Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Its not when they are running around that worries me... but sat on a busy bus for 30 mins.

Hah, yes, and I do agree with you in relation to public transport. Not so much about some other scenarios though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

wadacrack wrote: »
    While In Ireland we have players playing GAA finals with Covid.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1316082940468756481

Zero false positives out of 5 million while on our national football team there have been at least 3 false positives in a week.

Hard to believe the china numbers unless they have some kind of special test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Inquitus wrote: »
    We don't subscribe to the 5G causes Covid conspiracy theory either, this is on a par with that. Trump wants to blame China and Bannon finds a patsy to write the requisite paper, which is then torn to shreds by all reputable virologists.

Well, it didn't come from Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Dr Li Meng fled to the US where she presumably had no money. Trump took her in so presumably that's why she's with Bannon.
    If you expect a PhD virologist from Hong Kong to understand the difference between two politiical parties who are virtually the same but disagree over abortion.....
    My point is it's awful that she ended up with Bannon, that no media of note would work with her. Her mother has been arrested and her work reads well to a non expert like me. Others like Dr Gupta have been similarly sidelined.
    We're meant to be a democracy..... How is it democracy if Dr Li Meng is not given a voice?

The right to speak does not come with the right to be given a voice... or listened to.
    It does come with the right not to be imprisoned for speaking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hah, yes, and I do agree with you in relation to public transport. Not so much about some other scenarios though.

Popping into a shop maskless for 5 minutes isn't a huge risk to you. But having to work there for 8 hours with hundreds of people popping in is a big risk to staff if people aren't wearing masks.

• Advertisement

Zero false positives out of 5 million while on our national football team there have been at least 3 false positives in a week.

They use pool testing, so if a positive occurs individual testing will suss out fairly quickly if there has been a false positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Popping into a shop maskless for 5 minutes isn't a huge risk to you. But having to work there for 8 hours with hundreds of people popping in is a big risk to staff if people aren't wearing masks.

Well there is the question I guess. Do we have figures for staff of shops getting it over other professions? I recall during the good months, that the supermarkets produced very low and insignificant figures for coronavirus, despite nobody wearing masks. And there were a decent amount of people still shopping in supermarkets back then. If as you say it's a "big" risk, it didn't seem to be then. Hence, perhaps the bigger risk is people in close contact for long periods (as they've said since day dot) - rather than perhaps working in an area of a shop without being on top of other staff.

I'd equally, for the same reason, like to know if there is a bigger proportion of pub/restaurant staff getting it when they were open, they being there all day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's a good point. Hard to believe China's numbers. Someone said that FAI uses a different kind of test which is must more inaccurate. I don't know enough about either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭gipi

I read somewhere (Irish Times, I think) that China doesn't include asymptomatic cases in their CV positive totals....sure if we all did that, we'd be at level 1!

Well there is the question I guess. Do we have figures for staff of shops getting it over other professions? I recall during the good months, that the supermarkets produced very low and insignificant figures for coronavirus, despite nobody wearing masks. And there were a decent amount of people still shopping in supermarkets back then. If as you say it's a "big" risk, it didn't seem to be then. Hence, perhaps the bigger risk is people in close contact for long periods (as they've said since day dot) - rather than perhaps working in an area of a shop without being on top of other staff.

That is true and supermarket staff weren't getting infected in big numbers. But supermarkets do tend to be airy and have high ceilings with decent ventilation from automatic doors. I'd be more concerned about smaller shops, particularly in shopping centres with limited airflow. Much more potential for particles to linger.

Not to mention people were being ridiculously careful in supermarkets in April and May as for many it was the only trip out of the house for them. Lots of places are more relaxed now, some people don't seem to using hand sanitizer even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd equally, for the same reason, like to know if there is a bigger proportion of pub/restaurant staff getting it when they were open, they being there all day too.

The biggest risk for Supermarket workers and other retail workers currently is catching it off other members of staff in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Local garage here wore masks all the time from the beginning of lockdowns. They switched to visors recently. In there today and deli is closed due to a staff member testing positive. Visors are a waste of time if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Poorside wrote: »
    At the start people thought they were effective, the fact that's been proven wrong has yet to get into the general publics mindset.

At the start the scientists and the medics told us that masks were pretty much useless unless they were medical grade masks with proper filters. They claimed that masks constantly being touched and being put on and taken off at regular intervals could actually increase the risk of infection. They also claimed that masks can induce a false sense of security.
    If you watch people going in and out of shops, they pull a mask from a pocket or handbag, put in on and go the shop and then take it off as soon as they come out and stuff it back wherever they got it from. I presume they repeat the process when they go into another shop or get on a bus.
    If masks are not virtually airtight around the edges they ‘leak’ a substantial proportion of exhaled air. I know this because I wear glasses and they fog up when I wear a mask.
    I have come to the conclusion that the ‘experts’ were probably right about masks the first time.............virtually useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

Just slightly related to that, and apologies if it’s been covered elsewhere (I’m sure it probably has), but what is the reality with the “15 minutes for a close contact” thing ? I know that’s the definition used to define a contact, I’m just curious as to what realistic level of contact becomes risky ? There’s probably no answer, I realise that, I’m just wondering where the line is between really low risk i.e. just walking past someone, and getting to the point where you really need to step back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Roger_007 wrote: »
    At the start the scientists and the medics told us that masks were pretty much useless unless they were medical grade masks with proper filters. They claimed that masks constantly being touched and being put on and taken off at regular intervals could actually increase the risk of infection. They also claimed that masks can induce a false sense of security.
    If you watch people going in and out of shops, they pull a mask from a pocket or handbag, put in on and go the shop and then take it off as soon as they come out and stuff it back wherever they got it from. I presume they repeat the process when they go into another shop or get on a bus.
    If masks are not virtually airtight around the edges they ‘leak’ a substantial proportion of exhaled air. I know this because I wear glasses and they fog up when I wear a mask.
    I have come to the conclusion that the ‘experts’ were probably right about masks the first time.............virtually useless.

coronavirus is mainly spread through droplets. masks catch a good amount of those droplets.

it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I see a lot of those visor things on staff rather than face masks, they are completely useless.

Visors shield you from others surely?

froog wrote: »
    coronavirus is mainly spread through droplets. masks catch a good amount of those droplets.

it's not rocket science.

How could you possibly know that it is mainly spread through droplets?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gael23 wrote: »

No. Its been said time and time again and studies have shown they are near to useless

How could you possibly know that it is mainly spread through droplets?

i don't. scientists do.

Gael23 wrote: »

Not really, droplets and aerosols tend to move around the great big gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

gipi wrote: »
    I read somewhere (Irish Times, I think) that China doesn't include asymptomatic cases in their CV positive totals....sure if we all did that, we'd be at level 1!

That makes NO sense. Why test so many million to catch one cluster, if your going to disregard the asymptomatics?

It makes me very uneasy. China knew WAY more about this bug in March and we took no notice. Even now, they are unwilling to let this bug get even a foothold.

Testing a city of 5 million for one cluster?
    They've never done that for the 'flu'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

it's not rocket science.

It would be rocket science if my sneezes were factored in.

i don't. scientists do.

Different scientists have different opinions..........probably because none of them actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    That makes NO sense. Why test so many million to catch one cluster, if your going to disregard the asymptomatics?

It makes me very uneasy. China knew WAY more about this bug in March and we took no notice. Even now, they are unwilling to let this bug get even a foothold.

I think its 5m tested so far from a city of 9m. Im open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Different scientists have different opinions..........probably because none of them actually know.

To know for sure would require unethical experiments.

The weight of evidence and scientific authorities back masks as barriers to contain droplets from an infected person.

Mask use as PPE by the general public which is what we were advised against in March is a different question.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Any thoughts on the situation in Clare?

My parents are there so I would like to prepare as best as possible.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Right now they are showing their people that "communism" is the best system for dealing with collective challenges like a pandemic.

This provides a nice contrast for them when a freedom loving country like the US is struggling. There is more at play than just concerns about the virus.

yeah you're right, **** science! what did science ever do for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Maestro85 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the situation in Clare?

My parents are there so I would like to prepare as best as possible.

I'm in clare, its not good down here. People dead on the roads everywhere, pubs closed and not a toilet roll to be found. What exactly do you want to be prepared for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

@mloc it was no party dinner. It was a Inter County team having a bite to eat after a match which is allowed. Guards were called out because some curtain tichers took to social media and wrongfully thought guidelines was abused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement