Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,241 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Acosta wrote: »
    Nah that was Katie something or another. Another one homeschooled by Youth Defence parents. Didn't stand a chance.

ah yes, Katie Ascough

• Registered Users Posts: 40,972 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is that the one that was fired as president of a student union somewhere?

Her Brothers and Sisters took NUI Galway to court

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/students-claiming-religious-bias-urge-further-investigation-1.3391194

They were all fairly extreme in their homophobia in 2014/2015 alright.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ah yes, Katie Ascough

while I absolutely don't prescribe to Katie Ascough's views, she was very poorly treated by the university. Absolutely bullied in a way that would be an outrage were she a member of almost any other major religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Her Brothers and Sisters took NUI Galway to court

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/students-claiming-religious-bias-urge-further-investigation-1.3391194

They were all fairly extreme in their homophobia in 2014/2015 alright.

still though, a 'lifetime ban' from all 'societies' in NUI Galway, - harsh? even "discrimination". Probably they would not enter those societies anyway; but they are young, and it does seem very harsh. Anyhow, after 3 years, they won the case?
    The family are so serious, veer somewhat to didactic. But [I think] they won this under the Equality Act? good sometimes that people challenge these Acts.

They say "the politicians are not representing the people", sounds good to me; as does their dialectic about 'freedom of speech' and 'religious expression'.
    Their 'Burke Broadcast' on youtube; interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Clowns People disrupt the Mayo Coroner's Court.
    The female, Jemima Burke, seems to be from a family with experience of protesting and was at the High Court to see fellow pro-Christian anti-homosexual campaigners GOD and JW (https://westernpeople.ie/2020/05/10/who-is-jemima-burke-the-mayo-journalist-whose-questioning-of-dr-tony-holohan-went-viral/ )

That family are like the Irish version of the Westboro Baptists. Bunch of complete weirdos.

• Advertisement

That family are like the Irish version of the Westboro Baptists. Bunch of complete weirdos.

which is really odd, they keep making NUIG suffer for it, child after child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Acosta

while I absolutely don't prescribe to Katie Ascough's views, she was very poorly treated by the university. Absolutely bullied in a way that would be an outrage were she a member of almost any other major religion.

She said her views on abortion wouldn't interfere with her role as student president when campaigning. Then let it interfere with her role as president by blocking information on abortion services being printed on a student guide for freshers week, wasting thousands on euro in the process. I think they had a clear cut case in calling for a vote to impeach her. And clearly the majority agreed as they voted her out.

Acosta wrote: »
    She said her views on abortion wouldn't interfere with her role as student president when campaigning. Then let it interfere with her role as president by blocking information on abortion services being printed on a student guide for freshers week, wasting thousands on euro in the process. I think they had a clear cut case in calling for a vote to impeach her. And clearly the majority agreed as they voted her out.

and I disagree with what she did, but the abuse and attacks she got, being labeled 'baby Iona' etc.. were completely unwarranted. Especially as most of the abuse came from the same sections of people who regularly are the loudest voices against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Bollocks. Promised to not allow her personal beliefs interfere with her work as an SU officer. Promptly did exactly that and pulled information that had been published for years from the students' journal. Got called on it, got her just desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Acosta

and I disagree with what she did, but the abuse and attacks she got, being labeled 'baby Iona' etc.. were completely unwarranted. Especially as most of the abuse came from the same sections of people who regularly are the loudest voices against that.

Baby Iona is hardly offensive? Not that I would agree with actual abuse being sent her way. It's easy enough to win an argument with that lot without resorting to abuse as seen in the last two referendums. Iona on the other hand have come out with some fairly disgusting stuff towards women and gay people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do feel so sorry for the Gardaí who are going to have to deal with her and her likes with their live streaming in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

I do feel so sorry for the Gardaí who are going to have to deal with her and her likes with their live streaming in the next few weeks!

In fairness if the fines come in for being outside the 5km limit the chances are her fines would easily cover the covid bill for the entire country lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Wifi jammer next to her would really annoy her

a quick look at her linkedin page shows the description of "baby iona" isn't far off. How many people list "fulltime anti-abortion campaigner" on their linkedin page.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Clowns People disrupt the Mayo Coroner's Court.
    The female, Jemima Burke, seems to be from a family with experience of protesting and was at the High Court to see fellow pro-Christian anti-homosexual campaigners GOD and JW (https://westernpeople.ie/2020/05/10/who-is-jemima-burke-the-mayo-journalist-whose-questioning-of-dr-tony-holohan-went-viral/ )

they dont give 1 sh1t about that poor girl. They just like causing hassle and being seen to cause hassle. Its funny, these mad religious ones (like Gemma) are very un Christian in their thinking. Its a pity because they seem to be absolute geniuses but what value would they ever give to society.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's one thing calling someone names (I'm not aware of any other abuse she received) but it's another thing to withhold vital information to someone who may need the information because it is contra to your beliefs. Even if you said you wouldn't let your beliefs affect your decisions before a vote was cast.

What I really don't get is why you think this is some form of "gotcha" moment against the left. People are allowed to be vocal against opposition, especially if the opposition is trying to restrict the rights of many.
    It's about punching up, not down. Why can't you right wingers ever get that?

That's horrible.
    You can bet she wouldn't do it to a guard or a younger person.

It's one thing calling someone names (I'm not aware of any other abuse she received) but it's another thing to withhold vital information to someone who may need the information because it is contra to your beliefs. Even if you said you wouldn't let your beliefs affect your decisions before a vote was cast.

What I really don't get is why you think this is some form of "gotcha" moment against the left. People are allowed to be vocal against opposition, especially if the opposition is trying to restrict the rights of many.
    It's about punching up, not down. Why can't you right wingers ever get that?
    punching down is all they know. they dont understand why anybody would want to punch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

punching down is all they know. they dont understand why anybody would want to punch up.

GOD comes across as extremely deranged but i hate that gormless " punching down " leftist term

it implies that certain demographics ( beit travellers or council house residents ) are incapable of reaching any number of general standards and to criticise them is wrong as they know no better , ties in the with whole " bigotry of low expectations " mindset

there are people willing to rob us and hurt us at all income levels , no sacred cows

thats real equality

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    GOD comes across as extremely deranged but i hate that gormless " punching down " leftist term

it implies that certain demographics ( beit travellers or council house residents ) are incapable of reaching any number of general standards and to criticise them is wrong as they know no better , ties in the with whole " bigotry of low expectations " mindset

there are people willing to rob us and hurt us at all income levels , no sacred cows

thats real equality

it doesnt imply that at all. you're just quoting your own opinion of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

If the tenor of some of the abuse she received had have occurred in the north people would have been arrested for their sectarianism and bigotry.

The information published in the magazine about abortions abroad - at the time - could only legally be provided by doctors, councilors or certain specific agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"No one is allowed to wear a mask near me."

FFS.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Penfailed wrote: »

FFS.
    Chivalry be damned, she needs a slap to knock some of the hysteria out of her. Moron.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Penfailed wrote: »

FFS.

whatever about not wanting to personally wear one (for whatever made up reason) , that is just the height of ignorance. She really has proved that this isn't a 'freedom' thing, this is just contrarian nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

whatever about not wanting to personally wear one (for whatever made up reason) , that is just the height of ignorance. She really has proved that this isn't a 'freedom' thing, this is just contrarian nonsense.
    It's an appeal to the "karens" and "kyles" on Arsebook and Twatter so she can get the drug she's addicted to, attention. She's a notice box. And given the average IQ is 100, that means there's a fair cohort of people below that who will buy into her bullsh1t, because, well they're idiots.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

it doesnt imply that at all. you're just quoting your own opinion of those people.

it absolutely does , its about ringfencing individuals from criticism based on what profile they fit , therefore a traveller is not held to the same standard as a working professional from say drumcondra , the left have a sacred cow list of people and groups you can not criticise

they dont see individuals , they see identity etc

" punch down " is about policing views and opinions

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    it absolutely does , its about ringfencing individuals from criticism based on what profile they fit , therefore a traveller is not held to the same standard as a working professional from say drumcondra , the left have a sacred cow list of people and groups you can not criticise

they dont see individuals , they see identity etc

" punch down " is about policing views and opinions

nope. that is not it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement

nope. that is not it at all.

so what does " punch down " mean ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement