Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yes 42mm

The deep stream and blue dialled were run out models
    I think .

Had a squint but can’t make maths work. It’s a little bigger than I would like. Would need to handle it before buying so that’s a zero chance! This has grown on me a lot.

E5-B3-F36-D-F5-A0-443-F-A34-C-5-AB3-E21-ACCFC.jpgfree screen capture

Think the one on TZ would look good in Fitz collection....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »

Think the one on TZ would look good in Fitz collection....

Away foul temptress

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    Both very nice, but the blue has the edge for me!

Deal done on a blue one - now to sit here and wait impatiently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I'm on the verge of buying a Seiko Presage, and am torn between the Mockingbird (srpd37j1) and the Mojito (srpe45j1). Anyone have views they'd care to share that might help to decide?

I realise green dials probably aren't to everyones taste. Id probably lean towards the Mojito; whats putting me off a little are the smaller size and the strap (the latter easily fixed, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm on the verge of buying a Seiko Presage, and am torn between the Mockingbird (srpd37j1) and the Mojito (srpe45j1). Anyone have views they'd care to share that might help to decide?

I realise green dials probably aren't to everyones taste. Id probably lean towards the Mojito; whats putting me off a little are the smaller size and the strap (the latter easily fixed, I know).

They both remind me of the Orient Bambino. Given a choice I'd go for the Mojito. Nice looking dress watches.
    Both have the 4R35 movement which is the same as in my recent purchase of a Seiko SRPE53 (Seiko 5) but without the day complication. You're paying the extra for a more sophisticated dial.

• Advertisement

Whats in your watchbox that will be work 175k in 50 years?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54631014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

OK, I'll admit it I may have a problem.

I'm a watch fan and I've bought a timegrapher.

But it's worth it!

Here's the Alpha M1957 with the Sea Gull ST1903 movement:
    Rflmqz.jpg

Here's my Zeish 7750 flieger. No service history, owned for about three years:
    CU6CJ9.jpg

Not bad!

Could do with a service, but will be grand for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

If you want to get the right amplitude you have to make sure the lift angle is set correctly (in case you didn't know about that).

Reports online vary but a lift angle of around 50 degrees is what should be inputted apparently.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    If you want to get the right amplitude you have to make sure the lift angle is set correctly (in case you didn't know about that).

Reports online vary but a lift angle of around 50 degrees is what should be inputted apparently.

Yea, spot on.

There seems to be some debate on this.

The ST19 series of movements is based on the old Venus 175, with a lift angle of 42 degrees.

However, when Sea Gull made it a little more robust and fit for use in military applications, it became 47-49.

Having looked about a fair bit, a grown up (actual horologist) suggested that after some experimentation 47 degrees produced the best result. So that's what I used.

That does give a slightly low amplitude reading but as the watch had been running for about 16 hours after a full wind at this point, I was happy enough with that.

The watch was only acquired in November of last year, so I'm not really concerned in terms of mainspring.

122386920-3684985628180505-7403957416676409017-o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Stud who likes his watches but probably doesn't even know what a timegrapher is

PNGe5AJmR8jiJrmDCtTZP1lkpE24PePbi3vZ-Nq_nbckJqHcRosopgSAaEvbzBYu0IT8Gs6Fqk3MSlig0T1O96Nko3eIRV2vYMV0sehFqDd7JOoYpZiSIQ

Fitz II wrote: »

Oi, I resemble that remark!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Oi, I resemble that remark!
    That's why I prefer to live in blissful ignorance, something I find remarkably easy to attain. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is the it the other half of the collection?
    Or the actual other half ;) that needs the service tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Question for some people with a bit more experience than myself...

If one had an Omega watch but the the warranty card was never filled out, would I be correct in saying that it wouldn't be covered for any repairs under the 5 year Omega warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just want to wish Wibbs good luck resetting all his watches at 2 a.m.

We're rooting for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Birney, You utter C U Next Tuesday!:mad::D:D I'd completely forgotten about that. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wibbs wrote: »
    Birney, You utter C U Next Tuesday!:mad::D:D I'd completely forgotten about that. :eek:

C You Next Next Tuesday (3rd November).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Question on bezel insert on my 300m. I think my insert is off alignment. It should line up with the bezel point. I had the watch back for a service/polish with watchfix. They reckon the insert is where it should be but before I sent it in it was as per the second picture. It should be easy for it to be moved back? It's not that big of a deal to be honest but just a little annoying.

