Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

The Irish media hysteria

1356719

Comments



  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    The reality is there are more people with the disease in this country than there were back in March. I think people need to know the figures to help them make informed decisions to make risk assessments around their activities.
    I don't think we are being ultra conservative at all.
    Ultra conservative would have seen all air and ports shut for the past few months.




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Life went on during the war also, but it was dramatically changed, during and after, we re currently probably experiencing something similar, things could in fact change dramatically for us all after this one

    Theres no comparison between this and ww1 or 2.




  • eggy81 wrote: »
    Theres no comparison between this and ww1 or 2.

    Said eggy, as he inadvertently compared the covid pandemic with the two world wars




  • eggy81 wrote:
    Theres no comparison between this and ww1 or 2.


    True, but we potentially could be experiencing the beginning of fundamental global changes, somewhat similar but different to both wars




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    True, but we potentially could be experiencing the beginning of fundamental global changes, somewhat similar but different to both wars

    I hope most things can go back to somewhat normal but even in my workplace I can see how the restrictions in place will have given the company llenty of food for tbougb about eroding some quality of life benefits we had, ie smoking areas, reduced canteen opening times and bus service gone. Interesting times ahead.


  • Advertisement


  • eggy81 wrote:
    I hope most things can go back to somewhat normal but even in my workplace I can see how the restrictions in place will have given the company llenty of food for tbougb about eroding some quality of life benefits we had, ie smoking areas, reduced canteen opening times and bus service gone. Interesting times ahead.


    Unfortunately I suspect there's some serious changes on the way, hopefully it won't destabilise things too much




  • kippy wrote: »
    The reality is there are more people with the disease in this country than there were back in March. I think people need to know the figures to help them make informed decisions to make risk assessments around their activities.
    I don't think we are being ultra conservative at all.
    Ultra conservative would have seen all air and ports shut for the past few months.

    I very much doubt more people have the virus now then back in March. Confirmed and active cases might be higher now than back in March but it was very difficult to get a test in March. If you were one of the few to get a test, then you mightn't get a result for 4 weeks. Unless of course you worked in the media or represented one of the 'right' political parties, in which case you could get results very quick in order to do endless interviews from your shed.




  • Not a fan of this fear-mongering angle. The initial few weeks was a bit mad but I'm able to keep up to date without being petrified. We need to know what is going on and what direction we could be going. I'm not afraid but informed.




  • jd1983 wrote: »
    I very much doubt more people have the virus now then back in March. Confirmed and active cases might be higher now than back in March but it was very difficult to get a test in March. If you were one of the few to get a test, then you mightn't get a result for 4 weeks. Unless of course you worked in the media or represented one of the 'right' political parties, in which case you could get results very quick in order to do endless interviews from your shed.

    Again highlighting the stupidity of the doom mongers who shout the headline numbers without even an attempt to understand reality.




  • Not a fan of this fear-mongering angle. The initial few weeks was a bit mad but I'm able to keep up to date without being petrified. We need to know what is going on and what direction we could be going. I'm not afraid but informed.


    Nobody truly knows the info you're looking for, we don't truly understand this virus, we re learning on the spot


  • Advertisement


  • GazzaL wrote:
    Again highlighting the stupidity of the doom mongers who shout the headline numbers without even an attempt to understand reality.


    So what is our reality?




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Life went on during the war also, but it was dramatically changed, during and after, we re currently probably experiencing something similar, things could in fact change dramatically for us all after this one

    It's possible, but doubtful. Society functioned the way it did pre Covid because that's how life had organised itself into a way that worked best. I don't see any great revolution or re-ordering of society coming about. May get rid of Donald Trump though which would be a bonus.




  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    Wake up and stop your right wing nonsense, if we take our eye off the ball a huge amount of deaths will result!




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So what is our reality?

    I'm not sure you know yourselves!




  • jd1983 wrote: »
    I very much doubt more people have the virus now then back in March. Confirmed and active cases might be higher now than back in March but it was very difficult to get a test in March. If you were one of the few to get a test, then you mightn't get a result for 4 weeks. Unless of course you worked in the media or represented one of the 'right' political parties, in which case you could get results very quick in order to do endless interviews from your shed.

    There are over 2000 active cases at the moment.
    There weren't that many in March by all and any metric.

