Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

AMKC wrote: »
    Over a third of Covid cases in Dublin is young people under the age of 25. I day lock down some of Dublin but not all of it. So leave South Dublin they seem to be good but the Dublin North west and Dublin South East need to be locked down. They have a high number of cases.

You can't draw arbitrary lines throughout the county, it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

CBear1993 wrote: »
    We’ll wear masks
    Absolutely not ever. Over my dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GT89 wrote: »
    Does it matter if it runs out of control as it is clear it is not a very deadly virus

4% is a relatively low mortality rate, until it's someone you know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

AMKC wrote: »
    It is to give Pubs time to restock and get workers back. They can't just open like that without any stock to sell. They have made a loss doing it 3 times already. So maybe they will be lucky the 4th time.

I said they should be allowed to reopen tommorrow. Each induvidual publican can make his/her mind up as to when it is appropriate to reopen.

gimli2112 wrote: »

How many of that 4% of people who die from it died of Covid 19 and Covid 19 alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

biko wrote: »
    We will need a wall, and Dublin will pay for it.

Dublin had a wall and it got knocked down. BArbarians at the gates etc

How many of that 4% of people who die from it died of Covid 19 and Covid 19 alone.

Here goes another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I was at the wheel I'd let a few counties go with the Swedish approach and see how they get on over 3 months compared to the rest of the country. At the end of the day you can't compare living conditions in Dublin with say Leitrim, it's a completely different level of human congestion and interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

No its not its Dublin goes under ya all do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Does it matter if it runs out of control as it is clear it is not a very deadly virus

Personally I'm divided on whether its serious or not.

But I don't make the decisions that count. And the evidence is Nphet, etc are lockdown happy and want to keep a lid on it. So if they do want to keep a lid on it, a 2 week lockdown of Dublin now would be preferable to a 2 month one later if it gets completely out of control.

Or they could just follow the Sweden model of living with it and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

Why is Covid not a problem in Africa? Because Africa doesn't have an economy worth crashing.

Why is Covid not a problem in Africa? Because Africa doesn't have an economy worth crashing.

There's enough threads for that crap already.

M

Low level of testing, low level of obesity and the unwell, means very few deaths that can be "linked" to it. The place could be riddled with it and nobody would really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I hope the lockdown will be televised.

I hope my television licence fee is paying for it. The pilot they showed for the first episode was crap, they'd no cast, the streets were empty, and they ran over budget. Hopefully the next lockdown will have a few zombies or green party members in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Low level of testing, low level of obesity and the unwell, means very few deaths that can be "linked" to it. The place could be riddled with it and nobody would really know.

and who apart from WHO would give a **** let them get on with it as we will

M

and who apart from WHO would give a **** let them get on with it as we will

There's also very few countries there that will blow billions on some snake oil vaccine that you will have to top up on regularly like credit on a phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Personally I'm divided on whether its serious or not.

But I don't make the decisions that count. And the evidence is Nphet, etc are lockdown happy and want to keep a lid on it. So if they do want to keep a lid on it, a 2 week lockdown of Dublin now would be preferable to a 2 month one later if it gets completely out of control.

Or they could just follow the Sweden model of living with it and hope for the best.

How are Sweden getting on all things considered? Genuinely haven’t looked at them in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that didn't take too long....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have thought so since 2005 :D

A quick search of your posts on the capital reveals a long seated, irrational hatred.

I'm surprised, even at you getting low kicks and cheap shots as the capital city is hit worst by the C-19 pandemic. I know you've had your knuckles wrapped a few times with your bile, hatred and disgusting name calling when it comes to Dublin and it's inhabitants, but you keep at it for some reason and this is a new low.

To take delight at any neighbourhood or part of our island being hit bad by the pandemic is nasty and juvenile. This is a post you will be ashamed of when this is all over and people celebrate the kindnesses shown throughout the ordeal. While there are very few deaths now people are suffering in hospitals and at home and grieving for lost friends and relatives.

Back on track. Anyone with any idea of the economics of the country will know the city won't be locked down. Pointless anyway as household mingling is the driver of the spread within the capital. A serious cessation of visiting has to be adhered to. How it will be enforced is hard to see.

