something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Obviously not, you’ll have to stay inside self isolating forever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

It's an absolute disgrace. 100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Reading the comments on here and on Twitter about Prime Time tonight just cements the fact that our national broadcaster need to stop this

At this stage, they are - genuinely - going to cause suicides in this country.

Anyone who was at an 8 or 9 tonight thinking about ending it and who watched this debacle would now be at a 10 out of 10 with no going back

Again:

At 6pm most days this Subforum has many, many hundreds of readers. Surely, collectively, we can do something?

Start a thread for people to sign up and commit to not watching RTÉ, I’ll sign up

Advertisement