    Either way, I think people need to know the facts in order to better make informed decisions about their activities. People need to be reminded that this virus is not gone - far from it.
    The fact that testing turnaround and contact tracing is much faster now than in March is of course a good thing and one reason why some of the restrictions in place have been lifted.

    We are far from ultra conservative.




  • road_high wrote:
    It's possible, but doubtful. Society functioned the way it did pre Covid because that's how life had organised itself into a way that worked best. I don't see any great revolution or re-ordering of society coming about. May get rid of Donald Trump though which would be a bonus.


    Patenice now, this potentially could be the catalyst that tips the whole thing over, our financial sector looks a bit iffy, America is effectively collapsing, Italy not looking too hot. Define worked best, because our most critical of needs most certainly weren't being addressed, housing and health care etc, our mental health services could effectively collapse this winter




  • road_high wrote:
    I'm not sure you know yourselves!


    Please enlighten us




  • Here's a thought, RTE interview people who had covid19 but little or no symptoms.

    Lets here how; they didn't die, they didn't get Sick, they didn't pass the virus on to Granny ect, they returned to work, they were not scared.

    The only visuals we get are elderly patients with a few months to live on a ventilator (previously on a ventilator for another disease).

    Its like the sponsor a dog for €2 adds, que sad music, cute puppy face, slow motion play shot.

    Protect the elderly by having a better Health care system that allows them to be in a safe environment.

    If it wasn't for covid they would be sitting on trolleys in a hospital. Where's the video's of that from RTE.




  • Wake up and stop your right wing nonsense, if we take our eye off the ball a huge amount of deaths will result!

    Right wing nonsense?!




  • Limpy wrote: »
    Here's a thought, RTE interview people who had covid19 but little or no symptoms.

    Lets here how; they didn't die, they didn't get Sick, they didn't pass the virus on to Granny ect, they returned to work, they were not scared.

    The only visuals we get are elderly patients with a few months to live on a ventilator (previously on a ventilator for another disease).

    Its like the sponsor a dog for €2 adds, que sad music, cute puppy face, slow motion play shot.

    Protect the elderly by having a better Health care system that allows them to be in a safe environment.

    If it wasn't for covid they would be sitting on trolleys in a hospital. Where's the video's of that from RTE.

    I’m glad to see people waking up. Top to bottom propaganda 24/7.

    What I find most interesting is a lot of the Eastern European’s living here have seen all of this before in different guises in their home country. They’re not falling for it at all.


  • Advertisement


  • What I find most interesting is a lot of the Eastern European’s living here have seen all of this before in different guises in their home country. They’re not falling for it at all.


    'Not falling for it'! Who's trying to trick us?




  • Facts and statistics can be portrayed in anyway to prove or make the point of the day.
    During the last week we've had 5 deaths being reported, dig deeper and we discovered that it was 1 current death and 4 historic. A prime example of reporting hysteria.
    Then we also have the constant referencing of number of cases being 27k or whatever it is now. Never mentioning the current figure, what is the use of talking about people who have recovered and not spreading anymore.
    We also now have the restrictions on 3 counties being called a lockdown, some people freaking out because they don't know how they'll get to Cork or Limerick as they can't drive through the 3 counties.

    I've said for a long time that we are being conditioned in life to not think for ourselves and this pandemic proves this in spades. It now seems large sections of society are loosing their ability to think critically or make decisions on their own. Relying on what the politicians, journalists or even worse social media post tells them to do. Hyped up yellow weather warnings and signs on motorways to say the road is wet are a perfect examples.
    The biggest surprise of 2020 hasn't been the pandemic, its been how quickly 99.9% believe everything they're told. And should you question that, you're rounded on with abuse and ridicule.




  • prunudo wrote:
    I've said for a long time that we are being conditioned in life to not think for ourselves and this pandemic proves this in spades. It now seems large sections of society are loosing their ability to think critically or make decisions on their own. Relying on what the politicians, journalists or even worse social media post tells them to do. Hyped up yellow weather warnings and signs on motorways to say the road is wet are a perfect examples. The biggest surprise of 2020 hasn't been the pandemic, its been how quickly 99.9% believe everything they're told.


