Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yeah, even a very early years Fry and Laurie took the p!ss out of the phenomina

the underlying reason i believe this has exercised a lot of these folks is that they disagree with someone talking a stance about equality. I wonder why that is

Because we're all closet racists, obviously :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OSI wrote: »
    Yep, typical Hamilton.

Literally no other driver complains about stewards, ever.

https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-vettel-accuses-stewards-of-stealing-GmbBSjAgRju4VnOIUMw9fg?iid=WZPD1-P2S_S7AYChVo1JMQ

Thank god we have a dedicated Hamilton thread for all the serial bellyachers. :rolleyes:

To be fair,
    When that happened it was quite obvious what Hamilton was up to,
    Only an idiot would go for a gap in that situation.
    I am not an out and out Vettel fanboi, but I do like him and his straight up "how it is" attitude.
    If you recall that incident, it barely happened and Hamilton was on the blower moaning.

We know all driver moan at times. But come on. Hamilton takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hamilton last year at Monaco was a whole new level of whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Because we're all closet racists, obviously :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's fine and I'm sure that's a really funny joke, even the umpteenth time, when someone ironically brings up racism apropos of nothing. But do remember that nobody has seriously suggested racism has anything to do with anything anyone is discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

vectra wrote: »
    To be fair,
    When that happened it was quite obvious what Hamilton was up to,
    Only an idiot would go for a gap in that situation.
    I am not an out and out Vettel fanboi, but I do like him and his straight up "how it is" attitude.
    If you recall that incident, it barely happened and Hamilton was on the blower moaning.

We know all driver moan at times. But come on. Hamilton takes the biscuit.

Vettel at Mexico 2016, that takes the biscuit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Poor Binotto. Stranded at the roadside with his Alfa Romeo. No idea why though

https://www.facebook.com/245725486319605/posts/657991861759630/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Probably because its an Alfa Romeo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anjobe wrote: »
    Vettel at Mexico 2016, that takes the biscuit!

Different scenario completely.

vectra wrote: »
    Different scenario completely.

Not really.

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »

Oooh harsh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ran out of fuel maybe. Fair play to you for knowing its him. Did you know or did someone else post it and know?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

PsychoPete wrote: »

More reliable than VW do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Ran out of fuel maybe. Fair play to you for knowing its him. Did you know or did someone else post it and know?

It appeared in my news feed that it was Binotto stopped at the roadside. Nothing else other than that I'm afraid.

I'm starting to feel for the man. It's like the opposite of King Midas. Everything he touches turns to sh1t.

Ms

This is worth a watch if you have not seen it especially for the last bit on the bikes. Its DC and MW in the Red Bull offices and factory

https://youtu.be/1lVO8YmANcY

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Whatever about whether or not it was "too dangerous" or not, Liuzzi should have gotten a race ban for going at speed under safety car. Most of the rest got lucky being allowed continue but there should be no comeback for people 30+ seconds later who went and passed the pit lane when people at the other end of the straight were aquaplaning off because they chose to be on the wrong tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Reverse Grid Nonsense is apparently dead, McLaren join Williams and Mercedes in objecting which automatically blocks the proposal going forwards. The fact all 3 will be using Merc engines in 2021, may or may not be a factor ;)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Reverse Grid Nonsense is apparently dead, McLaren join Williams and Mercedes in objecting which automatically blocks the proposal going forwards. The fact all 3 will be using Merc engines in 2021, may or may not be a factor ;)

That's a pity. it would have been a great addition to the race and would have banished the boring race day where Lewis starts at the front and scarpers into the distance. Max is probably one of the most exciting drivers and he usually sits in a nether zone about 10 seconds from the cars in front and behind.

Mercedes don't want it and made their customers vote against it precisely because it would have been less predictable for them. Maybe you're delighted with the way F1 works at the moment where a Mercedes wins every race unless there's a mechanical failure or a penalty, but I'm not thrilled about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That's a pity. it would have been a great addition to the race and would have banished the boring race day where Lewis starts at the front and scarpers into the distance. Max is probably one of the most exciting drivers and he usually sits in a nether zone about 10 seconds from the cars in front and behind.

Mercedes don't want it and made their customers vote against it precisely because it would have been less predictable for them. Maybe you're delighted with the way F1 works at the moment where a Mercedes wins every race unless there's a mechanical failure or a penalty, but I'm not thrilled about it.

F1 is a race decided on meritocracy, not a randomised farce. All the drivers agree with Mercedes, not that they get a vote, it is against the DNA of the sport. Mercedes won't dominate forever.

F1 is a race decided on meritocracy, not a randomised farce. All the drivers agree with Mercedes, not that they get a vote, it is against the DNA of the sport. Mercedes won't dominate forever.

What we see in the race every Sunday is pure meritocracy. The fastest driver is in the fastest car and he starts at the front and drives away from the field and ends the race 20 seconds ahead if there are no safety cars. Maybe you think that's great craic but i think we can do better. We want exciting races and that's not necessarily meritocracy.
    Also, not randomised grids, reverse grids. Watching Bottas, Max and Lewis start at the back of the grid and have to make their way up through the grid would be great to watch. It would absolutely be about merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Good, reverse grids have no business being in F1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What we see in the race every Sunday is pure meritocracy. The fastest driver is in the fastest car and he starts at the front and drives away from the field and ends the race 20 seconds ahead if there are no safety cars. Maybe you think that's great craic but i think we can do better. We want exciting races and that's not necessarily meritocracy.
    Also, not randomised grids, reverse grids. Watching Bottas, Max and Lewis start at the back of the grid and have to make their way up through the grid would be great to watch. It would absolutely be about merit.

This ain't the WWE, it's not sports entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

It would be more correct to say, the fastest car with whoever happens to be driving it. In the past when in relatively equal cars to other drivers he showed himself to be nowhere near the fastest.

A meritocracy would be where all competitors were competing equally on merit, and F1 hasn't been that since Mercedes forced through favourable rules that they had a head start on in 2014 and all the limits on development and testing ever since have prevented anyone else from having a genuine opportunity to catch up.

Mercedes turn up with the best machinery every race and automatically win. The only tiny sliver of human element still involved is basic things like knowing when you're allowed to pit or where you're allowed to do practice starts, and they haven't exactly shown themselves to be all that hot when it comes to that.

This ain't the WWE, it's not sports entertainment

Right. At the moment I'm not even sure it's entertainment. But it's certainly supposed to be entertaining. Amazing to see people support a vote against a change that would make it more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Right. At the moment I'm not even sure it's entertainment. But it's certainly supposed to be entertaining. Amazing to see people support a vote against a change that would make it more entertaining.

Whether you find it entertaining would be down the the preference of the individual watcher. I can't stand watching golf for example, probably down to my lack of knowledge of the nuance of the sport but many find it entertaining to watch

quokula wrote: »
    It would be more correct to say, the fastest car with whoever happens to be driving it. In the past when in relatively equal cars to other drivers he showed himself to be nowhere near the fastest.

A meritocracy would be where all competitors were competing equally on merit, and F1 hasn't been that since Mercedes forced through favourable rules that they had a head start on in 2014 and all the limits on development and testing ever since have prevented anyone else from having a genuine opportunity to catch up.

Mercedes turn up with the best machinery every race and automatically win. The only tiny sliver of human element still involved is basic things like knowing when you're allowed to pit or where you're allowed to do practice starts, and they haven't exactly shown themselves to be all that hot when it comes to that.

So are you advocating for spec cars so we can see which driver is most merits the championship?

Obviously the competition is about which driver-car combo is fastest and that wouldn't change with reverse grids. The only difference is that the fastest car-driver combos would start furthest back so they would have to overtake most cars to prove they're the best.

Genuinely fascinating that people would be so opposed to such a great change. F1 has a good track record of trying things and changing back if things don't work out as planned. If there's one thing F1 fans dislike more than the current state of f1, it's any change to the current state of f1.

Whether you find it entertaining would be down the the preference of the individual watcher. I can't stand watching golf for example, probably down to my lack of knowledge of the nuance of the sport but many find it entertaining to watch

Read the recent race thread. Loads of posts on a Saturday after quali about how boring the race will be, e.g. talking about sleeping through the race. dozen's of posts on sunday saying it was another boring race.

quokula wrote: »

The only thing more tedious than the racing this season is this specious diatribe.

Ms

Read the recent race thread. Loads of posts on a Saturday after quali about how boring the race will be, e.g. talking about sleeping through the race. dozen's of posts on sunday saying it was another boring race.

Yes that's true but the two races before it were much better and much more entertaining so it can be done without silly reverse grids. Tell me this exactly how would you decide in a reverse grid who goes at the back and who at the front? Surely if Hamilton, Max or any other driver knew that getting pole meant they would go the the back of the grid then why would they bother?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes that's true but the two races before it were much better and much more entertaining so it can be done without silly reverse grids. Tell me this exactly how would you decide in a reverse grid who goes at the back and who at the front? Surely if Hamilton, Max or any other driver knew that getting pole meant they would go the the back of the grid then why would they bother?

several options.

give points for qualifying to make it worth their while. no time in qualifying then start from pit lane

use the results from previous race

championship order reversed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement