Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Sounds pretty bad over in Clare, media is not reporting what’s really going on. I read that there are bodies lying all over the roads and food shortages have led to cannibalism.

Don’t worry, that pretty much normal for Clare.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arghus wrote: »
    I've never seen a man's quotes so completely misinterpreted as Dr. Nabarro's have been in this thread.

He's saying that lockdown's should not be your primary measure used to control the virus. Which is exactly right. Tony Holohan agreed with him 100% on this in the press briefing about this when asked directly about these quotes.

His point is you must exhaust other options first or invest in a proper infrastructure to keep outbreaks under control and that there also has to be buy in from the public to try to make measures work.

We have tried this. We've had months of eased restrictions, a testing and trace system - a huge logistical operation - has been built from scratch basically inside 6 months and the government and health authorities have tried, incessently, to get people to buy into why we're actually doing this. You can critique the results achieved of a lot of this, but there's no doubt that effort has been made to avoid another lockdown. There's been a lot of things tried, with admittedly varying results, before lockdown has been considered. Lockdown hasn't been used as the immediate first response.

Dr. Nabarro also said, in the same interview, that there is a place for lockdown. He wasn't claiming that they should never ever be used. He specifically said they should be used when you need to reorganise and regroup, which is basically where we are at the moment. We're perilously close of completely losing control of the outbreak, if we're not already there. Okay, lockdown shouldn't be your first option but there is a point where it has to be considered if there's no other option and consideration aside from just brutally getting the numbers under control. There's no contradiction in believing that lockdowns should be avoided as far as possible and all other potential measures considered first, but also recognising that there is, sadly, a point where they become necessary.

Good post, lot of good points, its just that the first thing Tony proposed when he came back, actually before he was even due to start was a full level 5 lock down. Not level 3 or 4 but straight to full lock down with everyone restricted to 2km from their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We, with the help of the EU, should offer to give money to Stormont to help, on the condition they agree to a cross-island approach. No more time for divisions and waiting for UK to provide direction.

I think that's a good idea but would only work if we enrolled Bill Gates as supreme leader for a period of no more than 2 years. Kinda like that fella George Mitchell. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

maebee wrote: »
    I drove past 3 schools today, at home time for them. All were thronged with parents/minders/collectors, all in groups, with no social distancing and very few were wearing masks.

Hopefully one of the things we can keep after this is all over is people taking notes on the apparent misdeeds of others. It's such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Give me a shout when the DUP stop screaming after reading that.

Well desperate times call for desperate measures and Covid is surely one of them.

If the DUP won't play ball, they are going to be blamed big time. SF is no better though, and BTW it is a totally failed part of the UK anyway.

Sad to see this in times of trouble, they have to put out the begging bowl to Westminster for funding.

And there is so much cross border travel..... we are doomed I tell ya. But hopefully not. Who would wish this on anyone.

There was no problem from big Ian during the foot and mouth though, was there? Mad that people are not valued that much now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Less of the clare jokes, we are all lovely people down here. Its the limerick crowd crossing the border that infected us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think that's a good idea but would only work if we let Bill Gates as supreme leader for a period of no more than 2 years. Kinda like that fella George Mitchell. :pac:

Oh God, the 5G conspiracy theorists would have a field day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

niallo27 wrote: »
    Less of the clare jokes, we are all lovely people down here. Its the limerick crowd crossing the border that infected us.

Beastieality.
    All after the same sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Hopefully one of the things we can keep after this is all over is people taking notes on the apparent misdeeds of others. It's such fun.

I think it’s more a mark of how compliance was initially very good that those who don’t simply stand out more.
    Nine months ago someone wearing a mask in a shop stood out a mile, now someone not wearing one stands out. It’s just human nature to notice and comment.

Good post, lot of good points, its just that the first thing Tony proposed when he came back, actually before he was even due to start was a full level 5 lock down. Not level 3 or 4 but straight to full lock down with everyone restricted to 2km from their houses.

The best time to use lockdown is before it is obviously necessary, if you leave it too late the lockdown has to be harsher and longer. Our one in March was at least 2 weeks too late, UK ended up a month behind the curve.

One of the reasons much of Eastern Europe were spared the worst of it in March/April was because they went early with restrictions.

Israel resisted the obvious for too long during their second surge, look at their current death numbers and hospital numbers now.

• Advertisement

Known as the spinal tap approach...

529191.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Covfefe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Am I correct in remembering that the Orange Order bought protective gear for the whole island back during the first surge? Or maybe I had a fever at the time and was hallucinating.

Seamai wrote: »
    Am I correct in remembering that the Orange Order bought protective gear for the whole island back during the first surge? Or maybe I had a fever at the time and was hallucinating.

No that was William of orange brought ppe for his crowd in Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Are things bad in West Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That is real life, we ALL see it every day. Thousands of kids leaving their homes, getting to school, mingling, no masks, all day.

I empathise with the teachers and the parents/family members. That is just common sense.

And it is a vector, I don't care what anyone says. But that is being suppressed big time.

Are things bad in West Clare?

You would think sparser areas would be not that bad but look at Cavan/Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Yes this new pastime really makes me want to move back to Ireland. So many seem to be enjoying it

Schools closing in the north it looks like. Biting the bullet.

We are keeping them open no matter what in keeping with Michael Martin's hill to die on strategy.

Which incidentally is right out of the Stormont playbook of politics.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1316113032083394565?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That is real life, we ALL see it every day. Thousands of kids leaving their homes, getting to school, mingling, no masks, all day.

I empathise with the teachers and the parents/family members. That is just common sense.

And it is a vector, I don't care what anyone says. But that is being suppressed big time.

Of course it is. And its not the only thing.

Do you think in a situation like this any government is telling the people the whole truth about everything?

I'm critical but I'm not a CT guy. I dont mean this in a CT way. But does anyone think we're not being given a message rather than the truth? I'm not saying the message is not true but surely a certain picture is being painted. Some truths on the front page every day other truths in the small print. That kind of way.

If the govt were serious about an all island strategy we'd be following suit.

Yes we can follow what the north does. But they cannot be seen to follow what the republic does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

It's not fun at all and it was not my intention to "take notes". My intention was to express my disbelief that crowds were gathered metres from classrooms where there were certified positive cases in the preceding 24 hours. I was only driving past and felt the need to have my car windows closed. Maybe I'm paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Their infection rate is 3 times ours. It's a pity they didn't follow our approach and shut the pubs a couple of weeks ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We are keeping them open no matter what in keeping with Michael Martin's hill to die on strategy.

Are pubs still open up there?

Like proper open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Stheno wrote: »
    Are pubs still open up there?

Like proper open?

Yes

It actually takes longer down here to make a decision in Stormont even though they don't have a functioning government.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it being done but it'll take a bit longer.
    Usually goes like that here.
    • NPHET meet --->
    • Give Gov a recommendation --->
    • Leo leaks it and says he's against it -->
    • MM can't act on it as he'd be the bad guy -->
    • We wait 2 weeks --->
    • It gets worse ---->
    • Then they panic and implement a 3.5 version --->
    • Wait another two weeks while it get's worse and then
    • Repeat.

Leaderships sans accountability.

Remember, any questions on decisions answer, "The virus is responsible".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I've got a radical theory: The government can't afford to shut down the schools. If they close again, the notion of teachers taking a necessary paycut would lead to the unions throwing the toys out and holding a national ransom. Imagine getting a full salary for months of idleness. No, me neither. I had to bite the bullet like hundreds of thousands of others and sign on. Some public servants are just untouchable.

It's a tad like nobody worrying about covid when there's a BLM march. It's politically incorrect to complain about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gods Gift wrote: »
    No that was William of orange brought ppe for his crowd in Slane.

Robbie Williams headlining Slane again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement