Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

rob316 wrote: »
    Is this normal for Cafe Paradiso?

My wife and her friend are always meaning to try it, so she rang up today and she got the earliest booking........for January :eek:

Maybe they know a lockdown is coming later this week and they are done til the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ludo wrote: »
    Maybe they know a lockdown is coming later this week and they are done til the new year

Nope they are apparently fully booked out till then she said on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RINO87

Nope they are apparently fully booked out till then she said on the phone.

The dining room is small enough, so with social distancing I cant see them having a whole lot of people in there. It's very popular too.

Big carnivore here and I cant recommend the place enough. The food in paradiso is fantastic, so I'm glad they are somewhat busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

RINO87 wrote: »
    basically a taco chips in a toasted wrap, with extra cheese. It's pure magic, made even more special by the fact that if you have more than one every six months you are digging a very early grave...

sorry whats taco chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

Chips, mince, taco sauce, cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is this normal for Cafe Paradiso?

My wife and her friend are always meaning to try it, so she rang up today and she got the earliest booking........for January :eek:

Yes, normal enough even in pre-covid.

It's my birthday treat place. I book it again for the following year on the way out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, normal enough even in pre-covid.

It's my birthday treat place. I book it again for the following year on the way out the door.

Thanks. I knew it was popular but had no idea, well done for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Well-earned in fairness! Only been a couple of times but it's always top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nice piece on the family that's started Izz Cafe on Nationwide RTE 1 this evening.

Water John wrote: »
    Nice piece on the family that's started Izz Cafe on Nationwide RTE 1 this evening.

ditto - i love the place but the nationwide piece makes me want to support them even more.. i love the food so its a win win

• Advertisement

Cork always welcomed new food people, remember Hadji Bey?
    Do something well and we'll take you to our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Was there for lunch today coincidentally, we congratulated him on the person of the month award.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Speaking of food again crust has the best toasted sandwich in the city amazing, love there toasted ham, cheese, sun-dried tomato and something in it sandwich just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Speaking of food again crust has the best toasted sandwich in the city amazing, love there toasted ham, cheese, sun-dried tomato and something in it sandwich just amazing

Where is crust?

McCurtain St. on the outside of bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

McCurtain St. on the outside of bread.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just had lunch in Docklands, beautiful food and great value. Love this place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Got takeaway from the Golden Elephant after seeing the discussion on here. Husband liked his green curry but I got the sweet and sour and it was awful. All but a few bites went in the bin unfortunately. So sickly sweet it was inedible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bee06 wrote: »
    Got takeaway from the Golden Elephant after seeing the discussion on here. Husband liked his green curry but I got the sweet and sour and it was awful. All but a few bites went in the bin unfortunately. So sickly sweet it was inedible.

:(

I usually find that with sweet and sour, no restaurant seems to do it well. I did get a takeaway tub from Sage in Middleton (I think) and it was quite nice.

• Advertisement

Very surprised as I always use them. Did you contact them as they are great at talking

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Group of four then went onto another venue not all from cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Very surprised as I always use them. Did you contact them as they are great at talking

No, at that stage I had a 6 month old screaming to be fed and a 2 year old refusing to share his spring rolls but also refusing to eat them himself so I was pretty pissed off. It wouldn’t have been a good time to speak to anyone!

sorry to hear that - i adored my meal from there.. and it is a v reputable restaurant.. i would not be a fan of sweet and sour in any event.. so you say it was sickly sweet - was there anything else wrong with it? you should give them a call on it anyway.. see if it was out of the norm or if thats the nature of the dish.. maybe its just not your cuppa.. but i would call them cos they are v reputable and allowing them the chance to have a say would be the right thing to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Tried Okura in Douglas. Didn't have great expectations but very pleasantly surprised.

Really nice room. Unfortunate timing putting so much effort in and then lockdown hitting as they were due to open. Nice buzz in there. It's an open kitchen, looked like a sushi chef, teppan chef, and one other. There are a few other restaurants in Douglas with very nice food but none are particularly fun to sit in of a Saturday night.

All the food was very nice. Had sushi to start, then tried katsu curry, some teppan mixed veg thing, and tempura. Quite reasonably priced too. Hope they survive the covid...

Just had lunch in Docklands, beautiful food and great value. Love this place

had a look at the menu - looks good - bit of a middle eastern influence... have to try it sometime

Picked up a takeaway reuben sandwich from the Green Frog place at the UCC gates on Western Road for lunch today. Full marks for presentation & was quite tasty as well.

528360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

opus wrote: »
    Picked up a takeaway reuben sandwich from the Green Frog place at the UCC gates on Western Road for lunch today. Full marks for presentation & was quite tasty as well.

Is it not grilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

So moving to level 3. How hard is it going to be now to get a booking as restaurants/bars and cafes can only have max 15 seating outside.

• Advertisement

Is it not grilled?

It is if you want it to be :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement