Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean who needs a pro bowl ? It’s the most pointless game every year. Use that week for the conference championships and only a week between super bowl and conference championships. Also, if they want to keep the playoffs as they were timeline wise and seeing as they cancelled the pre season why didn’t they start the season earlier and and build in time in anticipation of what is happening now.

Plus unless we get some serious let up with covid then the pro bowl would have to be one of the most monumentally stupid things you could do. Mixing a load of different teams together for a pointless game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Christy42 wrote: »
    Plus unless we get some serious let up with covid then the pro bowl would have to be one of the most monumentally stupid things you could do. Mixing a load of different teams together for a pointless game.

I didn't think it was possible to imagine something more pointless than the pro-bowl each year, but you found it: the pro-bowl THIS year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ian rappaport has been taken off the air until October 22nd because of something he posted on one of his social media accounts that hadn’t been approved by the network. Did he get a story so badly wrong or something ?

There’s so many differing answers on Twitter that it’s hard to know what’s the right one. An NFL Memes joke about Carson Wentz pops up the most but it’s being kept fairly quiet whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Ian rappaport has been taken off the air until October 22nd because of something he posted on one of his social media accounts that hadn’t been approved by the network. Did he get a story so badly wrong or something ?

He posted an unauthorised endorsement for a shaving product supposedly. Seems a bit extreme to suspend him but I guess they don’t want their reporters using work accounts for side gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Dan Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff have been unsurprisingly fired by Atlanta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Apparently with yesterday’s victory, Baker Mayfield tied Ben Roethlisberger as the all-time winningest quarterback in FirstEnergy Stadium history with 11 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well while your on Browns stuff, last winning season was 2007 and current interim Texans head coach of Romeo Crennel was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well while your on Browns stuff, last winning season was 2007 and current interim Texans head coach of Romeo Crennel was in charge.

Last 4-1 start and Bill was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That mean they're about to up sticks and move the franchise?

• Advertisement

Perhaps.

Meanwhile, Jets fans get excited again...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Perhaps.

Why are jets fans excited again ? Please tell me Adam gase has been told to hit the brick in New Jersey.

Perhaps.

Why are jets fans excited again ? Please tell me Adam gase has been told to hit the brick in New Jersey.

Because Bill Belichick might take over. See posts above.:D:D:D:D

I was merely harking back to the olden times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bell surprisingly released by the Jets tonight. Nobody interested in a trade.

The Bears should be doing everything they can to get him signed. David Montgomery is all we have at RB with Cohen out for the year.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1316179823467917314

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

God I hate being a Jet fan

raven136 wrote: »
    God I hate being a Jet fan

Will they fire Gase soon? If I was a Falcons fan I'd have been happy they didn't just zombie their way through the season and instead just did it. Gives you a chance to assess someone internally as HC material, and to get a good jump on the process of replacing, as well as planning for things like the next draft etc.

This craic of him giving up playcalling duties (potentially for Dowell Loggains, lol) is only feckacting while waiting for the inevitable. Ye look a strong candidate to go 0-16, would be thick not to fire him at this stage, might even be a small morale boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bell surprisingly released by the Jets tonight. Nobody interested in a trade.

The Bears should be doing everything they can to get him signed. David Montgomery is all we have at RB with Cohen out for the year.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1316179823467917314

I dont think theres a person I hate more on this planet right now than Adam Gase. Whats happening to the Jets right now is a carbon copy of what went on in Miami.
    Cant wait to see Bell ball out on a new team, while Gase continues to hand the ball of to a 100 year old Frank Gore 50 time a game

Will they fire Gase soon? If I was a Falcons fan I'd have been happy they didn't just zombie their way through the season and instead just did it. Gives you a chance to assess someone internally as HC material, and to get a good jump on the process of replacing, as well as planning for things like the next draft etc.

This craic of him giving up playcalling duties (potentially for Dowell Loggains, lol) is only feckacting while waiting for the inevitable. Ye look a strong candidate to go 0-16, would be thick not to fire him at this stage, might even be a small morale boost.

I thinks Gase stays the rest of the season, the Jets ownership have a track record of holding onto people far to long because they're afraid of been seen as having made a wrong/bad decision.

I'm surprised anyone outside the Jets even knows who Loggins is! His biggest claim to fame as a Jet was being allowed to be in charge of the challenge flag!!

I could nearly guarantee that if Gase and his cronies were gone there would be a vast improvement in Darnolds play. He's another player that I would just rather see on another team and be giving a chance to develop properly

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Jets look setup for a complete re-build. In some ways it's a better job for a GM or HC to take than Atlanta or Houston. Atlanta have a lot of money tied up in aging stars. Houston have few draft picks.

Per here https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/2021/ only one player in Jamison Crowder counts for over 10m on the cap in 2021 and he's worth it. They will have a top 5 pick and also a pick in the bottom of the first due to the Adams trade.

The Jets look setup for a complete re-build. In some ways it's a better job for a GM or HC to take than Atlanta or Houston. Atlanta have a lot of money tied up in aging stars. Houston have few draft picks.

Per here https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/2021/ only one player in Jamison Crowder counts for over 10m on the cap in 2021 and he's worth it. They will have a top 5 pick and also a pick in the bottom of the first due to the Adams trade.

The Jets have been doing one of these for the last decade:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phatkev wrote: »
    The Jets have been doing one of these for the last decade:(

Very true but there's little stopping a complete tearing up of the roster. Two first rounders, a second rounder and two third rounders in the draft next year.

phatkev wrote:
    I dont think theres a person I hate more on this planet right now than Adam Gase. Whats happening to the Jets right now is a carbon copy of what went on in Miami. Cant wait to see Bell ball out on a new team, while Gase continues to hand the ball of to a 100 year old Frank Gore 50 time a game

Well I think you should hate Woody Johnson more.

Gase isn't the first disaster there, franchise has been in a heap for most of Johnson's time as owner.

That's where the buck stops imo.

Well I think you should hate Woody Johnson more.

Gase isn't the first disaster there, franchise has been in a heap for most of Johnson's time as owner.

That's where the buck stops imo.

Absolutely, but as long has big pharma keeps ticking along Woody and his bozo brother are never going to sell and thats something I've come to terms with

But Gase is the sole reason talent are walking away from this team, the Narcissistic fool has literally just cut probably the most gifted player on the team because he liked a tweet and imo he's the sole reason Darnold is regressing in his 3rd year.
    The team are 0-5, are trash in all 3 phases of the game and Gase has never once put the blame on himself, instead he's thrown everyone else under the bus, this is not what a HC is supposed to do. I wouldnt put him in charge of a peewee team nevermind an NFL team

Regardless of who is to blame, that Bell contract was a disaster. $28m for four TD’s over a season and a quarter and the lowest yards per carry in the league this season. Best for both parties to go their separate ways. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up and how he performs in a presumably better scheme.

Did not see that thumping for the Bills coming last night. Watched highlights this morning, absolute disaster for the Bills with fumbles, turnovers and mistakes everywhere, albeit the Titans played well and were very clinical in the Redzone. The AFC playoff race is really intriguing this year, lots of teams on the mix.

Regardless of who is to blame, that Bell contract was a disaster. $28m for four TD’s over a season and a quarter and the lowest yards per carry in the league this season. Best for both parties to go their separate ways. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up and how he performs in a presumably better scheme.
    Well that's in hindsight. I seen lots on here saying it was a great deal for the Jets at the time.
    I was personally of the opinion that if a guy is willing to sit out a year that you can't trust him to do his job.
    Did not see that thumping for the Bills coming last night. Watched highlights this morning, absolute disaster for the Bills with fumbles, turnovers and mistakes everywhere, albeit the Titans played well and were very clinical in the Redzone. The AFC playoff race is really intriguing this year, lots of teams on the mix.
    Bills had both corners missing, some other defenders picked up injuries during the game. On top of that Allen had an off night, wasn't accurate with his throws.
    You don't get away with that against a well rested 3-0 team.

I was personally of the opinion that if a guy is willing to sit out a year that you can't trust him to do his job.

I dont know about that, Bell currently looks in great shape and he is just not been used to anywhere near his potential. Last Sundays game against Arizona is a perfect example, in the run game old man Gore only had 3 less rushes than Bell. Bell had an average of 4.6 on 13 carries while Gore had 3.3 on 10. In the passing game the Jets only have one good wr in Crowder, Bell should have featured heavily in the pass game instead he had 1 target! Whilst Jeff Smith a undrafted rookie taking off the practice squad had the second most targets behind Crowder.
    Bell had a grand total of 14 touches in that game, which is a complete and utter joke and theres not much he can do about that
    I think he's got a lot left in tank and look forward to seeing him do well with whatever team picks him up

Well that's in hindsight. I seen lots on here saying it was a great deal for the Jets at the time.

Bills had both corners missing, some other defenders picked up injuries during the game. On top of that Allen had an off night, wasn't accurate with his throws.
    You don't get away with that against a well rested 3-0 team.

Never thought it was a good deal for the Jets. A star running back is the last thing you should be adding in free agency, and only when you have all the other pieces in place. In fairness to Gase I think he pointed that out at the time as he never wanted him, and that’s not defending him for anything that came after by any means. I think Bell can still contribute somewhere, we’ll see.

Every team has injuries right now, still wasn’t expecting the Titans to drop 40+ on the Bills. I have heard Josh Allen being talked about in MVP conversations, I expect that talk will cool off now.

I'm surprised anyone outside the Jets even knows who Loggins is! His biggest claim to fame as a Jet was being allowed to be in charge of the challenge flag!!

Oh bears fans know who he is alright. I wonder if he'll get a chance to implement his patented RRPP offense in New York. (That's the Run Run Pass Punt, for those not previously traumatised by it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I dont know about that, Bell currently looks in great shape and he is just not been used to anywhere near his potential. Last Sundays game against Arizona is a perfect example, in the run game old man Gore only had 3 less rushes than Bell. Bell had an average of 4.6 on 13 carries while Gore had 3.3 on 10. In the passing game the Jets only have one good wr in Crowder, Bell should have featured heavily in the pass game instead he had 1 target! Whilst Jeff Smith a undrafted rookie taking off the practice squad had the second most targets behind Crowder.
    Bell had a grand total of 14 touches in that game, which is a complete and utter joke and theres not much he can do about that
    I think he's got a lot left in tank and look forward to seeing him do well with whatever team picks him up
    I was only looking at his stats this morning when the story broke, his effectiveness when he got the ball has whittled down a bit from his Pittsburgh days.
    In Pittsburgh he was averaging 4.4 yards per carry, whereas it's just 3.3 in NY (Gore is 3.2 this year)
    In Pittsburgh 24% of his runs went for first downs, in NY it's just 15% (Gore is 19%)

A lot of that has to do with being behind a worse offensive line, but as ya see Gore is getting similar results, for less drama and presumably less money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Oh bears fans know who he is alright. I wonder if he'll get a chance to implement his patented RRPP offense in New York. (That's the Run Run Pass Punt, for those not previously traumatised by it)

We generally prefer RMSRP (Run, Missed Screen, Run, Punt). Never pass on third down, no matter the scenario.

Advertisement