Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

jfh wrote: »
    I rang a lab a couple of weeks back and the guy advised me to leave it until the end of the year for the dung sampling, I rang again there now as I'm anxious just to get it done but they're so busy, not taking any further samples, anyone recommend a lab?

Left the samples into Oldcastle labs recently and had the results the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

emaherx wrote: »
    At £350 it was hardly that crazy of an investment, handy thing to have around too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beam+scales&qid=1601191388&sr=8-3

50386968657_7797708c6e_c.jpgIMG_20200926_172121 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I already had the portable cattle crush, but many lads get platforms folded or just use a few scaffold planks bolted together.

I've calves to be weighed on 3 different blocks of land, so I'd find it very hard to get them all weighed on a single day or even a single weekend so it would cost me more than €50 to rent scales. If this scheme continues for a few years then the beam scale will be well worth it, but I had been considering getting a scale for a while anyway.

Has that to be calibrated/inspected to be used for BEEP scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Last 2 years, I got a guy to come with his scales and weighted 40 calves and 38 cows for 112 euro, gave me a good hand too, hard to beat that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Left samples into Oldcastle yesterday and got a call with the results today, both liver and rumen fluke detected, not surprised as I seen a few of the cows have become scuttery in the last two - three weeks. Whats the best dosing to get rid of this a they would have gotten levafas diamond earlier in the year. Think trodax or Closamectin but the withdrawal of 60 days is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Has that to be calibrated/inspected to be used for BEEP scheme?

Well Its calibrated and I've tested with some known weights. It's registered for the beep scheme and available if they choose to inspect it.

It doesn't need to be inspected to be used but can be inspected if they choose. The scheme conditions only state a suitable scales must be used. It's a certified scales that can weigh upto 3 tonne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Much easier to weight with a portable crush than the platform. Experience of both and would avoid the platform at any cost. Put one in with a tams job wouldn't have done it otherwise. Hassle of having to rent one collect, wash drop back. Then having to weight all on the one day, add up the 50s for renting over the years and the ability to weight other cattle when you want, with grant aid. Doesn't be long getting to the price of buying one. Weighted and dosed 130 cattle this summer in 3hrs solo. Proper handling facilities payoff.

It's great, easy to pin them in and no option for them to try putting feet out either side.

Agree on proper handling facilities, there's still lots to be done here to have it the way I'd like, but I'm trying to make some improvements every year.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Left samples into Oldcastle yesterday and got a call with the results today, both liver and rumen fluke detected, not surprised as I seen a few of the cows have become scuttery in the last two - three weeks. Whats the best dosing to get rid of this a they would have gotten levafas diamond earlier in the year. Think trodax or Closamectin but the withdrawal of 60 days is a pain in the ass.

I got the same results as you. I’m going to go with Trodax for the liver fluke and Zanil for the rumen fluke.
    Levafas diamond onlly works against adult liver fluke i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

I'm complete with the Beep S
    Weighing
    Dung sampling
    Vaccination bovipast RSP x2 and 1IBR.
    Did the second bovipast RSP and IBR today. Wanted to have it done before the weather changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Hi All, two questions on two jobs after weighting which I did two months ago. If I collect the dung samples and send to local accredited lab do I need to input any results received via ICBF or is that done by lab on my behalf? Secondly for the meal feeding where do I input/confirm that I've completed that element on ICBF? Apologies if answered already.

The lab will notify the dept. Probably similar to the labs doing the BVD tag testing

Retain your meal receipts and record when you have started and completed this action.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Hi All, two questions on two jobs after weighting which I did two months ago. If I collect the dung samples and send to local accredited lab do I need to input any results received via ICBF or is that done by lab on my behalf? Secondly for the meal feeding where do I input/confirm that I've completed that element on ICBF? Apologies if answered already.

