Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭893bet

banie01 wrote: »
    Would I be mad to drop the idea of waiting for the call from an AD for a Rolex and going with a couple of 2nd hand Tudors instead?

I love the old style Pelagos and could pair that with a Black bay 41 with a red or blue bezel?

I know I could buy the Rollie whenever the call comes and flip it for profit, but TBH I don't think I want the effort of waiting for the paper's and selling on.

What model are you waiting on?

Think it was just a sub? It’s seems like there is a lot of hysteria around the new subs and they are, at least being advertised (who knows if they are actually selling) at x 2 RRP on second market.

While this is the case then the AD is not going to call you. As close to zero chance. They have a que of other people that are spending more and will skip you every time.

When/if your names comes to the top of the list that means the hysteria as dosed down and they are below RRP on second market or at least very close to it.

I advise to buy what you like, and if that is Tudor second hand then you won’t take a bath at least if you move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    The BB41 is a thick watch, not many seem to keep them. Pelagos seems popular. There is a BB58 black on TZ at the moment for 2760 gbp which is retail on a watch that sells over retail, its basically new. I am impressed with tudor....but one is enough.

Thanks Fitz, chunky alright from the ones I've seen but they do seem to wear nicely.
    Height would still be a bit less than my U2, so wouldn't bother me and they do taper nicely to the lug.
    893bet wrote: »
    What model are you waiting on?

Think it was just a sub? It’s seems like there is a lot of hysteria around the new subs and they are, at least being advertised (who knows if they are actually selling) at x 2 RRP on second market.

Yep, just a no-date sub.
    Nothing spectacular and tbh, I don't know exactly "why" I want it?If that makes any sense at all?
    I don't know if I really like it, or if I just should really like it and that's what I "should" be buying.
    The strange moment you can't figure out if it's peer pressure :pac:
    But you kinda know it is, bit don't want to admit to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thanks Fitz, chunky alright from the ones I've seen but they do seem to wear nicely.
    Height would still be a bit less than my U2, so wouldn't bother me and they do taper nicely to the lug.

Well Banie the nice thing with a tudor is that you can go to your local dealer, and, get this, low and behold they will have one for you to try on. And if you like it you can buy it off them new, without a wait. And no need to perform and acts of degrading fellatio on the sales man or woman for the privilege of giving them your money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Banie I have a BB41 red on leather strap, lovely watch if maybe a smidgen too thick.

I don’t get the hype on the BB58, it’s a nice watch and all but can’t for the life of me understand the hype especially the blue one.

If you’ve your heart set on a sub that’s what you should buy if you can get one.
    If you can’t get it from an AD new there’s plenty out there if you go grey.

I have to ask is buying a couple of Tudors just scratching an itch that won’t go away unless you get the submariner(cos I’ve done that and regretted it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Well Banie the nice thing with a tudor is that you can go to your local dealer, and, get this, low and behold they will have one for you to try on. And if you like it you can buy it off them new, without a wait. And no need to perform and acts of degrading fellatio on the sales man or woman for the privilege of giving them your money either.

Interesting take on dealing with female Rolex salespersons, even if the terminology is a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Interesting take on dealing with female Rolex salespersons, even if the terminology is a bit dodgy.

Cunning linguist is our fitz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Would I be mad to drop the idea of waiting for the call from an AD for a Rolex

The call is not gonna come.

I'm on the list too, also for a nd sub. And pretty similar reasons as yourself for wanting one :o:p

I don't know if I really like it, or if I just should really like it and that's what I "should" be buying.
    The strange moment you can't figure out if it's peer pressure :pac:
    But you kinda know it is, bit don't want to admit to yourself.

When I was on my sabbatical from boards, I spent a good bit of time wondering the same thing.

Rolex watches are really nice, I have had a few and they were all super nice. What I dont like is the fact you cant buy one, and the ever increasing grey market prices are moving the average Rolex into a price bracket where it cannot compete.

Do I want a new sub or Cyrus's perpetual JLC?. Nobody gives a fcuk about my watches anyway and I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has commented on a watch I was wearing so from now on I will get the watches I want (not a sh1tter licence). I get the impression the entire industry is getting off the Rolex train. Youtubers are reviewing less and less rolex (cause nothing is new and nothing is available) and retailers are pushing watches they can actually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nobody gives a fcuk about my watches anyway and I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has commented on a watch I was wearing so from now on I will get the watches I want

It's crazy that you wouldn't do this in the first place. Who gives a shít what someone else thinks?

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's crazy that you wouldn't do this in the first place. Who gives a shít what someone else thinks?

We all care what other people think to some extent, to say otherwise would be a lie, but buying a expensive watch is a combination of factors and to deny or exaggerate any one factor leads to bad decisions. Lots of collectors always want watches that nobody else likes or wants, they are wacky you understand, mavericks, not sheeple. They generally have tragic collections of crap.
    I am still heavily invested in Rolex but I doubt I will buy any more, i have the ones i want. I think if our little fantasy watch competition shows anything its that people have lost interest in rolex. I have anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Would the waiting list for a yachtmaster 40 be as crazy as the normal steel ones or is it something you could actually get without having to buy a Calatrava?

Its kind of academic for me in that even though I can afford it easily enough, I find it hard to justify spending so much on a watch that I know is a better asset probably than the cash. I just have a mental block, lack of confidence in going for it I guess. I know my caution doesn't really make sense when it's a rolex.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    Who gives a shít what someone else thinks?
    In reality CC vanishingly few work that way. We're a social animal and social animals thrive on all sorts of validation and that's not a negative that it's often seen to be - by hippies up in Tibet humming OOOOOOOMMMMM :D - for the most part.

On the watch front I don't particularly care what people might think, however that's because I got into them at a time when nobody gave them much if any attention anyway, they were mostly cheap as chips and it was my little weirdo nerdy hobby(among many), so am coming from a very different angle. I would bet if I got into them in the mid noughties as it went more mainstream as a thing I would likely have a very different take on things. For a start I'd be influenced by social media and the web in general.

Plus I am actually weird as far as social competition(for the real want of a better term) goes. Never got into that even when I was in my teens. I always thought it a zero sum game. As Fitz notes nobody gives a flying about someone's watch anyway. Normal people aren't like that for the most part and do quite naturally care how they're perceived. This is a good thing IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

redlead wrote: »
    Would the waiting list for a yachtmaster 40 be as crazy as the normal steel ones or is it something you could actually get without having to buy a Calatrava?

Its kind of academic for me in that even though I can afford it easily enough, I find it hard to justify spending so much on a watch that I know is a better asset probably than the cash. I just have a mental block, lack of confidence in going for it I guess. I know my caution doesn't really make sense when it's a rolex.

The wait on a stainless YM is long enough, epically with the blue dial. Say a two tone in weirs the other day, I would suggest that Two tone will make a resurgence as its all people can get their hands on. Plenty of grey market and second hand ones out there for nearly reasonable money close to retail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lots of collectors always want watches that nobody else likes or wants, they are wacky you understand, mavericks, not sheeple. They generally have tragic collections of crap.
    Or they quite simply have different tastes and different reasons for collecting F. And that's cool too.

I knew a guy into cheap plastic 80's Swatch watches, particularly the extremely rare ones. He had a Picasso dial one, original packaging and all that, which at the time was worth over 10k. His collection was insured for four times that. Not my bag at all, but it gave him pleasure. Another guy I knew from the early interwebs initially was into early and unusual digitals. I suppose because when he was a kid they were a big thing that he couldn't afford at the time. Like many collectors of anything. And he had some scarily rare ones, all functional too. A red LED calculator example that was the size of a small house :) really stood out. Funny enough that tiny niche in the hobby never went mad money, but values have remained constantly rising bit by bit for over 20 years. Sometimes niche areas go mental too. Military watches were "What? Really?" for the most part until about the mid noughties when they were cool hunted for wider audiences.

And on the actual horology front it's the niche more oddball collectors that often inform the discipline with new data on the history of brands, models and changing tech. Look at the chap from Pride and Pinion channel. He's an expert on current stuff(I presume? My knowledge is scant to say the least), but his knowledge of the actual history of horology appears to be minimal going on some of the stuff he says, yet his offerings are not considered tragic collections of crap. Different strokes an' that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Rolex watches are really nice, I have had a few and they were all super nice. What I dont like is the fact you cant buy one, and the ever increasing grey market prices are moving the average Rolex into a price bracket where it cannot compete.

Do I want a new sub or Cyrus's perpetual JLC?. Nobody gives a fcuk about my watches anyway and I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has commented on a watch I was wearing so from now on I will get the watches I want (not a sh1tter licence). I get the impression the entire industry is getting off the Rolex train. Youtubers are reviewing less and less rolex (cause nothing is new and nothing is available) and retailers are pushing watches they can actually sell.

If Rolex are coming up against VC Overseas or say a Breguet XX chrono (or the Overseas Chrono) I certainly know which one I'd prefer :)

But hey that's the free market and people are free to buy whatever they want - if Rolex ends up with too high a price people will switch to alternatives until the price comes back down (unless it's a tulip bubble in which it will burst at some point).

I think anyone that collects with focus, patience and direction is doing well, whatever it is they collect. With watches the phrase "buy what you like" is usually used by dealers and shills to clear the window of undesirable dogs. I have gone through the phase of "buying what I like" which when your an immature collector is a dangerous idea. I ended up with full boxes full of crap.

Buy what you like is fine but only once you have learned and experienced whats to like. The urban gentry types of this world would have you buy what you can afford and what is easy to get. Maybe that is why people seek refuge in Rolex, everyone likes it, its easy to sell, always desirable and takes no risks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think anyone that collects with focus, patience and direction is doing well, whatever it is they collect. With watches the phrase "buy what you like" is usually used by dealers and shills to clear the window of undesirable dogs. I have gone through the phase of "buying what I like" which when your an immature collector is a dangerous idea. I ended up with full boxes full of crap.

Buy what you like is fine but only once you have learned and experienced whats to like. The urban gentry types of this world would have you buy what you can afford and what is easy to get. Maybe that is why people seek refuge in Rolex, everyone likes it, its easy to sell, always desirable and takes no risks.

Any advice for this guy who collects chainsaws?

https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119031352_1794409817377635_337523651277743958_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=hhOqn9TF0uMAX9n_vdg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1684e0a68588504a3db2fa5a1308b54d&oe=5FBC780C

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't try to burgle his house?

pulp_fiction3590.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or they quite simply have different tastes and different reasons for collecting F. And that's cool too.

Absolutely - bit weird to say otherwise. You might take a hit on resale, but that might not really matter to some.

Didn't we have a forum regular a few years ago who was into left field stuff - think he had pieces like a Devon Tread. May not be mainstream, but still cool IMO.
    Wibbs wrote:
    We're a social animal and social animals thrive on all sorts of validation and that's not a negative that it's often seen to be

This is true, but I think for the most part, the watch crowd is quite different in Ireland. You'll likely get far more comments about a quartz Tag F1 than some of the far more high end pieces here that'd get recognised in an instant elsewhere. And I like that - I buy my watches for me, even if they are sometimes well known brands/pieces outside of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I think it's a bit presumptuous to say people who buy watches that they like as ending up with crap. I think the whole point of a watch is wearing something that you enjoy. Although, if you buy something that might go down 10% over 2 years that might be all you can think of when you look at it, so that might be part of the enjoyment factor, so more than the aesthetics of the watch.

Eoin wrote: »
    You'll likely get far more comments about a quartz Tag F1 than some of the far more high end pieces here that'd get recognised in an instant elsewhere.

Wore a quartz tag for years, still have it, never got a single comment. At least with a Rolex you get a comment in a jewellers or from those in the know. Tags are mostly undesirable bar a few Monaco's. I would comment on a persons watch, but I wouldn't on a tag. Mostly because I would assume that person is not really into watches and it would lead to a awkward conversation.

Somebody crosses my path with a nice Navitimer I will say " Hey nice Navitimer thats cool" and I am almost guaranteed they will appreciate the comment at the least and may spark a conversation at best. This is me a tag owner saying this. If you have a tag and you love it, that great. I am happy for you. But they aint the greatest watches in the world even in their own price bracket.

Obligatory arty photo :
    IMG-0023.jpg
    Eoin wrote: »
    Absolutely - bit weird to say otherwise

I never did say otherwise, the discussion is in the nuance (and outrage is the destroyer of nuance), and started with Banie musing on weather he wanted a Rolex for the watch or because everyone wanted one. I commented that other people generally are not interested in watches so I personally was not buying any more Rolex cause I found other quality watches more interesting. Ciancieno though it was odd I would consider other people impressions of my watch at all. I commented that the wearing of jewellery is inherently a social game and that this concept of "buy what you like" is a dangerous one in watch collecting and gets immature collectors into a lot of troulbe (not just financially, but in having collections that have nothing of quality). By all mean buy what you like, but my advice is try to pick watches that at least some other people generally like too. There is a reason collectors gravitate towards similar watches, and I would never be so presumptious to assume that my personal taste knows better.

That Devon trend is "interesting" but for 20k I think you would want rocks in your head, ugly as hell IMHO. There is a tendency in watch circles for a sort of disingenuous withering positivity to creep in. Its a hobby of art and craftmanship appreciation, we are allowed to have opinions on what is good and what is bad, thats the fun of it. To somehow have the opinion that there are no bad, ugly, poor value, badly made or overpriced watches because the purchaser "is buying what he likes" is the epitome of the participation award generation.

I commented that the wearing of jewellery is inherently a social game and that this concept of "buy what you like" is a dangerous one in watch collecting.
    Oh I would agree if one wears a watch as jewellery and playing that social game as the primary thing. For many in the hobby and collectors it's not. Though I have found online and off those two positions can find it hard to understand one another and there's little overlap. Like I mentioned earlier I can think of very few watch nutz who straddled both camps. And then there's the broad gulf between new and vintage guys and rarely does that twain meet.

For the vast majority of people during the 20th century and even today a watch was a (usually)one off practical item and jewellery often bought to mark a milestone in life. Hence why for the most part stainless steel models were much rarer as people went for gold or gold plated to reflect that(issued military watches being the outlier here). The watches as jewellery folks are simply continuing that tradition. That goes just as much for the 200 quid fashion watches as the 20k examples from the luxury brands. Though for watch nuts there's generally more expertise, argument, flipping and more watches going on. :D

The above changed or at least was added to with collecting itself becoming a bigger thing, driven by the interwebs. Then you saw the collecting guys, usually with a focus, who had been a tiny minority of weirdos, come into the game in numbers.

As for comments from jewellers: I was in a very well known Dublin establishment where one of the senior sales guys asked me if a Trench watch I was wearing was automatic or quartz... :D

Wibbs I think it goes without saying that when I comment on watches I am not commenting about the more unique type of collector, but the more mainstream watch collector (of which I am one and you are not). You are the exception that proves the rules. :D I honestly know nothing about vintage watches and espically the vintage you like. I could easily get caught asking a stupid question about it too, but at least it shows an interest.

Wibbs I think it goes without saying that when I comment on watches I am not commenting about the more unique type of collector, but the more mainstream watch collector. You are the exception that proves the rules. :D
    :eek::D Well kinda. IMH there would be two very general engaged collector types; the new/current guys and the vintage guys. Both pretty mainstream these days and the mindset is quite different. The vintage types are much less about the fashion/social cache(maybe among themselves) angle and the collecting focus is a lot wider. Well they have a hundred years of all sorts to choose from which kinda helps. :D So it's a much broader church anyway. They're rarely flippers too. Well they tend to be hoarders as a breed. Like one chap on another forum that has something like 12 issued Rolex Milsubs. Lovely bloke too, but many in the new/current side might think him mad. :D

The exceptions to that would be the really high end trust/hedge fund types throwing the GDP of a small nation at auctions of Pateks made from rose unobtainium with a unicorn horn dial, only to see the same example show up in six months time at another auction, but they'd be a very rare breed indeed.

Down the years I've generally hung out on vintage focused forums because I preferred the vibes in general. On the mil watch forum I've seen the regulars have just as much of a genuine "oh nice one, you jammy bastid!" over a rare Vietnam issued piece made from plastic as they do over a French issued Breguet type XX. That and I prefer the history, both personal and horological attached to all that. A new[insert any brand here] doesn't have that to nearly the same degree for me, so I generally find them less interesting, unless they're an unusual not so safe choice, or they're a personal milestone piece for someone.

:eek::D Well kinda. IMH there would be two very general engaged collector types; the new/current guys and the vintage guys. Both pretty mainstream these days and the mindset is quite different. The vintage types are much less about the fashion/social cache(maybe among themselves) angle and the collecting focus is a lot wider. Well they have a hundred years of all sorts to choose from which kinda helps. :D So it's a much broader church anyway. They're rarely flippers too. Well they tend to be hoarders as a breed. Like one chap on another forum that has something like 12 issued Rolex Milsubs. Lovely bloke too, but many in the new/current side might think him mad. :D

The exceptions to that would be the really high end trust/hedge fund types throwing the GDP of a small nation at auctions of Pateks made from rose unobtainium with a unicorn horn dial, only to see the same example show up in six months time at another auction, but they'd be a very rare breed indeed.

Down the years I've generally hung out on vintage focused forums because I preferred the vibes in general. On the mil watch forum I've seen the regulars have just as much of a genuine "oh nice one, you jammy bastid!" over a rare Vietnam issued piece made from plastic as they do over a French issued Breguet type XX. That and I prefer the history, both personal and horological attached to all that. A new[insert any brand here] doesn't have that to nearly the same degree for me, so I generally find them less interesting, unless they're an unusual not so safe choice, or they're a personal milestone piece for someone.

I have tried a few vintage rolex forums and cant say the vibe was relaxed. There is huge knowledge asymmetry and the cost of entry is very high. Those vintage type were very cost/investment and social cache focused. Also some of the speedmaster collectors are totally militant and will eat you alive for suggesting one model that looks identical to another. I appreciate that they have the experiance and would put some stock in their opinions. When you playing with large amounts of cash you dont want to make rookie mistakes that only later turn out to leave me dissatisfied with my decisions. If I were to buy a vintage watch I would lean on your experiance in the area as I dont know what to look for, whats good, whats interesting and whats not.

Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one, but when a expert tells you that yours skinks you either listen, or go around will a smelly ass.:D

I have tried a few vintage rolex forums and cant say the vibe was relaxed.
    The clue is to be found in the title sad to say F. If it's got a more US focused membership, double that. Their aspirational culture tends to make them love to spout how much they've been ripped off. :D It's also not helped by Rolex themselves as until recently they'd "destroy" a watch in vintage terms with service parts sometimes to the point where Trigger's broom was in play and they have never been helpful when it came to their vintage owners and won't confirm or deny anything. Add in soaring values and the huge number of franken fakery that follows even the vintage end(I'm no 60's Rolex expert by any measure but I'd reckon at least a third of dealer vintage Rollies are "wrong"). So I'm not so surprised there's a lack of relaxation there.
    If I were to buy a vintage watch I would lean on your experiance in the area as I dont know what to look for, whats good, whats interesting and whats not.
    Hmmm. For yourself I'd actually reckon a 70's Omega Seamaster of some nature. Has the name and cache, robust watch, properly serviced just as good as new(and no issue with spares), decent "modern" size for the most part, not silly money to get into and you'll get your money back getting out.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one, but when a expert tells you that yours skinks you either listen, or go around will a smelly ass.:D
    On watch experts on the interwebs I prefer if one person tells you you smell, ignore them, if ten do, buy soap. :D

On watch experts on the interwebs I prefer if one person tells you you smell, ignore them, if ten do, buy soap. :D

Hey maybe I like having a smelly ass, I dont care what the consensus is :D Who are they to say the bang of crap is wrong, it makes me happy, we all love the smell of our own after all. I am in a smelly ass facebook group and we all agree there is nothing wrong with it, infact those suckers washing, and bathing and wiping are just chasing some social norm driven by expectation. Its actually healthy to let the bacteria breath on the cheeks. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

What do ye make of the 1963 Seagull reissues? I think they're absolutely gorgeous but would have to do an international order to get one so couldn't see it first.

Is it the type of thing that looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt? Is the quality consistent if you get a legit one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is it the type of thing that looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt?

Every watch looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt :cool:

Thinking back now and I have only worn a suit & tie at weddings and funerals in the last decade or so. Formal really is an outdated look. My normal costume is jeans / t or a nice shirt if dressing up.

Advertisement