Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We buy Bovipast RSP and Bovilis IBR marker live. They are due the second shot RSP, along with the single shot IBR next Saturday.

Only ever used the inter nasal one year – a head scoop helps. They won’t like the applicator entering the nostrils. The injection is easier.

The inter nasal gives cover for 3 months, whereas the injection is 6 months duration. The inter nasal is more suitable for weanlings for sale in the autumn and the injection for overwintered weanlings.

The inter nasal is immediate effect, whereas the injection takes 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

We buy Bovipast RSP and Bovilis IBR marker live. They are due the second shot RSP, along with the single shot IBR next Saturday.

Only ever used the inter nasal one year – a head scoop helps. They won’t like the applicator entering the nostrils. The injection is easier.

The inter nasal gives cover for 3 months, whereas the injection is 6 months duration. The inter nasal is more suitable for weanlings for sale in the autumn and the injection for overwintered weanlings.

The inter nasal is immediate effect, whereas the injection takes 2 weeks

Went with the intra nasal the last two years. Some hardship without a head scoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Did it one year, pure hardship. Worst part was the stem thing coming off the syringe and having to get a needle nose pliers to get it back down out of the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Regarding the weighing, I've 3 that are 12 months, away from the main herd, don't suppose I could just guess these? I mean there's no way that they can verify if it's incorrect later on if I was selling, they won't be sold for another 8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭Grueller

jfh wrote: »
    Regarding the weighing, I've 3 that are 12 months, away from the main herd, don't suppose I could just guess these? I mean there's no way that they can verify if it's incorrect later on if I was selling, they won't be sold for another 8 months

That would be very naughty

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    That would be very naughty

Hahaha, your right & I'm normally the one who does everything exactly as required but someone put it in my head why are you putting yourself through the trouble of bringing those few back. I'll let my conscience decide.. 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Hahaha, your right & I'm normally the one who does everything exactly as required but someone put it in my head why are you putting yourself through the trouble of bringing those few back. I'll let my conscience decide.. ��

Suppose it depends how good you are at weighing by eye?

I'm going to write down my guesses for all before & see how closely I match up. Cause I'm a deeply boring person when it comes to fun! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I rented a scales this year and put 2 of my neighbours on it. One neighbour helped me and we had a rough enough day with cattle jumping gates , not wanting to go up the scales etc. The other neighbour then just filled out the forms sitting in his car. Didn't even look at the cattle as he guessed the weights. You'd wonder who the fool is sometimes.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

The poor cows.
    You’re supposed to weigh them before they’re weaned🀔🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Suppose it depends how good you are at weighing by eye?

I'm going to write down my guesses for all before & see how closely I match up. Cause I'm a deeply boring person when it comes to fun! :pac:

From my experience people aren’t half as good at guessing weights as they think they are. It’s no harm to to use it as a training exercise.

The eyeball Mk1 is a good bit of kit but needs regular calibration.

• Advertisement

I rented a scales this year and put 2 of my neighbours on it. One neighbour helped me and we had a rough enough day with cattle jumping gates , not wanting to go up the scales etc. The other neighbour then just filled out the forms sitting in his car. Didn't even look at the cattle as he guessed the weights. You'd wonder who the fool is sometimes.

Maybe, but it is handy having the list of cow's weights to hand at dosing time.

tanko wrote: »
    The poor cows.
    You’re supposed to weigh them before they’re weaned🀔🀔

Funnily enough, these were born Last Aug and have more calves this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Dunedin wrote: »
    Went with the intra nasal the last two years. Some hardship without a head scoop.

Dont like that intra nasal. Have a friend who ended up in hospital with a bad reaction after using it. Spent 2 weeks there. I have only used it once and my lips swelled up and got sore like they were going to burst out into cold sores...

Uncomfortable hooor of a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

From my experience people aren’t half as good at guessing weights as they think they are. It’s no harm to to use it as a training exercise.

The eyeball Mk1 is a good bit of kit but needs regular calibration.

I'm just about ok with weanlings, put my guesses on Twitter last year before selling & had all bar one within 15kg. Suppose it'd add up if you were selling 10 of them per kg in the field :pac:

Now cows, I cant weight cows for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm just about ok with weanlings, put my guesses on Twitter last year before selling & had all bar one within 15kg. Suppose it'd add up if you were selling 10 of them per kg in the field :pac:

Now cows, I cant weight cows for the life of me.

I'm the same, I'd be fairly sharp with the weights of the calves but could be out 50kg on a cow no bother.... Usually 50kg heavier :rolleyes:

alps wrote: »
    Dont like that intra nasal. Have a friend who ended up in hospital with a bad reaction after using it. Spent 2 weeks there. I have only used it once and my lips swelled up and got sore like they were going to burst out into cold sores...

Uncomfortable hooor of a thing

There is a gun - I wonder do they throw it in for free.

https://www.bovilis.ie/pneumonia/binl/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There is a gun - I wonder do they throw it in for free.

https://www.bovilis.ie/pneumonia/binl/

MSD are usually pretty good at throwing them in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

How long does it take to get the dung sample results,do they appear on line or are they posted to you??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

High bike wrote: »
    How long does it take to get the dung sample results,do they appear on line or are they posted to you??

We got a call

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

I got a call and then an email with the result. That was with Oldcastle labs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

What a day wrecked from it have no crush as still under construction so temp pen and mobile crush cattle quiet in the main but had to dose 2 year old heifers aswell f me that was tough going had to load em single and they didn't like it....weights seemed good enough will review tomorrow. 2 heifers got away they can cough away for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

When do the dung samples have to be done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

valtra2 wrote: »
    When do the dung samples have to be done by.

I have November 1st in my head anyway.
    I have the kit but not done it yet.
    As all samples are pooled, does it really matter if you have the exact 10 cows matching the 10 samples?

The samples have to be in the lab before November 1st.
    You don’t need to write the tag numbers on each container, just on the sheet you send with the samples.

The samples have to be in the lab before November 1st.
    You don’t need to write the tag numbers on each container, just on the sheet you send with the samples.
    I sent mine to the Irish equine centre but didn't send any tag numbers as they weren't requested on the sheet.Just name and herd number as far as I can remember

Oldcastle labs asked for the tag numbers on the form anyway.

Oldcastle labs asked for the tag numbers on the form anyway.
    I better double check it just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Weighed again yesterday out of curiosity. My last calved on 28th May is at 274kg (114 days). LM Knell bull calf out of large 800kg AAx cow. Checked icbf then after inputting the weights and he's excluded for the report as "calf weight issue". Any idea why? Everything is inputted correctly

Weighed again yesterday out of curiosity. My last calved on 28th May is at 274kg (114 days). LM Knell bull calf out of large 800kg AAx cow. Checked icbf then after inputting the weights and he's excluded for the report as "calf weight issue". Any idea why? Everything is inputted correctly

I’m only guessing but maybe they’re saying that your calf couldn’t be that heavy at that age. That’s a daily weight gain of about 2kgs/day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Ah ok. He's thriving tbh but she always rears our best calf & would pick him out from the rest. Bit annoying if they exclude him

Advertisement