Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Update today. Still losing but plateau in effect. Sitting on 30 BMI, will be happy to that below 30 next week I hope. Also worth noting I've officially lost a stone (one more to go!).

Happy as still on course, and I expected a slow down to come, maybe this is it? Missed a 3 day check this week, will watch closely the next one, after the bank holiday.

Been on staycation and avoided all junk, ice cream and alcohol, but it's harder for sure to maintain a routine on holidays.

Day 0 - 94.10kg
    Day 3 - 91.50kg (-2.60kg)
    Day 6 - 89.90kg (-4.20kg)
    Day 9 - 88.95kg (-5.15kg) [BP 134/88]
    Day 13 - 88.05kg (-6.05kg)
    Day 19 - 87.60kg (-6.50kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Start - 17st 1lb
    Week 1 - 16st 13lb (-2) (-2)
    Week 2 - 16st 11lb (-2) (-4)
    Week 3 - 16st 9lb (-2) (-6)
    Week 4 - 16st 7lb (-2) (-8)
    Week 5 - 16st 6lb (-1) (-9)
    Week 6 - 16st 4lb (-2) (-11)
    Week 7 - 16st 1lb (-3) (-14)
    Week 8 - 16st 0lb (-1) (-15)

I weigh myself every day, first thing in the morning, it's becoming obsessive, and it's mad to see the fluctuations throughout the week. Ended last week at 16st 1 (last Friday). On Sunday morning I was 15st 13. On Tuesday I was up to 16st 2. Today back down to 16st.

I know not everyone likes that approach, but that's why I think it's much better to weigh yourself every day. If you weigh yourself once a week you could just catch your body on a "bad day" and think your diet is not working or that you are failing. Weighing yourself everyday, you see the trends and the ups and downs. When you see yourself 2 pounds heavier than the day before, having exercised and eaten only 2,000 calories that day - you know it's not anything permanent and it's just a temporary blip

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I do that too but take an average for the week on the morning that I take my circumference measurements. It has helped me be far less reactive to the numbers!

Day 0 - 94.10kg
    Day 22 - 86.50kg (-7.60kg) [BP 135/86]

These results are from yesterday. So after 3 weeks I have my BMI under 30, and over a stone lost. Body Fat % is also Going the right way, 18.8% am aiming for under 15%.

Cravings for anything sweet seem to be totally gone, and have been able to fast for up to 24 hours with no feelings of hunger. Very pleased with this approach, am hoping to be in target range by end of August at this rate. Willpower is solid, when on holidays I didn't have any alcohol, even when a free drink was offered to me to fix a complaint at a restaurant I took tap water!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I'M 48 and weighed myself on the 19th of May and nearly fell off the scales at 133kg I was too large, I knew I was fat but not that fat. I started using an app called my fitness pal and put myself in to a calorie deficit so I went from circa 4000 calories a day to giving myself an allowance of 1900 cal a day.
    so far I have lost 20kg up to last Monday the 3rd of August and I need to lose another 14 kg to get to the weight I want, I am 1.9mt with a large build and have consulted with the doc and he has said that 96kg should be fine.
    I have changed how I look at food now and am averaging 1500 cal a day with a decent diet I don't stop myself having a beer or a takeaway but I know I can mitigate the impact of this within my diet. I am never hungry and now fill the plate with veg and protein while still having my fats and carbs (just a little less of the latter).
    I may also add that I have done feck all exercise within this time as I am recovering from knee surgery which has really cut down on the movement so when I can get on my bike again I should reach the 96 kilos handy enough.
    Calorific deficit has worked for me and I would recommend but make sure that you eat properly and don't starve yourself.

• Advertisement

Scales this morning has me at an even 9kg loss in 25 days. Incidentally, there is a series just starting on Channel 4 called 'How to lose a stone in 21 days' by Micheal Moseley - the 'Fast800' approach I am taking is his slant on Intermittent Fasting. I lost a stone in just under 21 days, its by far the best approach I have tried. I only discovered the show after episode 1 aired, but you can see repeats on 4Seven, etc this week or on the 4OD player. I am looking forward to watching it.

Link to Show on Channel 4

Day 0 - 94.10kg
    Day 25 - 85.10kg (-9.00kg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Got a bit of a shock when I came in at 92.5 kg on Sunday morning.

Was after a couple of days of drinking and eating ****e. Determined to lose at least 7/8 kg and try to maintain it.

Going well so far. Down to 88.8kg this morning. Eating a large bowl of porridge with seeds for breakfast at about 7:30. Lunch - salad with chicken and yogurt instead of dressing at about 12 and then dinner - meat/fish/chicken with lots of veg and no extra carbs about 5pm. Staying off drink until I reach 86kg.

Just wondering if that loss is mostly losing water as I'm sure it would not be possible to lose almost 3kg of fat in 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Genghis wrote: »
    Incidentally, there is a series just starting on Channel 4 called 'How to lose a stone in 21 days' by Micheal Moseley - the 'Fast800' approach I am taking is his slant on Intermittent Fasting. I lost a stone in just under 21 days, its by far the best approach I have tried.

Link to Show on Channel 4

I bought the books Fast 800 and the Recipe Book and learned about intermittent fasting.
    Then I moved onto Dr Berg's YouTube videos and that really got me hooked. He explains everything so well.
    I've lost 40 pounds in 3.5 months just by following his advice and best of all its free on YT.
    I've had a few carb binges during that time which is really not worth it as I couldn't get enough food into me yesterday. Going to go strict now.
    I saw MM had them use keto urine strips. Going to see if I can get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Scales this morning has me at an even 9kg loss in 25 days. Incidentally, there is a series just starting on Channel 4 called 'How to lose a stone in 21 days' by Micheal Moseley - the 'Fast800' approach I am taking is his slant on Intermittent Fasting. I lost a stone in just under 21 days, its by far the best approach I have tried. I only discovered the show after episode 1 aired, but you can see repeats on 4Seven, etc this week or on the 4OD player. I am looking forward to watching it.

A show where they get people that put on a load of weight during lockdown to exercise more and stop eating like spastics. Doesn't take special sauce to make that a magical intervention.

A show where they get people that put on a load of weight during lockdown to exercise more and stop eating like spastics. Doesn't take special sauce to make that a magical intervention.

You sound nice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ande1975 wrote: »
    You sound nice :rolleyes:

Don't be so precious.

'Stop eating stupidly' if that makes you feel less triggered.

The point remains that most people who put on the guts of a stone over the lockdown ate mindlessly and far too much. I'm not saying they're stupid but that it was stupid eating. Everyone has done it to some degree in the past.

But presenting a show to lose that weight by getting participants to wat properly and do more exercise is being presented as something beyond what it is.

I've no issue with IF. It works for a lot of people. But by managing how much they eat.

Don't be so precious.

'Stop eating stupidly' if that makes you feel less triggered.

The point remains that most people who put on the guts of a stone over the lockdown ate mindlessly and far too much. I'm not saying they're stupid but that it was stupid eating. Everyone has done it to some degree in the past.

But presenting a show to lose that weight by getting participants to wat properly and do more exercise is being presented as something beyond what it is.

I've no issue with IF. It works for a lot of people. But by managing how much they eat.

Oh I am so sorry for being precious and triggered. You obviously adhere to the tough 'love' approach to losing weight. Its easy to just stop eating and moving more. I get it. Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Wow well done everyone great to read positive stories +5kg here since pandemic.
    I don't eat much in evening my issue is the mid morning snacking while working from home and hungry children about.
    On IF must it be combined with no-carb or is it working with 14 hours of no eating alone?
    Think I will start with 7pm - 9am fasting and combine my mid morning snacking with lunch.

ax530 wrote: »
    I don't eat much in evening my issue is the mid morning snacking while working from home and hungry children about.
    On IF must it be combined with no-carb or is it working with 14 hours of no eating alone?
    Think I will start with 7pm - 9am fasting and combine my mid morning snacking with lunch.

Hi Ax, have you done IF before?
    I started with 12 hours and built it up from there. I struggle to extend the fast without doing low carb.
    I bought some MCT oil and take a tablespoon in my coffee mid morning to extend the fast (technically it breaks it but only for a short period) but I can go longer.

Oh I am so sorry for being precious and triggered. You obviously adhere to the tough 'love' approach to losing weight. Its easy to just stop eating and moving more. I get it. Thank you so much.

