Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Had a family breakfast in the Workshop a few mornings ago. Food very nice, I had scrambled egg, bacon and Arbutus bread. Only niggle is the amount of food, specifically egg. It need about 50% more. An egg is less than 20 cent.
    OH had french toast and bacon. She boiled an egg for herself when she came home.
    I don't want a big plate of mediocre food but Irish people eat a reasonably substantial amount for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Had Four Liars last night.
    Loads of food on each plate we ordered, the owners couldn't have been kinder too. Tasty grub with delish desserts to finish.

Even tried Arabic coffee - - that drink defo wouldn't suit everyone! :D the strength!

Would definitely go back.

20200907-203049.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean if you have a big appetite you can order as many dishes as it takes... but it's certainly not cheap if you do that. The dishes range from about 3 euros (gunpowder potatoes) to maybe 12 (lamb chops) so it adds up quickly!

Went back there last weekend, ordered 4 dishes this time, and loved it. Could have licked the plates clean (note to self: in these virusy times, people don't like it if you do that). But it was pricey, and I came away happy but not stuffed.

To be honest, I've never understood how a lot of people with very large appetites seem to think that they should pay the same for their food as someone with a modest appetite. (I'm not saying that you are in this camp, just your points brought it to my mind).

It just costs more to feed big eaters, why should we all pay for this?

The actual ingredients are a small part of the price. As I showed above making a breakfast more substantial would have been, one egg, less than 20 cent.

Quality meat would be the dearest ingredient and then they usually put a big supplement on a steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean if you have a big appetite you can order as many dishes as it takes... but it's certainly not cheap if you do that. The dishes range from about 3 euros (gunpowder potatoes) to maybe 12 (lamb chops) so it adds up quickly!

Went back there last weekend, ordered 4 dishes this time, and loved it. Could have licked the plates clean (note to self: in these virusy times, people don't like it if you do that). But it was pricey, and I came away happy but not stuffed.

Yeah, I suppose that's my main crib, people have this idea that it's going to be cheap but often ends up costing more than a starter, main and dessert. I'm not singling out Orso, just that way of eating.

• Advertisement

Had Four Liars last night.
    Loads of food on each plate we ordered, the owners couldn't have been kinder too. Tasty grub with delish desserts to finish.

Even tried Arabic coffee - - that drink defo wouldn't suit everyone! :D the strength!

Would definitely go back.

20200907-203049.jpg

Did they have cardamom in the coffee? I really like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Water John wrote: »
    The actual ingredients are a small part of the price. As I showed above making a breakfast more substantial would have been, one egg, less than 20 cent.

Quality meat would be the dearest ingredient and then they usually put a big supplement on a steak.

Restaurants work on a profit margin. If you increase the cost of goods, you increase the final price by more. That's how most businesses work.
    So, adding 20c onto the cost price of the dish, doesn't just add 20c onto the final price. Add on options here would be a good idea, but then people would probably complain at paying for an extra egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I asked for suggestions here a couple of weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Cork last week.

We went to Bocellis on the first night. The pasta dishes we had were top notch, as were the starters and garlic bread. Extensive wine menu too, although I found the beer menu a bit sparse (a gripe I can easily get over).

Spitjack was our choice the following night. The missus picked it mainly for the cocktail menu, but I must say the food was excellent. I am still salivating at the ribs I had, and the lemon posset for dessert was like nectar. There were at least two parties (socially distanced) in the area we were in, so considering it was mid-week, that's always a good sign.

The creme de la creme for me, however, was our last meal in Gallaghers. The lamb korma dish (Cork on a fork special) was one of the nicest dishes I ever had, and the GF's hake was top quality as well. There was no issue about time limits here in particular, and we could stay longer for a few drinks.

Very friendly staff at every restaurant, and for those of a nervous disposition in the current climate, every protocol was followed to the nth degree everywhere we went.

Excellent culinary city.

I asked for suggestions here a couple of weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Cork last week.

We went to Bocellis on the first night. The pasta dishes we had were top notch, as were the starters and garlic bread. Extensive wine menu too, although I found the beer menu a bit sparse (a gripe I can easily get over).

Spitjack was our choice the following night. The missus picked it mainly for the cocktail menu, but I must say the food was excellent. I am still salivating at the ribs I had, and the lemon posset for dessert was like nectar. There were at least two parties (socially distanced) in the area we were in, so considering it was mid-week, that's always a good sign.

The creme de la creme for me, however, was our last meal in Gallaghers. The lamb korma dish (Cork on a fork special) was one of the nicest dishes I ever had, and the GF's hake was top quality as well. There was no issue about time limits here in particular, and we could stay longer for a few drinks.

Very friendly staff at every restaurant, and for those of a nervous disposition in the current climate, every protocol was followed to the nth degree everywhere we went.

Excellent culinary city.

Glad you enjoyed it down here, I've always found Spitjack's good, their porchetta is something else, not sure what part of the country you're from but I see they recently opened in Limerick.

So you had the missus and the GF with you, a threesome.
    Great that you enjoyed your stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Seamai wrote: »
    Did they have cardamom in the coffee? I really like that.

Not sure, didn't taste like it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Delighted you enjoyed Cork, Castletownman, sure it's not a bad city :D

Gallaghers is really good alright - never had a bad meal there. I really want to go again soon, haven't been in ages.

Was in Spitjack myself a few weeks back and had the cesar salad - delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Got to Spitjack midweek and it was my first time having evening dining there, having only had lunch there once before.

Loved it - camambert for sharing served three of us, had the roast chicken burger which was amazing, the ribs looked quality and a massiver portion for my friends, finally the brownie was quite good for desert. Staff were nice, I will say though that the music was a little too loud for them given the staff had visors on so felt like I was shouting my order and the additional volume meant it was hard to get the attention of the staff once or twice but I will definitely be back.

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd second the Market Lane suggestion.........

Had a rare lunch out a few weeks ago in Cork.
    Booked a table at Market Lane, was wonderful as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Any brunch suggestions for a first “date” since I had our 2nd baby (on a Saturday)? Between Covid and pregnancy/baby we’re very out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

bee06 wrote: »
    Any brunch suggestions for a first “date” since I had our 2nd baby (on a Saturday)? Between Covid and pregnancy/baby we’re very out of touch.

Dwyers, bottomless brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

The good day deli is lovely and is in a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

fin12 wrote: »
    Dwyers, bottomless brunch.

We still have to go back home to the two children after so it would be wasted on us unfortunately.

We still have to go back home to the two children after so it would be wasted on us unfortunately.

They also do just normal brunch aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

+1 to good day deli - lovely spot and so relaxing ! You need to book though so check website. if weather looking good eating outside is lovely !

• Advertisement

whatever76 wrote: »
    +1 to good day dehli - lovely spot and so relaxing ! You need to book though so check website. if weather looking good eating outside is lovely !

Deli not dehi, it brings the wrong connotations altogether to my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

Water John wrote: »
    Deli not dehi, it brings the wrong connotations altogether to my brain.

:P - corrected !

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Cork restaurants can apply for a €2k grant to make outdoor areas more cosy for winter.
    https://www.yaycork.ie/cork-restaurants-can-apply-for-a-e2k-grant-to-make-outdoor-areas-more-cosy-for-winter/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Booked Electric only to find they take €10 per head off of your card at the time of booking (in fairness they do tell you) . I'm all in favour of restaurants taking a card for a no show but irked me a bit that they took it up front especially as I was booking on behalf of someone else that was hosting the meal.

I phoned back the next day to cancel and get a refund and booked Market Lane instead (€20 per head in the event of a no show). Suffice to say food and service in ML was terrific.

Thinking back maybe it was petty to cancel but I equally couldn't expect the host to refund me after they'd paid the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Booked Electric only to find they take €10 per head off of your card at the time of booking (in fairness they do tell you) . I'm all in favour of restaurants taking a card for a no show but irked me a bit that they took it up front especially as I was booking on behalf of someone else that was hosting the meal.

I phoned back the next day to cancel and get a refund and booked Market Lane instead (€20 per head in the event of a no show). Suffice to say food and service in ML was terrific.

Thinking back maybe it was petty to cancel but I equally couldn't expect the host to refund me after they'd paid the bill.

Agree; completely understand a restaurant taking your card details and charging you in the event of a no show but actually taking the money beforehand is very cheeky.

leahyl wrote: »
    Agree; completely understand a restaurant taking your card details and charging you in the event of a no show but actually taking the money beforehand is very cheeky.

They do that in Sober Lane aswell. , charge the card at time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Dwyers, Clancys and The Secret Garden do the same, deposits are needed to secure all bookings.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Dwyers, Clancys and The Secret Garden do the same, deposits are needed to secure all bookings.

Dwyers dont, I did an online booking for there, never had to put my card details in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SusieBlue wrote: »

Do they actually deduct at time of booking though or just take card details. I booked Clancys two weeks ago and gave card details but no up front deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Do they actually deduct at time of booking though or just take card details. I booked Clancys two weeks ago and gave card details but no up front deposit

When I went they deducted at the time of booking, but the total was deducted from our bill on the day. It was a €20 fee per table iirc.
    So I didn’t mind too much. It would be annoying if in a big group though, I’d imagine.
    I just found the booking confirmation outlining the deductions, I edited out my identifying info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement