Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sickofthis

I have an interview this week for this competition. My question is about the application form submitted to PAS in 2018.. when I go to my application it seems I only submitted a very basic form back then ( just some information about previous roles, but no competency examples) so I am wondering how the interview will go if the interviewer doesnt have any of my examples. I have emailed PAS for clarification but no response as of yet and am concerned. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Geek20

The application form was very basic there was any competencies put in on it! For the interview the will ask you specific questions around the competencies outlined for the role... they asked me questions in relation to my jobs on the application form that i hadn't referred too and brought in them jobs that i didn't speak about through my competencies so maybe try have varied answers to cover most of your roles! Best of luck with the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bazman33

sickofthis wrote: »
    I have an interview this week for this competition. My question is about the application form submitted to PAS in 2018.. when I go to my application it seems I only submitted a very basic form back then ( just some information about previous roles, but no competency examples) so I am wondering how the interview will go if the interviewer doesnt have any of my examples. I have emailed PAS for clarification but no response as of yet and am concerned. Any advice?

You can address any issues to a degree at interview stage from when I submitted my application to getting my interview it was nearly two years I needed to fill in lots about different departments I worked as a TCO and CO they will ask you competency questions have good answers for these, very late calling for interview as far as I’m aware the panel closes next month you should ask about that in the interview, best of luck with it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blindalley

Do you mind if I ask is that the open stream or interdepartmental interview they are calling you for?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

I've got an interview tomorrow. I am on the open stream but had to postpone my interview last March. I wonder how many have been called for interview and how many are left on the current panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

I'm surprised they're still doing interviews for this but maybe they only have another 20 people left to call when they might slot in a few more. On average they get through about 30 every 4 weeks but the panel is due to expire next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

Hi all,

I'm a serving CO in Justice that's just been offered a position from this competition. My assignment has been Social Protection and given my background in processing I dread getting placed there. Any idea if anyone has had success requesting a different assignment?

Ugly_Child wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a serving CO in Justice that's just been offered a position from this competition. My assignment has been Social Protection and given my background in processing I dread getting placed there. Any idea if anyone has had success requesting a different assignment?

Just wondering how did u get notified of assignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blindalley

Hi all,

Do you mind if i ask when you did your interview? Also in that open or interdepartmental stream?

Blindalley wrote: »
    Do you mind if i ask when you did your interview? Also in that open or interdepartmental stream?

Myself I was notified by PAS on my new assignment I’m working in Justice and staying there only got word last Friday that my number was reached and was told last night of my department...!

• Advertisement

Bazman33 wrote: »
    Myself I was notified by PAS on my new assignment I’m working in Justice and staying there only got word last Friday that my number was reached and was told last night of my department...!

Thanks a million just wondering would u ask for a different dept if notified of one im worried about getting a certain dept

Geek20 wrote: »
    Thanks a million just wondering would u ask for a different dept if notified of one im worried about getting a certain dept

I’d be worried since the panel is due to finish soon you might not get a placement if you ask to change

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

If you turn that offer down, you're taken off the panel straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

gestappo wrote: »
    If you turn that offer down, you're taken off the panel straight away.

Occasionally it seems they'll try to accommodate, generally if a department has several locations. I dont wanna go to X though I'd say you're out.

As was said above though I'd be worried about the panel expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

gestappo wrote: »
    That has not been most people's experience. My OH was taken off a panel as they couldn't get into the requested location for the time the HR requested. They inquired with PublicJobs but they refused to help out. Once you're assigned a dept, if you don't take it you're off the panel.

I was messaging someone from earlier in this thread and the exact same issue happened her and she was also removed from the panel.

Probably varies by department. Mine has a lot of locations so PAS seem to be more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

Hi all,

I requested a different assignment after being offered one as I wouldn't have been able to get to the location. They couldn't and I got removed from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Hi all,

Stick it out, you're not there forever. In two years, you could go for HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ugly_Child

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Stick it out, you're not there forever. In two years, you could go for HEO.

Yep I will be sticking it out alright. But apparently looking at the HEO competitions; since I'm past probation in my previous role I can still apply for HEO at any time now. And since my scoring is only getting knocked back now based on leadership (no direct reports for a CO) I have a decent chance.

Just wondering from the timeframe from when u got ur assignment placement until the call from the dept with the further details how long did it take for it to happen should it only be a few days? Or would u suggest ringing the number they gave you? Also do u automatically go in at point 1 on the scale or will the look at wat scale ur currently on as a CO

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

Hi all,

Congratulations on getting the assignment.

They won’t take your previous background into account so you could end up in any area that has no relevance to what you have done previously.

I’m in social protection at the minute as EO still in probation and I’m convinced no one looked at where I had been before.

They have a vacancy and who ever is next on the list is given the position.

• Advertisement

Just wondering how long between getting interviewed and getting notified if I was successful? Had my interview last week and wondering how long before I hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Got a message asking for me to confirm that I wish to attend an interview over the coming weeks, do you reckon there is a chance I could still be placed from this panel considering its due to expire soon. Its unusual they are doing interviews so late.

redmgar wrote: »
    Got a message asking for me to confirm that I wish to attend an interview over the coming weeks, do you reckon there is a chance I could still be placed from this panel considering its due to expire soon. Its unusual they are doing interviews so late.

Hi I got an email from PAS this morning that they are extending til November

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Really?

Cheers thanks for that.

Did you get any idea when the results of last week's interviews will be out?

Yes they hope to have the results this week, if not then itll be next week. They said they have no end date for the 2018 comp at present but likely November when they will be working off the current competition.

quote="Ber25;114342898"]Did you get any idea when the results of last week's interviews will be out?[/quote]

That's great. Thanks.

Hopefully this week.

Just got word I passed the interview.
    I wonder when they will start placing us.
    Anyone know how many people are left on panel 4.2.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MozMael

a bit of relief about the panel being extended. only last week PAS told me it was likely they wouldn't call anyone else from my batch and it was expiring in September.

then today the email about interviews....

• Advertisement

I also got emailed I passed the interview and in batch 4.3. Am I right to assume they might start assigning soon due to the sudden speed?

Advertisement