Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

I find the most common hysteria on these forums now is the hysteria of those claiming every news story related to Covid is hysteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is the worst example of the media stoking up Hysteria I have seen....

I stopped reading once I saw indo in the link.

...You should do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

I find the most common hysteria on these forums now is the hysteria of those claiming every news story related to Covid is hysteria

I find the most common hysteria on these forums now is the hysteria of those claiming every post that claims every news story related to Covid is hysteria.. is hysteria.

See? We can all do that, it's not helpful ;)

Anyway, the new headlines are about Kamala Harris so you can all take a breath

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I am surprised The Journal and others haven't put a headline out with news that Russia has approved a Vaccine for Covid 19.

That's major news, it will be rolled out within weeks.

Limpy wrote: »
    I am surprised The Journal and others haven't put a headline out with news that Russia has approved a Vaccine for Covid 19.

That's major news, it will be rolled out within weeks.

Well when it as actually been approved for mass production and only been released for use in Phase III clinical trails, its not actually that exciting, given a few other vaccine candidates are already in Phase III.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Largely unknown and relatively untested apparently.

Well when it as actually been approved for mass production and only been released for use in Phase III clinical trails, its not actually that exciting, given a few other vaccine candidates are already in Phase III.

Approved according to the NYT.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/world/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval.html

beauf wrote: »
    Largely unknown and relatively untested apparently.

Plenty of people brought to labs to be tested from prisons ect. Its Russia they can skip the humane part's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Plenty of people brought to labs to be tested from prisons ect. Its Russia they can skip the humane part's.

Putin's daughter (i'll assume the scientist daughter) was one of the trial subjects. But don't let that fact stand in your way of some sh1te-talking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

At least the prisoners are being made use of. Makes a difference to having them watching Sky Sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭GPoint

Independent.ie publishes misleading headlines bordering lies.

Recent examples being naas hospital cluster and ukranian plane with covid passenger who never had covid symptoms but had heart problems and so was taken to hospital.

Whats wrong with journalists, are they paid for how many clicks their article gets these days or what!

Emmersonn wrote: »
    At least the prisoners are being made use of. Makes a difference to having them watching Sky Sports

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Where's the fear mongering? And how is it baseless?

I'd say it's only realistic to think it'll be around a long time yet. You think it'll disappear some time soon?

You think it'll disappear some time soon?

Yes, the worst of it has passed unless we get a second virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

people on this forum are going to be devestated when we all dont end up like the walking dead.

"my child is 8 years old in first class, but i 100% dont regret keeping him home for 3 years while the world moved on with so many unknown factors. we knew from day1 there was long term effects"

Aids/Hiv is worse then covid. Life must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

More people have died of the flu lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Aids and HIV have medications that make it possible to live with them now. They can also be prevented by wearing a condom when having sex. Not comparable at all.

Neither of which are nearly as contagious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why the comparison with the flu. This virus is additional to the flu it is not a case of one or the other.

I agree some media can be a bit sensationalist, but it would still be a mistake to get too complacent. I personally try to take advice from Govt and HSE. The less third party opinions the better. That includes journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

joe40 wrote: »
    Why the comparison with the flu. This virus is additional to the flu it is not a case of one or the other.

I agree some media can be a bit sensationalist, but it would still be a mistake to get too complacent. I personally try to take advice from Govt and HSE. The less third party opinions the better. That includes journalists.

It’s all relative. The death rate for under 70’s is at 0.04% which is less than the flu. You don’t see this hysteria every year over the flu though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I predict that (with the proviso that things don’t change significantly) that the excess deaths for 2020 v the average for the previous 5 years will be less than 1000.

I predict that (with the proviso that things don’t change significantly) that the excess deaths for 2020 v the average for the previous 5 years will be less than 1000.

Interesting look at the numbers so far here:

https://twitter.com/grahamneary/status/1293312732989657089?s=21

It’s all relative. The death rate for under 70’s is at 0.04% which is less than the flu. You don’t see this hysteria every year over the flu though.

Personally I think the second wave of deaths we need to anticipate now are those directly related to the lockdown and the current completely disproportionate response to a pandemic that is over.

Those deaths are only really beginning now. Suicides related to the impending recession and missed cancer diagnoses to name just two. Unlike the nursing homes these deaths are related to young working people for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Interesting look at the numbers so far here:

https://twitter.com/grahamneary/status/1293312732989657089?s=21

Thanks.

Useful to read on thread reader https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1293312732989657089.html

Interesting - my prediction Is probably looking too high but I do fear excess Covid lockdown deaths in future years but they willingly be tough to quantify. Then again you will have less road deaths/accidents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is there an Ombudsman we can lodge a complaint about RTE to?

With Wave/Surge 2 they have been a fúcking disgrace and for many Irish it's the only news they know of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oh yes i forgot that over 70s don't exist so this is totally fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

More maths for the panic stricken:

Obesity (25-27% of you lot {in the nicest possible way, of course), presents 200% more risk of cov-atality.
    Heard on the radio today that obesity also applies a negative factor of x2/3 of any future vaccine received being effective (might already stand at 50% typically for anyone, not factoring weight etc)

(Self-imposed^) Obesity is closely related to diabitiesT2 (sugar, junk foods), and cancers, cardio disease and so on.
    ^ The only exception would be specific medications such as steroids which produce extra weight as a side effect.

Why not start a media war on the obese instead, it would actually do more good, and save more lives if they can adopt some postive changes, while they can?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Great post from Mollser in the daily thread
    RTE are remarkable, actually shameless. Absolutely lashing the government for not following the NPHET and not going to level 5. Then turn around and do a section on all the businesses around the country that will be devestated by going to level 3 all because of the govt.

They're a shambles, and completely oblivious to the fact that it was a RTE journo who leaked the thing causing this omni shambles

Also George completely ignoring the Dublin #'s coming down, now choosing to refer to the 14 day rate not coming down - picking and choosing stats to suit his doom laden narrative.

RTE, they're not good for the oul mental health!

Don't give RTE TV views, don't use their horrible Player and don't give their website clicks

Advertisement