Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some nice Steinharts on that link.
    And in a 39mm midsize too.

My eye is drawn to this one and I know why.

I like it but I'll hold out for the real one I want :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

oxocube wrote: »

Very cool watch!

Reminds me of the YM. That's the one you want? The YM rhodium? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

unkel wrote: »
    Reminds me of the YM. That's the one you want? The YM rhodium? :cool:

Alas yes, this is the one I want :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Eoin wrote: »
    Anyone here owned a Sinn 104? I am very tempted, but I've read it wears on the smaller side which wouldn't suit me too well.

I'll let you know on Monday-ish - have one in the post. Took a gamble on one in "Fair" condition which actually looks a solid 8/10 to my eyes from the extensive macro shots the seller sent me. Just hairlines and desk dive, no dings. Hoping he's just brutally honest and self deprecating. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

david wrote: »
    I'll let you know on Monday-ish - have one in the post. Took a gamble on one in "Fair" condition which actually looks a solid 8/10 to my eyes from the extensive macro shots the seller sent me. Just hairlines and desk dive, no dings. Hoping he's just brutally honest and self deprecating. :pac:

Look forward to hearing more! What colour did you go for? I wanna get the white one.

• Advertisement

This is the one I am very tempted by:

fancybox_b238_sinn_104_white_1.jpg

Or possibly this - I can't find a ton else with a similar style (I really want a white face)

15686700-k9hb6kme55z59endhx069y03-Zoom.jpg

That's not much of a race between those two Eoin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Even though i have a soft spot for damasko the sinn is a much nicer looking watch eoin,

what about the white dialled bremont solo on tz-uk atm, handsome watch also.

That's not much of a race between those two Eoin :p

As in one's a clear winner for you?
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Even though i have a soft spot for damasko the sinn is a much nicer looking watch eoin,

what about the white dialled bremont solo on tz-uk atm, handsome watch also.

That is a good looking watch, but I prefer the look (and price!) of the Sinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Sinn is the absolute winner for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Look forward to hearing more! What colour did you go for? I wanna get the white one.

I went for the black with indices. H Link and black gator straps. Liked the white but I'm hoping to limit myself to a two watch collection for now (My Stowa is white faced already)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I can't decide if I love it or hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For nerds like myself and Unkel ;)

Breitling just got a lot more interesting.
    Moving their certification, authentication, ownership and warranty records onto Blockchain!

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/breitlings-officially-replaces-box-and-papers-with-digital-certification-in-sustainability-effort-1234574996/amp/

I need to read this a few more times, but I am not totally sure what problem blockchain is solving here (or in 90% of cases it's mentioned in general)

I need to read this a few more times, but I am not totally sure what problem blockchain is solving here (or in 90% of cases it's mentioned in general)

It's not really solving anything that a database wouldn't.
    It's using a Blockchain to marry the serial number of the watch to its service and warranty records and keep it traceable.

Ideally would be an anti-fake measure if the record is public Blockchain.
    That said Nike tried a database for verifying some of their stuff recently and that ended up being faked too :pac:

With Breitling in particular imo given they use mainly ETA movements rather than in-house, I'd always be wary of them 2nd hand without decent provenance.
    Could make the secondary market a lot more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

banie01 wrote: »
    It's using a Blockchain to marry the serial number of the watch to its service and warranty records and keep it traceable.

Ideally would be an anti-fake measure if the record is public Blockchain.
    That said Nike tried a database for verifying some of their stuff recently and that ended up being faked too :pac:

With Breitling in particular imo given they use mainly ETA movements rather than in-house, I'd always be wary of them 2nd hand without decent provenance.
    Could make the secondary market a lot more secure.

brilliant, so now you need, box, papers and usb key :D

Fitz II wrote: »
    brilliant, so now you need, box, papers and usb key :D

And a decent BB connection ;)

banie01 wrote: »

With the big added value that that database is public (open for anyone to view) and immutable. Service history would be recorded (by Breitling only) and so would change of ownership.

Imagine, just sync the blockchain on any PC / laptop and you will be able to find out if that Breitling you are about to buy has ever been stolen, is it currently stolen or with the legit owner, when was it serviced and where, etc.

Rolex need to do this ASAP. The likes of Paul Thorpe have been banging on about Rolex needing to restore the stolen watch register, but this would be a considerable step up. But in the ultra conservative world of luxury watches, this will probably take a while :D

Kinda suprised at this move from Breitling (and VC)

Do public blockchains not use enormous amounts of energy? And the (questionable) point of them is so you don't need to trust a specific organisation, which in this case seems like a weird scenario. Unless it's actually a private blockchain, in which case it's just a case of using hot buzzwords to say they're storing info in a computer.

Do public blockchains not use enormous amounts of energy?

No. Not all blockhains = BTC (which uses the overwhelming majority of all energy of all blockchains)

The latter is based on POW (proof of work) which indeed uses enormous amounts of energy in mining the blocks that make the network work (as an aside, even on BTC most energy for mining is from renewables), but there is no reason at all why a blockchain would need to be. Can be POS (proof of stake), which does not use any significant energy, there is no mining
    the (questionable) point of them is so you don't need to trust a specific organisation, which in this case seems like a weird scenario. Unless it's actually a private blockchain, in which case it's just a case of using hot buzzwords to say they're storing info in a computer.

That's a bit of a simplistic view, it's not just a private database stored on a computer (in Breitling's secured office), it's a publicly accessible database that is secure because it is public (and distributed). Of course in this case you still need to trust a specific organisation (Breitling) to make the entries into the system (original purchase, service records, subsequent private and dealer sales, thefts, auctions, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭893bet

Will easy for them to keep up to date at least.

(As they sell **** all)

That's a bit of a simplistic view, it's not just a private database stored on a computer (in Breitling's secured office), it's a publicly accessible database that is secure because it is public (and distributed). Of course in this case you still need to trust a specific organisation (Breitling) to make the entries into the system (original purchase, service records, subsequent private and dealer sales, thefts, auctions, etc.)

Having the info readily available online - great. Trusting Breitling to make all the necessary updates - makes sense. A distributed database so that I know that Breitling haven't retrospectively edited the data that I trusted them to be in charge of in the first place - meh.

Honestly, I think it's great that this info could be easily accessible, and I am probably just splitting hairs. But just having a website where you can get this info seems like a good enough solution, without needing to jump on hot tech buzzwords.

I am more worried about buying a fake than a stolen watch anyway, so I am not sure how any of this would help with that.

just having a website where you can get this info seems like a good enough solution

Agreed. It's much better than what we have now.
    without needing to jump on hot tech buzzwords.

That's a bit dismissive if you don't mind me saying. There is added value of using a distributed incorruptible database where no data can be changed afterwards. Did I manage to avoid the hot tech buzzwords there? :p

That's a bit dismissive if you don't mind me saying. There is added value of using a distributed incorruptible database where no data can be changed afterwards. Did I manage to avoid the hot tech buzzwords there? :p

I was referring to the article, not you! I think the big, big win here is having the info readily available. Talking about how it's done (and the distributed data is a largely a fringe benefit, when there's still a huge deal of trust required in one organisation for this to be of any value at all) just feels like a company trying to sound all modern.

Anyhow, I am now torn between the white and blue dial. I would like a white dial watch, but I might just mod one of my SKXs again for that.

x104_St_Sa_I_B.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6vNgnLl2Nw.webp

Both very nice, but the blue has the edge for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I was eying up that blue one for ages but never got around to buying it. I don't remember why I didn't buy one at the time I was interested in it (long delivery time at the time possibly) but maybe one day I'll pick one up.

Blue dialled version of my vc overseas on tz-uk sc atm , pricey at 10.5k but nice watch

Heads up as I know a few like them

Blue dialled version of my vc overseas on tz-uk sc atm , pricey at 10.5k but nice watch

Strong price with no bracelet. Did not realise that that version was limited to 350 pieces.

Is yours 42mm? Thought it was 40?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Is yours 42mm? Thought it was 40?

Yes 42mm

The deep stream and blue dialled were run out models
    I think .

Advertisement