Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's just highlighting that the Government isn't following any sort of logic now. A month ago pubs couldn't even open unless serving food, now you can't eat inside but can sit by the bar having a feed of pints.

This is going to get messy for the Government very quickly. They're all over the shop.

No you can't. Its outdoor only for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The 65 + daily cases are definitely moving the wrong way.
    If the trend continues it won't be long before difficult calls will have to be made regarding hospital care as we just don't have the capacity.

528387.png

Your right, why are they not staying at home watching Netflix. Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

lobbylad wrote: »
    "The level three restrictions will come into place from midnight tonight and last for three weeks until midnight on October 27th"

I wish they'd stop using midnight as the trigger time for restrictions, it's ambiguous. Using something like 1am would be far more clear.

There will be many folks who view "midnight on the 27th" as at the midnight of the 26th/27th and many who take it to be the midnight at 27th/28th!

Now I'm getting confused!
    Fully agreed. Midnight is a stupid deadline to set for anything. See it all the time on job ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So midnight tomorrow then for three weeks

Minimum of 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

walshb wrote: »
    A lot of settings are removed. People can’t break rules where the environments/scenarios are removed..
    Such as? What environments / scenarios are removed that are big contributors? Shops ain't and we've banned indoor dining under Level 3.

The biggest setting is still going to be schools and family gatherings which aren't really more restricted under Level 4/5 (certainly Level 3+). If we adhered to these, we'd be doing fine and people not adhering to them won't do it under Level 4/5 either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No you can't. Its outdoor only for both.

My mistake, read contradictory information on Twitter. That makes some sense then.

EDIT: Some more information now.

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1313174992457289733

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Exactly that’s what i posted a while back. March lockdown was a novelty. Different kettle of fish now

Speak for yourself

It was hell for me

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm confused by the levels plan, take care y'all, I need a break and not a kit kat break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

440Hertz wrote: »
    Possibly, but I think they may have struck a pretty good balance.

The key issue is enforcement and adherence to the sprit of the rules. There'd be absolutely no point in going to level 5 if we can't even manage to enforce or stick to the guidelines and rules at level 2 and 3.

I assume we're probably going to see another massive protest on Saturday and the Gardai will, once again, do absolutely nothing to prevent it. At this stage those protest are becoming normalised and the participants are assuming that there are never going to be any responses.

I think the government have put themselves in a position where they now need to address these issues. Which is also going to be difficult politically.

As I've said in other posts on this matter, I'm currently unemployed and receiving social welfare payments for the first time in my life - working continuously for 23 years. I've made sacrifices and continue to do so, trying my best to comply with all the various restrictions.

I just want to know that the government are serious about tackling the issue and managing the spread, at the moment I'm not sure what they're playing at.

If mass gatherings are still allowed to take place after tomorrow, I'm done supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

My little local where I had my cuppa and cake for 2 euro outside the other week, never really has more than that on the premises, while I was there it had four customers. No need for them to close again, which they should not have needed to in the first place for 7 months, but they decided it was unethical to charge 9 euros for a sandwich or cake. I felt perfectly safe there, taking into account that life is never risk free anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean here - I hope we're not back to the "It's fine, we just have a few large clusters" rhetoric.

No, we have a massive number of clusters in mainly private homes since the lockdown ended, it's there in the chart, and the mortality rate has not followed this trend.

Mortality rates correlate to clusters in residential care home settings and nothing else. The focus should be on keeping these settings Covid free, they're finite in number, we know where they all are. Lockdowns are like a game of whack-a-mole, knock it down in one place and it pops up somewhere else, they're a distracton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

My mistake, read contradictory information on Twitter. That makes some sense then.

EDIT: Some more information now.

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1313174992457289733

A web pub, what is that like virtual drinking?

"The level three restrictions will come into place from midnight tonight and last for three weeks until midnight on October 27th"

I wish they'd stop using midnight as the trigger time for restrictions, it's ambiguous. Using something like 1am would be far more clear.

There will be many folks who view "midnight on the 27th" as at the midnight of the 26th/27th and many who take it to be the midnight at 27th/28th!

And when do they clocks go backwards?:confused::D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the logic behind only outdoor drinking in a wet pub with a maximum of 15 as a blanket rule? It's quite an increase in strictness from the current unlimited indoor seating with appropriate distancing.

If people can't meet in controlled environments such as wet pubs and indoor restaurants they'll do it elsewhere in uncontrolled environments. Which will be indoors now because it's almost winter.

There's an absence of thought in all this about "substitution". "If I can't do this I'll do that". The idea that if you shut the pubs and restaurants people will remain at home at all times is nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

speckle wrote: »
    And when do they clocks go backwards?:confused::D

Officially at 2am on Sunday 25th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

marno21 wrote: »
    What's the logic behind only outdoor drinking in a wet pub with a maximum of 15 as a blanket rule? It's quite an increase in strictness from the current unlimited indoor seating with appropriate distancing.

If people can't meet in controlled environments such as wet pubs and indoor restaurants they'll do it elsewhere in uncontrolled environments. Which will be indoors now because it's almost winter.

There's an absence of thought in all this about "substitution". "If I can't do this I'll do that". The idea that if you shut the pubs and restaurants people will remain at home at all times is nonsense.

Watch the house parties grow again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So they aren't doing a press conference to explain why they overruled nphet and any take questions as to future plans possibly? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Level 3 will get extended and extended, Xmas will be dangled in front of people like a carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

That's right, I've welcomed in the New Year on Dec 30th, Jan 2nd, can't ever seem to get right.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’re all suffering because of actions of a small percentage of lunatics who won’t do what they’re asked and who put us all at risk.
    No matter what level we go to this same percentage will still do what they like.
    They behaved like they couldn’t care less on Saturday nigh in Dundalk. Hoarders of them charging around streets from pub to pub roaring their heads off and not a care on them.
    These people won’t obey rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Leo is going to be on Claire Byrne live later to answer questions.

Where the feck is Mehole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Leo V due on Claire Byrne tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

Officially at 2am on Sunday 25th of this month.

As if the days are not dark and dismal enough already :(
    Had totally forgotten about the clock changing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So they aren't doing a press conference to explain why they overruled nphet and any take questions as to future plans possibly? Wow.

Fcuk sake, between the **** show that is schools and this farce, our government don't have a shred of integrity or grit.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    My father died in an ICU only 2 years ago and of a routine illness, fate didn't work his way. He had 4 ICU nurses at his side 24/7 over a period of 2 weeks and he still passed away. He never had a chance but I remember being consoled by the fact that our health system was throwing everything it could at him. I couldn't imagine the same situation now. He was dying regardless but the level of skill and knowledge these nurses provided ensured that if there was any hope, he'd be there to grasp it.

If he had come unwell during these times, he wouldn't have had near the care that he did back in 2018 and although he was due to die anyway, I can't help but think of the numerous people that are in the situation I was in. Instead of 4 ICU nurses, they have one and instead of dealing with a man heading for death anyway, they're caring for someone who might be reliant on that second, third or fourth nurse. These nurses are Trojans and now that they're wound up in Covid cases, we'll see a large amount of our health professionals drain from normal care.

The direct covid data isn't the big picture here.
    sorry for your loss, but was that a public hospital in Ireland. We lost someone that year also, but only one icu nurse to patient in a public hospital, though if an emergency one of the other nurses would come over for a short while as they had their own patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If I was a journalist who allowed government sources to brief against NPHET I'd be feeling fairly used now. Don't even get to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

marno21 wrote: »

It's been like this in Dublin for over two weeks! Most of the country hasn't had much concern for us:p

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

Since the levels are being modified, how do I propose a change for wedding numbers to remain at 50. We've already uninvited 100 people, I'm sure we can handle 25 more, but it would be nice not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We’re all suffering because of actions of a small percentage of lunatics who won’t do what they’re asked and who put us all at risk.
    No matter what level we go to this same percentage will still do what they like.
    They behaved like they couldn’t care less on Saturday nigh in Dundalk. Hoarders of them charging around streets from pub to pub roaring their heads off and not a care on them.
    These people won’t obey rules.

Ah but this time the government are going to adopt a policy of greater enforcement!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Leo is going to be on Claire Byrne live later to answer questions.

Where the feck is Mehole?

In fairness Leo will only be there to butter himself up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement