Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Raoul wrote: »
    Murph really annoyed me yesterday or maybe it was the day before. Ken was talking about Michael Collins when they were talking about Doherty or Dockerty. Ken was about to start talking about something completely ridiculous about being down by the statue or something and Murph just had to interject and talk over him. Murphs point was right but whatever, it's entertainment and that's what Ken provides. I want to know what the statue ****e talk was. :(

Your wrong, Murph had started talking and ken interjected him! Murph simply followed through and let ken at it. It was 14.30 onwards of Fridays pod btw.

Now i was more interested in hearing Ken but it wasn't murph who interjected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Beersmith wrote: »
    Your wrong, Murph had started talking and ken interjected him! Murph simply followed through and let ken at it. It was 14.30 onwards of Fridays pod btw.

Now i was more interested in hearing Ken but it wasn't murph who interjected.

Maybe my post looked a little bit more serious than it was. Sorry ha. It was a little bit in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I wonder if Giles and Dunphy will stfu about their "football men" shít after Mark Tighes book? Dunphy supported Delaney until very late in day, turns out the cost to buy Dunphy is a few Manchester United tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We always knew Dunphy was a hoor, the question was, how much!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We need a rugby version of Ken to call out the bullshít.

Ken Burley was the greatest ever rugby pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cienciano wrote: »
    I wonder if Giles and Dunphy will stfu about their "football men" shít after Mark Tighes book? Dunphy supported Delaney until very late in day, turns out the cost to buy Dunphy is a few Manchester United tickets.

I'm also reading the book at the moment.

Even though I think I know the whole sorry story pretty well, there's still details on most pages that just make me say, "Jesus Christ".

Random sample: The final bill for Delaney's 50th birthday was 80,000 Euro - including 3,609 Euro for helicopters to ferry guests...that were never used.

Just as an aside, as I wouldn't know where else too ask, how long would it normally be before an audio book version would come out for a new release?

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm also reading the book at the moment.

Even though I think I know the whole sorry story pretty well, there's still details on most pages that just make me say, "Jesus Christ".

Random sample: The final bill for Delaney's 50th birthday was 80,000 Euro - including 3,609 Euro for helicopters to ferry guests...that were never used.

The crazy bit is that even though he expensed everything, clothes, food, rent, travel etc he still needs to take out €10k a year in cash with the credit card. I'd struggle to spend it. And his girlfriend dumped him when the money started to dry up too.

Just as an aside, as I wouldn't know where else too ask, how long would it normally be before an audio book version would come out for a new release?

Have they said for sure that there will be an audio book? There wouldn't be much of audience outside of Ireland so the publishers mightn't feel it was worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Have they said for sure that there will be an audio book? There wouldn't be much of audience outside of Ireland so the publishers mightn't feel it was worth the effort.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1305233034422226945

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

Dunphy is a survivor. He will support whatever way the wind is blowing next..... entertaining man but complete blow bag.

From Mark Tighes book, at Delaney's birthday:
    Delaney then paid a tearful tribute to Emma English. ‘He started
    slobbering about their love,’ says Dunphy. ‘It was cringe city.’
    Dunphy hadn’t seen much of his good friend Giles, who spent
    much of the night up at a bar with Dr Alan Byrne, the Irish team
    doctor, having a sing-song. As the guests drank their teas and
    coffees, Delaney and English slowly danced alone between tables,
    singing the lyrics to each other and kissing

Christ, Dunphy is on the money with cringe city. Who's going to play them in the movie? I think they could do it as a Spinal Tap type mocumentary and have Will Ferrell playing John Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Been a fan of the lads since their OTB days and am a proud world service member but the quality (and quantity) of their content has really dipped of late, even taking the pandemic into consideration.

Friday’s show was a great case in point. They spent 30 mins talking to Vera Pauw on a Friday before a Liverpool / Chelsea game, a breaking Thiago transfer, US Open (with McElroy kind of still in contention), the sad passing of Pat Smullen, Bale loan, Sam Bennett rolling into Paris with Green jersey, not to mention the best climax to the TdF in years. The Pauw interview was fine but they could / should have found time to touch on some of the above too. Still no mention of the golf or tennis today or even Leinster (though I’m sure they’ll roll out Horgan later in the week for some fairly mundane takes). I know Monday is a “football show” but they should really revisit that the day after the greatest Irish sporting achievement in years.

OTB obviously have bigger budgets but they are really killing it at the moment. I’m really not a fan of some of their talent or shows but they are getting on some great guests and quickly reacting to big sports news as it happens. As another example they interviewed Conor Niland after Novak got kicked out of the US Open; a former player who was kicked out for a very similar thing a few years earlier. I don’t remember SC covering the expulsion at all but I’d imagine it was restricted to a few jokes about how he doesn’t believe in vaccines and is a bit of a dick...

I still enjoy some of the banter amongst the guys and maybe that’s what the show is all about now. But for football talk the Guardian is far superior, for general sports news & opinion OTB is the only show in town and their Sunday Paper Review (depending on who the guest are) is probably the sports talk show I enjoy the most at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Been a fan of the lads since their OTB days and am a proud world service member but the quality (and quantity) of their content has really dipped of late, even taking the pandemic into consideration.

Friday’s show was a great case in point. They spent 30 mins talking to Vera Pauw on a Friday before a Liverpool / Chelsea game, a breaking Thiago transfer, US Open (with McElroy kind of still in contention), the sad passing of Pat Smullen, Bale loan, Sam Bennett rolling into Paris with Green jersey, not to mention the best climax to the TdF in years. The Pauw interview was fine but they could / should have found time to touch on some of the above too. Still no mention of the golf or tennis today or even Leinster (though I’m sure they’ll roll out Horgan later in the week for some fairly mundane takes). I know Monday is a “football show” but they should really revisit that the day after the greatest Irish sporting achievement in years.

OTB obviously have bigger budgets but they are really killing it at the moment. I’m really not a fan of some of their talent or shows but they are getting on some great guests and quickly reacting to big sports news as it happens. As another example they interviewed Conor Niland after Novak got kicked out of the US Open; a former player who was kicked out for a very similar thing a few years earlier. I don’t remember SC covering the expulsion at all but I’d imagine it was restricted to a few jokes about how he doesn’t believe in vaccines and is a bit of a dick...

I still enjoy some of the banter amongst the guys and maybe that’s what the show is all about now. But for football talk the Guardian is far superior, for general sports news & opinion OTB is the only show in town and their Sunday Paper Review (depending on who the guest are) is probably the sports talk show I enjoy the most at the moment.

OTB Sunday Paper review is great. It's quite telling that it's OTB's best content, where there are more guests than presenters. Great time for Joe Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I really enjoyed the VP talk tbh.
    The PL/Transfers talk is had on tonnes of other platforms and it's refreshing to have different angles I think myself.
    Granted there's plenty other stuff going on too that they could have covered but I am sure a lot of it will be disected this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

OTB's relationship with bookmakers is very problematic in this day and age. Decent show but at what cost???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Friday’s show was a great case in point. They spent 30 mins talking to Vera Pauw on a Friday before a Liverpool / Chelsea game, a breaking Thiago transfer, US Open (with McElroy kind of still in contention), the sad passing of Pat Smullen, Bale loan, Sam Bennett rolling into Paris with Green jersey, not to mention the best climax to the TdF in years. The Pauw interview was fine but they could / should have found time to touch on some of the above too. Still no mention of the golf or tennis today or even Leinster (though I’m sure they’ll roll out Horgan later in the week for some fairly mundane takes). I know Monday is a “football show†but they should really revisit that the day after the greatest Irish sporting achievement in years.

I dont think the lads do many of the shows on Friday, it's usually prerecorded stuff thats released Friday with stuff like that interview. Surprised they haven't gone back to the 2 shows on a Monday yet though, plenty of sport back now to cover it

They really don't do much previewing at all apart maybe from Ireland games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Is Glendenning not on that Guardian podcast? I just find him unlistenable. Can't stand him. Really enjoy the Totally Football Show though. A lot of in depth coverage and Jimbo is amazing.

I really like most that are on the TFS. Some notable excepts are that Brazilian lady natalie and the spanish guy alvaro. Just can't stand their terrible thick accents and bad English

• Advertisement

From Mark Tighes book, at Delaney's birthday:

Christ, Dunphy is on the money with cringe city. Who's going to play them in the movie? I think they could do it as a Spinal Tap type mocumentary and have Will Ferrell playing John Delaney.

It's a very entertaining book so far - though it's quite gossipy and bitchy, they seem to have had access to everyone with an axe to grind with Delaney - and that is a lot of people. As much as I think Delaney was an absolute scumbag, I think there's a lot of people doing their best to paint themselves in the best possible light.

Dunphy is almost hilarious in his opportunism. The first chapter is dominated by Dunphy's frank assessment of Delaney and everything surrounding him - but yet he was happy enough to play the game, go to the dinners and pick up the complimentary Old Trafford tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

OTB is the only show in town?

Lord above.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with this.

Beersmith wrote: »
    I really like most that are on the TFS. Some notable excepts are that Brazilian lady natalie and the spanish guy alvaro. Just can't stand their terrible thick accents and bad English

I thought I was the only one... That Alvaro fellow, I can't listen to TFS when he's on, I've tried, I can't hack listening to his accent. He seems a nice guy and he knows his stuff and I usually can get past an accent - but my brain just can't deal with the sound of that fella's voice.

It's a very entertaining book so far - though it's quite gossipy and bitchy, they seem to have had access to everyone with an axe to grind with Delaney - and that is a lot of people. As much as I think Delaney was an absolute scumbag, I think there's a lot of people doing their best to paint themselves in the best possible light.

Dunphy is almost hilarious in his opportunism. The first chapter is dominated by Dunphy's frank assessment of Delaney and everything surrounding him - but yet he was happy enough to play the game, go to the dinners and pick up the complimentary Old Trafford tickets.

Dunphy has Mark Tighe on his podcast and appareltly Dunphy ripping into Delaney. A quick scan through the book it looks like Dunphy is giving the impression he tolerated Delaney to get what he wanted off him. But he still defended him publicly long after the story broke.

Dunphy is entertaining, but he's part of the problem. He pretends he's not afraid to speak out about corruption, he's not afraid to say anything when in reality he's bought cheaper than most. He'd be one of the lads voting in John Delaney because he donated €5k to their club. He'd be the one in the Oireachtas hearing, queuing up to give praise and softball questions because Delaney appeared at a fundraising raffle at a club in his hometown. But even worse, when the rats have left the sinking ship, he denies all knowledge , pretends he never said all that and puts the boot in.

Dunphy has Mark Tighe on his podcast and appareltly Dunphy ripping into Delaney. A quick scan through the book it looks like Dunphy is giving the impression he tolerated Delaney to get what he wanted off him. But he still defended him publicly long after the story broke.

Dunphy is entertaining, but he's part of the problem. He pretends he's not afraid to speak out about corruption, he's not afraid to say anything when in reality he's bought cheaper than most. He'd be one of the lads voting in John Delaney because he donated €5k to their club. He'd be the one in the Oireachtas hearing, queuing up to give praise and softball questions because Delaney appeared at a fundraising raffle at a club in his hometown. But even worse, when the rats have left the sinking ship, he denies all knowledge , pretends he never said all that and puts the boot in.

I listen to Dunphy's podcast from time to time and he can be a good host, depending on the guest and sure he's been an entertaining figure in Irish public life for decades, but, yes, the chapter in the book dominated by Dunphy's recollections reaffirmed my essential view on the man:

He's a BS artist with zero integrity, who'll play the contrarian when it's beneficial, but who'll equally suck up to those in charge when it's required - and who'll change his tune when required too; a hack.

It felt a bit rich reading about how much he supposedly hated going to those dinners and accepting those tickets. Sure, hey, at least he had mental reservations...

It makes it worse in my eyes that he had enough brains to have those reservations and still said and did essentially nothing and never, to my knowledge, raised any questions publicly while Delaney was ruling the roost. That's worse than the brainless acolytes who hung off Delaney's coat tails. Dunphy knew the craic and said nothing and kept quiet, but now is sticking the boot in. Not that Delaney doesn't deserve it - boy does he deserve it - but why didn't you use your unique position in the Irish media Eamo to raise your voice when it might have made some difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Agree with the majority of that there. But in the book, yes Dunphy is sticking the boot in and it is entertaining but at the same time he does say he took the tickets and more or less shut up. So, he doesn't come out of it looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Does anyone else think the book competition was possibly a scam ? The winners names sounded very made up to me ? Maybe there was one genuine winner in that list but..... even that I’m doubtful about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Does anyone else think the book competition was possibly a scam ? The winners names sounded very made up to me ? Maybe there was one genuine winner in that list but..... even that I’m doubtful about.

Haha jesus christ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Haha... Why would they fake a competition for fifty quid's worth of books that they probably got given for free.
    Another Second Captain truther in the thread after the Mark Horgan conspiracy last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I thought the name Booky Mcbookface sounded a little suspicious too :pac:

Advertisement