Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    drop an email to ccm@eir.ie (Eir complaints) and explain exactly the issue, keep onto them every few days via email then if still no joy after about 10 days then add consumerline@comreg.ie into the address line .. then add Eir CEO carolan.lennon@eir.ie .. ringing Eir is a waste of time ..

Thanks, but .....

Whatever I do from now will be by post, not email, if I ever get a postal address for some department which will deal with it.
    They are quite happy to use post to send invoices to me but not receive any post from me? Not acceptable to me!

They can continue to waste their resources sending out invoices which will not be paid.
    I might even just mark their envelopes 'Return to Sender' in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Just a reminder. I have to rely on 4G mobile broadband; things were seeming slow this morning so I did a speediest: 1.14 down, 1.47 up. I did a reconnect to the service and it went up to 25.2 down, 14.2 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thank, but .....

Whatever I do from now will be by post, not email, if I ever get a postal address for some department which will deal with it.
    They are quite happy to use post to send invoices to me but not receive any post from me? Not acceptable to me!

They can continue to waste their resources sending out invoices which will not be paid.
    I might even just mark their envelopes 'Return to Sender' in the future!

Postal address is here: https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-letter

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Marlow wrote: »

Thanks ...... but still hit problems ......

I attempted to make arrangements for nightline to collect the router and this is what happens ......

http://www.nightline-delivers.com/eir/home
    This site can’t be reachedwww.nightline-delivers.com took too long to respond.

This is just further unnecessary annoyance.
    How much effort am I expected to put into returning this router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I attempted to make arrangements for nightline to collect the router and this is what happens ......

It’s all designed to fook with your mind to stop you leaving or punish you if you have already left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    It’s all designed to fook with your mind to stop you leaving or punish you if you have already left.

I followed this which I found on another thread and it was pretty painless.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111455725&postcount=31

limnam wrote: »
    I followed this which I found on another thread and it was pretty painless.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111455725&postcount=31

I am long since left ..... but still have a router belonging to Eir.
    I want rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I am long since left ..... but still have a router belonging to Eir.
    I want rid of it!

They sent me a free postal address to send it to.

Just marked with account number and woosh! it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Thank, but .....

As you are saying that they never sent the modem to you then billing you for its non-return means that they hold incorrect data on you. So you could contact their data controller and request it be fixed. Then they will be committing an offence, if they keep contacting you. I have found that this often gets problems solved quickly.

Although some times stronger legal treats are needed. Once I was treatended with suspension from university and evection from student accomidation for non-payment of accomadation fees, after the accounts department had lost the records of my payments. The problem was fixed with in an hour (with an apology from accounts department) after I dropped the letter into the head of the university, saying I would seek an injunction if suspended.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    They sent me a free postal address to send it to.

Just marked with account number and woosh! it was gone.

Yeah, I got something similar ...... but the modem specified for return was not the one I received with the contract.
    There being no way to prove anything if I used that method I instead wrote to them pointing out the error and requesting a corrected return slip. They never replied. Just began sending invoices.

That there is no possibility of tracking the return or even proving what was returned is more nonsense from Eir!
    Of course they have since killed my eircom/eir email accounts so those are no longer valid. No doubt Eir records continue to show that deleted email contact info!

They really are a mess.

This site can’t be reached www.nightline-delivers.com took too long to respond.

I got through to the nightline site today but find I cannot set up a return that way either .... this is what I get .....

Eir-Failed-Return.png

I had entered the account number quoted on the invoices I receive!
    It seems Eir does not wish to allow me to return this and does not wish to communicate with me on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

does anyone have a positive experience after switching to vodafone? as always the pricing is tempting for a years contract

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Video wrote: »
    does anyone have a positive experience after switching to vodafone? as always the pricing is tempting for a years contract

I've been with them since December and it's been an average experience overall.

Bearing in mind I took out the service pre-covid, I was slightly more casual in selecting a ISP - i.e. was more price oriented and less so on the quality of service side.

Fundamentally they've been fine, although I did have 3 days (non-consecutive) of no service at all, and am still none the wiser as to the reason. (Massive packet loss or no service at all (LOS light on the ONT/ODP) - neighbours unaffected.)

This is the main problem with Vodafone, whereas unlike Eir, you'll always get someone to speak to, they aren't very competent at understanding or fixing problems.

Every time I got a loss of service, they would barely do any troubleshooting and just send an engineer out, even though it was highly likely that it wasn't a fibre issue, and that by the time they arrived, the issue didnt exist any more.

When I initially got the connection, I needed access to edit the routing table (which they give you read-only access to in the interface), but they had no idea what I meant (including level 2/3) and offered a static IP instead(?!). I ended up giving up, and now the Gigabox is a paperweight in our guest room and an Ubiquiti Edgerouter runs the connection.

Bottom line/TLDR: If you don't need anything special from your connection and can accept some outage time, they will be likely be fine for you. If you require minimal downtime due to WFH, and/or a competent/pragmatic approach to troubleshooting when something goes wrong, then you might be better off with the likes of Digiweb or Airwire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I've been with them since December and it's been an average experience overall.

Bearing in mind I took out the service pre-covid, I was slightly more casual in selecting a ISP - i.e. was more price oriented and less so on the quality of service side.

Fundamentally they've been fine, although I did have 3 days (non-consecutive) of no service at all, and am still none the wiser as to the reason. (Massive packet loss or no service at all (LOS light on the ONT/ODP) - neighbours unaffected.)

This is the main problem with Vodafone, whereas unlike Eir, you'll always get someone to speak to, they aren't very competent at understanding or fixing problems.

Every time I got a loss of service, they would barely do any troubleshooting and just send an engineer out, even though it was highly likely that it wasn't a fibre issue, and that by the time they arrived, the issue didnt exist any more.

When I initially got the connection, I needed access to edit the routing table (which they give you read-only access to in the interface), but they had no idea what I meant (including level 2/3) and offered a static IP instead(?!). I ended up giving up, and now the Gigabox is a paperweight in our guest room and an Ubiquiti Edgerouter runs the connection.

Bottom line/TLDR: If you don't need anything special from your connection and can accept some outage time, they will be likely be fine for you. If you require minimal downtime due to WFH, and/or a competent/pragmatic approach to troubleshooting when something goes wrong, then you might be better off with the likes of Digiweb or Airwire etc.

Thanks for the warning...i've only seen negative posts about vodafone so was looking for more opinions ....Digiweb is looking to be the winner so far even though i don't like their fair usage policy but i'm holding off for a while because i'm waiting on a call back from eirs cancellation team. I haven't had any outages with eir, apart from 1 hour when they were changing something months ago.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...I needed access to edit the routing table...

Out of curiosity, why? I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where you might want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I have a layer 3 switch running most routing functions and multiple subnets in the house, and from memory - I needed to add static routes on the Gigabox so that traffic would be routed back to those subnets

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I got through to the nightline site today but find I cannot set up a return that way either .... this is what I get .....

Eir-Failed-Return.png

I had entered the account number quoted on the invoices I receive!
    It seems Eir does not wish to allow me to return this and does not wish to communicate with me on the matter.

I rang them about this crap today, I was getting the same.

It seem's that they don't bother to tell Nightline to expect a return from your account until AFTER the 31 day notice has expired. Took an hour on hold to find this out, even though they emailed with equipment return instructions as soon as I requested cancellation.

Kencollins wrote: »
    I rang them about this crap today, I was getting the same.

It seem's that they don't bother to tell Nightline to expect a return from your account until AFTER the 31 day notice has expired. Took an hour on hold to find this out, even though they emailed with equipment return instructions as soon as I requested cancellation.

Mine is well outside the 31 days ........ maybe too long I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

My house in Lusk Nth Dublin has just gone available soon
    KN ran cables in March, we are in one of the housing estates. not rural
    Anyone know average time before going live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Is anyone on Vodafone 1000 Mb through eir network. If so can you post a speedtest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Is anyone on Vodafone 1000 Mb through eir network. If so can you post a speedtest?

Why. Pointless your environment will be totally different to someone else’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Why. Pointless your environment will be totally different to someone else’s.
    Yes it will be on a different exchange but i have seen people say VF has a lot of contention issues in general. I've not seen any proof of that though. I'm just interested to see if customers are getting anywhere close to advertised speed on their 1Gig service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

strange - my Digiweb speeds seem to be all over the place (FTTH 150mbps)

Going through 5G connection on my laptop (I shall try wired tomorrow) I was getting around 120 - 130mbps down and consistently 29mbs up

Now I am getting 61mbps down and ironically upload has gone up to 48mbps ping 10ms

so upload has improved and download has decreased for some reason :D

61 mbps is really slow. Do you mean 61 Mbps?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't think millibits are a thing.

I don't think millibits are a thing.

Neither do I!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing broadband outages every where including my home and I was suppose to work from home today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fmannix10 wrote: »

I have had FTTH with Eir - if you really want 1000 Mbps, go with Eir. 150 Mbps is plenty for me. Very few bits of the internet can supply data, even at that rate, Microsoft xbox servers rarely manage even half that, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have had FTTH with Eir - if you really want 1000 Mbps, go with Eir. 150 Mbps is plenty for me. Very few bits of the internet can supply data, even at that rate, Microsoft xbox servers rarely manage even half that, for instance.
    Not my experience. Steam, Battle.net and Xbox's servers gave me a consistent 17MB/s download speed. Updated Warzone yesterday since moving to 500Mb/s and Battle.net was downloading at roughly 59MB/s.

Advertisement