Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bear in mind that Met E issue their warnings on the basis of evaluating potential impact and risk.

We are still in full swing holiday time so there are lots of tourists in places they are not familiar with. People are camping and in caravans/mobile homes.

In addition, trees are in full leaf and the storm coincides with high (spring) tide, so there is high risk of coastal flooding.

Maybe in mid Winter this storm might have a yellow warning for most with a number of counties with orange warning as impact/risk would be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The lack of windspeeds in the warnings is indicative they are impact based warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

JCX BXC wrote: »
    TAF's aren't generally the best indicator, I've seen them be wrong many many times.

I’ve seen them being wrong too, usually on air crash investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From my point of view there was no real eastward trend, the models most trusted by met E happened to be those with the furthest west tracks. Also a slight shift east is not a downgrade except in the limited sense that places now to the west of the developing track will have a downgrade in their peak gusts. They will on the other hand get more rain than might have been predicted previously.

Take this very seriously indeed if you live or are situated between Cork and Wexford and all the way inland up to east Galway, Sligo, Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The lack of windspeeds in the warnings is indicative they are impact based warnings.

Yeah it’s unusual no speeds mentioned at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Vessels at seas don't seem to have cleared out of the path like in other storms.
    Is this an indication of the expected severity and sea area forecasts are not predicting anything dangerous?
    Some of those are small fishing boats drawing 3m.

wu870ql.png

From my point of view there was no real eastward trend, the models most trusted by met E happened to be those with the furthest west tracks. Also a slight shift east is not a downgrade except in the limited sense that places now to the west of the developing track will have a downgrade in their peak gusts. They will on the other hand get more rain than might have been predicted previously.

Take this very seriously indeed if you live or are situated between Cork and Wexford and all the way inland up to east Galway, Sligo, Roscommon.

When you say cork do you mean cork city or county? I presume county!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

grinder23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys haven't a clue about any of this but I never see Longford mentioned lol anyone any idea what we could expect?

Expect a risk of everything you own being lifted overnight. Don't expect any winds though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Friend of mine camping in a tent on Achill island tonight - this is madness yes? Or am I overreacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard rain now, borne in on a rising breeze. ie a baby gale!

The sky is a uniform grey; lying low in almost every direction. No mountains. Just grey cloud. Flat above a flat grey ocean. The air is stifling. Grey.

And heavier rain. Is it beginning? Love the sound of it.

Stay safe.

PS If I fall asleep I will miss the storm however bad it is. A giftedness since childhood...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: No more general debate in relation to warnings in this thread please.

I will start moving posts here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057918791

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

What has been downgraded, everything still seems to be the same on the met.ie website????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Two hours to 9pm and was just out to put the patio furniture in the shed, just a slight drizzle.
    I'm looking out and it's absolutely calm, not the slightest bit of movement, almost eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rapidly deepening

022-F977-C-A70-C-44-E2-BA51-CADEBA715-F8-A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wind has died down again in West Cork along with the rain going off again, calm before the storm v2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

pad199207 wrote: »
    Rapidly deepening

022-F977-C-A70-C-44-E2-BA51-CADEBA715-F8-A.jpg

christ it looks like a savage day across iberia,how i wish i were there,in that blinding UV light and blue azure skies ,wading into calm warm water,among attractive tanned people with a beer in my hand.

i remeber speaking to my peruvean friend in Barcelona back in february and he felt a bit down because it was rainy and chilly for a few days,they dont know theyre alive.Hed have to be drugged to the eyeballs living here.

2020 is pure pigmuck.

September might be beautiful ,who knows.Lets hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

12Z ECM out. Upgrades now all but certain for the SE and probably the midlands.
    6a0065d0811dc949d8de9cf8d5e24fcb.png
    4efbcc7e98813ab30a7d7b8b288a708a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sdanseo wrote: »
    12Z ECM out. Upgrades now all but certain for the SE.
    6a0065d0811dc949d8de9cf8d5e24fcb.png

Cork still red?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strangely calm in West Clare this evening, a breeze starting to pick up now, have gone for a walk as rain seems imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Friend of mine camping in a tent on Achill island tonight - this is madness yes? Or am I overreacting?

think it may dodge this one, depends on what part of the island he is. some areas sheltered from a SE wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If we don't have any forum members already in Dungarvan to Youghal especially near the coast there, perhaps somebody with a vehicle within 2 hours drive might like to do a live on the spot report as landfall seems most likely to be close to 9:30-10:00 p.m. on current developments.

Wherever the low crosses the coast, about 30 miles east of there would be the maximum wind and storm surge impact zone. I would imagine there's some seaside caravan parks in that general area, those should probably be toured by local police and visitors warned to take shelter (perhaps this is already happening).

If we do have current thread readers in that impact zone, could you let us know where you are situated and give us hourly or more frequent updates starting around 8 p.m. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While the west and parts of north west will most likely escape the worst of this storm, those areas could see a brief period of fairly strong winds later on Thursday after Storm Ellen is gone. So those dismissing taking precautions as pointless might want to reconsider that kind of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

If these trends continue, this should be hugely embarrassing for Met Eireann. Not the first time they have cried wolf in recent years of course but the impact of their warning on struggling tourism businesses should leave them open to some very difficult questions

You reckon we’ll need a tribunal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

leahyl wrote: »
    Cork still red?

East of the city, by that map, very much so.

My opinion - Waterford will go red, Wexford and most of the midlands will go Orange.

leahyl wrote: »
    Cork still red?

East Cork is anyway.

The distances are so small it really is a nowcast at this stage. They get hurricanes wrong in USA right up to the last minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record.

dsiHAJj.gif

MYB2XeX.gif

6sxuV7D.gif

GPY5U7p.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Interestingly, the 'ICON Flash' has stronger winds for the south tomorrow evening than at any time overnight (gust speed forecast for 7pm tomorrow)

ntBb4xZ.png

New Moon

Not even a breeze here in Cork city and very warm, just waiting for it to kick off ,as long as everyone stays safe I like a good storm , a mix of excitement and fear atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sdanseo wrote: »
    East of the city, by that map, very much so.

My opinion - Waterford will go red, Wexford and most of the midlands will go Orange.

Ah right, always seems to miss the city where I am :-( guess I should be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like the coasts could still get 100-110kmh gusts which are no joke at the same time, definitely don't untie your stuff anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement