Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

Smacruairi wrote: »
    1000 cases today.

Still need to review the numbers in detail, but what I was actually talking about in the post you so kindly referenced were the Dublin numbers, which would have required 300+ cases today to reverse the trend in the county. And given there were only 240, the point still stands. Very poor attempt at a gotcha to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

meeeeh wrote: »
    Because you think everyone who doesn't have same approach as you is misled by government.

Yes I think the government is misleading people, it wouldnt be the first time a government has done that, and I am not patronising them but you come across as aggressive to anyone who does not meet your viewpoint. It is sad that you cannot accept there can be other viewpoints other then your own. You sit there trying to be an expert while criticising others. Sad and pathetic.

Only way to know for sure if its the schools causing the rise is to shut them for a few weeks.

No, the only way to know for sure it’s schools causing the current rise is to lockdown until we get to about 100 cases a day and then send a large proportion of the population all around the country on holidays for month as happened in August, and then bring everyone back to work, open all pubs, restaurants, organise communions, confirmations, golf events and Gaa functions etc etc etc but not open the schools, and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

khalessi wrote: »
    Yes I think the government is misleading people, it wouldnt be the first time a government has done that, and I am not patronising them but you come across as aggressive to anyone who does not meet your viewpoint. It is sad that you cannot accept there can be other viewpoints other then your own. You sit there trying to be an expert while criticising others. Sad and pathetic.

Ouch cat has claws...

BTW I never claimed I'm an expert and I never claimed I know better than experts who say schools don't seem to be main issue. And I don't do dodgy stats to confirm my own biases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://twitter.com/DeeGilhawley/status/1315000670643261448?s=19

Public Health England figures shows that schools are the highest contributors of outbreaks over there. Why would it be any different here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

https://twitter.com/DeeGilhawley/status/1315000670643261448?s=19

Public Health England figures shows that schools are the highest contributors of outbreaks over there. Why would it be any different here?

Sure we have the ol irish covid here

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

Schools could well be spreaders, but that doesn’t mean parents don’t care

Did you see the social media reaction to the mid-term being extended by one week? :D

I presume you looked at the report not just the tweet?

Educational settings include universities btw. Infections ard very high for 20-29 group, reasonably high for 10-19 and low for younger kids.

Edit: reply is about UK report.

Educational settings include universities btw. Infections ard very high for 20-29 group, reasonably high for 10-19 and low for younger kids.

Oh I did and checked out a number of other sources. Thanks for caring:rolleyes:

Oh thanks for explaining educational settings, patronising much

• Advertisement

Edit: reply is about UK report.

Well universities here are nearly irrelevant as they are mostly working remote, 10-19 at "reasonably high" Is our entire post primary sector as well as 5th and 6th class in primary, but sure that won't be any problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think schools could close from 23rd, giving a 2 week holiday and the first week november work remotely, but that could well be all november to work remotely imo

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

As you guys now, I'm the inside eye in schools for the student body (I've explained this enough)

It isn't getting any better at the moment, people in my year still being tested, as well as other year groups.

My schools doing as good a job as they can, but with 1000 cases today... yeah yikes. Being a student with a health risk, that's terrifying. It would be a joke at this stage to be going into school with 800-1K daily cases (not even including NI)

I can't do anything as it's out of my control, but my hope is the extended midterm actually becomes a thing. Not because I want a longer break, but because I certainly don't want to be learning for my LC through Online Learning in December over a Zoom call.

I'm not too sure what that 2 week break will do, but hopefully it'll help calm down any community transmission? That's my hope anyway.

Oh I did and checked out a number of other sources. Thanks for caring:rolleyes:

Oh thanks for explaining educational settings, patronising much

I wasn't replying to your post but to the one wirelessdude posted. I should quote the post.

The after school counting project is not something I pay much attention to so I have no idea how accurate or not they are and neither do I care.

I wasn't replying to your post but to the one wirelessdude posted. I should quote the post.

The after school counting project is not something I pay much attention to so I have no idea how accurate or not tgey are neither do I care.

Still we do appreciate the explanation that universities are part of educational settings. If it wasnt for you the world would never have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Well universities here are nearly irrelevant as they are mostly working remote, 10-19 at "reasonably high" Is our entire post primary sector as well as 5th and 6th class in primary, but sure that won't be any problem at all.

Would include a number of 4th class children depending on when they started school - 4th class would be a mix of 10 year olds and those turning 10 through out the year. 5th would be a mix of 11 / 10 and 6th would be 12 / 11 .

It's UK report on UK numbers. I hate to break it to you Irish numbers wouldn't be included either for schools or universities.

It's UK report on UK numbers. I hate to break it to you Irish numbers wouldn't be included either for schools or universities.

So different virus in our educational sector? Or is it just that the educational system in England is multitudes worse than that of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Also just to add, as far as I'm aware (and I'm not sure if this "helps" their spread in schools and what not,) but no student body at least up to year 11 wears masks. (age 15/16) and A friend of mine in the UK was filling me in, masks there for secondary level and 6th form (age 16-19) aren't required.

Compared to Irish schools were secondary/colleges have compulsory mask wearing. I think that aids the Irish a little bit.

I may be wrong here though, could just be some schools in the UK that don't have a compulsory mask rule.

Still we do appreciate the explanation that universities are part of educational settings. If it wasnt for you the world would never have known.

Actually the point was that universities were not counted separately from schools in the UK report. While I admire your dripping sarcasm it is completely irrelevant. I only quickly checked the report but it doesn't clear up one bit what share of outbreaks were in schools which are the subject of this thread.

I'm almost certain there are quite a few outbreaks in UK in universities but what do I know. Maybe I should stop watching state propaganda (otherwise known as news) and start checking twitter for reliable information.

• Advertisement

Actually the point was that universities were not counted separately from schools in the UK report. While I admire your dripping sarcasm it is completely irrelevant. I only quickly checked the report but it doesn't clear up one bit what share of outbreaks were in schools which are the subject of this thread.

I'm almost certain there are quite a few outbreaks in UK in universities but what do I know. Maybe I should stop watching state propaganda (otherwise known as news) and start checking twitter for reliable information.

I love you. It is nice to see you are considering stretching your boundaries.

I love you. It is nice to see you are considering stretching your boundaries.

Well I am lovable.

Well I am lovable.

Tis true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think schools could close from 23rd, giving a 2 week holiday and the first week november work remotely, but that could well be all november to work remotely imo

We are all closed from the 23rd under Department standardisation of school holidays. But I get what you mean, have a 2 week Halloween break to bring down numbers.

Personally I think a 2 week Halloween and 1 week Easter would be better than going remote for one week only, it's an awful lot of scheduling for the sake of a week. Not just for teachers, for everyone involved. If you are going longer then yeah, it's worthwhile.

I think one week of Easter is meant to be for catch up days anyway but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭combat14

forget the one week extra holiday at Halloween (no one can go anywhere anyway so it is just additionally depressing) it's the 21st century just go online end of

combat14 wrote: »
    forget the one week extra holiday at Halloween (no one can go anywhere anyway so it is just additionally depressing) it's the 21st century just go online end of

The department should have provided laptops or tablets for kids to access online work. I have kids trying to do work on phones which is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭uli84

wow, has any other country closed schools? What are we even talking about here again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

combat14 wrote: »

100%

Id say looking at things now it would need more than 1 week, so we may aswell get on with things to the best of our ability.

On a slightly different note.
    State exams and NCCA really need to reasses plans for next summer.
    I'm livid with the NCCA regarding my subject, Geography.
    They retained the field trip which to me places needless risks on students and teachers.
    We did our trip, tried as best to keep social distancing, sanitizing equipment, hand sanitizer, gloves and masks to be worn if social distancing couldn't be maintained but it now looks like we had a student with us who was a close contact on our trip. People in full PPE in hospital pick it up, so now its a waiting game to hear if this student tests positive.
    Im not waiting for public health to tell me to reduce my contacts im doing it right now. I'm confident im not a close contact of that student, but same cant be said of all of her class mates as some tasks required students having to work together.

uli84 wrote: »
    wow, has any other country closed schools? What are we even talking about here again?

None of us want schools closed, we all warned it would end up like this back in August when the government released their farce of a reopening "plan"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭uli84

None of us want schools closed, we all warned it would end up like this back in August when the government released their farce of a reopening "plan"

Right, just had a quick glance over this thread and all that “extra week” here/there or “move online” gave me that impression

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement