Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

I've just upgraded my package from 500 to 1GB with Vodafone, Now I know the difference will hardly be noticeable but doing some speed tests I'm only seeing about 600 down and 100 up the Up is ok but loosing 400meg is a bit much,

I am using a PC wired to the Vodafone box through a 8 port gigabyte switch, as far as I can remember everything is cat5e or better,

Is this normal?? what I did notice before that after Vodafone upgraded from 300meg to 500 the speed felt slower if that makes sense, Speed test's varied from 350-520 all the time,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I've just upgraded my package from 500 to 1GB with Vodafone, Now I know the difference will hardly be noticeable but doing some speed tests I'm only seeing about 600 down and 100 up the Up is ok but loosing 400meg is a bit much,

I am using a PC wired to the Vodafone box through a 8 port gigabyte switch, as far as I can remember everything is cat5e or better,

Is this normal?? what I did notice before that after Vodafone upgraded from 300meg to 500 the speed felt slower if that makes sense, Speed test's varied from 350-520 all the time,

Thanks

Based on the level of complaints on boards about vodafone

I'd say you're very lucky to be getting what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

I'm looking at moving to another provider with Sky and Vodafone being the main contenders. I've only seen negative things about Vodafone's network and coming from eir's excellent network, it's not something I want to deal with. On the other hand, a good friend of mine is very happy with Vodafone FTTH. We both work in IT so I'm inclined to highly value his opinion.

Anyone able to comment on the quality of the Sky network? I haven't seen much here after a bit of searching. Cheers!

Hi All

Thanks

Forgot to mention from the irish ISP's there's probably only blacknight and Airwire which can give you the full speed so make sure you're choose these when doing the testing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

speed tests rarely give more than 700 on Speedtest servers even Blacknight and Airwire, sometimes I do get 800 to 940 but these are very rare. I've heard if you run the speedtests on a linux operating system you will see the full speed all the time.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks guys,

First world problems isn't it 😂

Wasn't long ago I had 1.5meg and never thought I'd see 2 nevermind complaining about 600,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Does anybody know how many poles from the black box can they string a cable before an overhead installation into a house, is it a pole limit or just a distance limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

darth_maul wrote: »
    Does anybody know how many poles from the black box can they string a cable before an overhead installation into a house, is it a pole limit or just a distance limit.
    Fibre spools are 500 meters. 7 Poles have been mentioned as the limit, but you would have to be lucky with ISP and installer to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Hi All

Thanks

Interesting. I will say that with 1 Gig speeds the device you are using to run the test makes a big difference. My work laptop that is relatively powerful. (Dell Latitude 5400 I5-8365U, 8 GB RAM, SSD) seems to only manage around 200 Mb on wired network but my far more powerful desktop with Intel 9900K and fast NVME SSD gets close to Gigabit all the time with eir (Works out around 940 Mb result in speedtests due to TCPIP overhead)

Just to clarify I don't see full speed with every download and more often than not you will be limited by other network bottlenecks along the way unless using heavily threaded downloads such as steam.

Try this speedtest. http://proof.ovh.net/ I find that it gives accurate results especially to the UK server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Gonzo wrote: »
    speed tests rarely give more than 700 on Speedtest servers even Blacknight and Airwire, sometimes I do get 800 to 940 but these are very rare. I've heard if you run the speedtests on a linux operating system you will see the full speed all the time.

I would say 80%+ of the time I get 900 or better (Windows PC, reasonably well specced but not top end). Max is just shy of 940 alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

darth_maul wrote: »

The real issue is whether your eircode is on the list or not. If you are on the list, they would use a 500m reel if necessary, but if you aren't, they wouldn't string 40m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Interesting. I will say that with 1 Gig speeds the device you are using to run the test makes a big difference. My work laptop that is relatively powerful. (Dell Latitude 5400 I5-8365U, 8 GB RAM, SSD) seems to only manage around 200 Mb on wired network but my far more powerful desktop with Intel 9900K and fast NVME SSD gets close to Gigabit all the time with eir (Works out around 940 Mb result in speedtests due to TCPIP overhead)

Just to clarify I don't see full speed with every download and more often than not you will be limited by other network bottlenecks along the way unless using heavily threaded downloads such as steam.

Try this speedtest. http://proof.ovh.net/ I find that it gives accurate results especially to the UK server.

Nope, it is obviously Dell related issue( you should Google it, I think you have to uninstall some Dell's software) , i5 more than capable of gigabit speeds.
    I have very old Desktop, Intel Q6600, I think,4gb RAM,no problems reaching 900+ speeds.

alec76 wrote: »
    Nope, it is obviously Dell related issue( you should Google it, I think you have to uninstall some Dell's software) , i5 more than capable of gigabit speeds.
    I have very old Desktop, Intel Q6600, I think,4gb RAM,no problems reaching 900+ speeds.
    Perhaps Dell issue but its a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise with no Dell software on it except whatever drivers were needed. I never cared enough to really look into it but I did try updating network and chipset driver before and it didnt solve it. It seems to put the CPU at 80 to 90% when doing speedtest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I'm using a self built i5 with 16gb ram, I'll try work laptop directly at fiber box and see what it's like there, It's a newer i5

Thanks for the replies,

I'm using a self built i5 with 16gb ram, I'll try work laptop directly at fiber box and see what it's like there, It's a newer i5

Thanks for the replies,

i5 is more than capable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the CPU is stressed when speed testing, I'd say you have your culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

John mac wrote: »

This seems a likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The U.S. entrepreneur behind Ireland’s vast rural broadband plan says it’s 3 years ahead of schedule
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/22/irelands-rural-broadband-plan-is-3-years-ahead-of-schedule-mccourt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well it's contract renewal time for me in a week. Been with Eir since getting connected to FTTH almost 2 years ago. Currently on 150MB with talktime unlimited (or whatever its called) - the best they are offering me is 500MB connection with an offpeak talktime package for €46 per month (24 month contract).

Seems an absolute no-brainer to move to Vodafone where i can get 1GB connection and phone bundle at a reduced price of €40 per month (12 month contract). Thing is i don't really have any appetite to go switching given the router change, changing SSID's, reconnecting devices etc.

Anyone have experience with Vodafone's offering? As I said, money wise it's pretty much a no-brainer but there are other considerations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Well it's contract renewal time for me in a week. Been with Eir since getting connected to FTTH almost 2 years ago. Currently on 150MB with talktime unlimited (or whatever its called) - the best they are offering me is 500MB connection with an offpeak talktime package for €46 per month (24 month contract).

Seems an absolute no-brainer to move to Vodafone where i can get 1GB connection and phone bundle at a reduced price of €40 per month (12 month contract). Thing is i don't really have any appetite to go switching given the router change, changing SSID's, reconnecting devices etc.

Anyone have experience with Vodafone's offering? As I said, money wise it's pretty much a no-brainer but there are other considerations.

I have been on Vodafone 500 with phone for 2 months now. No issues at all, getting the full speed at all times.

Just be careful if you are a user of the landline, as the vodafone offer ONLY contains landline calls. The Eir bundle that I had before Vodafone had mobile calls included too, and UK and US landline calls.

Vodafone have an offer where they can add a free bundle of 100 mobile minutes a month to the bundle, but you need to ring and ask for it.

Also, do not allow Vodafone to set you up as a new FTTH connection instead of a switch, they have been hit and miss with asking for UAN to initiate a switch, and it makes it a pain in the ass to cancel Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Kencollins wrote: »
    I have been on Vodafone 500 with phone for 2 months now. No issues at all, getting the full speed at all times.

Just be careful if you are a user of the landline, as the vodafone offer ONLY contains landline calls. The Eir bundle that I had before Vodafone had mobile calls included too, and UK and US landline calls.

Vodafone have an offer where they can add a free bundle of 100 mobile minutes a month to the bundle, but you need to ring and ask for it.

Also, do not allow Vodafone to set you up as a new FTTH connection instead of a switch, they have been hit and miss with asking for UAN to initiate a switch, and it makes it a pain in the ass to cancel Eir.

Thanks Ken, some good info there.

I went through part of the process on switching on the Vodafone site and was asked for UAN and CRN.
    The CRN I think is my phone number in 353xxxxxxx format I think.
    However, my Eir bill shows 2 different UAN's. One for the Broadband and one for the phone number.
    Obviously i'll want to port the number over also - so not sure how to proceed given that i can only give one UAN (it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I was in the same boat with Eir when I switched to Airwire ....... had two UANs, one for phone and the other broadband.
    Airwire handled it well ..... the phone was ported as a separate operation, so the two UANs were used.

My big question, which I have not seen mention of recently, is the 'switch fee' ......... will Vodafone still charge €99 or whatever it was when you switch to them from Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's really messy with Eir.

If you have a copper-line for the phone and FTTH, then you have one UAN and CRN for both.

If you have the phone as VoIP and FTTH, then you have 2 UANs and 2 CRNs.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Slightly related. I am moving to Vodafone from Eir. I have FTTH and a copper phone line. I called Vodafone asking if it is possible to keep the copper line and FTTH but they told me the only way to do that is to pay for both seperately! Is there any reason or benefit to keeping the copper line? We literally never use it, it's been plugged out for years. I know there's the home alarm but we don't have one so it's not a major deal. Any issues if I ditch the landline completely and go just FTTH?

bcross12 wrote: »
    Slightly related. I am moving to Vodafone from Eir. I have FTTH and a copper phone line. I called Vodafone asking if it is possible to keep the copper line and FTTH but they told me the only way to do that is to pay for both seperately! Is there any reason or benefit to keeping the copper line? We literally never use it, it's been plugged out for years. I know there's the home alarm but we don't have one so it's not a major deal. Any issues if I ditch the landline completely and go just FTTH?

I don't see why you would want to keep it. I presume you could just port your number onto the Vodafone VOIP system or if you don't want it anymore cancel it.

Does anyone know if you renew contract with eir will they send the new and improved router or do they only do that for new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fmannix10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you renew contract with eir will they send the new and improved router or do they only do that for new customers?

They won't send it on renewals. Goes for most of the providers.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »

/M

I renewed about 2 months ago and no new modem even tho the F2000 barely worked for wifi around the house dropping all the time. Since renewing i've bought a Fritzbox from Airwire and using that and the internet around the house has never been better. Changing from Eir's F2000 to a Fritzbox is a night and day experience. I'm not sure what Eir's newer modem is like but anyone still using a F2000 should change it as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Eir's tech dept can send new CPE once you're in contract, just convince them you need it. Out of contract its paid for.

Advertisement