The lab should notify the department that you have done the dung samples.
    You’re supposed to discuss the results with your vet and dose accordingly if needed and record what you used.
    You don’t record the meal feeding on ICBF, just hold onto the meal dockets/receipts and keep a record of the dates you fed the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Thanks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I had a BGDP inspection last week an the chap from the department recorded I was feeding meal for the BEEPs scheme as he could see the calves going into a shed to eat, I hadn't the weights done but he said if had he was to check them too.. in that just look at the calves and see if in his opinion the weights recorded reflected the size of the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

emaherx wrote: »
    Well Its calibrated and I've tested with some known weights. It's registered for the beep scheme and available if they choose to inspect it.

It doesn't need to be inspected to be used but can be inspected if they choose. The scheme conditions only state a suitable scales must be used. It's a certified scales that can weigh upto 3 tonne.

Thanks for that, good to know. 4 farmers near me got together and bought a scales between them, might be a way to go as weighing can be planned

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Aravo wrote: »

Vaccination bovipast RSP x2 and 1IBR.

Do you have to do both? I would normally do Bovipast x 2 and assume that's enough for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

For the faecal sampling option - is it possible to sample a selection of weanlings instead of doing the cows?

Do you have to do both? I would normally do Bovipast x 2 and assume that's enough for the scheme.

There are a number of options available.
    But ensure you are scheme compliant and contact your vet and check.
    IBR is in the scheme T&C's. The IBR i used is a live vaccine that when you mix one bottle with the other the vaccine comes alive.

Earnshaw wrote: »
    For the faecal sampling option - is it possible to sample a selection of weanlings instead of doing the cows?

T&C's states cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Earnshaw wrote: »

You will be filling 10 pots with faeces - and then writing down diligently on a list the numbers of the 10 cows you have sampled......

The 10 pots are all then pooled together and tested as one pooled sample - So not traceable back to any individual cow. The phrase “full of sh*t” comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭trg

I weighed the cows and calves on Saturday and uploaded to icbf but got a weanling performance report today with the 2 youngest excluded cos they're under 100 days old. Does this make any difference regarding payment? Didn't think it did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

trg wrote: »
    I weighed the cows and calves on Saturday and uploaded to icbf but got a weanling performance report today with the 2 youngest excluded cos they're under 100 days old. Does this make any difference regarding payment? Didn't think it did

you will be paid for all weighed.

you will be paid for all weighed.

Thanks be to jaysus

When were they born. To be eligible animals to be born in the herd between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020.

Thanks be to jaysus

Sorry Trg, Arayo is reading it right.

Aravo wrote: »
    When were they born. To be eligible animals to be born in the herd between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020.

Born the last few days June, they're 100 days old tomorrow.

Ah I reckon they'll qualify so. Dunno what that icbf report is about

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

The same thing happened to me the last 2 years as I weighed them young and didn’t make the ICBF report. Got full payment last December anyway regardless of age at weighing.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me the last 2 years as I weighed them young and didn’t make the ICBF report. Got full payment last December anyway regardless of age at weighing.

Got it confirmed by Dept. today, will be paid alright

Result - some rumen fluke eggs seen, negative for liver fluke. Surprising as the cows were last dosed Dec 2019 with Albendazole. I wouldn't have thought they could have rumen fluke and not have liver fluke as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Result - some rumen fluke eggs seen, negative for liver fluke. Surprising as the cows were last dosed Dec 2019 with Albendazole. I wouldn't have thought they could have rumen fluke and not have liver fluke as well.

Got the same result here.
    What will you give them for the Rumen Fluke.

• Advertisement

pure breed wrote: »
    Got the same result here.
    What will you give them for the Rumen Fluke.

This is the first year not giving the cows a summer dose. I will call into the Vet, ask his advice.

We had a diagnosis for Rumen fluke some years ago and tended afterwards to give any that were extremely loose 105 ml of Zanil and repeat 10 to 14.days later with another 105 ml (the max dose for Zanil). Zanil covers liver and rumen fluke.

Still think some of the herd must have liver fluke, just didn't show up in this bulk sample.

Advertisement