Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Black Dahlia
    surely number one for me.. the heinousness of the crime, mutilation of the body while she was still alive, the way the body parts were left next to public sidewalk, and fact that it is still unsolved meaning probably never will be..

Murder of Kitty Genovese mostly as multiple neighbours heard her cries for help and nobody responded

James Bulger is just devastating beyond words..

Ted Bundy case(s) due to his psychological profile including him defending himself, display show that was shockingly allowed in court, needless to say electric chair was invented for a reason totally justified in his case :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

The first murderer to be caught through DNA was Colin Pitchfork in the uk in 1987. It would have been established by early 90s albeit still in its infancy.

He let slip that someone had taken the DNA test for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There was a high profile rape case in Dublin I think around 1993/94. The perp was given the name "the Cheerio rapist" as he mockingly said cheerio to his victim when he was leaving her house. This chap was posing as I think a workman or something and gained entry to the house where the woman was alone, I think it was a middle class estate. It was featured on crime line and there was a very detailed photofit issued from the victims description. Does anyone remember this case and if anyone was ever apprehended? I cant find any details online.
    Did they find him?

Found it. It was 2003, a lot more recently than I thought. The most recent article is from 2008 and there was still no one apprehended at that point.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/photo-fit-appeal-as-gardai-fear-new-attack-by-rapist-1.1137607

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-year-on-gardai-fear-video-rapist-may-claim-another-victim-26014621.html

https://www.herald.ie/news/appalling-housewife-rape-in-dundrum-still-unsolved-27894367.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

The murder of April Jones in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wow - seems a horrific ordeal. His methods are also very similar to the guy in the Netflix documentary "Unbelievable". In that documentary, they mention a book that was used like a 'rape guide'. Given the nature of this attack, hard to believe he didn't offend again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember one-time working in a country estate had to work with a few guys one told me he was in the British army before.

He gave me two bits of advice if I was ever carjacked or in a sticky situation and cornered by a car.

Best to have at least a 2L car or more powerful, bit of weight behind you, and gently drive to the front or back corner tyre's then reve the fck out of the engine, first gear and push the car around and get the hell out of there, don't crash into it lol

Second piece of advice was if you ever need to drive through a concrete wall because you're being followed, go at a good speed then for the last 20 yds go right down to thirty and you'll break through the wall and it's something to do with physics...speed and then weight... straight through the wall..

That was what he said, but the first paragraph makes sense, the second I'm not so sure.

One of my biggest fears as a kid was always getting kidnapped.

So if I'm ever being chased down or cornered I'll remember his suggestion.

Please don't take this advice as gospel I'm only posting what was suggested to me back in the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Stealing money from the church poorbox when I was 13, still keeps me awake some nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

begbysback wrote: »
    Stealing money from the church poorbox when I was 13, still keeps me awake some nights.

That's not as bad as me robbing dirty postcards from the front of a shop in Shannon Town when I was around ten.
    Myself and another lad dared each other... different times for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just listened to a podcast about the two couples in NI. What a story.

All devout Christians in the Baptist Church of course.

Anyway the two wives had affairs with their opposite husbands, or vicey versey. One (playing away) couple died in their garage apparently of C02 suicide.

Years later Colin the Dentist admitted to killing them. So much for the god fearing congregation, and everyone knew about it in their areas. Mad stuff!

Look up the murder of Lesley Clarke and Trevor Buchanan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anyway the two wives had affairs with their opposite husbands, or vicey versey. One (playing away) couple died in their garage apparently of C02 suicide.

Years later Colin the Dentist admitted to killing them. So much for the god fearing congregation, and everyone knew about it in their areas. Mad stuff!

Colin Howell was massive in the news at the time of the trial. There was just such a story to it and there lives after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hey hang on a minute there.
    Where did you find any evidence that Lesley Howell was having an affair with Trevor Buchanan ?

It was her husband Colin Howell, the good dentist and lay preacher, that was having affair with Hazel Buchanan.

He later married an American and she married an RUC Superintendent Dave Stewart.
    Trevor Buchanan had been RUC officer.

BTW she was also found guilty of the murders.
    Oh and some of Hazel Howell nee Clarke's family also claim Howell may have been involved in sudden death of her father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Confused by this line.

You almost seem happy to have stumbled across this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Jamie Bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Sometimes I feel I live in a little bubble, that I don't know enough of what's happening in the world around me, that I spend too much time by myself or doing my own things with family. And then I read some of the horrible unspeakable things that some do to others and it makes me sad that so much senseless pain is inflicted allllll the time, and I'm glad of my bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Jamie Bolger.

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Gallas Goal

Zarco wrote:
    Thierry Henrys Goal

If you're talking about that play off in paris he didnt score it, gallas did.

James

Profuse apologies.

Profuse apologies.

Sorry if my post sounded pedantic

The only reason I corrected you is that his family have stated that it upsets them when people refer to him as Jamie as that is not his name even though the media always named his as Jamie.

This has been mentioned previously in the thread. I presume you haven't read the whole thread.

I should have mentioned this in my original reply to you however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I have a few to mention, because I spend way too much time researching crime topics:

The Shankill Butchers. I didn't know it was possible for serial killers to stand out from a group dedicated to murdering Catholics at random, but I was messed up for days after I first read about them (I was much younger mind you).

The Holocaust. I don't need to go much further with that one I don't think.

Those three lads who were burned to death in their beds while sleeping during the Drumcree standoffs in the late 90s. Still think of them around every July and just hope they never woke up during it.

Emmett Till. A disgusting example of how messed up the south USA was during the days of segregation.

Jonestown. To this day, I'll never ever understand how one man convinced almost 1,000 people to follow him in death. The tape makes for intriguing albeit very disturbing listening.

2 Guys 1 Hammer / Dneprovetrovsk Murders. I saw that video when I was a teen and wish I never bothered seeking it out (morbid curiosity killed the cat).

• Advertisement

Sorry if my post sounded pedantic

The only reason I corrected you is that his family have stated that it upsets them when people refer to him as Jamie as that is not his name even though the media always named his as Jamie.

This has been mentioned previously in the thread. I presume you haven't read the whole thread.

I should have mentioned this in my original reply to you however.

Had no idea. Fair enough, I actually didn't read through the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

While I was living in Japan, a story made headlines of a single mother in some city who was so sick of looking after her two kids that she just left. Locked the door and left, with the kids locked inside. They slowly starved to death. Police found evidence that the older child (only 3 or 4) had tried to feed the younger one (maybe 1 or 2) with things like tomato sauce and mayonnaise (just what was in the fridge) before the younger child died, with the older one to die later.

It's not the kind of grisly torture that is regular in this thread, but equally sickening in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

osarusan wrote: »
    While I was living in Japan, a story made headlines of a single mother in some city who was so sick of looking after her two kids that she just left. Locked the door and left, with the kids locked inside. They slowly starved to death. Police found evidence that the older child (only 3 or 4) had tried to feed the younger one (maybe 1 or 2) with things like tomato sauce and mayonnaise (just what was in the fridge) before the younger child died, with the older one to die later.

It's not the kind of grisly torture that is regular in this thread, but equally sickening in its own way.

Jesus that is horrific :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

That is so sickening, horrific in truest sense. Those poor children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

osarusan wrote: »

The Japanese are a very cruel race.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    The Japanese are a very cruel race.

What a ridiculously ignorant post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Word to the wise: remember Pearl Harbor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Omackeral wrote: »
    What a ridiculously ignorant post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes
    I know it’s Wikipedia but these have documented & authenticated elsewhere. I don’t know how anybody could justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The murder of April Jones in Wales.

Also the terrible murder of little Sophie Hook in Llandudno. It happened in 1995. She was only 7. A scumbag by the name of Howard Hughes was convicted. It still casts a terrible shadow over a lovely seaside resort.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Daragh1980 - quit it with the ridiculously sweeping generalizations.

Advertisement