Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Faecal results back today.
    Low positive for Rumen Fluke and negative for Liver Fluke.
    Vet recommends dosing with Zanil or Rumenil along with Ivomec Super or its generics about 6 weeks after housing

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Interestingly to see lads fluke results. I’m not in the scheme, so not doing any faecal sampling.
    That said, I actually stopped fluke dosing six years ago this year. Not the wettest of farms, but very far from dry either!
    I haven’t noticed any issues whatsoever! They calve, go in calf and rear their calf! They hold condition.
    Haven’t noticed any difficulty in putting flesh on the culls I got rid of over those years!
    Makes you wonder about the real need for half of this dosing and injecting??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Interestingly to see lads fluke results. I’m not in the scheme, so not doing any faecal sampling.
    That said, I actually stopped fluke dosing six years ago this year. Not the wettest of farms, but very far from dry either!
    I haven’t noticed any issues whatsoever! They calve, go in calf and rear their calf! They hold condition.
    Haven’t noticed any difficulty in putting flesh on the culls I got rid of over those years!
    Makes you wonder about the real need for half of this dosing and injecting??

Do you dose or vaccinate the cows at all for anything during the year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do you dose or vaccinate the cows at all for anything during the year ?

No. Cows haven’t seen a dosing gun or syringe in years, other than intervention for mastitis once or twice or a calving situation.
    March / April calves have one shot of ivermectin got this year. That was a month ago! A couple of them were coughing a bit, so I decided to give them a shot.
    That’s how I have handled the calves for three years now. They will get a shot again a few weeks after housing, for those I keep. The rest will be sold in a few weeks with no further medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

No. Cows haven’t seen a dosing gun or syringe in years, other than intervention for mastitis once or twice or a calving situation.
    March / April calves have one shot of ivermectin got this year. That was a month ago! A couple of them were coughing a bit, so I decided to give them a shot.
    That’s how I have handled the calves for three years now. They will get a shot again a few weeks after housing, for those I keep. The rest will be sold in a few weeks with no further medicine.

Same here but oral drench for calves mid summer
    Question _ 3 calves born last july( July 2019 ) seem to be eligible but cows gone to factory this spring so cant weigh, will they get payment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What happens when I have sold a cow and calf pair during the summer... I weighed them both... but will not have done the meal feeding at weaning.... will I get the 40e for that calf rather than the 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

You will be filling 10 pots with faeces - and then writing down diligently on a list the numbers of the 10 cows you have sampled......

The 10 pots are all then pooled together and tested as one pooled sample - So not traceable back to any individual cow. The phrase “full of sh*t” comes to mind.

Thanks a million, this will save me a good bit of time.

Id swear theyre holding it in out of spite...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just ordered a kit from FarmLab Diagnostics in roscommon. Cost is €18 plus €6 for their postage. So total is €24.

https://www.farmlab.ie/product/beep-scheme-kit/

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

When Do we get paid for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

893bet wrote: »
    When Do we get paid for this?

Early December was when I got paid last year.

• Advertisement

Just ordered a kit from FarmLab Diagnostics in roscommon. Cost is €18 plus €6 for their postage. So total is €24.

https://www.farmlab.ie/product/beep-scheme-kit/

Quick question - sample bottles came today .... Do I write the Tag No. on the bottle?
    Bottles I got, seem to be for human use in a hospital. Label doesn't mention Tag Number.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Quick question - sample bottles came today .... Do I write the Tag No. on the bottle?
    Bottles I got, seem to be for human use in a hospital. Label doesn't mention Tag Number.

For Oldcastle Labs you don't write tag numbers on the bottles as the samples are pooled together for testing. You write the ten tag numbers on the form provided.
    Is there no instructions with the bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

tanko wrote: »
    For Oldcastle Labs you don't write tag numbers on the bottles as the samples are pooled together for testing. You write the ten tag numbers on the form provided.
    Is there no instructions with the bottles?

I scribbled the herd number only on all the containers. To post them off, I laid out a large square of cling, Lined up the pots 4 in the centre and 3 either side, wrapped tightly with the cling. Repeated the cling from the top side. Then into to ziplock or similar. labeled the jiffy bag. €6.20 postage, they didn't ask at the Post office about the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Sent mine off today, I've never labelled the bottles in the past and didn't today, only wrote numbers on the accompanying paperwork. Same lab as you're dealing with...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

I scribbled the herd number only on all the containers. To post them off, I laid out a large square of cling, Lined up the pots 4 in the centre and 3 either side, wrapped tightly with the cling. Repeated the cling from the top side. Then into to ziplock or similar. labeled the jiffy bag. €6.20 postage, they didn't ask at the Post office about the contents.

I just left whole lot in a box outside the lab door.
    I'd say the post men/women who deliver to these labs are looking forward to November 1st!!!

Do the dung samples have to come from the cows in the scheme or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭solerina

Hi all.when is the final date for inputting weights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 countrydude

solerina wrote: »

November 1st as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

Do the dung samples have to come from the cows in the scheme or does it matter?

Who will ever know?

Collected as many dung samples as I could today. Teamed up with a nieghbour and we rounded up the cows in the field. Maddest ones pooped first. The quietest ones wouldn't pass anything. Went at it again this evening and nothing would pass when I was there on my own. Worked well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What's the wait time for results? Sent mine Tuesday last, farm lab in Clare?
    Thanks

Grueller wrote: »
    Who will ever know?

They won't. I've a few scoury cows and wanted to get them tested. If they pool the 10 samples together then it's pointless, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

solerina wrote: »

1st November, had scales out today for the job happy with all. When I was collecting it lad in Co-op asked could I drop it back this evening as they are under pressure with everyone looking for them now and they have 8 scales on the go. So rang this evening to say I would have it there for 5 & there was a boy sitting waiting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

What's the wait time for results? Sent mine Tuesday last, farm lab in Clare? Thanks

Sorry do you mind naming the lab in Clare and what price they are?
    We sent ours to Elphin in Roscommon got results in couple days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

pure breed wrote: »
    Sorry do you mind naming the lab in Clare and what price they are?
    We sent ours to Elphin in Roscommon got results in couple days.

FarmLab diagnostics, there were mentioned on this thread a while back, i ordered the test kit several weeks ago and it was delivered next day i took the samples last week as i almost forgot about them., think it was €21 for the kit + €7 to register the postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

FarmLab diagnostics, there were mentioned on this thread a while back, i ordered the test kit several weeks ago and it was delivered next day i took the samples last week as i almost forgot about them., think it was €21 for the kit + €7 to register the postage.

Is that all that had to paid? Or is there a test fee on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Farm labs in Elphin were €20 and €6 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Irish Equine Centre - €22
    Post back the samples to Irish Equine centre. €6.20
    Results 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

When I was inputting the weights yesterday I just noticed the weights of the cows from last year, very little difference in them for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

I put in the weights on ICBF Saturday, How do we prove that we're giving meal?

Advertisement