Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

elefant wrote: »
    What is this garbled nonsense?

Why do you feel the need to insult someone like that?

I understand the point the user is trying to make, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

dog_pig wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to insult someone like that?

I understand the point the user is trying to make, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

Nothing about it makes sense. Who held up Brexit? Who impeached Trump? In what way are either of those things 'not respecting democracy'? Who are these 'progressives' that managed all this? What does this have to do with Second Captains?

I like this thread, and I hope it's not derailed by this sort of vague guff with very tenuous connections to the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Can we please not let this thread get detailed by Trump and Brexit nonsense like so many others?

I agree. Thats not my intention.

As I alluded to in my first post today its just something you notice all the time and cant un-notice. I knew once I heard the LCD sound system intro for US murph today that he would get a Trump dig in (when we are supposed to be talking about the NBA). And sure enough he delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

elefant wrote: »
    Nothing about it makes sense. Who held up Brexit? Who impeached Trump? In what way are either of those things 'not respecting democracy'? Who are these 'progressives' that managed all this?

I like this thread, and I hope it's not derailed by this sort of vague guff with very tenuous connections to the podcast.

So because you didn't understand what the user was saying you had to insult them? Would it be fair for me to insult you in a similar manner because you didn't possess the necessary powers of deduction to determine what TRANQUILLO meant by his post?

You like the thread and hope it's not derailed yet you're throwing insults at other posters because you don't understand what they've said. Somehow I don't think that's the best approach to avoiding derailing the thread.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm not reading all of that, all I'll say is it's not "biased" if you think Trump is a twat because he behaves like a twat.

It's dislike. Not bias.

Secondly, it's absolutely not anything like telling the Irish what they want to hear, wherever that mad idea came from. If you ever listened to Murph & Mac, they are absolutely consistent in their correct views that Trump is exactly what he is, a self serving, manipulative creep.

Im not defending Trump at all. My point was he had a pop at people who voted for him. And that rhetoric gets us nowhere. Thats all im saying. Belittling others for holding an alternative view leaves us in a perpetual cycle of insults and retorts.

Im waiting for him to start talking about Lebron ( im a paying punter of a sports podcast) and hes slagging off anyone who voted for Trump.

People will argue that I have derailed the thread but I feel he is derailing the podcast. We got more on Trump than we did on Lebron vs Jordan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe it was just as well Ken didn't get into the moon landings yesterday.

I'm not reading all of that, all I'll say is it's not "biased" if you think Trump is a twat because he behaves like a twat.

It's dislike. Not bias.

Secondly, it's absolutely not anything like telling the Irish what they want to hear, wherever that mad idea came from. If you ever listened to Murph & Mac, they are absolutely consistent in their correct views that Trump is exactly what he is, a self serving, manipulative creep.

You read half of it anyway !

Arghus wrote: »
    Maybe it was just as well Ken didn't get into the moon landings yesterday.

I really wanted him to. He's at his best with his surrealism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can we please not let this thread get detailed by Trump and Brexit nonsense like so many others?

Yes, sorry 'bout that.

(In my semi defence I was more trying to defend US Murph, cos I think he's great).

Anyway, international week it is! The worst weeks for podcast listeners, even when there is something big at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

I listen to McWilliams, Second Captains, the Black Eye, Dunphy and used to listen to Blindboy. But once you start to see the virtue signlling you cant unsee it..

Nope, but you can unsubscribe from them. I'm sure there's plenty of podcasts out there that do nothing but 'report on sport'...

• Advertisement

Nope, but you can unsubscribe from them. I'm sure there's plenty of podcasts out there that do nothing but 'report on sport'...

I have unsubscribed from Blindboy a long time ago. Initially interesting but jumped the shark and went full on woke.

I think your suggestion is flippant and unfair. Im a fan. Im passionate about the pods. When the equipment is not up to scratch in your local gym that you have enjoyed for years you wouldn't expect the manager to tell you to cancel your membership and go somewhere else if you don't like it.

I like SC and I like Dunphy (although he is a Tomas Ryan episode away from being deleted). Dunphys episodes on the cervical cancer scandal and the Maurice McCabe case were brilliant. Nicola Tallant was among the vanguard on the Kinehans before others in the mainstream stuck their head above parapet in relation to MTK.

Second Captains is my favourite podcast but it becomes tiresome when personal political preferences are shoe horned into otherwise innocuous discussions. They have a Ken Early political pod for all that anyway. Why is Brexit coming up in a conversation about VAR? Why is Trump being mentioned in a Lebron GOAT conversation?

"its not about war and death and famine, its the opposite of that , its to convince us there is a world outside of that , that's why sports important "
    Michael Parkinson

They should use that quote for an audio bed ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ye'll do it aginnnn!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like SC and I like Dunphy (although he is a Tomas Ryan episode away from being deleted). Dunphys episodes on the cervical cancer scandal )

I thought it was very heavily biased with even Phelan's lawyer having to talk Dunphy down from some very wrong assumptions he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Nonsense posts aside, Ken has to be off the smokes. I thought immediately when he reacted to the poor old upset apple cart.

His reaction to the dake crowd noise has all but confirmed it

(I've no idea, of course, but jeeeaysus he was irritable).

Ken irritable is much more entertaining then Ken disengaged so I'm all for this. He's "phoned in" a good few pods over COVID. Remember the FAI press conference one? He was caught out not paying attention and duly got ridiculed by the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Still think that rant about 18 months ago when he gave up the smokes was the best episode ever . Where he said " why don't you just **** off Eoin".

Why did he tell Eoin to **** off?

siblers wrote: »
    Why did he tell Eoin to **** off?

Eoin had asked him how quitting the smokes was going or something to that effect.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought it was very heavily biased with even Phelan's lawyer having to talk Dunphy down from some very wrong assumptions he had.

Yeah fair point. I was just glad to see it get proper air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Just a pod recommendation based on above posts, Mea Culpa - Michael Cohen (Trump's former lawyer that did time). He talks to other former Trump employees, gives some insight into the man and talks about the insane cult-ure around Trump.

Anyways no more politics talk, big game Thursday, COYBIG

al87987 wrote: »
    Just a pod recommendation based on above posts, Mea Culpa - Michael Cohen (Trump's former lawyer that did time). He talks to other former Trump employees, gives some insight into the man and talks about the insane cult-ure around Trump.

Anyways no more politics talk, big game Thursday, COYBIG

While we are on recommendations may I suggest "the madness of crowds" by Douglas Murray.

International breaks are just the pits.

US Murph was increasingly getting on my nerves as the years went by but it is pretty easy to skip his section, no need to listen and then get annoyed and start complaining (although it took me a few months of getting annoyed listening to him before I realised this myself and started skipping him last year:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Haskell interview today is pretty good.

CiaranW wrote: »
    Haskell interview today is pretty good.

I never heard of him before this week but he seems to be doing the podcast rounds at the minute with the book and comes across as good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought he came across as a self absorbed pain in the arse to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Arghus wrote: »
    Thought he came across as a self absorbed pain in the arse to be honest.

Same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Don't find Richie Sadlier's opinion on soccer interesting at all. It is a complete mystery to me how he has amassed a media career.

I'd value Ken Early's opinion more and at least I might get funny side comment as well.

Anyone else enjoy his not so subtle digs at Dunphy (presumably) from their time in the RTE studio?
    They really seem to not get on at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Raoul

Obrieski wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoy his not so subtle digs at Dunphy (presumably) from their time in the RTE studio?
    They really seem to not get on at all!

"It's showbiz baby"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I thought he was going to say that "certain" pundits' opinions were influenced by vodka in the water glass, but then he said gambling!

Life ain't always empty.

Declan Ricccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ken must delighted watching this without fake crowd noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken must delighted watching this without fake crowd noise

It’s awful... I need that fake noise

Advertisement