Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,548 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Christy42 wrote:
    To be fair he was dropped due to being about to be banned from prior transgressions as opposed to doing anything in NE iirc.

Having said that he probably will do something dumb. Not sure how much harm it could be though. I don't think his time in NE helped or hindered the team. If it's a 1 in a hundred chance he plays it is worth it for a team very much in win now mode.

I gotta say, and from my own time in sports as part of teams, that bringing in players like this can go either way. How do Godwin and Evans really feel about it? Two guys who have given their all for the cause.
    The charges against him look very bad too. I'm sure there's players there who don't want to play with a guy like that.

I just can't see it lasting. There'll he players that don't want him there and they'll test his limits quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Desean Jackson is on IR so that’s him out for another few weeks. It’s not been the return to philly he probably wanted but if as it seems he’s gone from the eagles at the end of the season then at least we had the first run. It’s a shame the injury from Thursday night happened on what to me should have been a flag for helmet to helmet but that’s another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

eagle eye wrote: »
    I gotta say, and from my own time in sports as part of teams, that bringing in players like this can go either way. How do Godwin and Evans really feel about it? Two guys who have given their all for the cause.
    The charges against him look very bad too. I'm sure there's players there who don't want to play with a guy like that.

I just can't see it lasting. There'll he players that don't want him there and they'll test his limits quickly.

On that note

https://twitter.com/nfl_memes/status/1319780187685486592?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Lions trade a 6th round pick to the Cowboys for Everson Griffen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Julio Jones is such a head-scatcher (heart-breaker in fantasy). With 12,700+ receiving yards he is ranked 22nd all-time. Yet he only has 59 TDs after almost a decade ranking at 99th all-time. I don't understand how Atlanta have managed to contrive this. Any time I've watched him play he seems an absolute beast but when it comes to the red-zone he is routinely ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tristram wrote: »
    Julio Jones is such a head-scatcher (heart-breaker in fantasy). With 12,700+ receiving yards he is ranked 22nd all-time. Yet he only has 59 TDs after almost a decade ranking at 99th all-time. I don't understand how Atlanta have managed to contrive this. Any time I've watched him play he seems an absolute beast but when it comes to the red-zone he is routinely ignored.

Roddy White who is retired 5 years still has 4 more receiving TD’s than Julio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

OOnegative wrote: »
    Roddy White who is retired 5 years still has 4 more receiving TD’s than Julio.

What do you mean "still"...? :confused:

He was drafted 6 years before Julio Jones and played in 40 more games that Jones has palyed so far.

What do you mean "still"...? :confused:

He was drafted 6 years before Julio Jones and played in 40 more games that Jones has palyed so far.

I wasn’t having a go at Julio, i just checked Whites stats and couldn’t believe he was still ahead of Jones TD wise even being retired 5 years.

I wasn’t having a go at Julio, i just checked Whites stats and couldn’t believe he was still ahead of Jones TD wise even being retired 5 years.

Again though, what do you mean "even being retired 5 years"....…?

That's like saying "wow, Jerry Rice had more TDs than Michael Thomas despite being retired 15 years..."

Yes, because he has played a lot more games than Thomas. The same way White has played a lot more games than Jones. Your point might stand if they were drafted the same year but I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

Again though, what do you mean "even being retired 5 years"....…?

That's like saying "wow, Jerry Rice had more TDs than Michael Thomas despite being retired 15 years..."

Yes, because he has played a lot more games than Thomas. The same way White has played a lot more games than Jones. Your point might stand if they were drafted the same year but I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

The point I’m trying to make is I thought JJ was more productive like the OP who brought the subject up originally about him. I figured he was way ahead of White TD wise, a guy who is retired 5 years. That a bit more clear?

• Advertisement

The point I’m trying to make is I thought JJ was more productive like the OP who brought the subject up originally about him. I figured he was way ahead of White TD wise, a guy who is retired 5 years. That a bit more clear?

No, not clear at all.

Why do you keep bringing up how long White is retired? Why does that matter?

OOnegative wrote:

Well what you should be saying is that with the way the game has gone and how much it favours wide receivers today that you'd expect him to be ahead of White with a lot less games.
    I'm expecting it won't be long before Jerry Rice loses his records due to how much the game favours receivers today.

No, not clear at all.

Why do you keep bringing up how long White is retired? Why does that matter?

I’ll leave you to it so, I’ve made the point I wanted. You don’t agree fair enough.

Kyle Orton has more passing yards than Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson - the last 2 MVP winners - combined.

Even more crazy when you consider Orton has been retired for 6 years.

Kyle Orton has more passing yards than Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson - the last 2 MVP winners - combined.
    Matt Ryan is top ten all time, Ryan Fitzpatrick is 31st.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well what you should be saying is that with the way the game has gone and how much it favours wide receivers today that you'd expect him to be ahead of White with a lot less games.
    I'm expecting it won't be long before Jerry Rice loses his records due to how much the game favours receivers today.

Not sure about that. Rice is so far in front in a lot of these records that its hard to see who will overtake him,

Receiving yards: 22,895

Active players:

Larry Fitz - 17,290
    Jason Witten 13,012
    Julio - 12,709
    AB - 11,263
    Desean Jackson - 10,575
    Demarius Thomos - 9,763
    Hopkins - 9306
    AJ Green - 9204

Realistically a player is going to have to play at least 15 years at a very high level to have a chance at this, so this record will stand for at least another decade.

Receiving TD's is similar:

Rice 197
    Fitz: 120
    Gronk: 81
    Graham 78
    Brown 75
    Witten 73
    AJ Green 63
    DT: 63
    Olsen 60
    Julio 59
    Hopkins 57

Maybe some of his records will fall but the above 2 are safe for a long time. Receptions is probably the same,

Fitz would need another 150 receptions to overtake him and no one else even close. Julio is over 700 receptions behind.

I just don't see who is going to take these records.

Yeah, he had a twenty year career which will make it difficult.
    The average per game yardage leaders shed some light on what I'm saying. Jerry Rice sits 11th on that list and seven of the top eight are still playing, Calvin Johnson is at no. 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Even more crazy when you consider Orton has been retired for 6 years.

How many more attempts has Orton had though?

White had less receptions than Jones currently has and has still got 4 more TDs, which I think is what the originally post was referring to. Or maybe not but thats what I took from it

phatkev wrote: »
    How many more attempts has Orton had though?

White had less receptions than Jones currently has and has still got 4 more TDs, which I think is what the originally post was referring to. Or maybe not but thats what I took from it

He made no reference to receptions, he was specifically trying to make some strange point about "even though he retired x years ago...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

He made no reference to receptions, he was specifically trying to make some strange point about "even though he retired x years ago...."

The point about retiring is because the league is becoming more pass happy over time leading to more catches and receiving TDs.

• Advertisement

Well it appears there's merit to it.

How isn't Ravens/Steelers on MNF?

Why would it be MNF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Probably because they are on primetime at thanksgiving as well in a few weeks but yeah, it does look like the best game of the week. I’m not complaining, will be able to go to bed at a respectable hour with work early on Monday.

In fairness Eagles vs Cowboys on Sunday night would have been a good looking game when they were setting the schedule.

Never mind, just seen it's on the box.

Well it appears there's merit to it.

What merit is there to it?

White had 808 receptions for 63 TDs.
    Jones has 835 receptions for 59 TDs.

Those are remarkably similar, the difference is marginal.

If the point was supposed to be that Jones has less touchdowns despite playing in a more pass-happy and receiver friendly era, then it doesn't have merit because Jones has achieved the above in 40 less games and has a better TD-per-game ratio over his career.

Add in the 8 playoff games that Jones has played and he overtakes White on TDs and he's still played 32 games less than him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the point is that Jones is frequently talked about as one of the best receivers in the game, something you don't hear about White yet remarkably similar stat lines, even though Jones is playing in a more pass happy era.

I think its fairly strange that Jones doesn't score more TD's to be honest given the amount of yardage he racks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think the point is that Jones is frequently talked about as one of the best receivers in the game, something you don't hear about White yet remarkably similar stat lines, even though Jones is playing in a more pass happy era.

I think its fairly strange that Jones doesn't score more TD's to be honest given the amount of yardage he racks up.

Am I imagining it that the Falcons don't target him in the red-zone? I get that he is double-covered most of the time and the Falcons have had strong alternative receiver options but I still think it's surprising he doesn't have more TDs.

What merit is there to it?
    White has more touchdowns in less games.

• Advertisement

White has more touchdowns in less games.

No he doesn't.

The very opposite is true.

Jones has more TDs in less games.

Jones = 140 games / 65 TDs
    White = 171 Games / 63 TDs

Advertisement