You've obviously completely misread what I wrote because I didn't say any of what is in bold.

I said we have all eaten 'stupidly'. I have never said there isn't a psychological component to it.

But the show doesn't appear to address that. What it does is get people to change their eating, eat less and move more.

In the show, they are getting people to eat less and move more.

But feel free to show where I said it's easy to eat less and move more.

You've obviously completely misread what I wrote because I didn't say any of what is in bold.

I said we have all eaten 'stupidly'. I have never said there isn't a psychological component to it.

But the show doesn't appear to address that. What it does is get people to change their eating, eat less and move more.

In the show, they are getting people to eat less and move more.

But feel free to show where I said it's easy to eat less and move more.

Christ who's triggered now...

I came on this thread to read stories of people losing weight, what they have done, tips and tricks. I made the mistake of responding to your comment 'A show where they get people that put on a load of weight during lockdown to exercise more and stop eating like spastics. Doesn't take special sauce to make that a magical intervention.'
    Some people could be watching that program and getting some tips out of it. Your comment just belittled it and may put people off.
    You are obviously looking for an argument. No thanks.

Yeah come back now and itemise everything I've written above and ask me to give you proof of where you said it just proves my point.

Christ who's triggered now...

I came on this thread to read stories of people losing weight, what they have done, tips and tricks. I made the mistake of responding to your comment 'A show where they get people that put on a load of weight during lockdown to exercise more and stop eating like spastics. Doesn't take special sauce to make that a magical intervention.'
    Some people could be watching that program and getting some tips out of it. Your comment just belittled it and may put people off.
    You are obviously looking for an argument. No thanks.

Yeah come back now and itemise everything I've written above and ask me to give you proof of where you said it just proves my point.

Not triggered in the slighted. You just completely misrepresented what I said so I corrected you.

Also said I'd no issue with IF which is what Michael Mosley is all about.

ax530 wrote: »

Hi Ax530, I lost weight gradually with IF alone. I wouldn't say it was easy going.

I am losing weight far quicker now by using IF but also with keeping carbs low / avoiding certain carbs like potato, rice and bread. I think the key is not ever spiking blood sugar - your meals are more satisfying, and between meals you have no cravings if you can keep blood sugar always low.

Its worth reading up a bit - search for Micheal Mosley, Dr Jason Fung online or in podcast apps; or buy their books - all are very accessible and do a good job of explaining the science, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

A balanced diet should consist of the following: Protein: fish, chicken, red meat, dairy products, eggs, nuts and beans. Healthy fats: soft or liquid margarine, avocados, ground flaxseed, nuts and oils. Carbohydrates: fruits, starchy vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes.

So make sure to have a balance diet.

Hi Ax530, I lost weight gradually with IF alone. I wouldn't say it was easy going.

I am losing weight far quicker now by using IF but also with keeping carbs low / avoiding certain carbs like potato, rice and bread. I think the key is not ever spiking blood sugar - your meals are more satisfying, and between meals you have no cravings if you can keep blood sugar always low.

Its worth reading up a bit - search for Micheal Mosley, Dr Jason Fung online or in podcast apps; or buy their books - all are very accessible and do a good job of explaining the science, etc.

You can subscribe to Diet Doctor.com (a lot of content is free) for free for a month. Dr Jason Fung has videos/articles that are readily available that explain the benefits of low carb/IF diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

scilover wrote: »
    A balanced diet should consist of the following: Protein: fish, chicken, red meat, dairy products, eggs, nuts and beans. Healthy fats: soft or liquid margarine, avocados, ground flaxseed, nuts and oils. Carbohydrates: fruits, starchy vegetables, whole grains, beans and legumes.

So make sure to have a balance diet.

Healthy fats: soft or liquid margarine??? :eek:

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Healthy fats: soft or liquid margarine??? :eek:

Same thought CeeView... Jaysis Margarine....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

To everyone giving Mosley stick...There are plenty of studies that suggest the approach his suggesting in a short period and help reverse certain health issue...

The main ones being pre-diabetes and Type II Diabetes...

Also prolonged fast's can have benefits in terms of immune function...

There is a case where a man went on a very long fast(over 300 days) in hospital and lost a bucket load of weight...and wasn't left with lose skin...

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    To everyone giving Mosley stick...There are plenty of studies that suggest the approach his suggesting in a short period and help reverse certain health issue...

There is a case where a man went on a very long fast(over 300 days) in hospital and lost a bucket load of weight...and wasn't left with lose skin...

If I was among those you thought giving him stick, then I didn't phrase what I wanted to correctly.

I agree 100% that there is more than one way to skin a cat and IF works for people. They find it sustainable and that's the key.

But the main reason it works for a lot of people is because of reducing calories in a way that is sustainable for them. One person on another thread is finding it great and a main reason for the weight loss is the removal of late night snacking. That in itself is a great result.

I'm not saying other benefits don't exist but in the bigger picture they can sometimes be overplayed.

But absolutely I agree on it being a really powerful tool for people who find it sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

It sounds great in theory, but most radical approaches to losing weight don't work long term because people can't sustain them. And studies show that the faster people lose weight, the more likely they are to put it all back on and then some.

If you lose a heap of weight because you limited yourself to only eating at certain times, what happens when you eventually get fed up of that?

Unless you get a grasp on the average calorie contents of common foods and build solid habits, you will always be at the mercy of following the specific rules of whatever diet you're on.

Yes some people can do it for the long term, but they're in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m going to row in here because I’m kind of an example of all the above. I had a lot of weight to lose and started my journey in January. I wasn’t always overweight but I had a failed knee surgery which left me very immobile and if I’m honest, quite depressed. I piled on the weight over a 3 year period. When I started I simply put myself into calorie deficit and that worked well in the initial stages. Then I started intermittent fasting in March. In the beginning it was just 14 hrs but very quickly I moved to 18/6 and am still doing this. The benefits are great and I feel much healthier as a result of fasting and the weight loss - 63lbs to date. I sleep much better and my digestive system is much improved although that could also be attributed to the fact that I don’t take medication much anymore. Intermittent fasting has certainly worked for me but in combination with a calorie deficit diet. I don’t eat crap anymore and just eat smaller portions of proper food that I enjoy. It also means I don’t pick between meals. I know I won’t be able to keep to the 18/6 forever but hope to revert to 16/8 Monday to Fridays and 12 hr fasts at weekends once I lose another 7lbs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not sure which thread to post this, but I think it's a great move, let's hope more authorities stand up to the junk food industry.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1291489209937625088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Start - 17st 1lb
    Week 1 - 16st 13lb (-2) (-2)
    Week 2 - 16st 11lb (-2) (-4)
    Week 3 - 16st 9lb (-2) (-6)
    Week 4 - 16st 7lb (-2) (-8)
    Week 5 - 16st 6lb (-1) (-9)
    Week 6 - 16st 4lb (-2) (-11)
    Week 7 - 16st 1lb (-3) (-14)
    Week 8 - 16st 0lb (-1) (-15)
    Week 9 - 15st 13lb (-1) (-16)

Have stuck to my allotted calories over the last couple of weeks, but definitely noticed I have been walking a lot less (blaming the weather of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not sure which thread to post this, but I think it's a great move, let's hope more authorities stand up to the junk food industry.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1291489209937625088?s=19

Mexico has a HUGE problem with direct sales & marketing of junk food. It's not really comparable with here; vendors sponsored by Nestle and Coke literally go door to door pushing crap, even in really remote areas. Mexicans drink more Coke than any other liquid including water. It's bananas.

• Advertisement

So its been exactly a month since I began the Fast800 programme. During the week just gone I did experience a one-day slight increase in weight, perhaps indicating I am coming to a plateau. That aside, I am amazed to see in 31 days I have lost 9.5kg (21lb, or a stone and half) and that I am now within 2kg of my target range upper end (aiming to be 78-83kg sustained).

Day 0 - 94.10kg
    Day 25 - 85.10kg (-9.00kg)
    Day 28 - 85.50kg (-8.60kg)
    Day 31 - 84.60kg (-9.50kg)

Other metrics over the month also look good, e.g. Body Fat % was 20.8% on day 0, is now 18.4%. BMI was 32.9, is now 28.9. Also measured blood sugars - went from 6.7 I think to 4.4 yesterday.

Advertisement