Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Yea I am cancelling my upgrade ATM, at least the 500 was more stable for gaming.

...and since cancelling the connection has been rock solid! (I am still on the 1GB plan for the 30 day cancelation period)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Is there WPS on this modem??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

FaganJr wrote: »

Yes, above the ethernet ports.

Link to manual PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭CoBo55

First thing I disable on any Router/Modem I've ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

CoBo55 wrote:
    First thing I disable on any Router/Modem I've ever owned.

Why??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup#Vulnerabilities
    Its considered a bit of an open door onto your WLAN.

Honestly though UPnP is the danger, not WPS.

ED E wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup#Vulnerabilities
    Its considered a bit of an open door onto your WLAN.

Honestly though UPnP is the danger, not WPS.

I disable that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Nearly 5 weeks later I received my router and they provisioned it with a blank update so I can't use it, I tried to plug back in my old white router and that won't work either now. So I'm a day and a half without connection, no assistance from Virgin other than to say "wait for the order to be reprocessed". I will highlight that's the 6th time it's been reprocessed.

Both my partner and I are hotspotting off our phones to work from home and you know I'll have to pay for these days despite having no service. Farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

allanroche wrote: »
    Nearly 5 weeks later I received my router and they provisioned it with a blank update so I can't use it, I tried to plug back in my old white router and that won't work either now. So I'm a day and a half without connection, no assistance from Virgin other than to say "wait for the order to be reprocessed". I will highlight that's the 6th time it's been reprocessed.

Both my partner and I are hotspotting off our phones to work from home and you know I'll have to pay for these days despite having no service. Farce.

You definitely haven't had a positive experience.

You certainly can withdraw from your contract after such a poor show from VM.
    Are there alternative providers that you can go to?

deravarra wrote: »
    You definitely haven't had a positive experience.

You certainly can withdraw from your contract after such a poor show from VM.
    Are there alternative providers that you can go to?

Unfortunately not, Virgin have monopoly over our area and my only alternative is mobile broadband which is of no use because I have to download massive files from my works server.

I have raised an official complaint with Virgin now and if I don't hear from them quickly I will be pressing ahead to ComReg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

allanroche wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, Virgin have monopoly over our area and my only alternative is mobile broadband which is of no use because I have to download massive files from my works server.

I have raised an official complaint with Virgin now and if I don't hear from them quickly I will be pressing ahead to ComReg.

I would be getting onto their loyalty department after this sorry episode has been sorted and asking for a hefty discount.

I have done in the past, and while I didn't get 100% satisfaction, I would have considered the results pretty satisfactory.

Hope everything gets sorted asap.

deravarra wrote: »
    I would be getting onto their loyalty department after this sorry episode has been sorted and asking for a hefty discount.

I have done in the past, and while I didn't get 100% satisfaction, I would have considered the results pretty satisfactory.

Hope everything gets sorted asap.

This is actually a really good idea, I will see how it plays out as I am currently on hold with them. Thanks deravarra!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Quick question - I have a Hub 3 and upgraded to Naked 500Mb. Should I have been issued with a Hub 4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Quick question - I have a Hub 3 and upgraded to Naked 500Mb. Should I have been issued with a Hub 4 ?

No, I'm on 500 Mbps package with Hub 3. I regularly get just over 510 Mbps down and 51 Mbs up on wired speed tests.

Any word on them increasing the upload speed to 100 Mbs? That's the only reason I'd upgrade.

MugsGame wrote: »
    No, I'm on 500 Mbps package with Hub 3. I regularly get just over 510 Mbps down and 51 Mbs up on wired speed tests.

I have just done 3 speed tests there over the last hour. I am getting between 65-75Mb download and 45Mb upload on a Cat6 wired connection.

I feel a chat with Virgin coming up tomorrow ! My service has deteriorated massively since they upgraded me last week from the 240Mb product

I have just done 3 speed tests there over the last hour. I am getting between 65-75Mb download and 45Mb upload on a Cat6 wired connection.

I feel a chat with Virgin coming up tomorrow ! My service has deteriorated massively since they upgraded me last week from the 240Mb product

I had similar consistently poorer speeds when I first upgraded but I didn't investigate it too carefully until lockdown, when it became more important.

Have you checked your modem diagnostics? My issue also manifested as
    • lower downstream power and higher upstream power than normal (based on what I found online)
    • lots of post-RS errors in the downstream stats
    • frequent timeouts in the modem log

It turned out my coax connection between wall and router was dodgey. Replacing it with a new coax cable fixed it. Even having the connection a little loose makes a huge difference to the reliability of my speeds and the SNR. I'm in an apartment block so I was lucky the issue was with my side of the cable.

If you don't see any issues in your modem diagnostics, could you borrow a known good for 1gbps cat6 cable just to rule out an issue with the link betwen router and computer? Although I suppose your speeds dropping after the upgrade on the provider side does tend to rule out your ethernet cable as the cause.

MugsGame wrote: »
    I had similar consistently poorer speeds when I first upgraded but I didn't investigate it too carefully until lockdown, when it became more important.

Have you checked your modem diagnostics? My issue also manifested as
    • lower downstream power and higher upstream power than normal (based on what I found online)
    • lots of post-RS errors in the downstream stats
    • frequent timeouts in the modem log

It turned out my coax connection between wall and router was dodgey. Replacing it with a new coax cable fixed it. Even having the connection a little loose makes a huge difference to the reliability of my speeds and the SNR. I'm in an apartment block so I was lucky the issue was with my side of the cable.

If you don't see any issues in your modem diagnostics, could you borrow a known good for 1gbps cat6 cable just to rule out an issue with the link betwen router and computer? Although I suppose your speeds dropping after the upgrade on the provider side does tend to rule out your ethernet cable as the cause.

I got on to Virgin Media on Saturday and they informed me that there was SNR detected on the line and they are sending a technician out to look at it.

But they also confirmed they had changed by router to enable modem mode - based on a previous request that they had not confirmed/acknowledged. Anyway, I switched to modem mode and plugged in the new Archer AX6000 I had purchased in advance of the upgrade, and done a speed test. Amazingly I got 495Mb up and 50Mb down. The Hub 3 gave me 76Mb up and 45Mb down literally minutes before.

It has been consistent at around that level since lunchtime on Saturday, so I am now considering cancelling the technician as they are likely to break more than they fix :) I will see how I get on tomorrow morning on my calls and see how it performs.

I knew the Hub 3 was poor, and I had rebooted it 3 times in the last week, but that difference is crazy !

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10116621167

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Had to get onto them again yesterday as WiFi keeps dropping intermittently throughout the day. Pain in the hole as they’ve already replaced my 1Gig box.

La Haine wrote: »
    Had to get onto them again yesterday as WiFi keeps dropping intermittently throughout the day. Pain in the hole as they’ve already replaced my 1Gig box.

Is it just the WiFi or the connection completely?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is it just the WiFi or the connection completely?

WiFi. Just cut out on me there again.
    And they never rang me back either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Likely not what you want to hear, but you should put the VM modem and purchase a decent router and be done with it. The UK Virgin media forums have very similar stories to yours about wifi drops and the Hub 4 (Hub 2 here) and the 1gb service. I don't think I've ever had decent hardware supplied by an ISP, it's always cheap crap.

Save yourself hours of frustration on hold, Pointless Tech callout, replacement units etc and enjoy the additional features, coverage etc a decent router will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

LoGiE wrote: »
    Likely not what you want to hear, but you should put the VM modem and purchase a decent router and be done with it. The UK Virgin media forums have very similar stories to yours about wifi drops and the Hub 4 (Hub 2 here) and the 1gb service. I don't think I've ever had decent hardware supplied by an ISP, it's always cheap crap.

Save yourself hours of frustration on hold, Pointless Tech callout, replacement units etc and enjoy the additional features, coverage etc a decent router will give you.

some of the isp supply fritz!box modems hardly cheap crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

irishgeo wrote: »
    some of the isp supply fritz!box modems hardly cheap crap.

As I said, I've never had decent hardware supplied by the ISP. Digiweb are the only ISP I know of supplying fritzbox routers but I've never used them. Are their others? Looks to me like the ISP's with the largest market share (Virgin Media, Eir, Vodafone and Sky) continue to stick with arris or huawei kit with mixed results for customers.

Anyway, it would be great if VM offered better hardware or gave subscribers an option to use their own cable modem/routers combo's but they don't. La Haine may have a far better experience by moving routing and Wifi services to more powerful hardware.

As I said, I've never had decent hardware supplied by the ISP. Digiweb are the only ISP I know of supplying fritzbox routers but I've never used them. Are their others? Looks to me like the ISP's with the largest market share (Virgin Media, Eir, Vodafone and Sky) continue to stick with arris or huawei kit with mixed results for customers.

Anyway, it would be great if VM offered better hardware or gave subscribers an option to use their own cable modem/routers combo's but they don't. La Haine may have a far better experience by moving routing and Wifi services to more powerful hardware.

You can't bate de aul Netopia adsl modem Eircom had years ago, they were practically indestructible, would squeeze the last drop of speed from the shoddiest of lines. the Hino of modems, it was all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I am looking to do this, does anyone have suggestions for (in order of importance):
    * Gigabit LAN
    * OpenWRT support
    * Cost
    * WiFi
    (router will be in attic and WiFi is only used by tablets / phone in bed)

Have you an idea on what one would do the trick? As it was, the Virgin one supplied signal adequately throughout the house (when it works), so mightn’t need a hugely expensive one?

Thanks

I have mine running about a week now and it's shockingly unreliable. After 5 weeks trying to get them to send me the equipment I finally received it and when I plugged it in they disconnected me for 2 days.
    It took a ton of phone calls to get them to fix it and even since then it has been so inconsistent.

I have the Virgin Hub in modem mode and the download is around the 700 mark which is great in a sense but my upload seems to be restricted to 35Mbps which is the result I get on every device in the house, wired or wireless. Both myself and my girlfriend work from home and hers is through remote desktop which constantly disconnects or stutters.

So I'm not sure if it's their hub or their actual service at this point.

It's honestly such a pain. Working from home myself and constantly on video calls throughout the day. It's getting to the point where I'd get more reliable and consistent service hot-spotting off my iPhone's 5G signal.

And the money we're paying for this service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

The oddest thing - I was averaging 950 down and 50 up for a fortnight but when I test now I am getting 50 down and 50 up?!
    Edit - this on my PC with ethernet line.

My speedtest on phone wifi is 350 down and 50 up...!

Restarted my PC and router - same cr@p on PC speed...

Advertisement