Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you renew contract with eir will they send the new and improved router or do they only do that for new customers?

I've just renewed this week - and got a new F3000 sent to me.
    In order to get it I had to report a fault (on the instruction of the loyalty agent I had been speaking with). I had been having issues with Wifi completely slowing down anyways, and had reported it back in March / April.

The support guy I spoke with didn't ask any questions - listened to the problem I was having - and he ended up recommending the new router.

Router just arrived this afternoon - they did take the F2000 back though which they hadn't told me about - cue the running around setting things back up.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For some reason i'm passing for 100/20 FTTC even tho the nearest cabinet to me is over 2km away. Up to now I was passing for 7/1 FTTC which makes more sense considering the distance.

Eir have updated their website, even tho they still only show 1gig and 150 fibre, they do now mention the 500 plan in writing.

Price depends on chosen FTTH bundle of either Gigabit Fibre 150Mb, Gigabit Fibre 500Mb or Gigabit Fibre 1Gb. €29.99 p/m for 6 months (€65.99 p/m thereafter) is for eir Gigabit Fibre 150Mb on a 12 month contract. Gigabit fibre broadband is your own line from the distribution point straight to the home. Offer available to new residential customers. Installation & bundle activation fee may apply.

Also they are more or less calling their service a dedicated line, which I don't think is true since FTTH is shared among your neighbours.

' Your own broadband line straight to your home
    Unlike some other broadband networks, with eir Gigabit Fibre, you don't share your line with anyone else - it's your own, exclusive 1Gb fibre broadband line straight to the heart of your home.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Gonzo wrote: »

Also they are more or less calling their service a dedicated line, which I don't think is true since FTTH is shared among your neighbours.

' Your own broadband line straight to your home
    Unlike some other broadband networks, with eir Gigabit Fibre, you don't share your line with anyone else - it's your own, exclusive 1Gb fibre broadband line straight to the heart of your home.'

Interesting, I thought they had a 16:1 ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

I've no use for the phone line. I'm essentially looking for the path of least resistance when moving providers. I want as little hassle as possible and want to totally avoid contacting eir as I don't have the time to wait an hour+ on hold. If I go moving just broadband, am I going to have to cancel just the phone with eir? If moving phone and broadband makes things easier then I'll do that.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bcross12 wrote: »
    I've no use for the phone line. I'm essentially looking for the path of least resistance when moving providers. I want as little hassle as possible and want to totally avoid contacting eir as I don't have the time to wait an hour+ on hold. If I go moving just broadband, am I going to have to cancel just the phone with eir? If moving phone and broadband makes things easier then I'll do that.

You can move your broadband service and cease your phone line in a single operation (it's a PNW order if it's a copper phone line, or PNO if it's VoIP). All your new provider needs is your UAN.

That's assuming your new provider knows what they're doing. Not all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Managed to get ahold of eir loyalty. Offering me 500/50 for €36.98 for 12 months, add the TV to make it €46.98. Very close to Vodafone's €30 for 12 months. Eir's network has been rock solid for me to be fair so I'd be okay with staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That seems like a very good deal. I think it's a real pity that the rate after 12 months jumps so dramatically with most providers, making jumping ship every year the best value option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

cnocbui wrote: »
    That seems like a very good deal. I think it's a real pity that the rate after 12 months jumps so dramatically with most providers, making jumping ship every year the best value option.

But the cost of change of provider is prohibitive ...... nearly €100 each time as I understand it.
    It can negate most of the saving made on monthly subscriptions.

But the cost of change of provider is prohibitive ...... nearly €100 each time as I understand it.
    It can negate most of the saving made on monthly subscriptions.

Eir goes from €30 a month to €60 after 12 months (150 Mbps). The annual difference is €360. Even after paying €100 in switching to another €30 a month provider, you are €260 better off for the year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Im looking at moving house and when i put the new eircode into Airwires checker it says no ports currently available, when i put the eircode into vodafones website it says unfortunately we cannot provide broadband at this address. But according to Eir they can provide up to 80mbps broadband at this address using the eircode? Something is not right.

Im looking at moving house and when i put the new eircode into Airwires checker it says no ports currently available, when i put the eircode into vodafones website it says unfortunately we cannot provide broadband at this address. But according to Eir they can provide up to 80mbps broadband at this address using the eircode? Something is not right.

Which products does it tell you, that "No ports are available" ?

If it's for FTTH and there is an active line in the premise already, then this is a non-issue. Easily fixed.

You can also PM me your eircode and I'll have a look, why there are no ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is anyone aware if anything changed on the vodafone side of things when it comes to login? My orbi stopped working however with the voda router is working fine.

--Nevermind, Orbi had shat its pants.

In your particular case the issue is, that all VDSL ports on the cabinet, that your phoneline is connected to, are occupied. This can be caused by new premises that were build after it got commissioned or faulty ports. OpenEIR does not expand on these cabinets unless there are a lot of requests for new lines.

Keep checking our availability tool (updated weekly most of the time) and you'll see it freeing up, when somebody cancels their line somewhere in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

A friend of mine recently got 1Gb FTTH broadband. I told him wireless speed tests won't show accurate results and it could literally give you any sort of speed and he's getting in around 350Mb speeds there.

I told him best way to check speed is wired direct to router with his laptop. Now he has a pretty good laptop and I assume his cable is OK but he told me wired tests are only coming back at 70Mb down.

Can anyone explain what might be the issue?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

joe123 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what might be the issue?

Smartbyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Hi All,

I got Eir FTTH installed on Thursday. It's been working fine but overnight the LOS light went to flashing red this morning and has stayed that way.
    Rang Eir and they advised up to 3 working days for a fix which is a bit of a disaster as I WFH like most these days!

Just wondering if people have had this error before and does it happen often? Just wondering as i'm still within the cooling off period so if there's regular issues at least I have the option to disconnect at no cost.
    I'm also hoping my cooling off period will be extended to allow further time to test its reliability!

Don't panic, this is unusual and you unfortunately drew a short straw. Your experience is atypical. Once rectified, you will have the most stable and reliable internet connection available to a consumer.

I was originally with Eir, and in 12 months, there were two brief service interruptions totalling 30 mins.

Fibre is higher performing, but it's technically more demanding leading to far more complex and time consuming repairs to the actual fibre. If it's the transceivers at either end, that's easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

cnocbui wrote: »
    Don't panic, this is unusual and you unfortunately drew a short straw. Your experience is atypical. Once rectified, you will have the most stable and reliable internet connection available to a consumer.

I was originally with Eir, and in 12 months, there were two brief service interruptions totalling 30 mins.

Fibre is higher performing, but it's technically more demanding leading to far more complex and time consuming repairs to the actual fibre. If it's the transceivers at either end, that's easier.

Ok that's good to know! The cable was installed above the ground so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Which products does it tell you, that "No ports are available" ?

If it's for FTTH and there is an active line in the premise already, then this is a non-issue. Easily fixed.

You can also PM me your eircode and I'll have a look, why there are no ports.

How can it be an easy fix for FTTH if there are no ports available for FTTH? What if the DP is full?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Smartbyte?

Either that or the friends laptop only has a 100Mbps ethernet port or the cable that is used to connect it is well below cat5 (only using 2 rather than 4 pairs).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wonder are Google having DNS issues, finding basic internet browsing awfully slow or maybe Eir are having issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Hi lads,

Long time since I posed on here but just discovered something. Ignore me if this is common knowledge but you can logon to the HG8010H OLNT, default creds.

aE6czeq.jpg

You need to plug directly to it, bypassing any vlans

Set a static IP on your device to 192.168.100.2 and you can access the login page at 192.168.100.1

Username is root
    password is admin

Again, ignore me if people already know this, but proceeded at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Headshot wrote: »
    Wonder are Google having DNS issues, finding basic internet browsing awfully slow or maybe Eir are having issues.

EIR is having problems, especially if you are bridged. NAT errors.

Spoke with EIR and was told it could be Monday before it will be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

raydator wrote: »
    EIR is having problems, especially if you are bridged. NAT errors.

Spoke with EIR and was told it could be Monday before it will be resolved.

Yup my setup.

Thanks

How can it be an easy fix for FTTH if there are no ports available for FTTH? What if the DP is full?

The key bit was him saying if there was an active fibre line to the house, which would mean even if the DP were full, one of the allocated lines would be potentialy available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

m99T wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Long time since I posed on here but just discovered something. Ignore me if this is common knowledge but you can logon to the HG8010H OLT, default creds.

aE6czeq.jpg

You need to plug directly to it, bypassing any vlans

Set a static IP on your device to 192.168.100.2 and you can access the login page at 192.168.100.1

Username is root
    password is admin

Again, ignore me if people already know this, but proceeded at your own risk.

Thank you for sharing, I don’t think it was public.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

alec76 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing, you mean ONT of course, hacking OLT would be hardcore stuff :)

Yep I do, lol if you get the ONT hit me up haha!

• Advertisement

Advertisement