Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He now sits in mountjoy serving a life sentence

No he doesn’t.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was reading back over the Fred and Rose West case since I was pretty young when it was all in the papers. Absolutely deplorable stuff. Like a Rob Zombie movie. I can't get my head around how two people could have such disregard for human life. Even their own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Used to be a joke about Peter Tobin.

He proclaimed his innocence ..."I never killed those girls but I did buy a load of topsoil once from Fred West."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Speaking of jokes.
    When I returned to school after the Christmas holiday in January 2005. The principal came in and gave a big speech about Robert Holohan and how we all must be terrified. Most guys in the class just wanted to share the gossip and jokes about it they heard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I still remember where I was when I heard Jam Master Jay was killed.

Well today, 18 years later, 2 men have been arrested in connection to the murder.

https://pitchfork.com/news/2-men-arrested-for-2002-killing-of-run-dmc-jam-master-jay/

There was a Netflix doc about it that I watched last year.

RIP JMJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The horrific life and death of little Peter Connelly, more widely known as the Baby P case.

I followed the story at the time and I've rarely read anything that induced such feelings of utter heartache for what he endured to feelings of searing, primal rage towards those that were guilty. Ive become a father since the case and I cannot bring myself to read anything about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The case of the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs is incredibly fcuked up considering the ages of the perpetrators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnepropetrovsk_maniacs?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The murder of Tracey Mertens is also very haunting and horrific. She was 31 years old and a mother of two young children. A few days before Christmas 1994, and two days before her murder, she had left her new home in Rochdale, to pick up something from her old house in Birmingham. She had intended to return to Rochdale from Birmingham on the same day but ended up staying overnight with her sister-in-law.

The next morning, Tracey travelled to her old house, where two men barged in and abducted her. She was then driven to a churchyard and set alight. She was discovered by a passer-by a few hours later crying for help on the steps of the church. Her clothes were still smouldering, and her burns were so horrific the man who found her thought she was wearing a costume. She had 95 per cent burns to her body. Tracey Mertens fought long enough in hospital to give detectives as much information on her abduction as she could, but she died around 12 hours later. Her murder remains unsolved.

Reminded me of this case that is equally horrific if not more:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dunblane - I remember my mam and dad being traumatised for a day or 2 by it and I was too young to understand what had happened. They were expecting my sister at the time (unknown to me till months later) and called her Sophie after one of the victims.

Was too young for Dunblaine to have an impact on me but I follow tennis and years later Andy Murray revealed he was in the school that day hiding in the gym. Read an aritcle on it and it was horrific, a man with 700 rounds of bullets shooting at five and six years olds, 16 dead in total.

Sandy Hook a few years ago had an impact on me, again a similar crime but this time 28 children killed. The aftermath of it was even worse because gun nuts from the NRA and Trump supporters spread nasty online conspiracy theories that it didnt happen at all and that the grieving parents were just "crisis actors". One prominent pair of parents who lost their son in the massacre went on to call for gun controls. What they got for their troubles was death threats from gun nuts and they had to sell their house and move state completely.

They were found in the new location and doxxed online, more death threats came and they had to move again. The far right conspiracy theorist and Trump supporter Alex Jones was behind a lot of it on his Infowars channel. The parents sued him and won. As if having your child murdered wasnt bad enough their whole life was then turned upside down and they were frightened for their lives that they too were going to be shot and all just for having an opinion that America needs gun controls.
    Another one i found quite chilling was the former model Eric Locks killing of Sonia Blount.
    He set up a fake facebook profile and tricked her into meeting him in a hotel in Tallght where he strangled her.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hotel-killer-eric-locke-is-rooming-with-a-vile-paedophile-teacher-who-raped-pupil-7-36166473.html

Yeah the murder of Sonia Blount in the Plaza Hotel, Tallaght sticks with me as I drive by it now and again and am reminded of it. Theres another murder in Tallaght that sticks too, a young lad called Dale Creighton on a pedestrian bridge on New Years eve 2014 got hopped on by six men and one woman who beat him up in a sustained attack that went on and on until Gardai showed up. In court a witness said he was like a rag doll and even though he was unconscious they were holding him up against railings to beat him some more. When he dropped to the ground they literally danced on his head. He went into a coma and died in hospital two days later.

Thankfully all of them were convicted. It happened not far from the Plaza Hotel and when you drive under the pedestrian bridge you can often see flowers there where it happened, that makes it stick in the mind as well as you know its his parents putting them there and that then makes me think of how devastated they must be. :(

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was too young for Dunblaine to have an impact on me but I follow tennis and years later Andy Murray revealed he was in the school that day hiding in the gym. Read an aritcle on it and it was horrific, a man with 700 rounds of bullets shooting at five and six years olds, 16 dead in total.

Sandy Hook a few years ago had an impact on me, again a similar crime but this time 28 children killed. The aftermath of it was even worse because gun nuts from the NRA and Trump supporters spread nasty online conspiracy theories that it didnt happen at all and that the grieving parents were just "crisis actors". One prominent pair of parents who lost their son in the massacre went on to call for gun controls. What they got for their troubles was death threats from gun nuts and they had to sell their house and move state completely.

They were found in the new location and doxxed online, more death threats came and they had to move again. The far right conspiracy theorist and Trump supporter Alex Jones was behind a lot of it on his Infowars channel. The parents sued him and won. As if having your child murdered wasnt bad enough their whole life was then turned upside down and they were frightened for their lives that they too were going to be shot and all just for having an opinion that America needs gun controls.

Yeah the murder of Sonia Blount in the Plaza Hotel, Tallaght sticks with me as I drive by it now and again and am reminded of it. Theres another murder in Tallaght that sticks too, a young lad called Dale Creighton on a pedestrian bridge on New Years eve 2014 got hopped on by six men and one woman who beat him up in a sustained attack that went on and on until Gardai showed up. In court a witness said he was like a rag doll and even though he was unconscious they were holding him up against railings to beat him some more. When he dropped to the ground they literally danced on his head. He went into a coma and died in hospital two days later.

Thankfully all of them were convicted. It happened not far from the Plaza Hotel and when you drive under the pedestrian bridge you can often see flowers there where it happened, that makes it stick in the mind as well as you know its his parents putting them there and that then makes me think of how devastated they must be. :(

I live in Tallaght and remember the case at the bridge well. I heard he was thrown head first down the concrete steps of the bridge and some even worse thoughts I hope aren't true.

Another more recent case was the fella from Clondalkin who was part of a stags and they were drinking in the Killinarden Inn. Some altercation happened and he was beaten to death few hundred meters down the road by I think 3 fellas. Cross and flowers still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Would this have had anything to do with someone not giving two lads a smoke?

I remember two lads that were around my age at the time killed some poor chap on his way home from the pub because he had no smokes to give them, happened in Finglas too.

May not be the same incident but those two lads got joke sentences too (one was only 16) and have both gone on to commit fairly serious crimes since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The case of the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs is incredibly fcuked up considering the ages of the perpetrators.

Just in case anyone is tempted, do not look for the videos of this. It’s not something you want to see. Reading is horrific enough.

jay1988 wrote: »

I remember two lads that were around my age at the time killed some poor chap on his way home from the pub because he had no smokes to give them, happened in Finglas too.

May not be the same incident but those two lads got joke sentences too (one was only 16) and have both gone on to commit fairly serious crimes since.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/two-in-court-accused-of-murdering-vincent-parsons-1.4045159

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ush1 wrote: »
    I live in Tallaght and remember the case at the bridge well. I heard he was thrown head first down the concrete steps of the bridge and some even worse thoughts I hope aren't true.

Another more recent case was the fella from Clondalkin who was part of a stags and they were drinking in the Killinarden Inn. Some altercation happened and he was beaten to death few hundred meters down the road by I think 3 fellas. Cross and flowers still there.

yeah I remember that recent enough murder near the Killinarden Inn. Another case of lads just getting pissed (and likely coked up) and then the aggression comes out in some sort of stupid verbal altercation and it goes way too far. What would have been a fist fight years ago with maybe the victim suffering a bad beating seems to have progressed into murder where lads are literally kicking the sh1t out of their head while they are on the ground unconscious.

When I drive the dual carriageway in Tallaght those three different murders (Plaza hotel, pedestrian biridge, Killinarden pub) click in my mind as I pass by the locations of them. There is something eerie about passing the spot where you know a murder happened, it just makes you think and shake your head in disbelief that some poor soul actually lost their life in that spot. It makes you think how precious life actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

None of these crimes would have happened in Minority Report!! Or in Japan.
    There was an interesting murder in Japan about 10 years ago where a British girl was killed and left in an outdoors bathtub in the apartment balcony. The killer went on the run and got plastic surgery to disguise himself, and spent about 2 years working construction before he was caught.
    Also the girl from Wexford, who was out for a night in Japan, and her and friend and 2 American Nikki Minage band musicians went back to hotel together. Supposedly he was a very religious young advocate in America. And one of the blokes strangled her. Very sad. He will still be in his hard labour disciplined prison in Japan as he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I remember that recent enough murder near the Killinarden Inn. Another case of lads just getting pissed (and likely coked up) and then the aggression comes out in some sort of stupid verbal altercation and it goes way too far. What would have been a fist fight years ago with maybe the victim suffering a bad beating seems to have progressed into murder where lads are literally kicking the sh1t out of their head while they are on the ground unconscious.

When I drive the dual carriageway in Tallaght those three different murders (Plaza hotel, pedestrian biridge, Killinarden pub) click in my mind as I pass by the locations of them. There is something eerie about passing the spot where you know a murder happened, it just makes you think and shake your head in disbelief that some poor soul actually lost their life in that spot. It makes you think how precious life actually is.

I pass by the n81 regularly. I have even cycled it many times. It’s completely different by day and late night/early morning. By day there can be gangs of young lads hanging around the square but they will mostly behave. Late at night, these gangs with drink and drugs in them can become veral and clannish. Lots of dodgy estates either side the n81 around the vicinity of the jobstown inn. The hill is a nightmare to cycle around that area if you going towards blessington.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The horrific life and death of little Peter Connelly, more widely known as the Baby P case.

I followed the story at the time and I've rarely read anything that induced such feelings of utter heartache for what he endured to feelings of searing, primal rage towards those that were guilty. Ive become a father since the case and I cannot bring myself to read anything about it again.

Since I became a dad I find anything to do with kids very very tough to read. That one hooked me though and I really wish it hadn't, absolutely horrific.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The murder of Anne Sorthall by Roy Webster in Wicklow. 2 families destroyed. He seems to have lost it in a moment of madness and got the mandatory life sentence. Horrific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

None of these crimes would have happened in Minority Report!! Or in Japan.
    There was an interesting murder in Japan about 10 years ago where a British girl was killed and left in an outdoors bathtub in the apartment balcony. The killer went on the run and got plastic surgery to disguise himself, and spent about 2 years working construction before he was caught.
    Also the girl from Wexford, who was out for a night in Japan, and her and friend and 2 American Nikki Minage band musicians went back to hotel together. Supposedly he was a very religious young advocate in America. And one of the blokes strangled her. Very sad. He will still be in his hard labour disciplined prison in Japan as he deserves.

The lack of remorse for the death of that Wexford girl is shocking, they are empty shells of humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny BGood

Marioara Rostas murder back in 2008, murdered in a house in south inner city Dublin, found years later up in the Dublin mountains.
    Incredibly sad death for a girl who was completely innocent.
    Ironically the “alleged”perpetrators are now either dead or in prison on separate charges.
    The house were the murder occurred now caters for students.
    I’m led to believe that people who live on the street and students that live in the house have experienced lots of paranormal activity.
    Safe to says its a house with a lot of secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Suckler wrote: »
    Shanda Sharer. There are other websites that give more detail but this is enough -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

That is horrific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Ah yes, the murder of Nicola Furlong. Such a pretty girl. Why she went back to the hotel with that monster I'll never understand. The killer has shown no remorse but thankfully the Japanese have a proper justice system so he won't be enjoying freedom anytime soon. Compare to how the Irish justice system treated the Japanese student murdered by the jihadi in the Dundalk terrorist attack in January 2018. The Egyptian terrorist confessed he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS yet the Irish authorities immediate reaction was to brush it under the carpet "shhh, don't talk about that, it was mental health issues". Our so called justice system a national embarrassment on the world stage. The victim's older sister, Shiori Sasaki, said it best: "I can't understand why a mentally unstable foreign national, whose origin was unknown, was allowed to be in the town. Mr Morei had his rights protected but my brother was deprived of his. It is truly infuriating and will forever be unforgivable".

RIP Nicola Furlong.
    RIP Yosuke Sasaki.

9ovLg23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I listened to some of that and it was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Absolutely appalling. Haunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

iamstop wrote: »
    I still remember where I was when I heard Jam Master Jay was killed.

Well today, 18 years later, 2 men have been arrested in connection to the murder.

https://pitchfork.com/news/2-men-arrested-for-2002-killing-of-run-dmc-jam-master-jay/

There was a Netflix doc about it that I watched last year.

RIP JMJ

Scumbag drug dealers argument, brought it on himself, how much money would he have made from music, yet the greedy bastard bought 10kg of cocaine, to ruin his own community, and greed got him killed. Not a tragedy at all in my eyes, funny how some people see him as a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

coinop wrote: »
    Ah yes, the murder of Nicola Furlong. Such a pretty girl. Why she went back to the hotel with that monster I'll never understand. The killer has shown no remorse but thankfully the Japanese have a proper justice system so he won't be enjoying freedom anytime soon. Compare to how the Irish justice system treated the Japanese student murdered by the jihadi in the Dundalk terrorist attack in January 2018. The Egyptian terrorist confessed he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS yet the Irish authorities immediate reaction was to brush it under the carpet "shhh, don't talk about that, it was mental health issues". Our so called justice system a national embarrassment on the world stage. The victim's older sister, Shiori Sasaki, said it best: "I can't understand why a mentally unstable foreign national, whose origin was unknown, was allowed to be in the town. Mr Morei had his rights protected but my brother was deprived of his. It is truly infuriating and will forever be unforgivable".

RIP Nicola Furlong.
    RIP Yosuke Sasaki.

9ovLg23.jpg

On Nicola furlong, I'm pretty sure she was barely concious, the guy carried her out of the bar into a taxi. Folks if you see men carrying unconscious women out of pubs, maybe enquire at least. Might get you punched in the face but it mght also save a woman's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry i was replying to a post that seems to have been deleted while i was typing

do you mind deleting that link? Mods? It's a relative.

edit: no, that murder is some other poor unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Years havnt passed yet but that lad I saw more than 2km from his house back in April will haunt me for eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I remember being in a nightclub in Dublin City centre about 12 years ago I'd say. It could be quite rough at times but we never had any real trouble. This night a girl we knew from Finglas advised us to leave before it ended. We told her not to worry about us, we could take care of ourselves. She pointed at a group near us and said, "He just got out of prison after killing someone who wouldn't give him a cigarette and doesn't like the look of yous".
    Needless to say we left before the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mcgovern wrote: »
    I remember being in a nightclub in Dublin City centre about 12 years ago I'd say. It could be quite rough at times but we never had any real trouble. This night a girl we knew from Finglas advised us to leave before it ended. We told her not to worry about us, we could take care of ourselves. She pointed at a group near us and said, "He just got out of prison after killing someone who wouldn't give him a cigarette and doesn't like the look of yous".
    Needless to say we left before the end.

No one went to jail for the crime Jay is talking about

Advertisement