Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

.ak wrote: »
    Problem is I flew through them, probably the quickest I've read 3 books before (I'm generally a very slow reader!). So I rewatched the Denis Lynch version the other day...

I wish I hadn't. I had fond memories of that movie. I'm not sure if its the re-reading of the book or what, but it felt like a 'Dune in 60 Seconds' cut a school project would put together, some of the bits incredibly laughable. No wonder Lynch disconnected himself from it! Ouch.
    David Lynch didn't disavow it exactly, but he has admitted that it's the red-headed stepchild of his movies. It does some things very well. The set design, costuming, music and effects are all great, and the actors are generally game, but as an adapted screenplay it's a bit lacking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This film is half of the first book. The haven't shot the second film and possibly never will if this isn't a success.

How long have they been at this one? Seems strange to not already be working on the 2nd one, given its only half the book. It'll be years before we get a conclusion if thats the case.

Definitely tempers my excitement for this a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭joficeduns1

I read the first two books after seeing the trailer last year and am unsure of where the half split will be of book one. Anyone hazard a guess maybe? Spoiler marked of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I read the first two books after seeing the trailer last year and am unsure of where the half split will be of book one. Anyone hazard a guess maybe? Spoiler marked of course.

Book 1, Dune itself rather than Dune Messiah.
    Is split into 3, Book 1; Dune, Book 2; Muad Dib and Book 3; The Prophet.

As I understand Villeneuve, he has made 1st movie to encompass Book 1 and 2 of the original novel as there is a very natural split point in the novel there.

banie01 wrote: »
    Book 1, Dune itself rather than Dune Messiah.
    Is split into 3, Book 1; Dune, Book 2; Muad Dib and Book 3; The Prophet.

As I understand Villeneuve, he has made 1st movie to encompass Book 1 and 2 of the original novel as there is a very natural split point in the novel there.

I get you, I'm recalling it now. In my mind that seems like there is a lack of content for a second film (not that the book lacks a sound conclusion). Will probably have another read-through later this year ahead of the (hopefully) theatric release.

• Advertisement

I get you, I'm recalling it now. In my mind that seems like there is a lack of content for a second film (not that the book lacks a sound conclusion). Will probably have another read-through later this year ahead of the (hopefully) theatric release.

If the split is between Muad-dib and The Prophet, it really would work quite well IMO.
    1st movie is character and world building with fantastic action sequence potential and a cogent ending.
    2nd movie is the payoff.
    Huge space opera, rebellion and war and intrigue on a grand scale (not that the 1st book/movie will lack that).

If the split is between Muad-dib and The Prophet, it really would work quite well IMO.
    1st movie is character and world building with fantastic action sequence potential and a cogent ending.
    2nd movie is the payoff.
    Huge space opera, rebellion and war and intrigue on a grand scale (not that the 1st book/movie will lack that).

Agree, but I can see the commercial concerns from WB. Will people engage with that? If anyone can pull it off it would be Villeneuve, but I'm hoping for a stellar marketing campaign (which started very well with the trailer and Colbert interviews last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If they release the movie when a lot of people are vaccinated and cinemas are open there could be huge pent up cinema demand and Dune could be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If they release the movie when a lot of people are vaccinated and cinemas are open there could be huge pent up cinema demand and Dune could be massive.

This. I’ve high hopes it’ll be a massive success, especially if it lands when people are allowed back into cinemas. It’ll fill a massive cinema epic void that people have been starved off for a while now.

Ah so it is split between Muad’dib and Prophet that makes total sense. I would consider them the first 3 books, no?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Ah so it is split between Muad’dib and Prophet that makes total sense. I would consider them the first 3 books, no?

I think originally Dune was split that way as it was serialised in a magazine, before being amalgamated into a single volume for publication as "Dune"

I wouldn't consider the splits as the 1st 3 books of the series though.
    IMO the 1st 3 are Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I was thinking the split would come after
    the fight with Jamis

That part to me would seem like a climax to the film

titan18 wrote: »
    I was thinking the split would come after
    the fight with Jamis

That part to me would seem like a climax to the film

True, that sequence and a couple of chapter after of world building and tying up are where "Muad-dib Book 2" finishes up.

True, that sequence and a couple of chapter after of world building and tying up are where "Muad-dib Book 2" finishes up.

Ya, you can go with that and have maybe 10-15 mins after it to tie up stuff. I'd imagine (especially since he was cast) that it ends there rather than earlier in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

To an extent. But people will much rather go to the old familiars when cinemas open up - Black Widow, Bond, Top Gun. Dune might actually be better off as a tool to get fanboys to subscribe to HBO Max, rather participating in a worldwide box office model that relies on extremely familiar IP and diluted storytelling for international audiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dune was always a risk, even before CoVid and I don't think things will have changed that much either. New IPs are simply the biggest blockbuster risk right now, especially one both relatively unknown nowadays, and more deeply cerebral than other space operas of that ilk. The first book not so much but the series went into really trippy, morally complex area. If WB are expecting or demanding a billion dollars from Dune then the sequel is dead, I'd call it right now. Villeneuve is one my favourite mainstream directors but he simply doesn't aim for the cheap seats, so to speak.

To an extent. But people will much rather go to the old familiars when cinemas open up - Black Widow, Bond, Top Gun. Dune might actually be better off as a tool to get fanboys to subscribe to HBO Max, rather participating in a worldwide box office model that relies on extremely familiar IP and diluted storytelling for international audiences.

There will be a massive boost to cinema attendance, I think people are probably sick of watching movies at home. I think this will play in Dunes favour. Combine that with some strong word of mouth and a well known/marketable cast there is a good chance of success.
    Blade runner 2097 was kind of an esoteric movie with a blockbuster budget and was unlikely to succeed. I think Dune is both esoteric and full of action. Kind of like the matrix. That was an unknown IP but had good word of mouth and a marketable cast and was also intelligent storytelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There will be a massive boost to cinema attendance, I think people are probably sick of watching movies at home. I think this will play in Dunes favour. Combine that with some strong word of mouth and a well known/marketable cast there is a good chance of success.
    Blade runner 2097 was kind of an esoteric movie with a blockbuster budget and was unlikely to succeed. I think Dune is both esoteric and full of action. Kind of like the matrix. That was an unknown IP but had good word of mouth and a marketable cast and was also intelligent storytelling.

We can't know how cinemas will do, there's an argument as powerful towards both audience desperation alongside communal agoraphobia or hypochondria. Can't just turn off 1+ years of isolation, and return to normalcy like nothing happened. Equally, it depends on how many markets open their cinemas: modern Hollywood box office success depends as much on international markets as it does local.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m confident cinemas will bounce back, much like I’m confident most social activities will bounce back. There’s a huge appetite for a return to normality out there, and assuming the vaccine rollout all but eliminates the virus I think you’ll see people back in cinemas swiftly. That’s not the same as saying Dune in particular will be a big hit or anything, just in general.

Interestingly, at least two films in Japan have broken local box office records over the past year that I’m aware of. This is despite social distancing, capacity restrictions and even a strict curfew at the moment.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/demon-slayer-record-japan-box-office-1234875410/

Dune being a big hit in Asia/China would be a big help in getting a sequel, I’m not sure what appetite there is for a movie like Dune there.

• Advertisement

Chalamet and Zendaya will be a big help for it tbf with younger crowds. It'll draw a lot more of a casual audience than other heavy sci-fi/nerd films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

titan18 wrote: »
    Chalamet and Zendaya will be a big help for it tbf with younger crowds. It'll draw a lot more of a casual audience than other heavy sci-fi/nerd films.

The original films casting was faultless in fairness, even sting pulled it off.

That role was Sting greatest contribution to culture.

That role was Sting greatest contribution to culture.

He's a ballbag but ya can't knock the police

I was never mad on the Baron's casting tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

At this rate, this looks like it'll be my first foray back to the cinema, and looking forward to it.i repeat my mantra; please don't suck. Please don't suck. One of my favourite directors helming one of my favourite books

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

trailer looks class

Villeneuve and Nolan two quality director putting out quality big budget films at the moment to vie with the superhero tripe

Cast looks great, not sure what they see in Ferguson and Momoa is atrocious but could play the one role as long as he doesn't have many lines

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have complete faith in Villeneuve. My main concern is that this is an unqualified financial success so that they can make the second half as planned.

• Advertisement

This is great news. An internet release would have been pirated and probably ruined any chance of another film.

Advertisement