Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Looks a real movie, unlike that self-indulgent Tenet dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks fantastic!
    The money is definitely on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tony EH wrote: »
    Chalamet is going to be a real, real, weak spot in this.

He looks like a teenager who wouldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.

The rest of the trailer looks great .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,429 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He looks like a teenager who wouldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.

The rest of the trailer looks great .

But that's how Paul is meant to look.
    Small for his age, and scrawny it's how he is described in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I dont see either Feyd Rautha,Princess Irulan or the emperor in the trailer or on IMBD site as being cast.
    Hopefully their saving them for the 2nd part.
    Surely these characters are too big to be left out altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kind of annoyed they showed the worms, I wanted that saved for the cinema but feck it.
    The worms are the money shot. They had to pop up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks good! Paul is so young! The Animal Test (not the hand in the box)!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

All aboard the Hype Train! Worm!

My only worry about the trailer so far is the mention of a "crusade". I'm hoping it refers to something other than the Fremen "jihad", but I know some moviegoers unfamiliar with the book will freak out if that word is used...

Anyway, ⊃∪∩⪽! ⊃∪∩⪽! ⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think the shield sfx from the original looked better

edit: looks like others agree

https://i.imgur.com/sdCbxVQ.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the trailer and that was as spectactular as I suspected it would be, coming from Denis Villeneuve. The muted colour palette is a little distracting at first but then it also gives Arakis a feeling as much of dust as of sand.

Yeah, the lack of "Jihad" was interesting but TBH I get it; when the book was released the word was just an exotic piece of rarely seen nomenclature. Now it has a completely different, much more insidious and dangerous meaning to people. No point bringing that kind of bad press upon the film's head for the sake of passing linguistic accuracy.

Proper excited now. A new adaptation of Dune - unbelievable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

From watching the trailer Dune has the makings of a big trilogy. I assume the critics will love it, hopefully it’s does well at the box office. It will be great having a franchise that isn’t Star Wars DC/marvel.... both of which are for the most part relatively dumb.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

From watching the trailer Dune has the makings of a big trilogy. I assume the critics will love it, hopefully it’s does well at the box office. It will be great having a franchise that isn’t Star Wars DC/marvel.... both of which are for the most part relatively dumb.

It's planned to be a two-parter movie, with each part able to standalone as their own thing, like the recent It movies. I hope the studio don't have super high expectations for the box office so that we actually get Part 2, because it's not Villeneuve has a strong box office record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Based on the tenet numbers,I think fair shot it's going to be delayed sadly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Spocker wrote: »
    That's pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The test of Tenet will be in the weeks to come. It has no competition and could run in theatres for months potentially. Same with Dune. It depends on the studio's confidence in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

pixelburp wrote: »
    Shít. It only just hit that our first will be barely out of the oven when this comes out. Home release for me then, there's no way we'll get to the cinema. Damn, I already resent my son lol (kidding, of course)

Good reason to go on your own I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I was very impressed with the trailer - thought i portrayed the characters\landscape very well. I just read the book in the last year as prep for this movie and for the most part everything translated very well...perhaps I saw Jessica\Leto being a bit older but everything else was great. Arrakis looks amazing and some of the money shot scenes (external desert and explosions scenes) came across epic to me.

I was wondering how they would do the sandworms and wasn't disappointed! from the shaking of the sand and then the final shot, definitely did the huge size of those justice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing is that the three or four major cities in the US still haven’t reopened cinemas - New York, LA etc... It’s hard to just how things will fare until that happens.

It’s still kind of surreal seeing all the American sites having big moral arguments over whether they should even be reviewing theatrical releases given the catastrophic situation over there. But that has a knock-on effect here, where cinemas have reopened seemingly without issue. Reality is there’s very few big releases on the schedule for the rest of the year, which will surely have multiplexes panicking a bit. Tenet hasn’t been the runaway audience hit that demands months of screenings, and it’s all fairly quiet until Bond shows up. Dune would have to be spectacular for it to prove a big Christmas blockbuster - it’s a nerdy proposition in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think if they delay Wonder Woman, they delay Dune. Wonder woman could take Dunes spot at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Timothy and the rest of the cast will attract audiences.... could be a mistake releasing it now though

Rember when movies didn’t have to be an existing IP to be the big box office movie ? The fifth element, the matrix ? So many creative movies were being made before marvel/Dc/Disney

And yes I know DUNE isn’t a new IP but.... for most it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I dont see either Feyd Rautha,Princess Irulan or the emperor in the trailer or on IMBD site as being cast.
    Hopefully their saving them for the 2nd part.
    Surely these characters are too big to be left out altogether?

Yeah you'd imagine they definitely would be in the second part, there's already a lot of characters to work with for Part 1. They'll probably get a mention in this one but even in the book I don't think they become significant or visible characters until the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

An orchestrated version of 'Eclipse' by Pink Floyd on the trailer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It’s still kind of surreal seeing all the American sites having big moral arguments over whether they should even be reviewing theatrical releases given the catastrophic situation over there. But that has a knock-on effect here, where cinemas have reopened seemingly without issue.
    Yeah, it's a little odd. Was reading a site where the articles are along the line, "Tenet is out in the cinema - but you should not go to the cinema!" They drag in health experts and everything whereas there's been no reports of transmission in the cinema here.

What they seem to suggest is "Wonder Woman 1984" getting delayed and that delay knocking "Dune" into 2021 as a result of all of this.

Spocker wrote: »
    Trailer from 1984 -v- 2020

Its hard to believe that the lead actor in both the 1984 version and the 2020 version were the same age during production.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Who's the actor in the " 'What's in the box?' 'Pain' " scene with Chalamet? Looks and sounds very like Cate Blanchett but she's not credited anywhere as being in the film.

Is that Charlotte Rampling?

Dial Hard wrote: »

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Who's the actor in the " 'What's in the box?' 'Pain' " scene with Chalamet? Looks and sounds very like Cate Blanchett but she's not credited anywhere as being in the film.

Yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Rampling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,894 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, the lack of "Jihad" was interesting

My guess is that that's just a trailer talking point. It'll have people exercised of it, but I reckon it'll be mentioned in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    That's pretty cool.
    It is. The comparison is probably flattering to Lynch because costuming, set design, and other visuals were the strongest part of his Dune.

Advertisement