Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Lads, I'll let you in on a secret. Lewis plays politics. He has done this since monaco 07 and will be doing it until he's retired. He's deliberately said this to put pressure onto the FIA and it's worked by getting the points lifted.

Great win by Bottas yesterday, showed just how good he is this season by never even remotely challenging unless Lewis is severely penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Racing Point had some updated parts at this weekend. They only had one set and they decided to give them to Lance stroll. RP said the updates were major and we're worth 3-4tenths per lap.

Either the updates didn't work or RP picked the wrong car to put them on because without the updates Perez qualified and finished 4th. Stroll qualified 13 and crashed out on the first lap.

In case anyone's wondering, that's what favouring one driver over the other looks like. Not this Vettel-Ferrari conspiracy theory that Vettel is performing poorly therefore Ferrari is screwing him on purpose (even though it makes them look bad).

LeClerc qualified 11th and finished 6th.
    Vettel qualified 15th and finished 13th.

barryribs wrote: »
    Lads, I'll let you in on a secret. Lewis plays politics. He has done this since monaco 07 and will be doing it until he's retired. He's deliberately said this to put pressure onto the FIA and it's worked by getting the points lifted.

Great win by Bottas yesterday, showed just how good he is this season by never even remotely challenging unless Lewis is severely penalised.

I think there might be a small bit of sense to what Lewis said. In the past the politics involved would mean rules were interpreted based on the driver and team. A high profile driver wouldn't be sanctioned for the same offense as a new driver. This came up in Monza when LeClerc's time was deleted for exceeding track limits.

The BBC guys commented that in the recent past, they wouldn't have deleted a ferrari time in monza. They would have Ben looking the other way and missed the infringement. Back then the world champion probably wouldn't have been penalised for breaking a small rule about where he did his practice starts.

The human (and the corrupt) element has been taken out of some of these decisions in recent years. But as we see by Lewis penalty points being removed, they still sometimes interpret the rules based on who the driver is and the consequences of the penalty.

The 5 live guys also commented on speculation in the paddock that Honda was also affected by the Ferrari engine rule clarification last year. I had forgotten that Honda was a serious engine towards the end of last year. Gasley out dragged Lewis on the long straight in Brazil towards the end.

And their pace has gone backwards relative to then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Racing Point had some updated parts at this weekend. They only had one set and they decided to give them to Lance stroll. RP said the updates were major and we're worth 3-4tenths per lap.

Either the updates didn't work or RP picked the wrong car to put them on because without the updates Perez qualified and finished 4th. Stroll qualified 13 and crashed out on the first lap.

In case anyone's wondering, that's what favouring one driver over the other looks like. Not this Vettel-Ferrari conspiracy theory that Vettel is performing poorly therefore Ferrari is screwing him on purpose (even though it makes them look bad).

Some of that is correct . Perez did out qualify stroll , but Didn't strolls car have a problem and he missed out Q2 (over heating I think ) . And he did crash out but more Knocked out by LeClerc after he had made up places at the start he was right up with Perez . Cannot really Judge here if the Upgrades worked here . They did appear to work Mugello .

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    Some of that is correct . Perez did out qualify stroll , but Didn't strolls car have a problem and he missed out Q2 (over heating I think ) . And he did crash out but more Knocked out by LeClerc after he had made up places at the start he was right up with Perez . Cannot really Judge here if the Upgrades worked here . They did appear to work Mugello .

Actually, that's all true. I was listening on the radio so didn't see the crash for myself. Perez was ahead in practice all weekend and came around 5th in each practice. Beat Stroll by 0.1s, 0.7s and 0.5s in each practice session. But that's only practice, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stroll missed the second run in q2 due to car problems and then was tagged by leclerc during the race

Vettel was made to run long to help leclerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Conspiricy theory you say!

Explain this then!
    Vettel used as road block by Ferrari

And regarding the qualifying positions, did you even watch the sessions? Vettel crashed out and ended up 15th.

flazio wrote: »
    He's still McLarens last World Champion and they've had two other World Champions from other teams.
    Look, we could go on forever trying to destroy Lewis Hamilton but it won't make much difference in the course of history.

So what?
    Kimi is still Ferraris last wdc. What is that supposed to prove?

vectra wrote: »
    Conspiricy theory you say!

Explain this then!
    Vettel used as road block by Ferrari

And regarding the qualifying positions, did you even watch the sessions? Vettel crashed out and ended up 15th.

Yeah that article is pretty conclusive that the delay in pitting Vettel was the reason he didn't finish much higher up. It's a bit light on detail so I had a look at stats to see when they pitted and it turns out LeClerc pitted on lap 28 and they held Vettel off until lap..... 30. 2 laps. Not the mitigating factor you'd think from reading the article.

Yes, it's a conspiracy theory and the article you linked to demonstrates it. It assumes, as have you, that the conspiracy against Vettel is so prevalent that it would be ridiculous to even have to demonstate it.

I imagine Vettel's crash and starting position is someone else's fault too.

They guy's just having a mare these last 2 years spanning 3 seasons.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned it earlier, the weather in Germany could be a huge deal in 2 weeks. At the moment the long term weather forecast for next week says 11 degrees and rain every day.

What would happen if it's too cold for the tyres? Could they race in 11 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

If Bernie was still about they would have a hair dryers out heating the track .

If its cold do they move to the Intermediates ?? as alternate to Slicks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just means the softs would last longer.

Might even see a 3 stopper,

Soft Medium Soft

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

afatbollix wrote: »
    Just means the softs would last longer.

Might even see a 3 stopper,

Soft Medium Soft

That's a 2 stopper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"But that's OK. It's not like I haven't faced adversity before."

Can anyone really remember when Hamilton has had to face any of this before in his career? I am being honest here.

Started in F1 with McLaren, then to Merc with a car tailor made for the rules...I am struggling to think of a time. Maybe this is how he works his ego, he has to make up a struggle of sorts.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Can anyone really remember when Hamilton has had to face any of this before in his career? I am being honest here.

Started in F1 with McLaren, then to Merc with a car tailor made for the rules...I am struggling to think of a time. Maybe this is how he works his ego, he has to make up a struggle of sorts.

Yeah i think that's it. It looks like he uses that as motivation to spur him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

There was that time in 2016 when his team-mate was allowed to race him, and was even allowed to have good mechanics, much to Lewis' dismay. They put a stop to that afterwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Partnering a defending double world champion in your rookie year of F1, and getting a podium on your first race would be fairly adversarial

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Hamilton living rent free in plenty peoples heads it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Hamilton has always been in by far the best car. How did Vettel win titles?

He battled 2 seasons (winning 1 close the second) with Rosberg.

2013 Merc were nowhere near, Hamilton outscored Rosberg.
    2012 he outscored Button in a poor MacLaren, despite 5 DNFs.

In 2017 it was a good battle with Vettle/Ferrari all season I thought.

• Advertisement

Same as he is constantly moaning about his tyres, to give him some self belief that he is super human to win with a bad set. :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

If Hamilton has always been in by far the best car. How did Vettel win titles?

He battled 2 seasons (winning 1 close the second) with Rosberg.

2013 Merc were nowhere near, Hamilton outscored Rosberg.
    2012 he outscored Button in a poor MacLaren, despite 5 DNFs.

In 2017 it was a good battle with Vettle/Ferrari all season I thought.

No one said he's always had the best car. The knock on him is that he's a moaner, not that he's a bad driver. He is incredibly unlikeable and I think the sky sports hamilton channel does him no favours with the neutrals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

duploelabs wrote: »
    Partnering a defending double world champion in your rookie year of F1, and getting a podium on your first race would be fairly adversarial

In one of the best cars on the grid, straight into it. Such adversity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

News just in, most drivers are moaners!!!! It's not specific to Hamilton. He just gets more coverage because he is English on an English TV channel and he could possibly become the most successful Formula 1 driver of all time.

Some posters on here need to get a grip. It's the pot calling the kettle black with all the moaning about Hamilton in the last few posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

recyclebin wrote: »
    News just in, most drivers are moaners!!!! It's not specific to Hamilton. He just gets more coverage because he is English on an English TV channel and he could possibly become the most successful Formula 1 driver of all time.

Some posters on here need to get a grip. It's the pot calling the kettle black with all the moaning about Hamilton in the last few posts.

He's unlikeable Hamilton, but hes the best driver since Schumacher for sure

Pity Max or Charles dont have the machine to challenge him like when a young Montoya had that monster BMW against Schumacher

We had a few races last year with Charles in a straight line monster putting it to Hamilton at Monza, he didn't like that with his quicker than us radio calls, need more power man, tyres are gone

Hamilton as great as he is got frustrated easier than Senna and Schumacher, bit of a Mike Tyson to him, looking for excuses and being beatable if someone wasn't afraid

Still some driver though

If anyone wants a good laugh watch that Monza 19 race

Hamilton all over Charles lap after lap after lap, Hamilton makes a mistake and then it was Bottas turn to go after Charles, Mercedes tell Bottas hunt him down 12 laps left and he runs wide at the next corner :-)

Hopeless

https://youtu.be/1YKI0zM36Tc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

barryribs wrote: »
    No one said he's always had the best car. The knock on him is that he's a moaner, not that he's a bad driver. He is incredibly unlikeable and I think the sky sports hamilton channel does him no favours with the neutrals either.

I thought that it was he has never faced adversary in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

recyclebin wrote: »

Lads here forgetting Max is always moaning as are nearly ALL the drivers, it's what they do. As for the Bottas love, he wouldn't win anything unless Hamilton is out.

This pretty much sums up what the stewards think of Hamilton :D:D

Salo hits back at Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Got to love the Finns for saying it like it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, even a very early years Fry and Laurie took the p!ss out of the phenomina

the underlying reason i believe this has exercised a lot of these folks is that they disagree with someone talking a stance about equality. I wonder why that is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement