Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

See there’s a weight report on icbf
    All calves weighed before 100 days are not counted
    Have to be 100-300 days

Not counted for payment or not counted for just the weight report??

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

tanko wrote: »
    Not counted for payment or not counted for just the weight report??

Will get payment for them all but only those of a certain age get the detailed breakdown in the report.

I weighed them early so none of my spring calves are in the report. Just the Autumn ones. Will get paid for them all though. Something similar happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Will get payment for them all but only those of a certain age get the detailed breakdown in the report.

I weighed them early so none of my spring calves are in the report. Just the Autumn ones. Will get paid for them all though. Something similar happened last year.
    Hope you’re right
    I didn’t get paid on the early ones last year

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Hope you’re right
    I didn’t get paid on the early ones last year

Were they born in the correct time frame? After July 1st? I got paid for all mine anyway born in the 12 month time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

is the 90 euro per suckler cow finished, only heard about it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

new2me wrote: »

90 per suckler cow and weanling calf pair.

You missed the deadline (15th May).

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Were they born in the correct time frame? After July 1st? I got paid for all mine anyway born in the 12 month time frame.

Born at right time
    Anything weighed too young was not paid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

Born at right time
    Anything weighed too young was not paid
    theres nothing in the rules of the scheme about calves having to be a minimum age to weigh, they just have to be born on the farm in the reference period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes, I weighed the end of August last year, I had 2 June born calves and I got paid on them.

I have one 10 days old and got paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

new2me wrote: »

Application closed a while back. Not sure if any exceptions made for late applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

High bike wrote: »
    theres nothing in the rules of the scheme about calves having to be a minimum age to weigh, they just have to be born on the farm in the reference period

They prefer calf weighed between 100 and 300 days for more reliable average daily gain .. so a wide target of preferred dates

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

893bet wrote: »
    90 per suckler cow and weanling calf pair.

You missed the deadline (15th May).

i wonder will it be back on again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well I weighed them today. Total madness. One cow jumped a gate and caught her back legs in the gate. She freed one and was pulling on the other. I ran and got a heavy pipe and beat the hoof forward enough for her to pull it free. I was sure she'd break it. Another went about jumping a wall and she due to calf within the week. I got her in the shed and she went for an opening on the side where I had a sheet taken down for ventilation. It was a long day between here and a neighbour's place.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well I weighed them today. Total madness. One cow jumped a gate and caught her back legs in the gate. She freed one and was pulling on the other. I ran and got a heavy pipe and beat the hoof forward enough for her to pull it free. I was sure she'd break it. Another went about jumping a wall and she due to calf within the week. I got her in the shed and she went for an opening on the side where I had a sheet taken down for ventilation. It was a long day between here and a neighbour's place.

Why were you weighing the cow that is due to calf

Sami23 wrote: »
    Had them all in a bunch so ran them all tru.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Might have just been running with the cows & calves before calving.

Majority of calves eating nuts here now, dung samples back as negative for rumen fluke & low positive for liver fluke so happy with those. Might check again before housing to see if the rumen pos result goes up after a couple of wetter months.

....Another went about jumping a wall and she due to calf within the week. I got her in the shed and she went for an opening on the side where I had a sheet taken down for ventilation. It was a long day between here and a neighbour's place.

Well this girl calved this morning. Must have been hormonal last night. :D
    Fine bull calf, jumped up and drank her in front of me. She calved 5 days early and a calving interval of 320 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Limousines are quiet:)

Did many here buy a scales or do most just rent them.
    I'm half thinking of getting one through TAMS and if there's no more BEEP after this year I can always sell it I suppose.
    I rented one myself last year but it's a pain organising that and the bother of collecting and dropping it back.

• Advertisement

Did many here buy a scales or do most just rent them.
    I'm half thinking of getting one through TAMS and if there's no more BEEP after this year I can always sell it I suppose.
    I rented one myself last year but it's a pain organising that and the bother of collecting and dropping it back.

I bought one 6 years ago for the weighing choice in the beef discussion groups
    I find it great for sheep & cattle
    It’s expensive the first day, mine has well paid for itself

I bought one 6 years ago for the weighing choice in the beef discussion groups
    I find it great for sheep & cattle
    It’s expensive the first day, mine has well paid for itself

That's good to hear.
    if you don't mind expanding on that - why do you think it has paid for itself since.
    Is it for accurate dosing weights ect. ?

That's good to hear.
    if you don't mind expanding on that - why do you think it has paid for itself since.
    Is it for accurate dosing weights ect. ?

I sold lambs at 50kg think they were 42kg, that was lost Kg’s
    Same with weanlings, lots of times thinking you’re at 300kg when you’re at 400kg
    Generally crossing the 350kg sees the price per Kg reduce

Limousines are quiet:)

Ya, ............. quiet challenging. It was the same at the neighbour's place. One cow, he said would be trouble beforehand, just would not go up the crush. When we did eventually get her in, she put 3 legs on the scales and would not put the 4th. Took a good few belts to get her up.

Ya, ............. quiet challenging. It was the same at the neighbour's place. One cow, he said would be trouble beforehand, just would not go up the crush. When we did eventually get her in, she put 3 legs on the scales and would not put the 4th. Took a good few belts to get her up.

Pinch if nuts in a bucket works wonders

Have found if you run them through the scales once or twice before weighing it gets them use to the scales below and leaves easier for weighing

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

got results of dung samples back if you could call it a result, liver fluke present, no mention of whether it was a heavy burden or not, thought there would be a bit more detail, gathered samples day of herd test, had a heifer with blood scour same day and vets say to me to send in sample and see does it identify coccicidiosis , no mention of course in results but sure i guess they arent looking for that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

If you have an old cubicle mat, cut it up and put it on the scales or use some straw. Takes away the clanging sound when they go onto the scales. Find it helps a lot especially if calves were on a lie back with straw in the spring.

Anyone know if the vaccination for BBEP-S has to be done before November 1st the same as the weighing and dung sampling ?

Also, who are people finding cheapest for the dung testing and are all labs sending back a similar set of results or do some labs give more comprehensive results and dosing advice ?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

all.

2 questions on beep, only really tuned into it this week.

1. where are the meal feeding dates recorded

2. where are the weaning dates recorded

have been in my beep-s homepage on ICBF herdplus and no optins foe above here.

only scales weights are an option

• Advertisement

reps4 wrote: »
    all.

2 questions on beep, only really tuned into it this week.

1. where are the meal feeding dates recorded

2. where are the weaning dates recorded

have been in my beep-s homepage on ICBF herdplus and no optins foe above here.

only scales weights are an option

They are not on ICBF.

I am tracking with an excel sheet and keeping fed dockets

Advertisement