Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

So after some more testing and prolonged usage with phones/PCs and some other equipment, there is something definitely not 100% right with using the 5Ghz on the new modem, that's not putting the blame on the RF side of things. 2.4 seems rock solid and gives a much smoother overall performance than the 5Ghz as well as the older white Hub3. Time for some more advanced "tinkering"

• Registered Users Posts: 8 simes_pep

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a router with gigabit switch support to use with the VM hardware in modem / bridge mode?

I use a Cisco RV340 (however I am not using the Dual WAN capability or USB 4G modem), but you do get 4 LAN ports (1 can be used as a DMZ if you wish)
    Getting 950Mbps down and 50Mbps up through it over Ethernet cable, with the VM 1Gb device in Modem Mode (after a technician call to replace the wall filter - only a new in-line filter supports the 1Gb service!)

There is also the Unifi USG - this would work well if you had their AP as well.

Looking at the Unifi AP HD as my Edimax Pro WAP1750 doesn't seem to get beyond 480Mbps on the 5GHz band. It is a AC1750, with 1300 on the 5GHz and 450 on the 2.4GHz (but a 801.11n device only sees 300Mbps connection, and a throughput of 150Mbps).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Do we think the modem mode will fix the gaming and drops that seem to common?

I setup my WRT 1900AC but forgot its not 1GB switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

I have the Router downstairs under the tv and am working upstairs on my MacBook connected to WiFi and getting fairly decent speeds 720 down and 50 up.

However, when I log into Virgins internet control panel I'm getting this "Your home network has a few problems" and then this red warning triangle beside "Checking Wifi Signal"....

Can't seem to find anything online about that warning - any of you guys come across it or have any ideas?

As mentioned yesterday - I'm having a new 1GIG box delivered today to replace the one I have as a possible fix for it dropping wifi signal intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭CoBo55

La Haine wrote: »
    I have the Router downstairs under the tv and am working upstairs on my MacBook connected to WiFi and getting fairly decent speeds 720 down and 50 up.

However, when I log into Virgins internet control panel I'm getting this "Your home network has a few problems" and then this red warning triangle beside "Checking Wifi Signal"....

Can't seem to find anything online about that warning - any of you guys come across it or have any ideas?

As mentioned yesterday - I'm having a new 1GIG box delivered today to replace the one I have as a possible fix for it dropping wifi signal intermittently.

Reading about the problems people are having I’d leave it alone.

• Advertisement

Yea I am cancelling my upgrade ATM, at least the 500 was more stable for gaming.

So it turns out you can't cancel the upgrade an revert to the previous package so had to cancel all Virgin Media services... Gives me 30 days to find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Edit:Virgins Hub 4.0 is not wifi 6 enabled.

Wifi6 is super new, so much that its not even a ratified standard right now. They are still working on it.

So its really unusual that Virgin are basically handing out Wifi6 routers right now. If you having drop outs, I'd suggest starting with a driver update for your systems wifi if available. I've seen a ton of issues in the enterprise space with interactions between wifi6 and Intel/Broadcom chips, to the point where we disabled it globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Wifi6 is super new, so much that its not even a ratified standard right now. They are still working on it.

So its really unusual that Virgin are basically handing out Wifi6 routers right now. If you having drop outs, I'd suggest starting with a driver update for your systems wifi if available. I've seen a ton of issues in the enterprise space with interactions between wifi6 and Intel/Broadcom chips, to the point where we disabled it globally.

This is true, I personally think WiFi6 it's too early to be rolling out to consumers just yet. A decent 5 GHz access point set to a good band/channel will easily get you 400 Mb down.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

My advice for anyone thinking of upgrading is don't do it until virgin inproves their customer service, if you have issues with this it will be virtually impossible to to contact them at the moment, so if your happy with your service at the moment don't upgrade as virgin are a complete nightmare to deal with at the moment, as someone said already they seem to want to give EIR a run for their money for worst customer service. Just my taught on this and from my experiences in the last few months trying to contact them. So beware before you do anything at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭deravarra

So it turns out you can't cancel the upgrade an revert to the previous package so had to cancel all Virgin Media services... Gives me 30 days to find an alternative.

I cancelled. You have a cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭deravarra

Where are you seeing that VM are handing out WiFi 6 routers?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

I did get the 1gb modem, which never worked (modem not provisioned when sent out) I cancelled the service and went back to the 500mb service and got a 50% discount for 6 months. I asked about what to do with the 1gb modem? .. Bin it was the answer due to covid19 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Honestly speaking after a week of use, I have never got below 850 down and 50 up.

Works fine here...

I have brought my hard gig line down to the front room now via along the outdoor gutter and getting 750+ there.

FYI - CAT6A did not work - Modem didnt like it so switched the end ethernet points to CAT6.

I've ordered a new gig switch to carry the bigger signal to devices in the room.

As a matter of interest, is it worth my while to order new ethernet lines or would a standard line carry the max signal without any issue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deravarra wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that VM are handing out WiFi 6 routers?

My mistake, I had thought from earlier posts in this thread that the 4.0 modem was Wifi6. A quick googles shows me its only 3x3 Mimo Wifi5.

Does the new modem have a usb port?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Does the new modem have a usb port?

No - just 4 Ethernet ports, 2 Telephone ports, Cable connection, Power port.
    ON/OFF switch and a Factory Reset hole to a recessed button.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Does anyone know if Virgins 1G BB have contention (as in are you sharing the pipe with neighbours) as we were told with Eir's you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Anyone elses hub stop working a short while ago?

Received the text below a few minutes after.

Mine was going well for the first few days but started getting banding/spikes in online games recently, hopefully this is a fix for it.

Hi There, To get your service going, power off your Virgin Media equipment for 1 minute. Turn back on and allow 1 hour for installation to complete. Thank you.
    Got questions? WhatsApp us at virginmedia.ie/whatsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Does anyone know if Virgins 1G BB have contention (as in are you sharing the pipe with neighbours) as we were told with Eir's you are not.

I highly doubt that Eir's network is designed to deliver 1Gbps to every customer simultaneously. Such a design would be prohibitively expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭bren2001

How do I put the hub into modem mode? I can't see the option on the settings page.

bren2001 wrote: »
    How do I put the hub into modem mode? I can't see the option on the settings page.

Are you broadcasting horizon free or whatever it's called? That needs to be disabled.
    You also need to be on an ipv4 ip address not dslite.
    Both require a call to VM to be sorted and a hub reset done properly will give you the modem mode option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tempora wrote: »
    I highly doubt that Eir's network is designed to deliver 1Gbps to every customer simultaneously. Such a design would be prohibitively expensive.

Its inherently not. Even at 30 customers at 150Mb only you're selling 4500 where you have 2400 total capacity. Both networks are contended and sales telling you otherwise is downright lies (though they may not understand what theyre saying).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The copper coax access network used by Virgin is contended, although the peak speed is higher than VDSL, so depending on how many are sharing the cable, users in many areas may not notice. In the case of Fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC/VDSL), it is true that the access line between your home and the Eir Fibre cabinet is not shared - so it is technically true to say that the access network is uncontended. Every house has their own dedicated cable pair.

Paradoxically, Eir fibre-to-the-home FTTH, does introduce contention in the access network - as do other FTTH consumer networks, although the speeds are likely to be large enough (1Gbps-10Gbps), that it is unlikely to be an issue for any domestic users. Eir offer dedicated uncontended fibres, just as they did with copper lines - but these are more expensive and are generally only used by large businesses who require them.

Beyond the cabinet, All Fibre backhaul networks connecting to the Internet are contended at some point.

Contention does not necessarily give rise to congestion - particularly in backhaul networks where the demands of large numbers of users are averaged out. It is also easy for an operator to ramp up capacity in backhaul - usually by remote command from their management centre - whereas increasing capacity in the access network requires major investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is that speed test cabled or wifi? It could just be interference from your neighbours bringing down the wifi speeds. Would match up with the "drops" too.

That’s WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have decided to opt against 1gb and stick with my 500mb package for another year. Reading and hearing too many problems. Already have issues that have crept in since lockdown on my 500mbps so don’t want to contend with those plus early adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sockman1979

Had technicians out on Friday.. changed some cables outside the house and inside cable changed, did speed test while there and all looked great, they split the network into separate ones for 5 and 2.4, speeds good on WiFi for the 5ghz network, absolutely nothing working on the 2.4, ring security camera now useless as it wo t connect to 5ghz. Tried factory resetting the router yesterday and still not working.. the technician let slip that they heard the range on the WiFi wasn’t as good as the old router.. no idea what to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Had technicians out on Friday.. changed some cables outside the house and inside cable changed, did speed test while there and all looked great, they split the network into separate ones for 5 and 2.4, speeds good on WiFi for the 5ghz network, absolutely nothing working on the 2.4, ring security camera now useless as it wo t connect to 5ghz. Tried factory resetting the router yesterday and still not working.. the technician let slip that they heard the range on the WiFi wasn’t as good as the old router.. no idea what to do now

Can't recommend modem mode / your own router enough if you can afford it. The hubs are generally garbage.

First thing is to get your own Wireless Access Point - the Unifi AP AC Pro as a minimum or the AP AC HD if you want to fully realise your 1Gb connection.
    (There are also good Cisco units - but a bit more involved to setup)

I would recommend the Edimax Pro WAP1750 I have, but it is a bit old now, circa 2015, and Wave 1 AC technology - investing today should be Wave 2.

This will give you good 2.4GHz and 5GHz performance for mulitple clients, such as your cameras, which you can isolate on the 2.4 band, and then 'bandsteer' every other capable device to the 5GHz band.

If in time, you may want to introduce your own router and move the VM equipment to just 'Modem Mode'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Sockman1979

allanroche wrote: »
    Can't recommend modem mode / your own router enough if you can afford it. The hubs are generally garbage.

I’ll wait and see, got through on WhatsApp and they’re sending a new router.. if that doesn’t work I’ll go the modem and my own router way

Advertisement