Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There were small places doing this long before Covid, because of no-shows. Businesses have a hard enough time running the shop , and I can see why they do it. I know someone who fairly typically will book three places and see which one they feel like that night. Obnoxious behaviour, and it's them you should be leaning blame towards.

Also doing this at the moment: hairdressers , beauticians, sports classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

Getting take out from the Golden Elephant in Douglas some eve this week; 1st time.. looking for tips on how spicy dishes are? I don't like too much spice but I would like to try something v nice,.. not into curries - would go for one of the stir frys - or something from the G dinner range - there are 2 with pastes that I like the look of.. for those who have eaten from here, what are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

sporina wrote: »
    Getting take out from the Golden Elephant in Douglas some eve this week; 1st time.. looking for tips on how spicy dishes are? I don't like too much spice but I would like to try something v nice,.. not into curries - would go for one of the stir frys - or something from the G dinner range - there are 2 with pastes that I like the look of.. for those who have eaten from here, what are your thoughts?

I had the Thai red curry there, was lovely. I don’t like very hot spicy food either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I always get the red curry or the massaman, they arnt super spicy tbh.

Its the best thai by far in cork imo! Enjoy!

fin12 wrote: »
    I had the Thai red curry there, was lovely. I don’t like very hot spicy food either.
    Rfrip wrote: »
    I always get the red curry or the massaman, they arnt super spicy tbh.

Its the best thai by far in cork imo! Enjoy!

the thai red curry seems to be popular..

not a curry fan - i prefer the crunch and texture of stir fry type dishes.. but thanks..

will have a chat with them when ordering - maybe they can help me decide..

looking forward to it..

have always heard that its the best thai in the city...

I loved Banna Thai - and Chilli Padi - Sago was good too.. all gone..

These is no Thai restaurant in the city centre now.. all ramen/asian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to try Cameron's for a sandwich but left empty handed and kinda annoyed (hunger may have been a factor, there).
    So, I perused the menu board and made my selection but was told that I could only choose from what was made up but unsold from lunch!

Now, if they want to do that kind of model like the sandwich stall in the market, that's fine but then don't put up a menu board giving the impression that you have choice when you don't.

Not likely that I'll be back.

Naturally Nourished have opened a premises on Penrose Dock - delighted.. adore their food.. (original restaurant in City Gate Mahon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Booked Electric only to find they take €10 per head off of your card at the time of booking (in fairness they do tell you) . I'm all in favour of restaurants taking a card for a no show but irked me a bit that they took it up front especially as I was booking on behalf of someone else that was hosting the meal.

I phoned back the next day to cancel and get a refund and booked Market Lane instead (€20 per head in the event of a no show). Suffice to say food and service in ML was terrific.

Thinking back maybe it was petty to cancel but I equally couldn't expect the host to refund me after they'd paid the bill.

I read about some restaurants in Dublin that took card details last year and the customers cancelled late on or just didn't turn up but managed to prevent the restaurant taking the charge.

Some real horror stories.

Yours was a sort of a unique case - most people booking are booking for themselves. Could you not have gotten your associate to call back to confirm on his / her card?

I despair for restaurants in these times. In Dublin now, a lot of restaurants, cafes etc now closed even though they have, in most cases, implemented the required measures.

I am still hoping to go to Cork with my wife for the October weekend and see some very good recommendations here. I had been considering cancelling as the Jazz is cancelled but this thread is giving me second thoughts as there are so many great restaurants and pubs in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

pwurple wrote: »
    There were small places doing this long before Covid, because of no-shows. Businesses have a hard enough time running the shop , and I can see why they do it. I know someone who fairly typically will book three places and see which one they feel like that night. Obnoxious behaviour, and it's them you should be leaning blame towards.

Also doing this at the moment: hairdressers , beauticians, sports classes.
    :eek:

Unbelievable! Like how do they justify their behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Went to try Cameron's for a sandwich but left empty handed and kinda annoyed (hunger may have been a factor, there).
    So, I perused the menu board and made my selection but was told that I could only choose from what was made up but unsold from lunch!

Now, if they want to do that kind of model like the sandwich stall in the market, that's fine but then don't put up a menu board giving the impression that you have choice when you don't.

Not likely that I'll be back.

Sounds like Hangry time!

You're missing out.

Their sandwiches are fecking awesome, there is no wrong choice in there. And their pastries even more so. They do have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, and the food is fresh, get in early to get the full range. No waste with maintaining a buffer of sandwiches intended to go in the bin (which is a model I like!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

pwurple wrote: »
    Sounds like Hangry time!

You're missing out.

Their sandwiches are fecking awesome, there is no wrong choice in there. And their pastries even more so. They do have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, and the food is fresh, get in early to get the full range. No waste with maintaining a buffer of sandwiches intended to go in the bin (which is a model I like!)

Yeah don't let it put you off! Any of the sandwiches there that I've tried are great. Give it another go!

Take out from Golden Elephant last night - twas dam tasty... v v good - excellent quality - had peppercorn sizzling chicken.. Q are portions a bit small though? I was v hungry mind... glad I had rice and prawn crackers.. twas v v tasty though.. will defo have another dish from there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Was along to the Four Liars with a few people during the week. Very quite in there but at least they were getting a few delivery orders through. Everyone enjoyed the food anyway so no complaints there. Didn't realise they don't have an alcohol license yet but luckily I live close by so was able to take a walk home & raid my extensive wine cellar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Was in Perry Street in Ringaskiddy this morning for breakfast. Wanted the eggs on sourdough but when I asked if they had sourdough I was told no, not today. This is the third time this has happened - and they never tell you it’s regular sliced bread. Clearly they don’t do sourdough bread but it’s still on the menu. I don’t eat regular bread so just had coffee. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Was in Perry Street in Ringaskiddy this morning for breakfast. Wanted the eggs on sourdough but when I asked if they had sourdough I was told no, not today. This is the third time this has happened - and they never tell you it’s regular sliced bread. Clearly they don’t do sourdough bread but it’s still on the menu. I don’t eat regular bread so just had coffee. Very annoying.

If it's the third time now it's time to leave a negative review on TripAdvisor or Google maps. I would classify this a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any suggestions on decent chippers in and around the city? Barties, KCs, Lennox's and Dinos are grand but wondering if any places have gone under the radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

siblers wrote: »
    Any suggestions on decent chippers in and around the city? Barties, KCs, Lennox's and Dinos are grand but wondering if any places have gone under the radar?

I don't understand the Lennoxes cult. It's literally the worst chipper I've been to on the planet. And I've had chips in the poorest country in the world.

Denneys up near Silver Key is decent. Their chips are actually chip shaped and not 90% greasy flakes and sharp off cuts like Lennoxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork Lass wrote: »

Lol, that sounds like an experience I'd have in a restaurant or café!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't understand the Lennoxes cult. It's literally the worst chipper I've been to on the planet. And I've had chips in the poorest country in the world.

Denneys up near Silver Key is decent. Their chips are actually chip shaped and not 90% greasy flakes and sharp off cuts like Lennoxs.

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Murphy’s in Blackpool was voted one of the best, never been there myself but it’s on my list to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RINO87

fin12 wrote: »
    Murphy’s in Blackpool was voted one of the best, never been there myself but it’s on my list to try.

A sloppy Foley is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cripes it isn't that hard to get sourdough, any Lidl shop has it from their bakery.

Recent breakfast in the Workshop, I think the scrambled egg and bacon was on Arbutus sourdough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Golden Fry in Ballinlough is very good.

RINO87 wrote: »
    A sloppy Foley is a thing of beauty.

whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried a burger and chips from Fat Badgers there by UCC gates yesterday.

Slightly pricey (imo, I didn't get the meal deal, which is very much worth it in retrospect) but absolutely delicious. Fresh food, freshly made, lovely salty, crispy, fluffy chips. Will be back for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The best fish and chips I ever had by a long shot was at long strand outside Clonakilty.
    The freshest fish and great batter, with excellent chips, expensive but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The best fish and chips I ever had by a long shot was at long strand outside Clonakilty.
    The freshest fish and great batter, with excellent chips, expensive but well worth it

The Fish Basket! Nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fish wife on mccurtain st, is the best IMO. Lennox's is actual muck, its was great in the 90's but frozen fish and pre-made burgers don't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RINO87

whats that?

basically a taco chips in a toasted wrap, with extra cheese. It's pure magic, made even more special by the fact that if you have more than one every six months you are digging a very early grave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is this normal for Cafe Paradiso?

My wife and her friend are always meaning to try it, so she rang up today and she got the earliest booking........for January :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement