Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I am proof that weight loss is all about diet and not exercise. Barely moved this week (my knee has been at me) but staying pretty disciplined with my calories.

Can honestly say this is incredibly true.

One can get a six pack sitting on the couch.

Exercise builds endurance, diet builds bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Back on the healthy horse for the last week. I put on a stone since the start of Covid. Started last week at 103kg @ 6ft tall.
    Been eating well and tracking on MFP. I've set myself a target of doing a 10k run the weekend of my birthday in November. I did three slow 5k runs this week (with several walking breaks). Starting to feel much better with more energy
    I went out Friday night to watch the rugby and had a few pints and a burger and chips. This obviously put me well into a calorie surplus but I didn't drink so much that I felt crap the day after and wanted nothing but rubbish. I ate well yesterday and did a 5k last night (wild Saturday night I know). Totted it all up to be a +4000kcal deficit over the week. The pints and burgers won't be a staple part of the plan but it just shows you can incorporate the pleasures if you make up for it elsewhere.
    Week 1- 103.1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

hi guys

I'm a heavy guy, not sure what weight exactly but I put on more in lockdown. I'm 178cm/5'10 and wear a 44inch waist jeans. i'm 40.

I'm not active. I get no enjoyment from and cannot motivate myself to "go for a walk" - firstly it hurts my lower back, and secondly I get bored.

I recently started a "fat dads" gym class, twice a week. I've cut out drinking Sun-Thurs, and I'd be eating peanuts or crisps every night, which is also gone. I've also had a look at my other meals. I thought I was great eating fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, turns out I'm not :D

so how does the following look

Breakfast - 3 egg omlette with ham and 3 cherry tomatoes (about 60g of ham which is from a joint I'd bake on a sunday, which is also for my son's lunches)

Lunch - brocolli (stems and florets), a carrot ribbonned, a third of a pepper, a few mushrooms, kale or other leafy green, some garlic, chili flakes, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and vinegar and a chicken breast trimmed of fat (or turkey steak) all stir fried (no oil)

Dinner - whatever is on - pasta bolognese, meat & 2 veg etc "normal dinner"

various Americano coffees through the day (never milky coffee) and about 2 litres of water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭TheFactMan

Track what your eating, figure out how many calories that is and - 200 off it till u start losing weight at a reasonable amount, Get a Gym routine going and stick with it, Be patient it ll work over time, adjust your diet as needs to continue the weight loss,

Dont go OCD with the tracking or any of that roughly will do you and just enjoy the journey it ll take you a while b you ll be improving a little bit every day.

........... I've cut out drinking Sun-Thurs, ...................

Breakfast - 3 egg omlette with ham and 3 cherry tomatoes (about 60g of ham which is from a joint I'd bake on a sunday, which is also for my son's lunches)

Lunch - brocolli (stems and florets), a carrot ribbonned, a third of a pepper, a few mushrooms, kale or other leafy green, some garlic, chili flakes, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and vinegar and a chicken breast trimmed of fat (or turkey steak) all stir fried (no oil)

various Americano coffees through the day (never milky coffee) and about 2 litres of water.

Diet looks grand, likely a decent calorie deficit.
    Do you plan on drinking Fri and Sat?

• Advertisement

TheFactMan wrote: »
    Track what your eating, figure out how many calories that is and - 200 off it till u start losing weight at a reasonable amount, Get a Gym routine going and stick with it, Be patient it ll work over time, adjust your diet as needs to continue the weight loss,

Dont go OCD with the tracking or any of that roughly will do you and just enjoy the journey it ll take you a while b you ll be improving a little bit every day.
    I've started a "food diary" so I'm tracking it.

how do I work out the calories?

I'll deffo stick with the gym, I'd rather 3 days than 2 so I want to ask about that.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Diet looks grand, likely a decent calorie deficit.
    Do you plan on drinking Fri and Sat?

I'll probably have 3-4 cans of beer on each of those nights.

how do I work out the calories?...........

For the likes of cans of beer it's on the can :)

3 egg omlette, an egg is approx 100kcals

3 cherry tomatoes, approx 50 calories

(about 60g of ham which is from a joint I'd bake on a sunday, which is also for my son's lunches) ........ ham ........ 263 kcal of calories per 100g

Lunch - brocolli (stems and florets), a carrot ribbonned, a third of a pepper, a few mushrooms, kale or other leafy green, some garlic, chili flakes, soy sauce......... about 100 calories for all that

fish sauce .......... dunno, look at packet

ime juice and vinegar......... negligable

and a chicken breast trimmed of fat ..... approx 200 calories

Dinner - whatever is on - pasta bolognese, meat & 2 veg etc "normal dinner"............ 1000kcals if it's large portion.

ok thanks, that's helpful

what you've listed out there is approx 1800-1850kcal I think.

I've started a "food diary" so I'm tracking it.

how do I work out the calories?

I'll deffo stick with the gym, I'd rather 3 days than 2 so I want to ask about that.

I'll probably have 3-4 cans of beer on each of those nights.

tdeecalculator google that i cant link it.

Use that its not perfect but it ll get you within ball park of what your calories should be depending on your activities.

Then download one of those calorie tracker apps i find myfitnesspal handy.. but which ever one you find easiest you can use, you basically enter what you eat and it does all the leg work for you, gives you the break down on what calories and macros you are getting.

Then you just need to adjust em to suit your goals.

It takes abit of getting used to but once you ve the hang of it, it doesnt take much effort and you can be more disciplined with ur diet.

But again you've to enjoy life as well so you dont have to go OCD or freak out if uve a pizza but just be mindful of the calories. You ll know yourself !

That's under 2000kcals per day........... you should see some nice weighloss over the course of a month if you stick to that....... approx 4 or 5lbs I reckon.

A 500ml can of beer is about 250kcals iirc so 8 of them a week is 2000kcals (without any accompanying snacks) ............ that could well be the issue tbh is you eat under 2000kcals/day and don't see any weight loss.

• Advertisement

Try not to get too bogged down with all the sciencey side of things, you arent trying to be an Olympic athlete so knowing the micro difference of an avocado vs an apple at a molecular level and how insulin absorption is affected when doing handstands isnt going to do you any good! try keep things as simple and as easy to follow as possible. I know some users mean well but alot of this info is well over the top and not really needed.

Too much information can be worse than none at times!

......... alot of this info is well over the top and not really needed.

If you are referring to calories anyone trying to lose weight should have an appreciation of what they are eating in calories IMO.

Bit of a stretch to go from calorie counting to this spiel "so knowing the micro difference of an avocado vs an apple at a molecular level and how insulin absorption is affected when doing handstands isnt going to do you any good!"

If you are referring to calories anyone trying to lose weight should have an appreciation of what they are eating in calories IMO.

Bit of a stretch to go from calorie counting to this spiel "so knowing the micro difference of an avocado vs an apple at a molecular level and how insulin absorption is affected when doing handstands isnt going to do you any good!"

Read my post before getting offended. The point i was making is blatantly clear.

jaysis lads calm down

thanks for the advice

Read my post before getting offended. The point i was making is blatantly clear.

I'm not offended at all........

You replied to / quoted this .........

with this...............

Try not to get too bogged down with all the sciencey side of things, you arent trying to be an Olympic athlete so knowing the micro difference of an avocado vs an apple at a molecular level and how insulin absorption is affected when doing handstands isnt going to do you any good! try keep things as simple and as easy to follow as possible. I know some users mean well but alot of this info is well over the top and not really needed.

I'm not offended at all........

You replied to / quoted this .........

with this...............

Keep it in context there was other posts aswell,

I was replying to the person rather the post , it was more a follow on from my original post.

But what's your point exactly ?

Keep it in context there was other posts aswell,

I was replying to the person rather the post , it was more a follow on from my original post.

But what's your point exactly ?

This was my point........

This was my point........

Oh ok you misunderstood what I was saying.

Oh ok you misunderstood what I was saying.

No, more like you quoted the wrong post :)

No, more like you quoted the wrong post :)

Well you some how got calories out of the bit you qouted which is impressive in it's self considering it's fairly obvious what I was getting at but that aside two posts before that you can see I highlighted the importance of calories and how to track em.

It seems to me your just trying to have a go or looking for something to be offended by...

But anyway this is going off topic.

• Advertisement

Well you some how got calories out of the bit you qouted which is impressive in it's self considering it's fairly obvious what I was getting at..............

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114565178&postcount=1326

You realize that wasn't the only post made right ? The tread does go back beyond that post?

If you spent as much time trying to understand the point as you do trying to deliberately misunderstand it we wouldn't be having this pointless conversation .

You realize that wasn't the only post made right ? The tread does go back beyond that post? .......

It's 89 pages, folk generally don't quote posts when they are replying to the person rather the post FYI.

If you quote a post the consensus will be you are referring to the content of it :)

Simple really.

It's 89 pages, folk generally don't quote posts when they are replying to the person rather the post FYI.

If you quote a post the consensus will be you are referring to the content of it :)

Simple really.

It's litterally the page before it, you actually replied yourself on it , you're just trying to misunderstand it to have a go I can see what you are at.

It's litterally the page before it, you actually replied yourself on it , you're just trying to misunderstand it to have a go I can see what you are at.

Not at all, it seems you quoted a post in error, that's fine

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114565178&postcount=1326

I'm not at anything.

Not at all, it seems you quoted a post in error, that's fine

I'm not at anything.

Ok great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).
    Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).
    Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).
    Week 13: 245 lbs (-56.6).
    Week 14: 243.3 lbs (-58.3).
    Week 15: 237.2 lbs (-64.4).
    Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).
    Week 17: 235.7 lbs (-65.9).
    Week 18: 233.4 lbs (-68.2).
    Week 19: 231.6 lbs (-70).
    Week 20: 234 lbs (-67.6).
    Week 21: 230.9 lbs (-70.7).
    Week 22: 227.3 lbs (-74.3).
    Week 23: 228.2 lbs (-73.4).
    Week 24: 222.5 lbs (-79.1).
    Week 25: 219.8 lbs (-81.8).
    Week 26: 218.5 lbs (-83.1).
    Week 27: 221.1 lbs (-80.5).
    Week 28: 217.5 lbs (-84.1).
    Week 29: (holidays)
    Week 30: (holidays)
    Week 31: 218.7 lbs (-82.9).
    Week 32: 216.8 lbs (-84.8).
    Week 33: 216.8 lbs (-84.8).
    Week 34: 217.7 lbs (-83.9).
    Week 35: 211.3 lbs (-90.3).

Hope I'm not putting the cart before the horse......but the finish line (<200 lbs) is in sight! Just gotta stay on track for a few weeks....

hi guys

I'm a heavy guy, not sure what weight exactly but I put on more in lockdown. I'm 178cm/5'10 and wear a 44inch waist jeans. i'm 40.

I'm not active. I get no enjoyment from and cannot motivate myself to "go for a walk" - firstly it hurts my lower back, and secondly I get bored.

I recently started a "fat dads" gym class, twice a week. I've cut out drinking Sun-Thurs, and I'd be eating peanuts or crisps every night, which is also gone. I've also had a look at my other meals. I thought I was great eating fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, turns out I'm not :D

Your stats are very similar to mine before I lost weight - same height and similar waist (I was 44/46 - now 36/38:D) so I'd guesstimate you are in the 270 - 300 pound range.

Unless you're targeting specific macros that diet looks.......good, TBH. I think if you stick to that plan and don't snack you might be surprised how quick the weight drops off, initially at least.

hey I was looking at your progress chart there, if I can get to somewhere like that I'll be happy. Very happy

I had myself pegged at about 140kg alright, which is in around what you are suggesting.

I absolutely know snacking was my downfall, full packets of sharing crisps, peanuts and jellies. I also know I was very carb heavy previously.

Thanks for your post, it's encouraging to see someone similar to myself actually making their goals. I hope I'm back here in 35 weeks with the same success story :)

• Advertisement

hey I was looking at your progress chart there, if I can get to somewhere like that I'll be happy. Very happy

I had myself pegged at about 140kg alright, which is in around what you are suggesting.

I absolutely know snacking was my downfall, full packets of sharing crisps, peanuts and jellies. I also know I was very carb heavy previously.

Thanks for your post, it's encouraging to see someone similar to myself actually making their goals. I hope I'm back here in 35 weeks with the same success story :)

Cheers, appreciate it. I'm not going to turn this into an intermittent fasting post, but even just sticking to a strict three meals a day with no snacks is essentially the most basic form of the plan. My first week going at it was almost entirely just sticking to three meals a day (think I had one 24hr fast) and I lost 11lbs (5kg)! So even if you stick to your plan above (that's a big if of course - I know well!) and don't get more complicated you should see results. I was similar too in that my 'main meals diet' wasn't too bad, but the ****ing snacking was the killer - especially after a few tankards of ale (which continues to be a problem).

Advertisement