Chris reckons there always play in the bezel but I don't think it's anything to do with the bezel?

Screenshot-20201025-121842.png

Before it went in

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200421185917372-COVER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hi folks,

Question on bezel insert on my 300m. I think my insert is off alignment. It should line up with the bezel point. I had the watch back for a service/polish with watchfix. They reckon the insert is where it should be but before I sent it in it was as per the second picture. It should be easy for it to be moved back? It's not that big of a deal to be honest but just a little annoying.

Chris reckons there always play in the bezel but I don't think it's anything to do with the bezel?

https://i.ibb.co/8cvVnZ5/Screenshot-20201025-121842.png

Before it went in

https://i.ibb.co/YfVJK9r/00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200421185917372-COVER.jpg

It’s a 5 minute job, I’d defo get the insert re mounted, that’d annoy the heck out of me. Ruins the symmetry of a gorgeous watch. He had the insert off for polish and didn’t align it before glueing it back on. Sent him both pictures if you haven’t already.

It’s nothing to do with the bezel, there’s 60/120 notches milled into the base of it that can’t change relative to the spring underneath or the notches on the top

• Advertisement

david wrote: »
    It’s a 5 minute job, I’d defo get the insert re mounted, that’d annoy the heck out of me. Ruins the symmetry of a gorgeous watch. He had the insert off for polish and didn’t align it before glueing it back on. Sent him both pictures if you haven’t already.

It’s nothing to do with the bezel, there’s 60/120 notches milled into the base of it that can’t change relative to the spring underneath or the notches on the top
    Have already but he's not acknowledging the alignment..

Have already but he's not acknowledging the alignment..

can you put up a photo with the 12 o'clock pip to 12 o'clock like in the before, there is usually a little backlash on a SMP300 so put it in its most aligned position.

can you put up a photo with the 12 o'clock pip to 12 o'clock like in the before, there is usually a little backlash on a SMP300 so put it in its most aligned position.

Like this?

He's aligned it between two points instead of at a point on the bezel

PXL-20201025-134141635.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,804 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Jaysus that’s way off

Yep, thats a mile off, that wouldn't even escape the Seiko factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

He hasn’t even aligned it between two points - looks like it was arbitrarily mounted with no regard to positioning.

From the stock pics, it’s aligned with a point from factory.

david wrote: »
    He hasn’t even aligned it between two points - looks like it was arbitrarily mounted with no regard to positioning.

From the stock pics, it’s aligned with a point from factory.

Yep
    ga004-omega-2541-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Question for some people with a bit more experience than myself...

If one had an Omega watch but the the warranty card was never filled out, would I be correct in saying that it wouldn't be covered for any repairs under the 5 year Omega warranty?

Don't know if you have an answer to that or not. I would *think* that the answer is that as long as you can prove you are still within 5 years of purchasing the watch you shouldn't have an issue - i.e. credit card receipt etc.

If it's a warranty card from 20 years ago that's unfilled I think you're out of luck there - the filling in of the card is needed (in lieu of proof of purchase from AD/boutique) so they know when to start the clock on the warranty.

Oh and (random musings as a lawyer) - if the Omega model you're looking to have warranty work done is out less than 5 years then ipso facto it couldn't possibly have passed its 5 year warranty period - though Omega could always argue that you stole the watch if you don't have proof of purchase/filled in warranty card :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would I be mad to drop the idea of waiting for the call from an AD for a Rolex and going with a couple of 2nd hand Tudors instead?

I love the old style Pelagos and could pair that with a Black bay 41 58 with a red or blue bezel

I know I could buy the Rollie whenever the call comes and flip it for profit, but TBH I don't think I want the effort of waiting for the paper's and selling on.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Would I be mad to drop the idea of waiting for the call from an AD for a Rolex and going with a couple of 2nd hand Tudors instead?

I love the old style Pelagos and could pair that with a Black bay 41 with a red or blue bezel?

I know I could buy the Rollie whenever the call comes and flip it for profit, but TBH I don't think I want the effort of waiting for the paper's and selling on.

The BB41 is a thick watch, not many seem to keep them. Pelagos seems popular. There is a BB58 black on TZ at the moment for 2760 gbp which is retail on a watch that sells over retail, its basically new. I am impressed with tudor....but one is enough.

Advertisement