Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Not my experience. Steam, Battle.net and Xbox's servers gave me a consistent 17MB/s download speed. Updated Warzone yesterday since moving to 500Mb/s and Battle.net was downloading at roughly 59MB/s.

Steam would be one of those few exceptions that can saturate a connection. My xbox One X has a 5ghz wifi connection to the router and rarely hits 73 Mbps, and is usually half that or less, while my laptop with a 5ghz connection to the same router manages 16 MBs over wifi. Just a couple days ago, COD modern warfare updated at only around 21 Mbps.

Does your Xbox have an ethernet connection?

But apart from that, I have experience with two FTTH providers and Eir has the most stable, consistent and technically best connection of the two, so for someone really wanting to use a 1000 Mbps connection beyond speed tests, I would recommend Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

cnocbui wrote: »
    Does your Xbox have an ethernet connection?
    Everything except mobile phones, laptops, and Google homes are on ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

strange - my Digiweb speeds seem to be all over the place (FTTH 150mbps)

Going through 5G connection on my laptop (I shall try wired tomorrow) I was getting around 120 - 130mbps down and consistently 29mbs up

Now I am getting 61mbps down and ironically upload has gone up to 48mbps ping 10ms

so upload has improved and download has decreased for some reason :D

it was my wireless card on the laptop - just done a wired test with ethernet cable and got 167mbits down .... ooops sorry 167Mbps :D

still funny that the upload speed has increased - when I first had FTTH installed it was 29Mbps and now its 48Mbps

on another note the laptop I was testing with is a new'ish one - the ethernet is a gigabit card (10/100/1000) and there is a setting for 'Vlan enabled' but no way I could set Vlan 10 or whatever it is to test straight from the ethernet cable coming straight from the ONT - I had to turn off the wireless on the router and put an ethernet cable into LAN2 socket (lan1 socket has ethernet cable from ONT in it) and then put the ethernet from Lan2 to the laptop to test wired - just putting in the cable from the ONT straight into the ethernet socket on the laptop connected but 'no internet' - thats why i think I have to set Vlan 10 on the network adaptor of the laptop if I want to cut out the router altogether.
    Any idea please?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

Has anyone here recently switched from Eir to Vodafone for FTTH? I just completed an online order for a relative and Vodafone are talking about scheduling an appointment. Surely they are not going to send out a KN installer for a switch? I thought they'd just post the router and that would be it. They don't need to replace the ONT do they?

They never asked for the UAN or any details of the current connection, just Eircode and IBAN.

So, for anyone who has done this switch from Eir did you get an engineer visit? Thanks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Grnsj wrote: »
    Has anyone here recently switched from Eir to Vodafone for FTTH? I just completed an online order for a relative and Vodafone are talking about scheduling an appointment. Surely they are not going to send out a KN installer for a switch? I thought they'd just post the router and that would be it. They don't need to replace the ONT do they?

They never asked for the UAN or any details of the current connection, just Eircode and IBAN.

If they didn't ask for a UAN, then it's not going to be a switch but a new provide. In that situation the KNIS guy is supposed to either (a) run a completely new fibre drop and install a second ONT, leaving the first in place, or (b) walk away from the job.

In practice, what's likely to happen is that a new ONT will be installed on the existing fibre drop and the new provide order marked complete. This will leave the old service active, which will lead to your relative having to deal with the cancellation of the eir service themselves, once they find to their surprise that they're still being billed by eir.

The short version: if you're switching provider on an open eir-provided service, you need to provide a UAN. If you're not asked for a UAN, the new provider is doing it wrong. You can't - for good reason - switch without a UAN.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If they didn't ask for a UAN, then it's not going to be a switch but a new provide. In that situation the KNIS guy is supposed to either (a) run a completely new fibre drop and install a second ONT, leaving the first in place, or (b) walk away from the job.

In practice, what's likely to happen is that a new ONT will be installed on the existing fibre drop and the new provide order marked complete. This will leave the old service active, which will lead to your relative having to deal with the cancellation of the eir service themselves, once they find to their surprise that they're still being billed by eir.

The short version: if you're switching provider on an open eir-provided service, you need to provide a UAN. If you're not asked for a UAN, the new provider is doing it wrong. You can't - for good reason - switch without a UAN.

Thanks for the detailed response. You've confirmed my fear that it would be a new installation. Vodafone even say before the online order process that you need a UAN then they don't ask for it during the order. I'll have to try to contact them tomorrow to attempt to rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

It looks like Eir are doing an urban fibre rollout in Ballina, Mayo. For the past few weeks KN have been replacing and upgrading ducking. Today OpenEir are pumping fibre into an estate in Ballina.

Is there a separate thread for Eir's urban fibre rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

How many houses are serviced by those DP boxes on polls? Would one box service 6, 10, 20 houses? If you have an estate of 40 houses, how many of these would be needed in around an estate?

On a related note, is there any place I can read more on how Fibre works, whats needed etc? Just have a general curiosity of how it works, from build to finish. Want to educate myself a little more from the base knowledge Ive gained from reading threads in here etc.

...all while I wait for NBI :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still funny that the upload speed has increased - when I first had FTTH installed it was 29Mbps and now its 48Mbps

Are you on Siro or OpenEir? Both your upload and download are higher than what OpenEir set's. 150/30 on Eir ususually max's out at around 148/29 on speedtests.

If it's Digiweb your with you should be getting about 500/50 as they no longer offer speeds of 150 or 300. Your upload looks correct for that plan but your download looks like as if it hasn't changed to 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

user1842 wrote: »
    It looks like Eir are doing an urban fibre rollout in Ballina, Mayo. For the past few weeks KN have been replacing and upgrading ducking. Today OpenEir are pumping fibre into an estate in Ballina.

Is there a separate thread for Eir's urban fibre rollout?
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057946234/27/#post114322071

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Grnsj wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed response. You've confirmed my fear that it would be a new installation. Vodafone even say before the online order process that you need a UAN then they don't ask for it during the order. I'll have to try to contact them tomorrow to attempt to rectify this.

I helped a friend place an order with VF last week (Switching from eir) the site never asked for UAN on sign up either. He had to call them and they took the UAN number. It don't think they have even set an switchover date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Gonzo wrote: »
    Are you on Siro or OpenEir? Both your upload and download are higher than what OpenEir set's. 150/30 on Eir ususually max's out at around 148/29 on speedtests.

If it's Digiweb your with you should be getting about 500/50 as they no longer offer speeds of 150 or 300. Your upload looks correct for that plan but your download looks like as if it hasn't changed to 500.

yes, Digiweb FTTH - emailed tech support today .

new customers get 3 months for 25eur - I have been paying 55eur a month , past the year now with Digiweb. I dont know whether to stay with them or try save money changing providers ... what puts me off is hearing people still paying a connection / installation charge even if the fibre optic cable and ONt is in situ already. They have been good though Digiweb .. hardly ever had a problem with them. Maybe it will be better to stick with them ? if it aint broke dont fix and all that , but the extra money saved if I did change per month would come in hand obviously

fmannix10 wrote: »
    I helped a friend place an order with VF last week (Switching from eir) the site never asked for UAN on sign up either. He had to call them and they took the UAN number. It don't think they have even set an switchover date yet.

I rang them today and it was a disaster. Firstly, sales informed me it was normal and that I'd need to cancel the eir account myself. He transferred me to "tech" who had no visibility of the order and subsequently transferred me to "customer care" where I was listening to music for twenty minutes before the call abruptly disconnected.

Whatever about normal times where sending an engineer out is wasting fuel and the customer's time, I think it's a bit much during a pandemic to be needlessly sending people to customer's homes.

I'm going to mention it to a tech guy on Twitter and get him to embarrass some Vodafone executives publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Exactly the case. A second line won't be going in, the line will be checked then it will be stated you have a ftth line! then a new ont registered in place with the new provider. Lot of "switches" arent switches at all just provider putting in an order to provide customer with a line and service. If one was to put the old ont back on it would still work with the previous provider as it's not actually cancelled. The line and port doesn't hold the customers account, the ont does.
    This is how it is when someone moves out and someone else moves in setting up their account for the first time. But have seen many an install where it's drop a new ont and register it give customer a modem. So much waste. When it goes right we don't see it at all.
    Openeirs system really should be flagging whether or not a ftth install has ever been done on a premises. If they can index an eircode to a ftth dp surely they should be able to say if the eircode has an active ftth line irregardless of provider.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Exactly the case. A second line won't be going in the first will be checked then a new ont registered in place with the new provider.
    Not trying to tell you your job, but if you are given a new provide order and it turns out that the customer wanted to switch an in-situ service, you're supposed to refer the job instead of completing it. If you just swap the ONT on the in-situ line you're going against the documented process.
    Openeirs system really should be flagging whether or not a ftth install has ever been done on a premises. If they can index an eircode to a ftth dp surely they should be able to say if the eircode has an active ftth line irregardless of provider.

They can, and they do. The retailer should be running an NLE order on UG before placing the provide order. If the NLE indicates an in-situ service, they should ask the customer for their UAN before proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Not trying to tell you your job, but if you are given a new provide order and it turns out that the customer wanted to switch an in-situ service, you're supposed to refer the job instead of completing it. If you just swap the ONT on the in-situ line you're going against the documented process.

They can, and they do. The retailer should be running an NLE order on UG before placing the provide order. If the NLE indicates an in-situ service, they should ask the customer for their UAN before proceeding.

I'm with you on that Oscar but it's a somewhat grey area you tell them there is already a connection. They have fibre already then there's I'm changing and have cancelled with so and so but it's still working? Are you sure you cancelled? In some cases they have or haven't paid the bill ont is solid lock but internet light is off. Where do we even begin to troubleshoot that?
    Conversations usually go with homeowner in the height of it with a third person who's not in the room the former ISP.
    "I've been onto comreg and have emails back and forth I'm just getting a new start. Just install the line."
    Or the other. "I've only moved in the last guy was Joe mcdonagh I'm John mcdonagh."
    We really don't care to get caught up in what the customer wants when they are telling us to go ahead. But we do state that there is a working line already at the premises!

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I'm with you on that Oscar but it's a somewhat grey area you tell them there is already a connection. They have fibre already then there's I'm changing and have cancelled with so and so but it's still working? Are you sure you cancelled? In some cases they have or haven't paid the bill ont is solid lock but internet light is off. Where do we even begin to troubleshoot that?
    Conversations usually go with homeowner in the height of it with a third person who's not in the room the former ISP.
    "I've been onto comreg and have emails back and forth I'm just getting a new start. Just install the line."
    Or the other. "I've only moved in the last guy was Joe mcdonagh I'm John mcdonagh."
    We really don't care to get caught up in what the customer wants when they are telling us to go ahead. But we do state that there is a working line already at the premises!

I understand the position you find yourself in, but the documented process is unambiguous: a new provide order can only be completed if you install a completely new drop, leaving the existing line installed and operational. If the customer wants to switch an in-situ connection, they have to provide a UAN.

If there's a connection in place you shouldn't be sent out to do an installation; it should be electronically enabled unless the operator selects the "insitu - site visit required" option.

If the customer insists that they want a new connection, the IPM says that you have to install a completely new drop.

There are edge cases, but as we've seen from recent posts in this thread the core problem is that some providers - and I'm aware of at least three who are guilty of this - are accepting orders without bothering to check whether there's an in-situ service. They'll keep doing this as long as KNIS crews continue to complete new provide orders by swapping ONTs, against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unbelievable work done by all engineers involved in fixing the broadband/Fibre connections around the country.

I think after the storm there was around 4-5 thousand outages and the engineers have been working non stop including today to get services back working

It's so good to have my broadband working again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone on Airwire having connection problems this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

limnam wrote: »

Yeah I did .......but is ok now ........ not sure if it came good itself or if it was me changing the DNS setting.

Was set to 8.8.8.8 and I changed it to use providers DNS.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

limnam wrote: »

It was a problem with our datacentre provider. We have a few circuits down in Dublin, but we sorted the main issue in less than half an hour.

Apologies for the disruption.

As always, we post the bigger outages on our twitter feed: https://twitter.com/airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

It was a problem with our datacentre provider. We have a few circuits down in Dublin, but we sorted the main issue in less than half an hour.

Apologies for the disruption.

As always, we post the bigger outages on our twitter feed: https://twitter.com/airwire

Thanks Martin!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Video wrote: »
    So just contacted eir because contract is up this week.. they quoted me 72 euro for a 24 month contract for 1gig
    66 euro for 500 meg also 24 month contract.... pretty sure i'm gonna be leaving eir... scandalous pricing and it's available to others for 55 a month but only new customers.

My contract was up this week as well ( 300 mbps) , so just ask them to cancel the service as I want to switch to different network , they immediately offered me new contract €54.99 for 1 gigabit 24 months and I’ve signed it . They also had option 150 mbps for €45 and 12 months contract.

A colleague has just signed up for Airwire's 150/30 product.

I thought this product was being slowly eased out of the market, and 500/50 was going to be the new minimum product. Is this in train?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KOR101 wrote: »

I thought this product was being slowly eased out of the market, and 500/50 was going to be the new minimum product. Is this in train?

The 300 product is being phased out.

Only NBI have said they will offer 500 as a minimum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd say it is only a matter of time before the 150 and 300 plans will go. Digiweb were the first to completely get rid of the 150 and 300 plans with 500 as a minimum.

Eir abandoned the 300 nearly a year ago but they haven't replaced it with anything. Perhaps if Eir do eventually get rid of the 150 they will replace it with the 500 but the probably won't do that until the NBI is up and running with 500 as a minimum.

The Cush wrote: »
    The 300 product is being phased out.

Only NBI have said they will offer 500 as a minimum.
    What about this...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113913129&postcount=621

From this article...

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nbp-to-triple-basic-broadband-speed-for-500000-rural-residents-39332805.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Same wholesale pricing for the 150/500 profiles but no mention of the 500 replacing the 150 profile, as yet.
    https://www.openeir.ie/promotions-and-price-reductions/
    The new higher speeds are understood to be related to a price cut from rival operator Eir, which now has more than 300,000 passed fibre broadband premises and is aggressively trying to capture a fibre customer base. Underlying prices for the new State-funded rural broadband are pegged to those offered by the country's biggest operators, chief among them Eir. The former incumbent recently announced a €5 price cut on higher-end wholesale broadband, placing its 500Mbs broadband service at the same price as its 150Mbs service.

• Advertisement

Would be nice to hear what Airwire's plans are.

Advertisement