Short answer, no. Hugs.

• Advertisement

The reason there's been an spike in cases is because there has been an increase in testing. If you increased the amount of IQ tests you'd get a spike in morons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

gimli2112 wrote: »

I disagree, 4% is pretty high. Fortunately covid-19 is estimated at 0.3%, although given the huge amount of asymptomatic infections, is probably lower. That said, it's obvious that vulnerable people must be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

No more lockdown. Live with the virus. Let it get out of control. Let people die.

Jesus, you get tired of listening to this crap. It has been the common approach almost everywhere to have local lockdowns as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

John_Rambo wrote: »
    A quick search of your posts on the capital reveals a long seated, irrational hatred.

I'm surprised, even at you getting low kicks and cheap shots as the capital city is hit worst by the C-19 pandemic. I know you've had your knuckles wrapped a few times with your bile, hatred and disgusting name calling when it comes to Dublin and it's inhabitants, but you keep at it for some reason and this is a new low.

To take delight at any neighbourhood or part of our island being hit bad by the pandemic is nasty and juvenile. This is a post you will be ashamed of when this is all over and people celebrate the kindnesses shown throughout the ordeal. While there are very few deaths now people are suffering in hospitals and at home and grieving for lost friends and relatives.

Back on track. Anyone with any idea of the economics of the country will know the city won't be locked down. Pointless anyway as household mingling is the driver of the spread within the capital. A serious cessation of visiting has to be adhered to. How it will be enforced is hard to see.

The overwhelming majority of highly paid city centre workers already work from home. A lockdown will make no difference to them. A lockdown of Dublin would largely target non economic social gatherings, eg non essential journeys, or non essential visits to other people's houses. The government are already advising this.
    We could of course just let covid19 run riot in Dublin and this could lead to an even more severe lockdown at a later date. So two difficult options to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you increased the amount of IQ tests you'd get a spike in morons too.
    IQ represents the population as a whole, which means with more IQ testing you get equal amounts of morons and non-morons.
    Fun fact, a moron has an IQ of approx 50-70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No more lockdown. Live with the virus. Let it get out of control. Let people die.

Jesus, you get tired of listening to this crap. It has been the common approach almost everywhere to have local lockdowns as needed.

Are you arguing with yourself there chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The overwhelming majority of highly paid city centre workers already work from home. A lockdown will make no difference to them. A lockdown of Dublin would largely target non economic social gatherings, eg non essential journeys, or non essential visits to other people's houses. The government are already advising this.
    We could of course just let covid19 run riot in Dublin and this could lead to an even more severe lockdown at a later date. So two difficult options to choose from.

That's not a lockdown. That's stopping people visit each others house, you're right regarding the targeted people though.

People will still be able to travel in and out of the city and to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Feeling is mutual compadre. I also get sick of those condoning the return of lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think another lockdown (while I agree with one in principle) will be a complete waste of time. People are sick of it. There will be zero compliance. There's no fear anymore. I think anyone who wants to keep themselves safe should just do their own lockdown to be honest. That's what we've planned for October to December. OH working from home. I'm on mat leave. Elderly parents with underlying conditions, next door that we need to think about as well as our baby.

We are getting ourselves prepared for three months at home anyway. Batten down the hatches and I couldn't give a sh*t about anyone who go wants to go to a house party or lick the toilet seat in the local or do their shopping in Dunnes with their mask around their neck like an idiot.

Its much better if we all just look out for ourselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Feeling is mutual compadre. I also get sick of those condoning the return of lockdowns

Why what alternative do we have? In a densely populated area like Dublin when cases start rising, that will get out of control very quickly. All that will end up happening is a much longer lockdown in the future unless you stop it early and bring cases down. It has been an approach almost everywhere in the world.

Unlike you, I don't have a black and white opinion. Lockdowns aren't some religious belief. No lockdown ever again, wtf. Go back to your looney Facebook groups.

The situation will be evaluated by experts and they will decide what is or isn't needed.

Advertisement