Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Did I miss that, our just already forget about it?

I wish I could forget the Neil Warnock anecdote as easily:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Did I miss that, our just already forget about it?

It was today saying he was heading out to Abbotstown but to the tune of Allentown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I wish I could forget the Neil Warnock anecdote as easily:eek:

I might try doing the same thing in front of staff in work to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Cienciano wrote: »
    I might try doing the same thing in front of staff in work to see what happens.

I look forward to Mark Horgan's investigative podcast series about trying to find you after that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Anyone know why The Dubliners track was played at the end of yesterday's episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone know why The Dubliners track was played at the end of yesterday's episode?

For Dermo retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

An ode to The Fair View.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Neymar is yet to tweet about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

healy1835 wrote: »
    An ode to The Fair View.

Wasn't it the Marino Waltz for Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Ah right. I skipped all the chat about the GAA. My bad. Should have put it altogether to be fair ha. I did think of the Fair View when I heard it. He should bring that back was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

podcasts are always late the days I want to hear it the most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

podcasts are always late the days I want to hear it the most

Always seems to be that way haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken was oddly obsessing/paranoid about the fake crowd noises....

He really doesn’t like BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken was oddly obsessing/paranoid about the fake crowd noises....

It was funny hear him rant but not really sure what his problem was. BT and Sky both have options without the noise. BBC show so few games it's hardly worth moaning about, especially when it's free to air

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I felt a pang of dissapointment when Eoin distracted Ken off just before he was going to get into the moon landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Don't find Richie Sadlier's opinion on soccer interesting at all. It is a complete mystery to me how he has amassed a media career.

I'd value Ken Early's opinion more and at least I might get funny side comment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Im throwing this comment in here that I posted in the McWilliams podcast thread because it mentions second captains and I feel its relevant.

Seemingly Trump getting Covid is funny now....... The pair of them laughing on todays podcast. There is a smugness to the way they go about their business. Ill still listen moreso for the guests but it is wearing thin.

Either the virus is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously or it isn't. He didnt get diarrhoea.

Its akin to Varadkar being doused in smoothie last week....but it's funny when it happens to Farage. You either stand for something or you stand for nothing.

McWilliams sidekick here is like a less vocal Tony Groves from the Black Eye. There is a sanctimonious holier than thou " forgive them for they know not what they do" air about them.

I listen to McWilliams, Second Captains, the Black Eye, Dunphy and used to listen to Blindboy. But once you start to see the virtue signlling you cant unsee it. A comment here, a remark there. Thinly veiled but always present. Ken early compared the premier leagues generous proliferation of penalties to Brexit in his indo piece last week which they then ran with on the pod. They just cant help themselves....and I say that as a man with a SC Annual signed by Ken Early on my bookshelf. The way i saw it the insinuation was (between the indo piece and audio of Jenas' commentary) was that its a racist anti foreigners country who don't want stupid european (foreigner) hand ball rules. The irony of Jenas being a person of colour himself not withstanding.

I want to listen to sport and economics reportage but I don't want to be moralised to on a daily basis. If anything id say this is the new "populism".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Either the virus is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously or it isn't. He didnt get diarrhoea.

The thing is that the virus is dangerous, but Trump didn't take it seriously. He basically asked to get it. That's the difference here.

dulpit wrote: »
    The thing is that the virus is dangerous, but Trump didn't take it seriously. He basically asked to get it. That's the difference here.

I don't think there is a difference. And I think the inference can be drawn that there are others apart from Trump they would also laugh at.

If people want to claim/portray some sort of higher morality then they have stand over it and apply a consistent standard. Schadenfreude laden smirks at people they don't like or agree with just undermines their pomposity.

• Advertisement

"616 cases in Northern Ireland yesterday " murph exclaims in an almost panicked tone.

To that i say "so what".

Cases are just cases. Test everyone for diabetes or chlamydia and there will be a disturbing spike in those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

dulpit wrote: »

Plus it was pretty clear by yesterday that he wasn't in mortal danger, with the doctors saying he might be released that evening. If he was literally fighting for his life the mockery would have been out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nonsense posts aside, Ken has to be off the smokes. I thought immediately when he reacted to the poor old upset apple cart.

His reaction to the fake crowd noise has all but confirmed it

(I've no idea, of course, but jeeeaysus he was irritable).

US Murph today on Trump. This is verbatim at 25:17 : "those who believe in him uh.. I would say probably guys who are likely to join a cult probably somewhere along the way if it wasn't the president". Lovely stuff indeed. Fabulously unbiased reportage.

He then goes on to hypocritically say there is no grey area in discussing Trump and that his supporters support him no matter what. I would contend that the exact opposite is also true and that his detractors (he himself ten seconds earlier as an exemplar) will never ever give him credit for anything and they have been crying piss since he was elected in 2016 like spoiled children. From Madonna saying she wanted to blow up the white house the day after he got the gig to people laughing at him getting Covid this week.

This is the problem with US Murph and his ilk (particularly in his neck of the woods in California). He is packaging up and telling us what he thinks we want to hear. It's cool to be progressive with his Irish pals. I think the progressives have displayed a snobbish nasty streak that has come to the fore over the last few years. They think it's funny to slag off Trumps "orangeness", his hair , Farage getting covered in milkshake etc. They look down on Trump voters and Brexit voters as uneducated racists and then on the other hand whinge about Trump potentially not respecting democracy while they impeached and dragged out brexit for years respectively.
    I voted Fine Gael but you see the same thing here after Sinn Fein gained some traction. People looking down on others for their legally held views.

The John Delaney audio bed with the theme tune from succession reminds me of a scene from the same show (its brilliant) which echoes how i think they feel about those who don't share their views :

Greg: I was thinking about maybe going to . . . have you ever visited the California Pizza Kitchen?
    Tom: No. Dear Lord, no.
    Greg: It’s pretty delicious, Tom.
    Tom: No, no it isn’t, Greg.
    Greg: They make a Cajun chicken linguini just how I like it.
    Tom: But that’s not how you’re supposed to like it. You probably have quite an undereducated palate. So let’s go out and I’ll teach you. And I’ll show you how to be rich.

Niall Stanage is probably the fairest commentator on Trump I have encountered in Irish media.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nonsense posts aside, Ken has to be off the smokes. I thought immediately when he reacted to the poor old upset apple cart.

His reaction to the dake crowd noise has all but confirmed it

(I've no idea, of course, but jeeeaysus he was irritable).

Still think that rant about 18 months ago when he gave up the smokes was the best episode ever . Where he said " why don't you just **** off Eoin".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

US Murph today on Trump. This is verbatim at 25:17 : "those who believe in him uh.. I would say probably guys who are likely to join a cult probably somewhere along the way if it wasn't the president". Lovely stuff indeed. Fabulously unbiased reportage.

He then goes on to hypocritically say there is no grey area in discussing Trump and that his supporters support him no matter what. I would contend that the exact opposite is also true and that his detractors (he himself ten seconds earlier as an exemplar) will never ever give him credit for anything and they have been crying piss since he was elected in 2016 like spoiled children. From Madonna saying she wanted to blow up the white house the day after he got the gig to people laughing at him getting Covid this week.

This is the problem with US Murph and his ilk (particularly in his neck of the woods in California). He is packaging up and telling us what he thinks we want to hear. It's cool to be progressive with his Irish pals. I think the progressives have displayed a snobbish nasty streak that has come to the fore over the last few years. They think it's funny to slag off Trumps "orangeness", his hair , Farage getting covered in milkshake etc. They look down on Trump voters and Brexit voters as uneducated racists and then on the other hand whinge about Trump potentially not respecting democracy while they impeached and dragged out brexit for years respectively.
    I voted Fine Gael but you see the same thing here after Sinn Fein gained some traction. People looking down on others for their legally held views.

The John Delaney audio bed with the theme tune from succession reminds me of a scene from the same show (its brilliant) which echoes how i think they feel about those who don't share their views :

Greg: I was thinking about maybe going to . . . have you ever visited the California Pizza Kitchen?
    Tom: But that’s not how you’re supposed to like it. You probably have quite an undereducated palate. So let’s go out and I’ll teach you. And I’ll show you how to be rich.

Niall Stanage is probably the fairest commentator on Trump I have encountered in Irish media.

Trump is a ball of slime.

Trump is a ball of slime.

Oh I 100% agree but that's not what I am getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm not reading all of that, all I'll say is it's not "biased" if you think Trump is a twat because he behaves like a twat.

It's dislike. Not bias.

Secondly, it's absolutely not anything like telling the Irish what they want to hear, wherever that mad idea came from. If you ever listened to Murph & Mac, they are absolutely consistent in their correct views that Trump is exactly what he is, a self serving, manipulative creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

They look down on Trump voters and Brexit voters as uneducated racists and then on the other hand whinge about Trump potentially not respecting democracy while they impeached and dragged out brexit for years respectively.

What is this garbled nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Can we please not let this thread get detailed by Trump and Brexit nonsense like so many others?

Advertisement