Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

reps4 wrote: »
    all.

2 questions on beep, only really tuned into it this week.

1. where are the meal feeding dates recorded

2. where are the weaning dates recorded

have been in my beep-s homepage on ICBF herdplus and no optins foe above here.

only scales weights are an option

Email beep@agriculture.gov.ie The lovely staff there will reply to those questions in 'jig time' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭50HX

reps4 wrote: »
    all.

2 questions on beep, only really tuned into it this week.

1. where are the meal feeding dates recorded

2. where are the weaning dates recorded

have been in my beep-s homepage on ICBF herdplus and no optins foe above here.

only scales weights are an option

My understanding for this and similar one off schemes is that you keep your own records

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the vaccination for BBEP-S has to be done before November 1st the same as the weighing and dung sampling ?

Also, who are people finding cheapest for the dung testing and are all labs sending back a similar set of results or do some labs give more comprehensive results and dosing advice ?
    TIA
    I rang them all yesterday, cheapest is farmlab, Elphin at 21euro, you can order and pay online, I asked all labs about the testing procedure and all 10 samples are pooled together to give one result, on the farmlab site, go into shop and select beep scheme kit, postage back to lab will be at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Guys, neighbour wants to sell a suckler cow with 6 month calf at foot. Will he loose out on the payment of he sells together?
    If he sells separately will he be fine? This way he can say calf was weaned.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

august12 wrote: »
    I rang them all yesterday, cheapest is farmlab, Elphin at 21euro, you can order and pay online, I asked all labs about the testing procedure and all 10 samples are pooled together to give one result, on the farmlab site, go into shop and select beep scheme kit, postage back to lab will be at your expense.

Can you not just do your own dung samples as normal? Going to weigh mine during the week but I'm not board bia and I am not going to join either 😂 wonder will I get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Another question -

if you are feeding meal under the scheme, do you have to wait at least 2 weeks, after weighing before you can sell?

From the Terms and Conditions, it says you have to feed meal for 4 weeks pre-weaning and 2 weeks post weaning. You also have to weigh the un-weaned calves. Putting both together that's 2 weeks minimum before you can sell after weighing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Can you not just do your own dung samples as normal? Going to weigh mine during the week but I'm not board bia and I am not going to join either 😂 wonder will I get paid?

You don’t have to be in Bord Bia for the BEEP-S scheme but you do or agree to join for the latest beef finisher payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Guys, neighbour wants to sell a suckler cow with 6 month calf at foot. Will he loose out on the payment of he sells together?

Over 5 months he’s fine as long as he has his weighing done

If he’s doing the meal feeding option he could have a problem there but if he’s not he should be ok afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Can i rent a scales a 2nd time does anyone know?

Hoping to reweigh next week to see how their performing since being on nuts. More info for myself rather than the BEEP

• Advertisement

Hoping to reweigh next week to see how their performing since being on nuts. More info for myself rather than the BEEP

You can, just have to pay the €50 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I bought a tonne of weanling meal in March as I was worried about getting a yearly drought here in the summer and wanted some back up feed. Anyways I didn't use it and have started feeding now. I assume I'm OK as long as I keep the docket and record when I started feeding the calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Selling 3 cows that are not in calf. Can I weigh them and calves separately before the rest of the bunch or do all have to be weighed together

As many times as you like

Dunedin wrote: »
    Selling 3 cows that are not in calf. Can I weigh them and calves separately before the rest of the bunch or do all have to be weighed together

As long as the cow and her calf are weighed the same day

You can, as long as each cow and her calf are weighed on the same day that’s all that matters.

Can’t find the place on line to log the weights. Can anyone help me out quickly as logged on here now. Thanks

Can’t find the place on line to log the weights. Can anyone help me out quickly as logged on here now. Thanks

ICBF.com
    Services
    Beep-S
    Record weights

tanko wrote: »
    ICBF.com
    Services
    Beep-S
    Record weights

Thanks got it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

if you are feeding meal under the scheme, do you have to wait at least 2 weeks, after weighing before you can sell?

From the Terms and Conditions, it says you have to feed meal for 4 weeks pre-weaning and 2 weeks post weaning. You also have to weigh the un-weaned calves. Putting both together that's 2 weeks minimum before you can sell after weighing.

We weighed on a Monday am and then weaned the calves that Monday pm.
    Sold 2 wks later on a Tuesday which was exactly 14 days from being weaned and 2 wks of meal also.
    I rang adviser in Dept to check was it OK as thought we'd cut it a little fine. He said it was OK as long as we'd entered the weights on the Monday which I did on Icbf.

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote:
    I bought a tonne of weanling meal in March as I was worried about getting a yearly drought here in the summer and wanted some back up feed. Anyways I didn't use it and have started feeding now. I assume I'm OK as long as I keep the docket and record when I started feeding the calves?

We did are doing the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

pure breed wrote: »
    We did are doing the same here.

Just watch the use by dates, our meal receipts show a batch number and a use by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I got the vaccines today for the calves. Do I just have to keep the invoice or does it have to be uploaded/recorded somewhere on icbf as well?

I got the vaccines today for the calves. Do I just have to keep the invoice or does it have to be uploaded/recorded somewhere on icbf as well?

You just hold onto the invoice/paperwork and have it in case of an inspection afaik.

Are you using Boviplast?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

What is the exact name of the product you are using. I must get one of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

pure breed wrote: »
    We weighed on a Monday am and then weaned the calves that Monday pm.
    Sold 2 wks later on a Tuesday which was exactly 14 days from being weaned and 2 wks of meal also.
    I rang adviser in Dept to check was it OK as thought we'd cut it a little fine. He said it was OK as long as we'd entered the weights on the Monday which I did on Icbf.

How did your own weights match up with the mart weights if that was the selling route you took? Were they fairly in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I got bovilis ibr marker live and bovilis intranasal RSP live. Cost €13.50 a head for both. That's what the vets recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How did your own weights match up with the mart weights if that was the selling route you took? Were they fairly in line?

You would have to allow for loss of gut fill when in the mart. About 5% weight loss I see on finished cattle.

Sugarbowl wrote:

Only one was the same, the rest were 15 - 20 kg less in the mart, after 2 wks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I got bovilis ibr marker live and bovilis intranasal RSP live. Cost €13.50 a head for both. That's what the vets recommend.

Have you help for the intranasal?
    We went with the Bovilis bovipast instead of the intranasal for a cost of €20/head for all

Advertisement