Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I left out cork but this is roughly where we are nationally with the surveys
    broadband.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I left out cork but this is roughly where we are nationally with the surveys

Is this from NBI announcements or from users in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

No Cavan or Roscommon on there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Pique wrote: »
    No Cavan or Roscommon on there either.

........ don’t think Limerick or Kerry are covered?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Is this from NBI announcements or from users in this thread?

I was taking all the townlands that NBI were posting on facebook, if someone had a full list of them I could create a full map and also create a google maps version that we could all contribute too and update

just done it in my spare time give me a break :P

• Advertisement

Here now everything i could see on the website minus cork as i cant see what townlands are being surveyed there

broadband.png

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Thanks fergus1001. Posting this link also incase it helps.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NationalBroadbandIreland/posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I was taking all the townlands that NBI were posting on facebook, if someone had a full list of them I could create a full map and also create a google maps version that we could all contribute too and update

I was just curious where the data was from, soz :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭clohamon

I collected the data from various sources for a while - file below (change extension to .csv)

I stopped because I suspect the information from NBI is incomplete. As an alternative crowd sourcing worked quite well for the Eircom VDSL roll-out.
    As you probably know google maps has is a limit of 2k features per layer (max ten layers) unless you want to start paying them.

https://www.google.com/earth/outreach/learn/visualize-your-data-on-a-custom-map-using-google-my-maps/

No offense meant Fergus but you're still missing the Roscommon ones.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/04/29/survey-to-start-for-broadband-roll-out/
    "Ballymurray, Athleague, Castlecoote, Donamon, Ballymacurley, Lackan, Kilroosky, Fourmilehouse"

The Roscommon Co Co website also mentions Cornaveigh and Termonbarry to start at the beginning of Sept but I don't see that on the NBI site.

To be honest it shouldn't be down to a Boardsie member to be doing this. The NBI social media team should be doing it.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote:
    As you probably know google maps has is a limit of 2k features per layer (max ten layers) unless you want to start paying them.

yeah I realised that after I posted, i tried it on google earth and it nearly had a heart attack

I'll add the town lands listed above so we can see roughly where we are nationally

i also got a list of town lands for cork

"The areas that have been surveyed in Cork are Ringaskiddy, Crosshaven, Monees, Ballygarvan, Filemilebridge, Ballyfeard, Pennies, Passage West, Ballinacura, Knockgriffin,
    Carrigtohill, Cloyne, Lisgoold, Loughaderra, Ballinascartha, Ballycotton, Cobh, Castlemartyr, Whitegate and Garyvoe."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pique wrote: »
    No offense meant Fergus but you're still missing the Roscommon ones.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/04/29/survey-to-start-for-broadband-roll-out/
    "Ballymurray, Athleague, Castlecoote, Donamon, Ballymacurley, Lackan, Kilroosky, Fourmilehouse"

The Roscommon Co Co website also mentions Cornaveigh and Termonbarry to start at the beginning of Sept but I don't see that on the NBI site.

To be honest it shouldn't be down to a Boardsie member to be doing this. The NBI social media team should be doing it.

I don't think that's the point . It's a hobby I presume more power to folks who do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

We can confirm from your Eircode that the premises is within the Intervention Area (Amber Area) and will be provided with fibre broadband. I do not have a date just yet for when we will be surveying Donegal

great ( to be fair the response on facebook was pretty quick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

listermint wrote: »
    I don't think that's the point . It's a hobby I presume more power to folks who do
    And, this sort of thing is a Boards tradition......

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I know there are some places missing off the map but I don't see how they can have it done in 7 years

Gary kk wrote:
    I know there are some places missing off the map but I don't see how they can have it done in 7 years

I have requested GIS shapefiles for the intervention areas so we will have a better picture once I have that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In today's SBP - "Ditching Vat cuts National Broadband plan costs by €300m"
    Some €300 million Chad been shaved off the €3 billion cost of the National Broadband scheme after Revenue ruled that Vat shouldn't apply to most of the subsidies the state is paying for its roll out ...

The state's investment was capped at €2.97 billion, which included €354 million to cover Vat and a contingency fund of €480 million.

The Business Post has now learned that the Revenue Commissioners recently ruled that Vat should not apply to most of the subsidy payments the state is making to National Broadband Ireland.

"It is likely to reduce the estimated Vat element of the overall project cost by up to €300 million," a spokeswoman for the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications said.

While the savings have been welcomed in government circles, insiders have pointed out that the Vat paid out by the department would eventually have been recouped by the exchequer once it was collected.

https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/ditching-vat-cuts-national-broadband-plan-cost-by-300m-807bd416

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭clohamon

I have requested GIS shapefiles for the intervention areas so we will have a better picture once I have that

Be sure and ask also for a listing of the unique OSi townland codes along with the numbers of amber, blue and, light blue premises associated with each code.

You'll still have to get the relevant codes from NBI to match them up.

The reason is that there's an awful lot of duplication. About 3,700 townlands have duplicates within the same county; e.g., there are 12 Ballynoe townlands in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

The Cush wrote: »
    In today's SBP - "Ditching Vat cuts National Broadband plan costs by €300m"

The VAT was always a pointless cost to have been included in this from the outset. I'm really not sure why it was ever included as all it did was artificially inflate the price.

Jim

clohamon wrote:
    You'll still have to get the relevant codes from NBI to match them up.

thanks for the tip, I was aware of duplication, Newtown in tip has 13 matches !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

We were surveyed back in April but the NBI website still shows us as pending survey. A few minutes a ago a TLI van stopped outside the house so I went out for a chat and he told me the first phase of cutting back trees will start soon. He looked like he was taking photographs of the trees to be cut. This is about 6KM NE of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

My property on the NBI site has been updated to "Network build in progress" and the date has moved from Dec 2020-Feb 2021 to January 2021-March 2021. I'm located outside of Oranmore, Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TheSegal wrote: »
    My property on the NBI site has been updated to "Network build in progress" and the date has moved from Dec 2020-Feb 2021 to January 2021-March 2021. I'm located outside of Oranmore, Galway
    My house in Rochestown, Cork has also been updated to network build in progress!

Network Build in Progress
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:December 2020 - February 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

My house in Rochestown, Cork has also been updated to network build in progress too!

Network Build in Progress
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:December 2020 - February 2021

Same here just outside Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Yup, my house updated:
    "Surveying Underway - Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    September 2021 - November 2021
    This is about 7km outside Tipperary Town.
    NBI were surveying here back in June/July though, so surveying is beyond _underway_

Yup, my house updated:

This is about 7km outside Tipperary Town.
    NBI were surveying here back in June/July though, so surveying is beyond _underway_

Surveying for me was May-June and I now have the following

"Surveying Underway

Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*
    Date: August 2021 - October 2021 "

6km south of Roscommon Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

My property on the NBI site has been updated to "Network build in progress" and the date has moved from Jan 2021 - March 2021 to February 2021 - April 2021.

I’m in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

Screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

How come I don’t have any date at all next to my house?

Still pending a survey with no estimates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How come I don’t have any date at all next to my house?

Still pending a survey with no estimates

Unfortunately this is currently a 7 year project so I assume surveying work for many areas, like my own, is still some years away with dates either unknown yet or only provisionally known internally.

Advertisement