Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

It was all too good to be true.

Just found that if you have a Sonos Beam over ARC then this new box does not correctly output dolby 5.1 to the beam and it only receives a stereo signal.

Even the old horizon box did this no problem. This is a big deal for me and a big Dissappintment. Leaving it here in case anyone else come accross this.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/beam-only-receiving-stereo-from-virgin-v6-6820991

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

BanjoB wrote: »
    It was all too good to be true.

Just found that if you have a Sonos Beam over ARC then this new box does not correctly output dolby 5.1 to the beam and it only receives a stereo signal.

Even the old horizon box did this no problem. This is a big deal for me and a big Dissappintment. Leaving it here in case anyone else come accross this.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/beam-only-receiving-stereo-from-virgin-v6-6820991

Don’t know about the Sonos Beam, however I’m using the 360 box connected to a TV with a Sonos Arc sound bar and it outputs Dolby 5.1 no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Padraig_12

Does anyone know how to stop the 360 box from re-recording programmes I have watched and deleted?
    It has re-recorded "A league of their own" 3 times since I deleted, and has done the same with other programs that I have watched and deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Padraig_12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to stop the 360 box from re-recording programmes I have watched and deleted?
    It has re-recorded "A league of their own" 3 times since I deleted, and has done the same with other programs that I have watched and deleted.

It does that when you series link a show. It will record repeats of the same episode. It's annoying I have to keep deleting things out but don't want to cancel the series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

We all need to change our behaviour. I must admit I always like deleting show's if I have watched and don't plan on keeping to re-watch.

We need to stop deleting show's. The hard drive is huge. Eventually when we need space near full then we can start deleting.

I can't see this situation changing -too many scenario's for a software update to fix.

Better recording too much than miss an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Ordered new box yest, how long is it taking to deliver?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Loughc wrote: »
    It does that when you series link a show. It will record repeats of the same episode. It's annoying I have to keep deleting things out but don't want to cancel the series link.

That's one of the most annoying things on the Horizon box. I can't believe it persists with the new box :rolleyes:

If people keep deleting episodes it will go after them if on series link which make sense. If however episode is kept on hard drive it will not record a repeat is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If people keep deleting episodes it will go after them if on series link which make sense. If however episode is kept on hard drive it will not record a repeat is my understanding.

But the Box should only record an episode once. I've a UPC HD box (for nearly 10 years) and it never records the same episode more than once, so why does the Horizon and the new 360 box do this. It's a basic function nowadays I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Polar101

Got my first bill since upgrading to 360. No surprise that the promotional price of €88 is nowhere to be seen, and they are charging me €98 instead.

They still haven't fixed my TV channels either - a word of warning, never use the online form to contact Virgin Media.

I wish they could get something right even once.

• Advertisement

@mackersdublin - It should only record an episode once if you don't delete that episode. If you have series link on, it will keep recording that same episode if you keep deleting the previous recording off it.

I'm sure it's possible to make a more advanced algorithm but it could become too clever and miss an episode you wanted because you only started recording the first showing off episode 1 half way through etc.

If a series is repeated three months later it will start recording if you have deleted it from your recordings. Bit off a pain but again it seems to be a 'better safe than sorry approach'.

Personally I must check my list everyday but as previously stated try and resist the temptation to always delete stuff straight away after watching.

Off course this means I will end up with a much bigger list to scroll through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I'm finding the new box very good. However one issue is that unless you set the standby to 24hrs from the default 5hr standby mode is it won't remote set recordings from the app fail.
    So currently if I set something to record over 5hrs after the box being in standby it will show up as a failed recording.
    Unless I'm missing something?, because I've tried it. Setting to never be in standby (24hr option) seems a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Has anyone experienced the following with RTE one. Usually on a Sunday replay TV will stop working. And for the last week replay on RTE one has sound distortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I’ve noticed the last few days that sound on RTÉ One replay is distorted on our Horizon box...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

BigMoose wrote: »
    I’ve noticed the last few days that sound on RTÉ One replay is distorted on our Horizon box...
    It’s distorted on the 360 box as well. It’s very annoying, I hope they fix it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got my 360 box yesterday. Very Impressed, it's like night and day going from the Horizon box, it was sooooooo slow. This is instant and responsive.
    Happy to not have a massive box under the TV cabinet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

d51984 wrote: »
    Ordered new box yest, how long is it taking to deliver?

Ordered on 8th. Got an email to say self install not possible so appointment given for Monday 19th. Surprised to get a call from them this morning offering me installation tomorrow (Sunday) morning. No reason given other than they would be working in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Rang Virgin to see if there were any offers at all for existing customers on the 360 packages.

They wouldn't/couldn't budge at all on the website listed prices for existing customers which is a bit disappointing.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    @mackersdublin - It should only record an episode once if you don't delete that episode. If you have series link on, it will keep recording that same episode if you keep deleting the previous recording off it.

I'm sure it's possible to make a more advanced algorithm but it could become too clever and miss an episode you wanted because you only started recording the first showing off episode 1 half way through etc.

If a series is repeated three months later it will start recording if you have deleted it from your recordings. Bit off a pain but again it seems to be a 'better safe than sorry approach'.

Personally I must check my list everyday but as previously stated try and resist the temptation to always delete stuff straight away after watching.

Off course this means I will end up with a much bigger list to scroll through.

Series Link launched in the early 2000's on Sky+. The whole point of the feature is to save the customer having to repeatedly record each episode of a TV series. For example - Modern Family Series 1 has 24 episodes, so you set the box to record the series once, not 24 times

If I've watched the first 4 episodes and have deleted them from my box, why would I want the box to record the episodes I have watched and deleted from my box again. I stand corrected, but I doubt on Sky+ or Sky Q, the box would record episodes multiple times

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

Can I ask is there any way to see scheduled recordings on the 360 box ?

• Advertisement

Got an email today from VM with the Subject Line: �� Virgin TV360 �� See what makes it AMAZING

And in the body of the email...

"4K capable
    Watch your favorite App content in 4K. Make every pixel count, thanks to Virgin TV 360 box that comes 4K ready. Your most-liked shows have never looked so good."

What exactly is available now in 4K on this box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Got an email today from VM with the Subject Line: �� Virgin TV360 �� See what makes it AMAZING

And in the body of the email...

"4K capable
    Watch your favorite App content in 4K. Make every pixel count, thanks to Virgin TV 360 box that comes 4K ready. Your most-liked shows have never looked so good."

What exactly is available now in 4K on this box?

Thanks

As far as I know just The Rook in the On Demand section I think.Little or nothing compared to Sky,no normal programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Can I ask is there any way to see scheduled recordings on the 360 box ?

Just go into saved then it shows recorded and planned recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But the Box should only record an episode once. I've a UPC HD box (for nearly 10 years) and it never records the same episode more than once, so why does the Horizon and the new 360 box do this. It's a basic function nowadays I would have thought

Sky Q records every episode a number of times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Have the box a couple of weeks now. So far much better than the horizon box.

One annoying thing is the remote is quite large also as mentioned before I dont know why there isnt a dedicated button for recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Was going to upgrade my subscription to the 360 box but they say that there is a €50 fee to do this which they won't waive even though I'm with them years. Off to sky I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Was going to upgrade my subscription to the 360 box but they say that there is a €50 fee to do this which they won't waive even though I'm with them years. Off to sky I go

This is the very same box that Virgin UK are giving 2 of for free with their top package.

The €50 charge should be considered a Paddy Tax - used to subsidise our Lords and Masters across the water.

Jay328 wrote: »
    Have the box a couple of weeks now. So far much better than the horizon box.

One annoying thing is the remote is quite large also as mentioned before I dont know why there isnt a dedicated button for recordings.

Press Voice Search button and say "Recordings".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,341 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I thought it was safe to delete episode 1 of 'Trump' after EP2 was broadcast and recorded but didn't they go and broadcast yet another repeat of EP1. Which the TV360 box recorded :mad: Which made it the third time that episode was recorded. I deleted EP1 as soon as I watched it because the Horizon box would not have recorded it again.

I think the issue is that the TV360 box thinks that you may have missed that episode because (e.g.) you didn't do a series record until after the first episode was broadcast. So it picks up every episode that isn't already in the can and records it. Until they upgrade the s/w to log what you've recorded and watched, the solution appears to be to keep every episode in your library until you've watched the last one, then delete all episodes and the series record instruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

Does the 360 Box show the full title of programmes and films?
    Horizon box truncates longer programme titles which is very annoying and quite frankly ridiculous.
    In addition do they show the year of release of films on Sky Cinema on 360 box?
    Horizon unbelieveably doesn't and only shows bare minimum cast list.

Advertisement