    Oh ffs! There will always be errors in data, particularly when humans are involved in the process, and when there's a serious virus on the lose, of which we virtually know fcuk all about, fcuk ups are gonna happen, be thankful our media isn't as fcuked as American media, people need to take off the tinfoil hats, our media hasn't gone full retard just yet




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh ffs! There will always be errors in data, particularly when humans are involved in the process, and when there's a serious virus on the lose, of which we virtually know fcuk all about, fcuk ups are gonna happen, be thankful our media isn't as fcuked as American media, people need to take off the tinfoil hats, our media hasn't gone full retard just yet

    Why the ffs and also just because people question what they're told doesn't mean they wear tinfoil hats.




  • Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh ffs! There will always be errors in data, particularly when humans are involved in the process, and when there's a serious virus on the lose, of which we virtually know fcuk all about, fcuk ups are gonna happen, be thankful our media isn't as fcuked as American media, people need to take off the tinfoil hats, our media hasn't gone full retard just yet

    Terrible use of language with the "r" word, but RTE and many others have been a disgrace. George Lee looked gutted every time he had to report positive news. As I said before, there are people who are now afraid to leave their own homes because of the non-stop COVID coverage.




  • prunudo wrote: »
    Facts and statistics can be portrayed in anyway to prove or make the point of the day.
    During the last week we've had 5 deaths being reported, dig deeper and we discovered that it was 1 current death and 4 historic. A prime example of reporting hysteria.
    Then we also have the constant referencing of number of cases being 27k or whatever it is now. Never mentioning the current figure, what is the use of talking about people who have recovered and not spreading anymore.
    We also now have the restrictions on 3 counties being called a lockdown, some people freaking out because they don't know how they'll get to Cork or Limerick as they can't drive through the 3 counties.

    I've said for a long time that we are being conditioned in life to not think for ourselves and this pandemic proves this in spades. It now seems large sections of society are loosing their ability to think critically or make decisions on their own. Relying on what the politicians, journalists or even worse social media post tells them to do. Hyped up yellow weather warnings and signs on motorways to say the road is wet are a perfect examples.
    The biggest surprise of 2020 hasn't been the pandemic, its been how quickly 99.9% believe everything they're told. And should you question that, you're rounded on with abuse and ridicule.

    You didn't have to dig anything, it was clearly stated in articles. 5 deaths 1 current and 4 historic. Can't see any hysteria behind that. I would nearly call posts like this one being hysterical some way.




  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    Agree 100%. Very well said.




  • Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

    It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

    Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

    People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

    The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

    Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

    Thoughts?

    To be honest it seemed to me RTE lost interest about a month ago, sent most of their news anchors and corespondents on hols and left Ray Kennedy, Sharon Toibin, Sandra Hurley & Mary Regan holding the Fort, all did an excellent job by the way. Ciaran Mullooly has been making some recent appearances in the Midlands and George Leahy as moved onto some climate and science stuff.

    It rarely featured as a main headline and the obligatory correspondent at the dept of health was no more, Brian Dobson did appear briefly for the John Hume funeral and unfortunately we did have to suffer Tommy Gorman patronising nonsense from the North. One welcome relief was Fergal "morose" bowers being off, his pontificating was enough to sour milk, just lifeless & beyond boring.

    Now that there's been a resurgence in cases, the pandemic seems to be back on its agenda but just barely, perhaps their waiting the return of most of its staff god bless them all. Just extraordinary how a national broadcaster can allow its news room be abandoned at such a crucial time.

    Is maith an scáthán súil charad.






  • ....
    The sooner people feel confident to get on with living with this thing the better. I am just fed up of hearing friends and family constantly bring up the daily figures!..

    I know of no one who makes a big deal of the figures like that. Other than people starting threads likes you have done..

    If you look at the people in shops and out and about generally there's probably only 5-10% using masks. In parks and places young people are not social distancing, people in general are only following the guidelines where they are forced to. A shop or business enforcing it etc.

    That we have gone back to lock down in a few counties and the numbers are rising suggests this is a general trend.

    If you are running a business or looking after vulnerable people and have frequent interaction with medical staff, you will be more aware of everything.


  • Advertisement


  • Dempo1 wrote: »
    ...Just extraordinary how a national broadcaster can allow its news room be abandoned at such a crucial time.

    I stopped using RTE years ago. I think there are better news sources. I wouldn't notice even if they went off the air.


Advertisement