Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

People going to the gym are going to be effectively immune to it, particularly given their age profile but especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle.

Nobody is immune, except possibly those that have already been infected.

Healthy lifestyle or fitness doesn't come in to it.

What you're possibly saying is that people going to the gym are not at any personal risk of the effects of the virus, which is probably true.

However, it doesn't get away from the fact that if the virus is contracted in the gym, then that person becomes a carrier and can infect multiple other people, some of who may be at great risk of danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Exactly, see a tree branch do some chin ups, go for a swim in the local river, start lifting heavy rocks from one place to another. Lots of ways to exercise without a gym

Very few people who go to the gym do so purely for exercise. It is mostly lifters that are the regular gym goers or maybe classes.

I run 60 miles a week marathon training and you will not find me anywhere near a gym. I will try to head back in the winter for some core and strength work but not for running/exercise.

You want a good cardio...run and eff the treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Allinall wrote: »

What you're possibly saying is that people going to the gym are not at any personal risk of the effects of the virus, which is probably true.

However, it doesn't get away from the fact that if the virus is contracted in the gym, then that person becomes a carrier and can infect multiple other people, some of who may be at great risk of danger.

Go to the gym, get COVID. Odds are you won't die. That's not a great statement to make though.

If you get COVID, then between recovery and isolation, you're out of it for a month. I'd rather train outside for a month, than risk doing nothing for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As someone who designs ventilation systems, i can tell you alot of gyms are particularly poor with regards to their setups and how to handle Covid 19.

The ideal system is a 100% full fresh air system , we design alot of buildings with these but rarely will you find one in a hotel or gym. If a gym had a huge quantity of openable windows and turned off the Air Conditioning units i would be fairly ok with it once numbers were controlled and cleanliness maintained.

Unfortunately alot of gyms have AC systems that recirculate the air with minimal fresh air added. These can spread airborne pathogens around the room in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Allinall wrote: »

Yes, but I am saying the other measures like home gatherings, pubs etc being closed for this reset lockdown is fine which means the argument about gym goers infecting others should be muted. It's just gyms that should be essential in addition to the current list. Besides the risk based approach, the weather isn't what it was as we were coming up to summer.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I am saying the other measures like home gatherings, pubs etc being closed for this reset lockdown is fine which means the argument about gym goers infecting others should be muted. It's just gyms that should be essential in addition to the current list. Besides the risk based approach, the weather isn't what it was as we were coming up to summer.

You think it's fine because you want it to be fine.

Some would say home gatherings are essential.
    Restaurants are essential.
    Garden centres are essential.
    Moving outside of a 5k radius is essential.

It's not for us to say unfortunately.

I don't agree with a lot of it, but it's a waste of time to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Very few people who go to the gym do so purely for exercise. It is mostly lifters that are the regular gym goers or maybe classes.

I run 60 miles a week marathon training and you will not find me anywhere near a gym. I will try to head back in the winter for some core and strength work but not for running/exercise.

You want a good cardio...run and eff the treadmill.

My work is quite demanding, I walk on average 150k a week so cardio isn’t the problem. Lifting weights is my only outlet after work. I don’t know want to cycle or run after all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No. It is a pretty accurate and generally held view backed by the hard figures and science. Please note the word 'generally' as of course there are exceptions.

If you are fit and healthy and under 65 you are highly unlikely to be badly affected by C19.

This is the problem right here. This idea that some people are likely to be unaffected by it seems to go hand in hand with the idea that because you're likely to be unaffected, you're also unlikely to carry and spread it.

It's dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

In practice is the equipment actually being sanitised after use?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    In practice is the equipment actually being sanitised after use?

Only speaking for my own gym here. Yes. When you go in you’ve to take a towel and a spray bottle. Sanitize before and after using the machines. They’re only leaving people in on the dot of every hour too, one way, in the front door and out the back door. Bookings only. It’s been run as well as it could be in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

From my experience 80% of the people are cleaning down everything after using it

I was in flyefit and they really gave everything to make it as safe as possible but the 20% just didn’t want to do it

Hurrache wrote: »
    This is the problem right here. This idea that some people are likely to be unaffected by it seems to go hand in hand with the idea that because you're likely to be unaffected, you're also unlikely to carry and spread it.

It's dumb.

You are putting words in my mouth. I wrote a narrow post due to time constraints. Yes I could expand it by saying that just because one is not affected does not mean they cannot infect other people unwittingly.

My work is quite demanding, I walk on average 150k a week so cardio isn’t the problem. Lifting weights is my only outlet after work. I don’t know want to cycle or run after all of that.

Well yes that is my point. Most regular gym goers I know are weight lifters so the whole "Oh just go for a walk in the park" is not a fair alternative.

I have the opposite problem. I run 5 days week between 50-60 miles in total so I cannot face the gym for weights also even though it is literally across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yes I could expand it by saying that just because one is not affected does not mean they cannot infect other people unwittingly.

Well that's the issue, gyms are not sterile, surface or air, and no different than other enclosed spaces when it comes to spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Well yes that is my point. Most regular gym goers I know are weight lifters so the whole "Oh just go for a walk in the park" is not a fair alternative.

I have the opposite problem. I run 5 days week between 50-60 miles in total so I cannot face the gym for weights also even though it is literally across the road.

Not fair doesn't come into it ,

People up and down the country and all over the world are losing there jobs thats "not Fair "

Lifting weights is not essential for health and fitness that is the reason they are closed ,

Again I don't like it myself id love to be able to go the gym still but its quite easy to understand it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I go to Westwood Clontarf, I went for the last time before lockers yesterday. They have limits on how many are meant to be in the sauna/steam room. It says 4 in the steam room, and I went in yesterday and counted 8 people. So I waited outside for a while but more people just started going in. Groups of young lads seem to meet there to work out too, I think that's the kind of thing we want to avoid for the next 6 weeks.
    I don't know if disease is spreading in gyms or not but I don't see how it couldn't really.
    Anyway jogging in autumn is quite nice I've discovered, if you have a park nearby.

This is a typical response I always get from people who don’t train.

I "train", but I'm not a professional athlete, so who cares if I can't lift weights for a few weeks. I'm sure you can manage. The lockdown is going to suck for all of us.

People up and down the country and all over the world are losing there jobs thats "not Fair "

Lifting weights is not essential for health and fitness that is the reason they are closed ,

Again I don't like it myself id love to be able to go the gym still but its quite easy to understand it ,

I think you have misinterpreted me.

I wasn't using the word 'fair' as in "It's not fair to close gyms".

Not a 'fair' comparative as in telling weight lifters that they should go for a walk in the park as if it is the same thing. It is not.

Personally, I have no issues with gyms being closed but then again, I am not a frequenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Exactly this. It's not the government's job to provide a like for like alternative for everyone. They're trying to manage a pandemic here.

I've lost golf and the gym today. I'm dreading the next 6 weeks. But it's a fairly small price to pay when you have people suffering in hospitals and other people losing their jobs worried sick how they are going to support their families.

Everyone has to play their part and this is a small sacrifice. We need to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Exactly this. It's not the government's job to provide a like for like alternative for everyone. They're trying to manage a pandemic here.

I've lost golf and the gym today. I'm dreading the next 6 weeks. But it's a fairly small price to pay when you have people suffering in hospitals and other people losing their jobs worried sick how they are going to support their families.

Everyone has to play their part and this is a small sacrifice. We need to suck it up.

It'll make fcuk all difference- not sure why people still think shutting random things down actually "works" (I can't even define what works means anymore).
    Your sacrifice is for absolutely nothing as you'll see from this lockdown and the previous one and probably the next one. You've bought into a lie and fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

Open the gyms up and enforce mask wearing, problem solved. I would wear one while in the gym as I mostly lift weights so it wouldn't effect me that much. If someone can't wear a mask in the gym, they don't have to go. Plenty of gyms in the U.S. enforce mask wearing in order to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    It'll make fcuk all difference- not sure why people still think shutting random things down actually "works" (I can't even define what works means anymore).
    Your sacrifice is for absolutely nothing as you'll see from this lockdown and the previous one and probably the next one. You've bought into a lie and fantasy.

It will make a difference like it did last time. The cases will drop in 6 weeks. If they don't, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

It's worked in Australia and it's worked in Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Well said. I applaud you.
    DeanAustin wrote: »

I "train", but I'm not a professional athlete, so who cares if I can't lift weights for a few weeks. I'm sure you can manage. The lockdown is going to suck for all of us.

I’m looking at this purely from a mental health point of view. I honestly don’t care what I look like or if I lose muscle mass, I really don’t. The mental health aspect of not sticking to my gym schedule will absolutely kill me.

I’m looking at this purely from a mental health point of view. I honestly don’t care what I look like or if I lose muscle mass, I really don’t. The mental health aspect of not sticking to my gym schedule will absolutely kill me.

How did you cope when the gyms were closed for months earlier this year?

really if it's that essential to your mental health I would seek professional help, a therapist, they are still available during lockdown over zoom etc

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    How did you cope when the gyms were closed for months earlier this year?

I was living in a place where I could put weights in a shed and train on my own. I don’t have access to that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

My local Supervalu very enterprising this week. Big stack of Exercise Bikes for sale. Not sure of quality or storage, but the box was quite compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In my capacity as a minister for the universal life church, I volunteer my services to any gym to conduct weddings..... Up to 25 people and if they have to sit on spin machines instead of chairs...... So be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Only speaking for my own gym here. Yes. When you go in you’ve to take a towel and a spray bottle. Sanitize before and after using the machines. They’re only leaving people in on the dot of every hour too, one way, in the front door and out the back door. Bookings only. It’s been run as well as it could be in fairness.
    My gym sent out an email saying the machines aren’t for underwater use and could people please spray the blue roll to wipe the equipment With rather than spraying the equipment and wiping it off. In general from what I saw people were very good about doing it.

Advertisement