Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eagle eye wrote: »
    Look if you sleep with your boss and get promoted twice while you are doing it you can expect it to be questioned. When the man is over double your age then it's even more questionable.

Doubling down on your misogyny again!

The fact that your default is that a woman can only get to a position of power by sleeping with someone, rather than virue of her own abilities, is a perfect example of a sexist attitude.
    The first time I pulled you up on this scummy position, you said you'd trawl through my previous posts to find me out for being hypocritical.

I'm still waiting on that proof

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Given that this thread will be moving onto its third version in the next day or so would anyone agree with me that we should have the original thread title back?? AFAIR it was stared by notobuse and it was titled '2020 US Presidental Election: aka the Trump Coronation'. I grew quite fond of that thread title over time and it would be great to see it in place for the election on November the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Given that this thread will be moving onto its third version in the next day or so would anyone agree with me that we should have the original thread title back?? AFAIR it was stared by notobuse and it was titled '2020 US Presidental Election: aka the Trump Coronation'. I grew quite fond of that thread title over time and it would be great to see it in place for the election on November the 3rd.

I agree, but change it to " The Biden Coronation"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Chris Christie and Sen. Ron Johnson now test positive. Christie was involved with the debate prep. So was Rudy. I wonder if the #IMPOTUS is a superspreader?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,661 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duploelabs wrote:
    Doubling down on your misogyny again!

duploelabs wrote:
    The fact that your default is that a woman can only get to a position of power by sleeping with someone.
    You see I made a statement of fact which is that Kamala Harris got promoted twice while sleeping with the man who promoted her. I didn't say anything else.

Your then go lying and say that I'm a misogynist and claim that I believe that all women must sleep their way to the top.

I'd like an apology for those lies. Or if not back it up with proof because I'm 100% certain I never said anything like that.

• Advertisement

I've called my own son the wrong name, I've got mixed up about the people I have met (similar names) how many does Biden meet a year?
    Big difference in calling your son the wrong name and calling him the President or telling the media that you had a long conversation with a man that's been dead twenty years.
    I guess you must be the exception that NEVER makes a mistake
    I said I do make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You see I made a statement of fact which is that Kamala Harris got promoted twice while sleeping with the man who promoted her. I didn't say anything else.

Your then go lying and say that I'm a misogynist and claim that I believe that all women must sleep their way to the top.

I'd like an apology for those lies. Or if not back it up with proof because I'm 100% certain I never said anything like that.

Your use of sleeping with instead of in a relationship shows how you view this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I agree, but change it to " The Biden Coronation"

Mr. Coronavirus Goes to Washington

You'll get no such apology from me for pointing out your statement that 'a woman can only get to a position of power' is misogynistic.

In fact, I think you don't understand the principle of misogyny.

BTW I'm still waiting on your proof that I'm a hypocrite

duploelabs wrote:
    You'll get no such apology from me for pointing out your statement that 'a woman can only get to a position of power' is misogynistic.
    Where did I say that, I'm going to report you if you don't back down and apologise.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote:
    Your use of sleeping with instead of in a relationship shows how you view this.
    In your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Sleeping with". What age are you? She was in a relationship with him. And you said you can "expect it to be questioned". Questioned by whom exactly, people who think like you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Cody montana

You said Biden had dementia and Harris had an affair.
    Both lies.
    We see your agenda.

Where did I say that, I'm going to report you if you don't back down and apologise.

Your words...

Look if you sleep with your boss and get promoted twice while you are doing it you can expect it to be questioned. When the man is over double your age then it's even more questionable

I await my ban

You said Biden had dementia and Harris had an affair. Both lies. We see your agenda.
    An affair is another word for a relationship kept under wraps. This relationship was kept quiet until the media got word of it.
    As for Biden, I never said he has dementia, I said it looked like he had to me. Iv already explained my reasons for that in this thread today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

An affair is another word for a relationship kept under wraps. This relationship was kept quiet until the media got word of it.
    As for Biden, I never said he has dementia, I said it looked like he had to me. Iv already explained my reasons for that in this thread today.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

From the words of his own doctor (or propagandist the way the press conference went), Trump knew about the diagnosis for days but still went campaigning and even to a fundraiser while having symptoms and receiving treatment.

They also never told the Biden team.

Unsurprised by the utter recklessness and how quickly their story is unraveling.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1312423170230677507?s=20

A person not going public in relation to a relationship is not an affair. I've dated a work colleague previously, we were private about it. It was not an affair. Also a woman dating a work colleague tends to be treated as far more tawdry by certain types so it's pretty understandable. You claiming it was an affair does a similar thing. Also the relationship was long over by the time she ran for office, there's no indication it was a relationship to further her career...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Here is the current timeline.

Even if he gets better, this is something that will haunt him for the rest of the election.

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1312428988212678656?s=20

Did Harris have an affair, does Biden have dementia?

• Advertisement

A person not going public in relation to a relationship is not an affair. I've dated a work colleague previously, we were private about it. It was not an affair. Also a woman dating a work colleague tends to be treated as far more tawdry by certain types so it's pretty understandable. You claiming it was an affair does a similar thing. Also the relationship was long over by the time she ran for office, there's no indication it was a relationship to further her career...
    I never said she slept her way to the top. How this whole thing came up was me wondering if Pence would go there in their debate.
    Fact is she got promoted twice while they were in a relationship. If you don't think that leaves it wide open to being questioned, as regards those two promotions, then our opinion on that differs.
    I never mentioned or suggested that she slept her way to the top. I have the utmost respect for women in the workplace and everywhere else too.
    I've seen women overlooked for promotion that imo should have gotten it and made my opinion known to those who selected men ahead of them.

The accusations being levelled against me in this thread are quite serious.

You seem like a very fair poster to me unlike some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Foxtrol wrote: »
    From the words of his own doctor (or propagandist the way the press conference went), Trump knew about the diagnosis for days but still went campaigning and even to a fundraiser while having symptoms and receiving treatment.

They also never told the Biden team.

Unsurprised by the utter recklessness and how quickly their story is unraveling.

This is the angle which allows Biden to refer to Trumps diagnosis and hammer home how badly and selfishly he has handled the whole pandemic without it looking like he is solely aiming to use Trumps illness against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

she wasn't promoted. she was a deputy DA that was appointed to two political positions on state boards. she quit her job as deputy DA and returned to it when those two positions ended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

duploelabs and eagle eye stop bickering. Drop it and move on please

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There were a few times in this debate Graham just seemed to signal he has been in government way too long, but this one was just silly to soundbyte:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1312554910769061888?s=20

New NBC/WSJ poll of 2020 registered voters

Biden 53% (+2 since last month)
    Trump 39% (-4)

Who did a better job in the debate?

Biden 49%
    Trump 24%
    -both equally 1%
    -neither good 17%
    -not sure 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So nothing major, cetainly within the MoE. What would be concerning is that there is no positive movement for Trump. He needs to be shifting the needle, starting to gain momentum. Part of what helps a race is a momentum for one side or the other. Trump certainly got a momentum in 2016, and despite HC being in the lead Trtump always looked like he was closing in.

This feels very different. Of course the Covid may well have an effect, but I doubt it will be a major one. People are so divided already, there are going to be very few that change from Biden to Trump just because Trump survived the virus.

And the dynamic has changed. For the last few weeks Trump has been blasting Biden for being holed up in his basement. People questioning Bidens energy etc. But now we have Trump holed up, for perfectly sound reasons but holed up nonetheless, in the hospital.

Trup was able to drive the line that a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Harris, but that possibility (for Pence) is more stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So nothing major, cetainly within the MoE. What would be concerning is that there is no positive movement for Trump. He needs to be shifting the needle, starting to gain momentum. Part of what helps a race is a momentum for one side or the other. Trump certainly got a momentum in 2016, and despite HC being in the lead Trtump always looked like he was closing in.

This feels very different. Of course the Covid may well have an effect, but I doubt it will be a major one. People are so divided already, there are going to be very few that change from Biden to Trump just because Trump survived the virus.

And the dynamic has changed. For the last few weeks Trump has been blasting Biden for being holed up in his basement. People questioning Bidens energy etc. But now we have Trump holed up, for perfectly sound reasons but holed up nonetheless, in the hospital.

Trup was able to drive the line that a vote for Biden is actually a vote for Harris, but that possibility (for Pence) is more stark.

The race should really be naturally tightening up though. Biden is still polling nationally at +7 or 8 points. I think Biden will win but it doesn't seem plausible that he will win by this much. Most models have long term tightening built into the code script, so long as the polls show at least somewhat closer race. But less than a month out, if anything, Biden is extending his lead.

I don't think Trump getting is Covid-19 is good news at all for his campaign either. Whatever about him not getting sympathy votes, it puts Covid-19 front and center of the political discourse in the run up to the election. Trump is hemorrhaging votes among white suburban and working class women and among the elderly, two voting blocks he won in 2016 by 2 and 11 points respectively. Ipsos ran a poll there showing Covid-19 as the most important issue facing America, while pretty much every poll shows an opinion that Trump has handled the pandemic crisis poorly. And that would particularly apply to those two voter demographics.

To be honest, a email server like scandal seems to be the thing that will save Trump now. But even still, as you have said, there is so little undecideds left, it may not be enough.

letowski wrote: »
    The race should really be naturally tightening up though. Biden is still polling nationally at +7 or 8 points. I think Biden will win but it doesn't seem plausible that he will win by this much. Most models have long term tightening built into the code script, so long as the polls show at least somewhat closer race. But less than a month out, if anything, Biden is extending his lead.

I don't think Trump getting is Covid-19 is good news at all for his campaign either. Whatever about him not getting sympathy votes, it puts Covid-19 front and center of the political discourse in the run up to the election. Trump is hemorrhaging votes among white suburban and working class women and among the elderly, two voting blocks he won in 2016 by 2 and 11 points respectively. Ipsos ran a poll there showing Covid-19 as the most important issue facing America, while pretty much every poll shows an opinion that Trump has handled the pandemic crisis poorly. And that would particularly apply to those two voter demographics.

To be honest, a email server like scandal seems to be the thing that will save Trump now. But even still, as you have said, there is so little undecideds left, it may not be enough.
    Biden up to 10 points now nationally according to Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/biden-leads-by-10-points-as-majority-of-americans-say-trump-could-have-avoided-coronavirus-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN26P0DB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

duploelabs wrote: »
    I’d be interested to see in a few days when the Covid stuff has been about how the polls change. It’s hard to know how it’s going to play out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement