Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Don't listen to him if he offends you so much.

im a paid subscriber with an interest in american sports . I don't need this fella on pouring slurry from his ivory tower every week. Just talk about the sport for crying out loud or get someone on who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Thats exactly my point . Im listening to a sports podcast to escape that ****e. I don't want to talk about politics . Your man cant help himself.

Neither can you it seems.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Neither can you it seems.

What are you talking about? If he stopped doing it id have no complaint to make.

Thats just typical boards.ie smart arsery.

Check my posting history . Not a single post in the politics forum. I just don't want a part of it. Its cancerous and objective discourse has long since left the building.

I don't mind the odd sojourn off piste in a podcast but when a fella makes it his weekly business to whinge about his own political preference not being represented in the white house its too much to take.

If he lived over here he'd be sipping an IPA in Pmacs with a repeal jumper on him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Surely he'd be in Key-hoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

im a paid subscriber with an interest in american sports . I don't need this fella on pouring slurry from his ivory tower every week. Just talk about the sport for crying out loud or get someone on who will.

Second Captain isn't the podcast for you if you are interested in American sports.
    American Murph has always mixed politics in with his limited sports reporting in the US years before Trump was president.

As a SF based reporter, Kaepernick taking the knee in 2016 & his subsequent black balling by NFL was massive political & sporting news.
    Same with BLM matter & this year's NBA play-off strike in Florida.

No matter how much you may hate it, sports & politics in the US are intertwined.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Second Captain isn't the podcast for you if you are interested in American sports.
    American Murph has always mixed politics in with his limited sports reporting in the US years before Trump was president.

As a SF based reporter, Kaepernick taking the knee in 2016 & his subsequent black balling by NFL was massive political & sporting news.
    Same with BLM matter & this year's NBA play-off strike in Florida.

No matter how much you may hate it, sports & politics in the US are intertwined.

Why would i unsubscribe from a sports podcast because i don't like their reportage on one particular sport? I just don't like the contributor. The lady they have on for the tennis is very good for instance.

People on here whinge about miguel delaney and other contributors but they don't get told to unsubscribe or find their soccer journalism elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thoroughly recommend adding Tranquillo to the ignore list. This thread has managed to avoid his kind of ****e for a long time, lets try keep it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Why would i unsubscribe from a sports podcast because i don't like their reportage on one particular sport? I just don't like the contributor. The lady they have on for the tennis is very good for instance.

People on here whinge about miguel delaney and other contributors but they don't get told to unsubscribe or find their soccer journalism elsewhere.

They generally skip last his bits if they don't like him. Target than putting up numerous big posts complaining that it's not what they want to hear on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Loved Ken's impression of the FAI 'jobsworth' telling people where to sit on the plane:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: Thanks to everyone who reported the post(s), we're watching the thread. If a user is judged to be trolling/out just for a reaction (ie not seeking actual discussion) we'll take action. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

buyer95 wrote: »
    'The FAI doesn't even have a premium Zoom account, nevermind a bigger plane.' Top notch stuff from Ken Early today on the Bratislava plane disaster today.'Stephen Kenny was mid sentence and the meeting ended.' Hilarious

Classic Ken!

He didn't know why they were being rushed to get started, then it all became clear when it automatically ended after 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Check my posting history . Not a single post in the politics forum.

Somehow I doubt this is your first rodeo though.

Also that doesn't jive with your constantly bringing up the very topic you claim you don't want to talk about :rolleyes:
    If he lived over here he'd be sipping an IPA in Pmacs with a repeal jumper on him.

The above is a pure wind-up and has nothing to do with any podcast.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

yermandan wrote: »
    Murph's shouts for McCarthy to get off the stage were great today. Boiled my piss listening to him for the whole match yesterday. Shameless

Murph telling mick to basically **** off boiled my piss. Mick captained and managed the country to world cups. In management he always scouted Irish talent extensively and tried to get lads to declare for Ireland even when he wasn’t the Irish manager. Of the present squad He took David Mcgoldrick off the scrap heap and Matt Doherty from laying carpet and playing for Bohs.

But mick points out that we score goals from crosses more than other teams and now he should **** off.

Call me old fashioned but I really think that’s poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Renegadema wrote: »
    Murph telling mick to basically **** off boiled my piss. Mick captained and managed the country to world cups. In management he always scouted Irish talent extensively and tried to get lads to declare for Ireland even when he wasn’t the Irish manager. Of the present squad He took David Mcgoldrick off the scrap heap and Matt Doherty from laying carpet and playing for Bohs.

But mick points out that we score goals from crosses more than other teams and now he should **** off.

You're making some valid remarks in relation to what Mick has done during his time as island manager and beyond. That doesn't make his current position acceptable.

It's similar to the bootlickers in grassroots organizations saying John Delaney was great because he gave them a grant for their new ground.

You're making some valid remarks in relation to what Mick has done during his time as island manager and beyond. That doesn't make his current position acceptable.

It's similar to the bootlickers in grassroots organizations saying John Delaney was great because he gave them a grant for their new ground.

No it’s just a case of someone serving their country with distinction being remembered for It and not told in effect to **** off Once they outlived their usefulness.

A bit of loyalty. A bit of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

No it’s just a case of someone serving their country with distinction being remembered for It and not told in effect to **** off Once they outlived their usefulness.

No way. I can't agree with you there. He is commenting on Mick's analysis of Stephen Kenny's Ireland and not on Mick McCarthy in general. Mick being in the position of casting his observations untethered is a ridiculous situation. Great for Sky though as it will continue to attract viewers to see what other nuggets of "I wouldn't have done that" to "crosses are what we score from" Mick will come out with tonight.

boccy23 wrote: »
    No way. I can't agree with you there. He is commenting on Mick's analysis of Stephen Kenny's Ireland and not on Mick McCarthy in general. Mick being in the position of casting his observations untethered is a ridiculous situation. Great for Sky though as it will continue to attract viewers to see what other nuggets of "I wouldn't have done that" to "crosses are what we score from" Mick will come out with tonight.

You have “I wouldn’t have done that” in quotes. Did Mick use those words? I haven’t heard the co-comm first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

You have “I wouldn’t have done that” in quotes. Did Mick use those words? I haven’t heard the co-comm first hand.

Its all in what he is saying. He's not analysing what Stephen Kenny is doing or trying to do. He is looking at individual players, where he used them, how effective they were before etc. etc. But he is not providing cogent analysis of what's happening in the current game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mick doesn't know the meaning of those word. Puke.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Its all in what he is saying. He's not analysing what Stephen Kenny is doing or trying to do. He is looking at individual players, where he used them, how effective they were before etc. etc. But he is not providing cogent analysis of what's happening in the current game.

Best to only use quotes where something was actually said.

I think your overegging how critical mick has been. I think he’s not taking a spoon never mind a scalpel to anything Kenny is trying from the reports I’ve heard.

Mick likes crosses. Unfortunately, the truth is, chances against Slovakia and Wales came off swinging in crosses. Our two best chances vs wales came off crosses. I’m not measuring Kenny vs mick and I support Kenny even if we fail to make the World Cup.

But I just despair at journos being dismissive of people with the track record For their country of Mick or Roy Keane for That matter. Just my take.

• Advertisement

Mick doesn't know the meaning of those word. Puke.

Really poor. You can’t be a real Irish fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

He certainly made sure to claim his "loyalty" bonus for finishing his contract while colleagues were being laid off.

He has a far too cosy relationship with the media and very rarely had any negative press in comparison to what was done on the pitch.
    The way they always called him Mick as opposed to O'Neill, or Kenny prior and after shows the relationship is different and in my opinion unprofessional but that's the journalists fault rather than his.

He was, for some strange reason, also due a bonus if we qualified for the euros despite failing in the qualifiers. O'Neill's nations league got us the playoff v Slovakia and Kenny managed that match.
    Do you think his loyalty would have extended to waiving that payment?

srfc d16 wrote: »
    He certainly made sure to claim his "loyalty" bonus for finishing his contract while colleagues were being laid off.

He has a far too cosy relationship with the media and very rarely had any negative press in comparison to what was done on the pitch.
    The way they always called him Mick as opposed to O'Neill, or Kenny prior and after shows the relationship is different and in my opinion unprofessional but that's the journalists fault rather than his.

He was, for some strange reason, also due a bonus if we qualified for the euros despite failing in the qualifiers. O'Neill's nations league got us the playoff v Slovakia and Kenny managed that match.
    Do you think his loyalty would have extended to waiving that payment?

So we tell the guy to fcuk off. Unfortunately a contract is a contract even an insane one like Mick, Robbie Keane and indeed Kenny have been offered.

I’m reminded looking at Irish fans on social media of the last line in Animal Farm. We are turning into england fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Maybe that's a bit harsh but I'm just sick of Mick.

Without even mentioning the war, I was sick of him by 2003.

However much of a fan of his you are it's GUBU that he's commentating on Ireland matches still!

He could slightly redeem himself by commenting positively on what Kenny's trying to do.

No chance.

"It's a simple game... git ball in box"

Jesus he's brutal.

If he's on Sky tonight it'll be watched with no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think anyone is questioning Mick's prior efforts or achievements with Ireland. Just questioning why he of all people is the one providing analysis on Sky. It's a bit greasy, come on. Did he really need that pay day that badly. Critiquing the efforts of your successor in the job - it appears to lack class from where I'm sitting.

You seem to be of the opinion that McCarthy is above criticism, which is a pretty Orwellian notion in and of itself.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is questioning Mick's prior efforts or achievements with Ireland. Just questioning why he of all people is the one providing analysis on Sky. It's a bit greasy, come on. Did he really need that pay day that badly. Critiquing the efforts of your successor in the job - it appears to lack class from where I'm sitting.

You seem to be of the opinion that McCarthy is above criticism, which is a pretty Orwellian notion in and of itself.

Let’s just express our dislike of the situation reasonably and not like the way Murph did. He’s owed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

His punditry is poor and he is being criticized for that.

You're right he did loads of great things and deserves respect for that.

I've listened to the last couple of games in silence due to Mick's approach. I also think it lacks the class Mick has shown throughout his career. I still think he's a hero, we're all just human.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Let’s just express our dislike of the situation reasonably and not like the way Murph did. He’s owed that.

Was he not at great pains to say how ridiculous it was that Mick was commentating on the game. I didnt see it as a go at Mick other than he should have a look at the situation hes put himself in. His point was valid, not very often you see managers commenting on their old team in the next game(s) after they left

Attilathehun - I’d see being told to get off the stage as a insult not a criticism.

Duff man- How you’d not see that as a “go” at mick is strange and basically incorrect.

Overall I think we are no different to england fans and media now and we have lost a decency we once had.. But fcuk it ..ive had my say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

So we tell the guy to fcuk off. Unfortunately a contract is a contract even an insane one like Mick, Robbie Keane and indeed Kenny have been offered.

I’m reminded looking at Irish fans on social media of the last line in Animal Farm. We are turning into england fans.

I didn't reply to him being told to f off, I replied to the mention of loyalty and class.
    I don't think it's classy to be commentating on the match straight after you left the job.
    I don't think it shows loyalty to Irish football to hold out for every penny when he knows that some of his former colleagues are on the dole queue now.
    I appreciate the contract is not his fault and he did not run the FAI in to the ground financially but we must have a different interpretation of loyalty and class.

Advertisement