Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

ixoy wrote: »
    Clips of the Baron looking evil.

Big wide shot of Paul in the desert with a thumper and then, with blaring orchestral music, a sandworm leaps out.

I'm kind of hoping they don't show the Baron & I have a feeling they wont show the worms. Some YouTuber's have now seen the trailer in a secret screening so I guess we will know soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Would they ever release a bloody trailer. :pac:

Would they ever release a bloody trailer. :pac:

sept 9th 5pm :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Teaser recorded in a theatre. Get it while it's hot (or before it's taken down).

https://streamable.com/qr2avv

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Teaser recorded in a theatre. Get it while it's hot (or before it's taken down).

Wow sweet. There's a guy emerging from some kind of mud bath about half way through. Think it was The Baron? Could have been The Beast though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

5/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Thanks for that :)
    Visually it looks incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going to resist until the clean and shiny official version comes out ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Going to resist until the clean and shiny official version comes out ...

It's a teaser for the trailer being released on September 9th. :pac:

https://twitter.com/trailertrack/status/1301513071417085954?s=20

3 mins trailer ? maybe the movie is 3 hours so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shít. It only just hit that our first will be barely out of the oven when this comes out. Home release for me then, there's no way we'll get to the cinema. Damn, I already resent my son lol (kidding, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

pixelburp wrote: »
    Shít. It only just hit that our first will be barely out of the oven when this comes out. Home release for me then, there's no way we'll get to the cinema. Damn, I already resent my son lol (kidding, of course)

Thats rotten luck. I'll be turning 40 the night of the premiere. Best present ever to see it

Thats rotten luck. I'll be turning 40 the night of the premiere. Best present ever to see it

Haha, I mean I should say I'm excited to meet my new best friend and adventure buddy - just for when he signs up to Boards and reads Dad's post history lol - but yeah I'm disappointed that having waited decades for another stab at Dune I'll miss the chance to see it on the big screen.

Come on second wave; push that release back a few more months! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

A trailer for a trailer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

and then some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

peteeeed wrote: »

Chalamet is going to be a real, real, weak spot in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Tony EH wrote: »

Not the Paul I imagined but I'm always disappointed with movie depictions of my own imagination.

Overall, I think it looks epic. Villeneuve might have cracked the impossible transition of Dune from book to film but we won't really know until we see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

Why’s that? I’m not familiar with Dune, is it a casting issue or acting ability?

I've not read the book but I do like chalamet and the trailer does look epic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hoping this gets pushed to 2021, looks like a real threat.

Where is Sting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Where is Sting ?

He’s off making sure people aren’t standing too close to one another.

brevity wrote: »
    Why’s that? I’m not familiar with Dune, is it a casting issue or acting ability?

Going by his line delivery in that trailer, I am not at all enthused by him. I wasn't thrilled at his casting in the first place though, I'll admit. But I fear he'll end up just being an annoying mumbler all the way through the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will we get a one on one between Aquaman and Drax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ohhh, that looks good.

Where is Sting ?

1:14

Second guy from the left, bottom of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I am enthusiastic about the trailer, and I am hopeful about Chalamet from what I've seen there.

Interesting that he used the word "crusade" where the books would have used "jihad". I wonder if they've toned down the Arabian analogues among the fremen seeing as that's all gotten harder to navigate since the book was written.
    brevity wrote: »
    Paul is a pretty difficult character to nail, because he's a protagonist who goes from the somewhat callow teenaged son of a duke to being a religious/military leader inspiring fanatical devotion over the course of the story and just a few years. It's difficult to cast someone who is really impressive at both halves of his story.

You can do a lot worse then Chalamet for this role, he has mostly made more independent movies, he has acting ability.... Also if your going to be a messiah/God you need great hair

Who else could you have gotten ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He also has that great youthful arrogance mode that's perfect for young Paul, and can switch into a much more human and emotional mode later on. Chalamet is a great choice imo.

I'm more excited to see what Rebecca Ferguson can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Will definitely be going to see that whenever it comes out. One of my favourite books since forever!

That trailer is everything I'd hoped for, and nothing I'd feared :D

I'm a very happy Dune fan right now!!!

Kind of annoyed they showed the worms, I wanted that saved for the cinema but feck it. The Beast looks cool as well as the body shields. I'm not going to watch any more trailers from now. I went to see Tenet having avoided everything except the first trailer and it was all the better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can do a lot worse then Chalamet for this role, he has mostly made more independent movies, he has acting ability.... Also if your going to be a messiah/God you need great hair
    Who else could you have gotten ?

He was very good in The King in a similar role... feckless prince thrust into battle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Looks a real movie, unlike that self-indulgent Tenet dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks fantastic!
    The money is definitely on the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He looks like a teenager who wouldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.

The rest of the trailer looks great .

He looks like a teenager who wouldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.

The rest of the trailer looks great .

But that's how Paul is meant to look.
    Small for his age, and scrawny it's how he is described in the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I dont see either Feyd Rautha,Princess Irulan or the emperor in the trailer or on IMBD site as being cast.
    Hopefully their saving them for the 2nd part.
    Surely these characters are too big to be left out altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kind of annoyed they showed the worms, I wanted that saved for the cinema but feck it.
    The worms are the money shot. They had to pop up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks good! Paul is so young! The Animal Test (not the hand in the box)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

All aboard the Hype Train! Worm!

My only worry about the trailer so far is the mention of a "crusade". I'm hoping it refers to something other than the Fremen "jihad", but I know some moviegoers unfamiliar with the book will freak out if that word is used...

Anyway, ⊃∪∩⪽! ⊃∪∩⪽! ⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽⊃∪∩⪽!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think the shield sfx from the original looked better

edit: looks like others agree

https://i.imgur.com/sdCbxVQ.gif

Caught the trailer and that was as spectactular as I suspected it would be, coming from Denis Villeneuve. The muted colour palette is a little distracting at first but then it also gives Arakis a feeling as much of dust as of sand.

Yeah, the lack of "Jihad" was interesting but TBH I get it; when the book was released the word was just an exotic piece of rarely seen nomenclature. Now it has a completely different, much more insidious and dangerous meaning to people. No point bringing that kind of bad press upon the film's head for the sake of passing linguistic accuracy.

Proper excited now. A new adaptation of Dune - unbelievable :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement