Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

beauf wrote: »
    What price is the 7 seat Tesla? :eek:

Mid 30’s for a 5year old at least. And that’s bringing it from the Uk.
    Not many over here.

The good thing is that you can add the additional 2 rear seats to the standard 5 seater version and you still have storage in the frunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's yonks away from existing yet. Motorway maybe, but that's no good to anybody.

I am not sure that's accurate, definitely high levels of automation are already present in the USA upper end cars , I am not a self driving car fanatic but look at something like Chevy Openpilot as an example of a non Tesla thing that's already on the market for a while.

My point isn't that self driving cars are going to be the majority in five years, it's that new cars at the price point EV's seem to be at will have a feature set that's a major selling point in probably two or three years which will hit the value of today's EV's hard and importantly for the discussion, will hit them harder than petrol because of the higher price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gumbo wrote: »
    You have no electricity in your house?

Bit of a smart answer tbh.

My last two rented places would be impossible to charge at if I had an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

vw id4 , model Y (7 seater version out soon) are in production.
    tesla battery day was a biggish deal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_yp1jJMDPg
    newer batteries will last for years and years without dropping capacity. all that said, there are people who will crossover earlier and be happy and people later and be just as happy. cheap to run and very little maintenance/moving parts are compelling. I'd like to see more takeup of ebikes with good range but it's not really and option outside of cities as it's too dangerous on country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I am not sure that's accurate, definitely high levels of automation are already present in the USA upper end cars , I am not a self driving car fanatic but look at something like Chevy Openpilot as an example of a non Tesla thing that's already on the market for a while.

My point isn't that self driving cars are going to be the majority in five years, it's that new cars at the price point EV's seem to be at will have a feature set that's a major selling point in probably two or three years which will hit the value of today's EV's hard and importantly for the discussion, will hit them harder than petrol because of the higher price point.

I've done thousands of kms in my car with my feet on the floor and my hands on my knees. Just a flick of my thumb every thirty seconds or so to let the car know that you're still awake.

The Openpilot thing is interesting and can be fitted to loads of cars, mine included, that will remove the nag every thirty seconds, giving the possibility of hours of driving without any driver input.

It takes a while to build up the trust to let the car take over, and many drivers just wouldn't do it. But I've used it a lot and trust it about 90%. The other 10% is not because of any failing in the car, just my nervous system.

The truth is that automated cars are much safer than cars controlled by humans. Like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We used to have phones that lasted weeks.

Mine still does. Because it's a 10 year old smartphone not made by Apple, I was recently able to just pop off the rear hatch and pop in a new battery.

Bit of a smart answer tbh.

My last two rented places would be impossible to charge at if I had an EV.

Not really. The OP made a rubbish statement that the infrastructure is not there for everybody to swap to EV.

Apartment blocks are a big issue, especially existing. New blocks getting built have the provisions in place for EV charging nowadays which should help EV owners in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of new developments don't have parking. That solves that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Infrastructure is not near good enough for the few cars we have now, like the poor guy waiting on me for 23 minutes in his 90 000 euro car.

• Advertisement

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Infrastructure is not near good enough for the few cars we have now, like the poor guy waiting on me for 23 minutes in his 90 000 euro car.

He must have been very comfortable though...

Where?
    The only developments with no parking are student developments.
    All Residential developments are required to have parking.

kanuseeme wrote: »

I suppose that’s the crux of the problem. There are those that need public charging and those that don’t.

Probably watching Netflix :)

Where?

I was being facetious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Where?
    I was being facetious.

Just to clarify, the guidelines have changed. Parking is no longer required for apartments depending on the availability of public transport.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/design_standards_for_new_apartments_-_guidelines_for_planning_authorities_2018.pdf

What price is the 7 seat Tesla? :eek:

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/modelx/design#battery

€89,000

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The fast charging Tesla domestic chargers are 22kW (which will require three phase to supply it). Undoubtedly EVs will work for some and there will possibly be more than one EV per household. The requirement for fast charging will undoubtedly go up due to the convenience factor driven by consumers. Hence the power requirement will also increase as time progresses.

Convenience factor when charging at home is all about the plug and forget, not plug and charge quickly. It's worth noting that most EVs max out at 11kW when charging over AC. Going back to my 8 hours energy a week calculation, I suspect most families with electric showers use them for over 8 hours a week. Where's the moral panic over electric showers destroying the grid?

elperello wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the guidelines have changed. Parking is no longer required for apartments depending on the availability of public transport.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/design_standards_for_new_apartments_-_guidelines_for_planning_authorities_2018.pdf

That’s has always been the same. I built temple street west apartments back in 2007 and we didn’t have to provide any parking due to the city centre location and proximity to Luas and other public transport options.

It wasn’t and still is not an option for urban developments outside of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'm guessing Tesla will have vanished in 5 years, wouldn't want to be sitting with the 80 grand equivalent of a Rover 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Jizique

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Drax?
    The UK’s largest coal generator before it started calling itself biomass and importing trees from the US to burn in its plant? That Drax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

You need to go back to electricians school.

Electric shower pulls 9kw.
    My Tesla pulls 7kw.

The 150kw charging your talking about are at Tesla super chargers. No domestic setting in the world will have this set up.

The higher rated fast charging Tesla domestic chargers are 22kW (which will require three phase to supply it). Undoubtedly EVs will work for some and there will possibly be more than one EV per household sharing the connection which will presumably double the charging time. The requirement for fast charging will undoubtedly go up due to the convenience factor driven by consumers. Hence the power requirement will also increase as time progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

celtic_oz wrote: »
    90% are legacy oil burners :eek:
    Outside of Dublin, you'll have four probems;
    1. Finding a charging station.
    2. Finding a working charging station before your battery dies.
    3. Finding a working charging station before your battery dies that doesn't already have cars attached to it.
    4. Finding a working charging station before your battery dies that doesn't already have cars attached to it, and there's not a car sitting next to it waiting to recharge.

They're good for short trips. Useless in Ireland if you have to refuel along the way.
    Possibly cold, if there's no electricity for the heater :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

the_syco wrote: »
    They're good for short trips. Useless in Ireland if you have to refuel along the way.

There is a good selection of EVs with ranges above 300km now, most of them come with access to the Ionity network or the Tesla supercharger network. The great thing about Ionity, is thanks to high prices they are quite likely to be available when you need them. You're opinion of EVs seems to be based in 2015.

liamog wrote: »
    There is a good selection of EVs with ranges above 300km now, most of them come with access to the Ionity network or the Tesla supercharger network. The great thing about Ionity, is thanks to high prices they are quite likely to be available when you need them. You're opinion of EVs seems to be based in 2015.

We need a lot more chargers than currently installed.

Currently, it's just not good enough.

That’s has always been the same. I built temple street west apartments back in 2007 and we didn’t have to provide any parking due to the city centre location and proximity to Luas and other public transport options.

It wasn’t and still is not an option for urban developments outside of the city centre.

The guidelines I quoted are from 2018 and state -

Intermediate Urban Locations:
    4.21 In suburban/urban locations served by public transport or close to town centres or employment areas and particularly for housing schemes with more than 45 dwellings per hectare net (18 per acre), planning authorities must consider a reduced overall car parking standard and apply an appropriate maximum car parking standard.

This trend away from dedicated parking spaces will not suit EV owners.

The higher rated fast charging Tesla domestic chargers are 22kW (which will require three phase to supply it). Undoubtedly EVs will work for some and there will possibly be more than one EV per household sharing the connection which will presumably double the charging time. The requirement for fast charging will undoubtedly go up due to the convenience factor driven by consumers. Hence the power requirement will also increase as time progresses.

I had a 22kw capable charger in my house. Because of the single phase connection, 7kw is the max it would output.

I don’t think your 3ph connection can even supply a Tesla supercharger.

Not many houses in this country would have 3ph connections and those that do would be one offs. Nothing in the urban developments being built.

For 2 EV’s, you can charge one at 7kw and one on the 13a granny cable over night. Or both on the lower 3.6kw options.

elperello wrote: »
    The guidelines I quoted are from 2018 and state -

Intermediate Urban Locations:
    4.21 In suburban/urban locations served by public transport or close to town centres or employment areas and particularly for housing schemes with more than 45 dwellings per hectare net (18 per acre), planning authorities must consider a reduced overall car parking standard and apply an appropriate maximum car parking standard.

This trend away from dedicated parking spaces will not suit EV owners.

Yes, your document is dated 2018.
    But the same rules were in play over 15 years ago. The option to remove parking was always there.

The people that have cars will be buying outside the city centre based on my experience in the planning and construction sector. And these developments will have parking.

We need a lot more chargers than currently installed.

Currently, it's just not good enough.

Having not had to wait on a rapid charger in the last 12 months whilst doing a long journey, I can only disagree with you. The situation has improved dramatically since eCars started billing for chargers.
    For 2 EV’s, you can charge one at 7kw and one on the 13a granny cable over night. Or both on the lower 3.6kw options.

Or far more likely, just charge on alternate nights. Are many people covering 2,300km between them per week :D

• Advertisement

Yes, your document is dated 2018.
    But the same rules were in play over 15 years ago. The option to remove parking was always there.

The people that have cars will be buying outside the city centre based on my experience in the planning and construction sector. And these developments will have parking.

These guidelines apply outside the city centre.

I imagine that developers will go for the minimum no. of parking spaces.

Do you think this would affect the viability of EVs for the residents?

Advertisement