Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Never thought it was a good deal for the Jets. A star running back is the last thing you should be adding in free agency, and only when you have all the other pieces in place. In fairness to Gase I think he pointed that out at the time as he never wanted him, and that’s not defending him for anything that came after by any means. I think Bell can still contribute somewhere, we’ll see.
    Or somewhere that has lost a RB through injury (Ginats to cover Saquon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

phatkev wrote: »
    I dont know about that, Bell currently looks in great shape and he is just not been used to anywhere near his potential. Last Sundays game against Arizona is a perfect example, in the run game old man Gore only had 3 less rushes than Bell. Bell had an average of 4.6 on 13 carries while Gore had 3.3 on 10. In the passing game the Jets only have one good wr in Crowder, Bell should have featured heavily in the pass game instead he had 1 target! Whilst Jeff Smith a undrafted rookie taking off the practice squad had the second most targets behind Crowder.
    Bell had a grand total of 14 touches in that game, which is a complete and utter joke and theres not much he can do about that
    I think he's got a lot left in tank and look forward to seeing him do well with whatever team picks him up

This. Bell is more than just a RB, he'll rip it up elsewhere when signed and make Gase look even more a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bell won't sign for small money anywhere is my guess. I can see him being without a team for quite a while until either some team is very desperate or he realises that taking small money and proving himself is a smarter financial move for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Or somewhere that has lost a RB through injury (Ginats to cover Saquon?)

Giants signed Freeman already but I think Bell would improve a lot of teams, Giants, Bears, Pats, Dolphins, even the Steelers. Trouble is his market has imploded and I’m not sure he has the appetite to play on a bargain contract. He strikes me as the kind of guy that would be happy to walk away now he has his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

hots wrote: »
    We generally prefer RMSRP (Run, Missed Screen, Run, Punt). Never pass on third down, no matter the scenario.

Throw in the odd 4 and 1 "3rd string TE run" for good measure as well:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

hots wrote: »
    We generally prefer RMSRP (Run, Missed Screen, Run, Punt). Never pass on third down, no matter the scenario.

Well it sounds like you're ready for a whole different brand of predictable incompetence. It sounds like you're ready to go to the DANGER ZONE! (Not to be confused with the Red Zone or the End Zone, you won't be going to those zones with Kenny Loggains).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bell won't sign for small money anywhere is my guess. I can see him being without a team for quite a while until either some team is very desperate or he realises that taking small money and proving himself is a smarter financial move for the long term.

Bell can sign anywhere for under what the jets owe him and he will double dip. So 2 million from tampa is a 8.6 million paying season

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bell can sign anywhere for under what the jets owe him and he will double dip. So 2 million from tampa is a 8.6 million paying season

Keep seeing links to Tampa but I don't understand why he'd go there. It'll be a deal until the end of the season wherever he goes and splitting time with Jones and Fournette doesn't seem like a great way to show you still have 'it' ahead of free agency.

Unless he is purely motivated by the chance to win a ring and thinks the Bucs have a good shot, there are far better landing spots for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

phatkev wrote: »
    Throw in the odd 4 and 1 "3rd string TE run" for good measure as well:(

*as Gore watches on with Wesgoat butchering the only thing he's good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Well it sounds like you're ready for a whole different brand of predictable incompetence. It sounds like you're ready to go to the DANGER ZONE! (Not to be confused with the Red Zone or the End Zone, you won't be going to those zones with Kenny Loggains).

I'm curious to see if patton oswalt can actually do anything at all. Even his flag holding has been questionable.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Antonio Brown these days?

What's the story with Antonio Brown these days?

Still suspended until after week 8, several legal cases pending. 50/50 whether he plays again tbh, I think if the legal issues were sorted out he would get picked up but teams will be very wary of bringing him in I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Still suspended until after week 8, several legal cases pending. 50/50 whether he plays again tbh, I think if the legal issues were sorted out he would get picked up but teams will be very wary of bringing him in I would think.

He ruined what should have been a HOF career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is it week 8 or 8 games from when he signs?

Guffy wrote: »
    Is it week 8 or 8 games from when he signs?

Saw conflicting reports but afaik it’s 8 games whether he is with a team or not, so I think he is technically eligible after week eight. He has a sexual assault civil case pending however. If he loses that he is surely back on the exempt list and done for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leveon bell is singing with the Kansas City chiefs according to nfl network.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Leveon bell is singing with the Kansas City chiefs according to nfl network.

Great signing for both sides. I’m sure he can still get running yards in the right scheme but where the Chiefs will really benefit is that he is an excellent pass blocker and receiving back. Reid will find all sorts of uses for him

He and Chris Jones are apparently great friends too

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pretty happy about this, lightens the load for CEH and adds another dynamic piece to the offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I hope he runs amok on Week 8.

If you are not up to much, high school football on ESPN 2. Isidore Newman Quarterback is Arch Manning, 16 year old grandson of Archie, son of Cooper.

Third generation and he looks decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If you are not up to much, high school football on ESPN 2. Isidore Newman Quarterback is Arch Manning, 16 year old grandson of Archie, son of Cooper.

Third generation and he looks decent.

SI did a long read on him earlier this year
    https://www.si.com/high-school/2020/02/11/arch-manning-next-generation-eli-peyton

Shedite27 wrote:
    SI did a long read on him earlier this year
    He's going places, there'll be a lot of colleges after him.

On Bell, if anybody can get him back to where he was it's Andy Reid.
    I'm not so sure about him though. He might be a bit of a problem child now.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

On Bell, if anybody can get him back to where he was it's Andy Reid.
    I'm not so sure about him though. He might be a bit of a problem child now.

His body doesn't seem able for it either. Despite his year break. He was a violent runner in his first 5 years in Pittsburgh. Looks to be catching up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Bengals kicked a last minute field goal against the Ravens for a final score of 27-3. A bit pointless to kick a FG but they did and got a score

The Ravens defensive coordinator took exception to this by shouting across at the Bengals coaches and now vows revenge.

I know baseball is far worse for this, I’ll never get the American sports obsession with unwritten rules :confused:
    He knew what it was because it was awful quiet when I yelled it across the field. There are some people that take that as a victory. We’ll see. We’ll have plenty to talk about the next time we play them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The Bengals kicked a last minute field goal against the Ravens for a final score of 27-3. A bit pointless to kick a FG but they did and got a score

The Ravens defensive coordinator took exception to this by shouting across at the Bengals coaches and now vows revenge.

I know baseball is far worse for this, I’ll never get the American sports obsession with unwritten rules :confused:

In fairness that's pathetic. They just didn't want to go in with no score. Not sure how you could interpret that as a slight unless you're a cnuut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, getting a shutout is a badge of honour for a Defence, can see why the Ravens D would be mad they lost it but you cant be mad at the other team for actually trying to get some points....otherwise whats the point in having them show up at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Dolphins have named Tua the starter. I'm a bit flabbergasted, as Fitz was in the form of his career going back a good 16 games. I get its the bye week, and Tua was always going to take over eventually, but I think it's a bad decision given Fitzpatrick's form. Plus, have a somewhat legit shot at a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tua has been named the starting QB in Miami. It had to happen at some point but is after about two minutes against a god awful jets team in garbage time the time to do it ?

• Advertisement

Will they let Fitz go for free. I'm sure he'll get a starting job somewhere else with the form he's shown so far. Rams, niners, Jags, Vikings could all do with help.

Advertisement