Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

really if it's that essential to your mental health I would seek professional help, a therapist, they are still available during lockdown over zoom etc

Unless a councillor has a bench press and squat rack in their office I’m not sure what benefit that would be for me. Also, kind of condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

really if it's that essential to your mental health I would seek professional help, a therapist, they are still available during lockdown over zoom etc
    You're totally wrong. It does tons to mental health, it's about having a plan, something else to focus on than all this sh1te going around us. It took me 3 months to rebuild my lost strength from last time, so not a big deal but mental toll is far greater. I'm looking for something bad to do and feel good about it, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

j@utis wrote: »
    You're totally wrong. It does tons to mental health, it's about having a plan, something else to focus on than all this sh1te going around us. It took me 3 months to rebuild my lost strength from last time, so not a big deal but mental toll is far greater. I'm looking for something bad to do and feel good about it, any suggestions?

Same here, my last session today and felt stronger than the last to months... And now another 6 weeks out. Really not sure how many "come backs" I have left in me..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Unless a councillor has a bench press and squat rack in their office I’m not sure what benefit that would be for me. Also, kind of condescending.

He would be able to help you figure out why you can't be happy without lifting weights, that's not good. I would look into mindfulness if I were you, or read some Eckhart Tolle, it helps calm the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’ll be like the bar owner a few months back, he’ll open the guards will turn up and tell him to cop on. He’ll make a statement saying he decided to close get a bit of publicity and that’ll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Is this true:

Most likely he will be getting a visit soon from the long arm of the law:

https://news.sky.com/video/liverpool-gym-hit-with-fine-from-armed-police-12104755

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

salmocab wrote: »
    It’ll be like the bar owner a few months back, he’ll open the guards will turn up and tell him to cop on. He’ll make a statement saying he decided to close get a bit of publicity and that’ll be that.

The gyms in Liverpool got their own way by defying the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It will make a difference like it did last time. The cases will drop in 6 weeks. If they don't, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

It's worked in Australia and it's worked in Israel.

Then shoot back up again- waste of time and money we don’t have. But yea great success

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i can't continue to go the gym to keep mentally & physically healthy but i can serve people alcohol, smokes, lotto tickets/scratch cards all day in work. absolutely nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Absolute fiction of the highest order and very dangerous if some people actually think this also.

There's been a study on it... its true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It's irrelevant. Lots of people are asymptomatic, but they are still responsible for the spread of the disease. That's the name of the game here - the bigger picture, not individual "I'm alright Jack" selfishness. Someone picking up the disease in a gym may well infect someone who is more prone to either dying from it, or of getting nasty side-effects from it.

On mental health btw - a walk in nature is great for that. Even if you're in a city, there's surely a park within 5km? The idea that you need a gym for your mental health is daft. How did people manage before gyms? If weights is your thing, you can buy a set and have them at home.

There's no reason that gyms need to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Then shoot back up again- waste of time and money we don’t have. But yea great success

They may well although it hasn’t happened in Israel or Australia yet. But the object of the exercise isn’t to eliminate the virus. It’s to try and ensure that hospitals aren’t overwhelmed.

Even the government is accepting this is a cycle rather than a way of getting back to a normal life. So there is sense in what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cdeb wrote: »
    It's irrelevant. Lots of people are asymptomatic, but they are still responsible for the spread of the disease. That's the name of the game here - the bigger picture, not individual "I'm alright Jack" selfishness.
    On mental health btw - a walk in nature is great for that. Even if you're in a city, there's surely a park within 5km? The idea that you need a gym for your mental health is daft. How did people manage before gyms? If weights is your thing, you can buy a set and have them at home.

There's no reason that gyms need to be open.

I hate to agree with a Mod on the Chess forum...but... I can see why gyms are being closed, the wiping down of sweat from weights/machines is one that a lot of gym users will pay scant attention to, i know the gym attendants will do there best but still, heavy breathing associated with exercise..lack of distance between machines..and not to mention if the shower/locker area is open? Groups of lads congregating at in areas waiting for machines etc..

Golf courses being closed on the other hand? Crazy! Played outdoors and can be done solo or in small groups, go back to your car afterwards so extremely limited contacts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You think it's fine because you want it to be fine.

Some would say home gatherings are essential.
    Restaurants are essential.
    Garden centres are essential.
    Moving outside of a 5k radius is essential.

It's not for us to say unfortunately.

I don't agree with a lot of it, but it's a waste of time to argue.

Good God, the ignorance.

You think working out to keep yourself healthy is on the same level as a garden centre or a restaurant?

You are being purposely obtuse. This is a respiratory virus that only leads to complications in the very old and vulnerable. The best defence you can have is to eat more wholefoods, less processed crap, no alcohol or other drugs, don't be fat, exercise, sleep enough, reduce stress and drink a lot of water. This is the primary defence for all of society against covid. In this context, the risk of gyms (implementing good hygiene and social distancing - which of course are as important as masks) is negated by their health benefits.

It's not true it only leads to complications in the very old and vulnerable. Primarily, yes - although "vulnerable" includes people with diabetes and asthma, and there's no reason they wouldn't be in a gym.

But the main point is that arguing that once you're ok, nothing else matters, is the definition of selfishness. If you pick it up at the gym and pass it on to someone, then that's an issue. That's what we're trying to stop here.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I hate to agree with a Mod on the Chess forum...but...
    Not entirely sure what being a mod on the chess forum as to do with my point really?

i can't continue to the gym to keep mentally & physically healthy but i can serve people alcohol, smokes, lotto tickets/scratch cards all day in work. absolutely nuts

The sale of cigarettes and alcohol should be banned while gyms are banned. Fast food takeaways should also be closed. Otherwise, it is another hypocrisy in this bizarre covid hysteria society we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Only speaking for my own gym here. Yes. When you go in you’ve to take a towel and a spray bottle. Sanitize before and after using the machines. They’re only leaving people in on the dot of every hour too, one way, in the front door and out the back door. Bookings only. It’s been run as well as it could be in fairness.

So I have to rely on someone who is less accountable and probably less thorough to clean the machine I'll be using, Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's easy to say, but not so easy to do. Most people use gyms for weights, not cardio. Rare that anyone would have a useable weights setup at home. Classes and PT are gone too.

Short days, cold and wet weather would put most off going outside at the best of times.

These social distancing rules are only effective with short contact. You could be in a gym for an hour with other people, breathing heavily, condensation, AC recycling the air. Again, some gyms may be different and suitable, but its a blanket rule.

It's a balls! Gonna be a long winter.

I realise it's not the same thing but its easy to buy weights or kettlebells online.
    I hate gyms but have stuff at home and follow programs,it's certainly doable for 6 weeks.Add in some running and you've got most things covered.

• Advertisement

It's not true it only leads to complications in the very old and vulnerable. Primarily, yes - although "vulnerable" includes people with diabetes and asthma, and there's no reason they wouldn't be in a gym.

But the main point is that arguing that once you're ok, nothing else matters, is the definition of selfishness. If you pick it up at the gym and pass it on to someone, then that's an issue. That's what we're trying to stop here.

The first paragraph is utter nonsense. You could make the exact argument for always closing gyms irrespective of covid as they are vulnerable in general. What a ridiculous argument; "some people have health issues so close society".

The second paragraph again is failing to acknowledge the risk based approach which should be undertaken. Gyms offer a multitude of health benefits and the best defence to covid is healthy people. Why do you think schools are open and not closed? Kids can pass it on to parents who can pass it on in shops etc. It's the exact same point. However, with schools, there is no social distancing with kids. Absolutely none. Clearly a risk based approach has been taken due to the social and mental wellbeing balanced against the virus being of negligible effect to kids and against the risk they spread it to parents and other family. There is no black and white position here, as you can see with the kids in schools. Covid still spreads.

The sale of cigarettes and alcohol should be banned while gyms are banned. Fast food takeaways should also be closed. Otherwise, it is another hypocrisy in this bizarre covid hysteria society we live in.
    No hypocrisy at all.

Shops have to be open. Once you accept that, it's no matter if they serve alcohol/smokes or not.

Fast food takeaways are open on a takeaway basis only, not sit down. This is so that people don't congregate and spread the disease.

The name of the game here isn't to force people to be 100% healthy. It's to stop the spread of covid. They're two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You can't expect girls to take arse selfies at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

cloudatlas wrote: »
    So I have to rely on someone who is less accountable and probably less thorough to clean the machine I'll be using, Yikes!

No
    Where you clean, they also clean,locally here anyway
    There's also a sanitising smoke blower used regularly
    All windows are open in ours
    Gyms should really be certified on a case by case basis IMO as they really are something essential to a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems a majority of gym users want the gyms to remain open.

It's what the public wants.

The first paragraph is utter nonsense. You could make the exact argument for always closing gyms irrespective of covid as they are vulnerable in general. What a ridiculous argument; "some people have health issues so close society".
    No, you couldn't make the same argument for closing gyms in general. Asthma/diabetes are very easily controllable illnesses. They're common illnesses too. And they don't react well with covid. That's the kicker here.
    The second paragraph again is failing to acknowledge the risk based approach which should be undertaken. Gyms offer a multitude of health benefits and the best defence to covid is healthy people.
    No, the best defence to covid is quashing it.

There are other ways to get healthy than going to a gym. There were healthy people before gyms came along. I know that'll be a surprise to you, but there you go.
    Why do you think schools are open and not closed? Kids can pass it on to parents who can pass it on in shops etc. It's the exact same point.
    Schools being open is a controversial point, sure, but ultimately education is essential. A gym is not. Lots of people have pointed out why in this thread.

No hypocrisy at all.

Shops have to be open. Once you accept that, it's no matter if they serve alcohol/smokes or not.

Fast food takeaways are open on a takeaway basis only, not sit down. This is so that people don't congregate and spread the disease.

The name of the game here isn't to force people to be 100% healthy. It's to stop the spread of covid. They're two very different things.

Stop the spread? Why?

So hospitals don't get overrun.

So we can continue to deal with the number of people who have the disease and keep deaths and side-effects down to a minimum.

Have you been listening to anything since March? Or do you think that because you lift a few weights, you're immune and nothing else matters?

No, you couldn't make the same argument for closing gyms in general. Asthma/diabetes are very easily controllable illnesses. They're common illnesses too. And they don't react well with covid. That's the kicker here.

No, the best defence to covid is quashing it.

There are other ways to get healthy than going to a gym. There were healthy people before gyms came along. I know that'll be a surprise to you, but there you go.

Schools being open is a controversial point, sure, but ultimately education is essential. A gym is not. Lots of people have pointed out why in this thread.

Quashing covid? Okay so now I see the ignorance showing through. A flat curver mindset here.

You are wrong. It is a pretty harmless virus for the under 65s, all data sets show this. Therefore, as with the flu, the best defence to it is being healthy. Do you think a vaccine is like a silver bullet where you take it and that's covid done for? There are no guarantees in that regard so it is just one line of defence. But for people that keep themselves healthy, covid won't be a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

I’m looking at this purely from a mental health point of view. I honestly don’t care what I look like or if I lose muscle mass, I really don’t. The mental health aspect of not sticking to my gym schedule will absolutely kill me.

If the inconvenience of not being able to go to the gym for 6 weeks is going to send your mental health into a spiral then you have bigger problems than not being able to go to the gym

Advertisement